[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm about to buy my first home defense rifle. Now I used
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: Ruger.jpg (106 KB, 1400x425) Image search: [Google]
Ruger.jpg
106 KB, 1400x425
So I'm about to buy my first home defense rifle. Now I used to not really need a gun in my neighborhood. But a bunch of fucking homeless people basically moved into the woods around my condo complex to shoot their heroin and shit and a bunch of people living in the area have had their homes broken in to, so I feel now is the right time to pick something up.

I'm thinking for my first rifle a Ruger 10/22. Would that be a good idea? Or I heard someone suggest I pick up an SKS but I'm not too versed in rifles and would like some suggestions for a first one.
>>
>I'm thinking for my first rifle a Ruger 10/22.

You're thinking correctly. That's the first rifle for millions of people for a reason. Not exactly ideal for home defense and .22lr is still kind of expensive but you can't go wrong with a 10/22 as your first rifle

Marlin Model 60s are nice too
>>
Just buy a Mossberg 500 famalam, cheap, reliable, will kill homeless junkies ezpz
>>
>>30544449

Yeah my buddy told me .22 is more for killing turkeys and busting melons but hey with the rate of fire and accuracy of the 10/22 I think I can get a drum magazine and unleash a torrent of destruction on Skooter and Deshawn to protect my animu I'll look into a Marlin.
>>
>>30544459
Absolutely. You can get 100-round drum magazines for the 10/22 and have a blast. It's more than enough firepower for home defense in my opinion but you know how people are about .22lr

I'm pretty sure your average heroin addict will get out of dodge the second they're getting shot at too, I used to know those kinds of people and they wouldn't stick around just because "oh it's only a .22"

>>30544452
This is also a really good idea if home defense is your absolute #1 priority
Everybody should have a shotgun anyway
>>
>>30544470

God I don't want to run the risk of looking like a bitch on an anonymous anime message board but here I go what would you rate the kick on a Mossberg? I've been looking at them and they look pretty desu but I suffered a severe Deltoid Muscle strain that tore the musle and I just have had a bad shoulder ever since.
>>
>>30544483
It would really depend on how bad your injury is/was. The kick is perfectly manageable, you get used to it quick. Could get a recoil pad. I'm just an average-sized guy who usually dislikes recoil and I don't have a problem with it.

Honestly you might want to rent one and see if it bugs your shoulder or not. One definite advantage of the 10/22 in your case is that the recoil is literally non-existent.
>>
>>30544483

I wouldn't worry about it, I shot a 500 at a range in Cape Town for the first time back in January (no-guns britfag) and it wasn't too bad, I'd been firing all sorts for a couple hours already so my arms were pretty tired, and it was still manageable, and I'm of a pretty average build.
>>
>>30544483
Most invaders will hear the gun rack, piss themselves and fuck off.

If they don't, some mossberg models have thick ass should pads that attach to the stock.
>>
>>30544426

I'm honestly thinking of an SKS as well but I don't think I'm well informed enough to make a decision on getting one, I mean is it a good rifle besides the "For the motherland!" value?
>>
>>30544526
It was an excellent rifle for the price, until the price shot up

If you can get one cheap I suppose go for it, but it's going to kick too. They didn't build 'em for comfort

Since you mentioned you live near the woods it might actually be required by /k/ law that you have an SKS in case you have to go inna
>>
>>30544526
I don't know what they cost today but back when I was getting into guns they were great rifles for the price. Today you might be better off with an AK pattern rifle.
>>
>>30544534

I'm willing to drop about 350 bucks for a rifle, and true but a Ruger would be pretty gud for a bugout bag too wouldn't it?
>>
>>30544541
I've been seeing them in the $400-450 range lately, which is obscene. At that point you absolutely should just save up for something else.

I remember when they were like half that

>>30544543
From everything you've said, I'm sticking with my recommendation of the Ruger 10/22 yeah

So many aftermarket parts you can customize it to your hearts content. Excellent for a bug-out bag, since weight of ammunition is such a non-factor with .22

You will not regret going with the Ruger, guaranteed
>>
>>30544426
A .22 rifle is not ideal for home defense, get something centerfire.

>>30544459
Drum magazines for the 10/22 are sketchy at best, don't do this.

>>30544483
If you're recoil shy I suggest an AR-15 rifle, Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport is a good one.

>>30544543
That's not a hell of a lot for a rifle.
You could look at a Hi-Point 9mm carbine with some Redball 20 round magazines
>>
File: hi-point_995TS.jpg (31 KB, 600x151) Image search: [Google]
hi-point_995TS.jpg
31 KB, 600x151
>>30544937
>You could look at a Hi-Point 9mm carbine

Was literally just about to post this. I'm the one who seconded OP's choice of the 10/22 earlier but this is a better option after some consideration.

OP, it's within your price range, reliable, and will absolutely cover both home defense and casual range shooting. Low recoil for your shoulder as a plus. Ubiquitous 9mm instead of the iffy state of getting .22

The only real downside is that it's ugly, to some people, but honestly who cares
>>
File: slide-R.jpg (204 KB, 940x275) Image search: [Google]
slide-R.jpg
204 KB, 940x275
>>30544937
>>30545002
RedBall mags for reference
>>
>>30545117
Not gonna lie I'd be nervous using one of those no matter how many positive reviews I read

I'm sure they work fine just the idea makes me nervous
>>
>>30545147
You could buy one an run it through it's paces.
It'll beat the shit out of the old jamtastic ProMag 15r mags, that's for sure.

Otherwise there are pistol caliber carbines which are a lot better, of course they'll cost a lot more.
>>
>>30545183
Yeah, I've got a Kel-tec Sub2k and it's my baby

I screwed up and got it in .40 but it's never let me down

Really I think pistol carbines are the ideal home defense weapon (and actually "the one gun" in general) and I'm surprised they aren't brought up more often
>>
File: Ruger_PC4.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1015) Image search: [Google]
Ruger_PC4.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1015
>>30545209
.40S&W isn't awful out of a rifle barrel honestly, if I were to get a firearm in .40S&W, my first thought would be a carbine.
>>
>>30544426

get the 10/22 , drum mag and fantasize about the day when u get to light up d'shawn and his homies tyrone and jamal
>>
File: ruger_1022_magazine_guide.jpg (720 KB, 1141x1750) Image search: [Google]
ruger_1022_magazine_guide.jpg
720 KB, 1141x1750
>>30545812
Stop recommending 10/22s with drum mags, that's fucking terrible.
>>
>>30545858

25 rounds of .22 is to generous for a bunch of nigs
>>
>>30544459
I'd stay away from drum mags. Just buy a few bx-25s. I've heard that all of the drum mags are trash.
>>
>>30545774
Yeah, I don't mean that .40S&W is bad at all - what I mean is that out of such a lightweight carbine like the Sub2k you REALLY feel the punch and it's a little off-putting

Plus now I'm stuck with it using Glock-22 magazines and I'd much prefer the 9mm version that can interchange with standard Glock-19 mags. That way you can have the aftermarket 30-rounders

Still, no complaints, and I've come to like the extra punch even if people shit on .40 all the time
>>
>>30544426

Not a very viable defensive caliber, but 25 rounds of 22, or 100+ with a drum will definitely ruin someone's day
>>
>>30546095

Also, if you suppress it you should won't make your eardrums bleed

Shooting indoors sucks
>>
>>30546076
.40 S&W seems like a waste from a carbine. The whole reason it exists is that pansies can't handle 10mm recoil out of a pistol, so why not get a 10mm carbine?
>>
>>30545858
butler creek mags are completely hit/miss
>>
>>30546151
There really aren't a lot of companies making 10mm rifles or carbines.
>>
>>30546571
Mechtech makes conversion kits (ATF legal in either direction) for 10mm 1911s and Glocks. This also means that the Glock versions can take 30 round extendo-mags.
>>
>>30544483
There are light recoil loads for this reason. Buckshot and slugs are the ones with the real recoil and most people suggest bird shells for HD anyway. If you do go the route of shotgun a second recoil pad (on top of the factory one) will extend the length of the stock so make sure the length isn't a problem on the model you pick.
>>
>>30544426
The only reason you should use a .22LR for home defense is if you plan to turn your murder into a rape, then murder.
>>
File: waxslugs.jpg (14 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
waxslugs.jpg
14 KB, 435x435
>>30546629
>most people suggest bird shells for HD anyway
Eeeh, it'll work, but I'd suggest moving up to something else, or at least turn them into wax slugs.
>>
>>30546591
Hmm, wish they made one for the Beretta 92, with the trigger it'd be perfect for me.
>>
>>30546151
.40 is an acceptable compromise round

Like I said, I made a mistake by getting the kel-tec in that instead of 9mm
>>
>>30544511
>Most invaders will hear the gun rack, piss themselves and fuck off.
Here we go again...
The first thing a home invader should hear is the cracking of his skull as the buckshot blasts through his face.
>>
>>30544511
Oh shit I didn't even see that post, DON'T DO THIS

The only warning you give is a loaded gun pointing at them and tell them to GTFO or suck down your lead shot.
Racking your pump for intimidation is not advisable.
>>
File: 1466348546579.jpg (41 KB, 640x398) Image search: [Google]
1466348546579.jpg
41 KB, 640x398
>>30544426
Since ur obviously a pussy
>not trying to be offensive
>pointing out facts
For a starter rifle, buy a stock ruger 10/22 and practice marksmanship fundamentals.
There is little to no recoil at all from a .22LR and is the perfect rifle for getting into the sport.
The ammo is extremely cheap, (the cheapest on the market) and rightfully so.
Later when you have practiced and you have the money you can easily upgrade your 10/22 into just about anything with the millions of aftermarket parts.(meaning changing the barrel, stock, trigger, etc.)
Outside of the ar-15 this is the number one most customizable Firearm on the market.
Once you feel you have mastered this rifle you can move on to other rifles that have different actions, or you can try larger caliberd rifles as well.

TL;DR
Buy the 10/22 OP you faggot, you won't regrat it.
>>
>>30547351
>>30547623
Yeah
"Racking the pump will scare them off" is a meme and one of the worst kind

That kind of stupidity will get you killed. You don't use the readying of your weapon as an intimidation thing, you should have it ready already.
>>
>>30548665
another example - in movies when people only cock the hammer when they're SERIOUS

that's the kind stupid horseshit that gets people killed
don't rely on intimidation just fucking shoot when you're under attack
>>
>>30544526
Yes it's a good gun in a good caliber, besides historical value. The only thing to worry about is some of them have a free floating firing pin, which means they can go off very easily with rough handling.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.