[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NO SCIENCE FICTION. JUST SCIENCE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Star-Wars--Rebel-F_2899655b.jpg (56 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars--Rebel-F_2899655b.jpg
56 KB, 620x387
Of course we will never use gunpowder weapon in space. And don't get me wrong, but the reason is not that gunpowder doesn't detonate in vacuum (there are ways to make this shit work anyway).

The true reason people will not go around with AK47 on the Moon or on Mars is that they would be way too effective -- to the point of causing a shitload of collateral damage if misfired.

You take down a man, but the bullet ends up digging a hole in a Martian base some 50 km in the distance... not so clever for you to use shit that might overkill.

>collateral damage
This is why new systems will be invented, both in space and at low gravity environments.

Lasers in short bursts will hit their targets, their energy being absorbed by the target.
Similarly, there will be miniaturized propelled weapons, not unlike requiem guns: they will fire some kind of torpedo, but the bullet will be engineered so that it will cease propelling and "brake" if it has flow -- say -- more than 500 m (unless programmed to do otherwise).

/k/ possibilities are infinite. But no AK47 in space, unless the situation is really desperate.
>>
>>30535618
there is a lot of real estate on a planet, what are the odds you are going to hit human habitation? the only issue with firing an ak on the moon would be it overheating.
>>
>>30535618
>to the point of causing a shitload of collateral damage if misfired
OH no. Bullet holes. How dangerous.

PROTIP: No.
>>
File: 1364101674545.jpg (61 KB, 761x264) Image search: [Google]
1364101674545.jpg
61 KB, 761x264
>>30535618
>You take down a man, but the bullet ends up digging a hole in a Martian base some 50 km in the distance... not so clever for you to use shit that might overkill.
>they will fire some kind of torpedo, but the bullet will be engineered so that it will cease propelling and "brake"
You must be retarded.
>>
>>30535618
If anything space colonization will be a highly centralized no-rights-allowed affair. There will be no hopping on your space Mayflower to go plant some crops. The only guns will be government guns, and they don't care about collateral damage, only effectiveness.
>>
>>30535618
........you are stupid. You are stupid. And don't forget you are stupid.

Does being on a different ball of dirt suddenly make physics stop working? Density? Mass? Friction? Gravity?

If you shoot a round into a steel bulkhead it remains a steel bulkhead no matter what is on either side of it.

And it sounds to me like someone has been obsessing over >"S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Blood of Mars"
a little too much.
>>
>>30535618
>gunpowder doesn't detonate in vacuum (there are ways to make this shit work anyway).
Gunpowder doesn't detonate period you mong, it burns. And it already works just fine because each case has it's own oxygen supply due to one of the powder ingredients.
>>
>will never use gunpowder weapon in space

Soviet Union begs to differ. Dat 23mm auto cannon satellite
>>
File: 1450655490076.jpg (220 KB, 1200x985) Image search: [Google]
1450655490076.jpg
220 KB, 1200x985
I had an idea for a weapon for use in spacecraft. It sprays super heated ball bearings that cool rapidly within 50m, preventing it from puncturing the hull.
>>
>>30535904
Fuckin based cannon, shoot down the ISS anon, hack it, go for it.
>>
>>30535973
it doesn't load from those right? it just sticks four extra mags to the top of the gun? it wasn't heavy enough to begin with?
>>
>>30535973

Now see, while the idea of putting spare mags on the weapon is interesting I doubt anyone using this thing would actually do it.
>>
>>30535735
this
>>
>>30536116
why?
>>
>>30535735
If so, it's going to be the colony's government - and I'm not really sure they'd bother too much. Most of the colonists - early ones anyway - are going to be scientists and engineers and builders, and they are not going to care about politics much - they came to do a job and help everyone else to their jobs, and that's what they're going to do. Secondly, conflict between different colonies on mars or the Moon is rather absurd - at least 99 times out of 100, I'd predict that anyone living these is going to side with anyone else living there instead of whoever's back home. Especially if they don't have to come back to Earth if they don't want to. It's not going to be Lunar Russians vs Lunar Americans, the most likely space conflict would be Lunar Everyone teaming up and thumbing their noses at Earth-based governments and telling them to come up there themselves if they feel so tough.
>>
>>30535830
'Detonate' just means 'burns really fast' anyway...
>>
>>30538451
No, it doesn't, there is a difference.
>>
>>30538451
There is a difference. Deflagration (burning) is subsonic and detonation is supersonic. Particularly important when dealing with potato cannons so that you don't detonate the gas mix and blow your shit up due to higher pressure.
>>
>>30538161
>why?

because it's an absolutely retarded idea
>>
>>30538451
No it doesn't you retarded fuck, the rate of expansion is several orders of magnitude in difference.
>>
>>30535973
is that a real gun I need it if it is
>>
>>30538161
> Let me just add an extra five pounds to my weapon
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.