[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RUGER® GUNSITE SCOUT RIFLE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10
File: scout.jpg (25 KB, 825x195) Image search: [Google]
scout.jpg
25 KB, 825x195
Any of you /k/unts have pic related? I want to get one in .308. Would you recommend getting one? What are some good alternatives?

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/specSheets/6803.html
>>
>>30538594
Do they take proprietary magazines or are they AICS pattern?
>>
>>30538603
They take AICS mags
>>
>>30538594
jeff cooper pls
>>
>>30538594
>What are some good alternatives?
a semi automatic rifle

this isnt 1970
>>
>A semi auto rifle
>this isn't 1970

Bolt actions are much more reliable, never had a failure. Also, Remington 700, amazing rifle.
>>
>>30538594
M1 Garand
PTR91
Fn FAL or variant these are about the same price as a gunsite scout

Savage hog hunter, axis 2, & scout rifle are all half the price of the rgs
Mossberg MVP is probably ok, bit could be dildos
>>
File: CVZzPUv.jpg (728 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
CVZzPUv.jpg
728 KB, 2592x1456
If you want a scout rifle its probably one of the better options, its a fun gun, shoots well and has a great trigger. Only shitty things is the average sights and sometimes has extraction issues (casing stuck to the bolt) but its probably shooter error then the gun it self. Can't find a pic of mine but here have some DTA cancer.
>>
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-557-urban-counter-sniper/

Ignore the gay as fuck branding.
>>
I love mine, buuut I ended up putting a standard 1.5-5x on it, and I still need to find a different hider/brake, since the factory hider rings.

I'd probably buy it again, but the Cooper scout rifle concept is a little old, since I don't think they had 1x adjustable scopes back then, and the only mag-fed bolt rifle was the Lee-Enfield
>>
i got my L1A1 for $500
you can do much better than a ruger
>>
I'd recommend getting an AR-10, it's the same price and much more flexible.

The scout rifle concept was kind of a failure, but your heart wants what your heart wants.
>>
>>30539207
I don't buy this claim because even in the uncommon case (ie the m4a1's 1 per 2500 rounds per DoD) of a semi-auto malfunction, it happens after firing the bullet. And clearing the jam is the same level of effort as cycling a bolt action.

The only sensible role for bolt actions is long range and/or large calibers where accuraccy is the #1, and the scout rifle concept kind of softens that
>>
>>30538594
If you are just looking for a bolt rifle go with a brand new winchester 70, they are so buttery smooth and the wood stock is quality.

If you are wanting scout set up go with the gunsite. Magpul makes aics mags now for cheap. Before i would recommend against just because the mags cost like 50-80 bucks, but now that magpul exists go for it.

I will say, the bolt isnt the smoothest, and the metal will be a bit rough, but its a bolt so wont fail you unless your ammo is shit.

I will add that, if youre getting this as a shtf/backpacking rifle, look at the keltec su16c/ca. Its light, and folds in half.
>>
>>30539420
your L1A1 is not "precision" accurate though and would fail as a scout rifle.
>>
>>30539490
if its a scout rifle you want
get a scout rifle
not a battle rifle, obviously
>>
File: ruger-6830.jpg (37 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ruger-6830.jpg
37 KB, 1000x1000
>>30538594
this review is pretty honest about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQ6NXRjyNQ

i want to get the 6830 model
>>
File: Family Photo.jpg (734 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Family Photo.jpg
734 KB, 2000x1500
>>30538594
I have one. Going to replace my scout scope with a VX-1 for better long range durr hunting.
>>
>>30538594
To be honest the Gunsite's bolt movement is shittier than the American.
>>
>>30539490

> a scout rifle
> "precision" accurate

Fucking lol
>>
>>30539475
Well played sir
>>
>>30539420
Holy fuck that thing is heavy. Sub 7 lbs or get the fuck out.

>>30539819
Scout rifles have relatively short, lightweight barrels. This does not mean in any way that they are not accurate within their chambering's limits.
>>
>>30538594
I have one, I like it

not much else to say, it's probably overpriced for what you get but that's the Ruger story
>>
File: Scout012.jpg (940 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Scout012.jpg
940 KB, 1600x1200
>>30538594
BTW I own a Steyr Scout.

Its so much fucking fun. Too bad the pills are $1 each.
>>
>>30539479
the magazines never cost that much, ruger themselves sell plastic 10 round AICS mags for 20-30 bucks a pop
>>
>>30542460
how is the action on that? looks sexy as hell, but like $200 or so more than the Ruger
>>
>>30542752
Its breddy good.

Does take a bit of breaking in to become buttery smooth, but it is worth it in the end. Far superior to the Ruger, IMO. Its a complete package. But thats just my opinion. I've held Rugers many times, but never fired one.
>>
>>30539207
>Bolt actions are much more reliable
Blanket assumption that arguably is wrong in many circumstances
>>30539207
>never had a failure
lol no
>Remington 700, amazing rifle.
it's A rifle that is outclassed and outperformed by other rifles in at least one category of many except availability of aftermarket parts. If it was so good, you wouldn't be compelled to believe that every single part can/should be replaced.
>>
>>30539232
No iron sights
>>
File: IDidntMeanToBlowYourMind.jpg (98 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
IDidntMeanToBlowYourMind.jpg
98 KB, 480x640
The scout rifle concept is a little dated, and most quality battle rifle can compete in accuracy nowadays. But if you just have a hard on for a lightweight precision bolt gun, go for it.
I've killed the shit out of stuff with mine.
>>30542481
The Ruger brand poly mags are absolute trash. stick with ACIS or Alpha Industries.
>>
>>30538594
>jeff cooper "muh scout raffle" fudd shit

euuuuuuuughhhhhh this isn't 1969...
>>
>>30538594

I've got one. It's a sweet little gun and points really nice. I've got the international/canadian version that doesn't have the threads for a break.

However, don't get the 16.10" barrel version. Get the 18.7" version. The extra 2.6" inches really improves accuracy with the .308 calibre.
>>
>>30539420
Huge heavy gun
>>
>>30538594
I wanted one so bad for a really long time. Changed my mind saving up for a socom 16 now, just seems more practical.
>>
File: RGS.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
RGS.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
just picked this up and havent shot it yet so i cant say too much about it. looks good, good fit and finish and im not holding out much hope for the flash hider but that doesnt matter.

i dont care if its a dated concept and im sure there are better options. but i wanted a bolt action to use with my hybrid thats still in jail. i like ruger, its a nice looking rifle with a threaded barrel and a neat concept even if its dated so the RGS made sense. plus it comes in walnut!
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.