[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NVG / night vision thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: PVS14.jpg (111 KB, 970x410) Image search: [Google]
PVS14.jpg
111 KB, 970x410
Are there any NVGs on the civilian market that can compare to the PVS-7 or PVS-14?

Does a decent NVG exist for less than $1000 USD? or even $500?

Preferably something that doesn't require an IR light to function.

ITT: NGVs, night vision, optics.
>>
>>30546302
You can buy PVS-7 and 14s as a civilian, brand new from the factory.

>Good NVG
>$500

Nope. If you want in the NVG club with Gen2+ or Gen3 is going to be at least $2k.
>>
>>30546302
Doesnt matter, the first flashbang will fry your NODs
>>
>>30546405
>What is autogating?
>What is auto shutoff?
>>
>>30546302
Not OP but are goggles cheaper than scopes and are there any you guys would recommend?
>>
>>30546302
One of the local pawn shops has a starlight scope for $140. Should I?
>>
>>30546772
Hell yeah. It's objectively less effective than modern gear, but if it works it's still some kinda of night vision and it is a very sweet historical piece.

Worth more than $140 even if it's fried.
>>
>>30546302
Yes. You can buy PVS-7s and PVS-14s. Some of the PVS-14s being build are better than issue gear.

No. Expect to spend several grand on good NV and support gear.

Check of tnvc.com
>>
>>30546987
Thanks,

OP here, I understand that the PVS-7 and PVS14 are on the civilian market, but I wanted to know if there are any comparable alternatives for less than $1-2k
>>
File: JP_Night_Vision_Goggles.jpg (34 KB, 1017x558) Image search: [Google]
JP_Night_Vision_Goggles.jpg
34 KB, 1017x558
>>30547076
You can buy civilian night vision scopes for like $600, but they are somewhere around Starlight or Gen-1 quality. You can hunt with them from a static hide I guess, but it's not really the same kind of sneeky beaky experience.

Also there are civilian thermal optics on the market for cheap, but similarly they aren't very good, and compared to military thermals they feel like using a kid's toy.

When it comes to night optics, I'm strongly in the camp of either do it right, or don't do it.
>>
File: 2016-06-12 23.10.59.jpg (1 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-12 23.10.59.jpg
1 MB, 2988x5312
>>30546452
>only in Gen 3's

>>30547076
you can buy junk that will burn out and buy another when it does or buy once cry once
>>
>>30547076
Not really. Most comprables you find are going to be house brand/manufactured models. Cheap ones usually have issues. Good ones will have better tubes that mil issue.

A solid Gen 3+ setup will be $3k+ before you buy mounting equipment, which will run a grand or so more. Figure $600-800 for an IR laser.

FYI TNVC now has financing set up. JRH Enterprises is a popular place that's more prepped oriented and run good sales occasionally.

Another place is Night Googles, which is TNVC's less expensive, Hunter focus branch. They have some Gen 2+ PVS-14s monoculars for around $2k. They also have some with a different but similar housing at around $1.5k. They're friendly guys who don't mind helping if you call.
>>
>>30547701
To help out some more this may be your best bet: http://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/night-vision-monoculars/night-optics-ambia-gen-2-monocular/
Looks like it uses the GI mounting set up.

Here's an inexpensive PVS-7 if you'd rather have that for some reason: http://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/night-vision-goggles/ngipvs-7-gen-2-comspec/
>>
illegal to allow a non-US Citizen to look through US Gen3 Night Vision Devices, even on US soil. Again, this is a crime punishable by fines and prison sentences.
>>
>>30547886
Or to look at the manual. Also can't take it out of the country.
>>
>>30547928
i knew that, but i just thought it was funny that you can't even let someone look through it
>>
>>30546843
>>30546772
Nvm it was actually about $440 and they already sold it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.