[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have weapons industries become too entrenched, complacement and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: JT_Esteban.jpg (33 KB, 664x528) Image search: [Google]
JT_Esteban.jpg
33 KB, 664x528
They're too big to fail, there's barely any competition anymore in-nation, and the designs being produced seem pretty "safe" & lacking ambition or vision.

Not to mention it's not easy to get rid of things we no longer need, because "Muh Jobs".

Is it any wonder we struggle to adjust to changing paradigms, when our industries are largely configured to fight previous styles of conflict?
>>
This is how it works in all military industries though.

There will never be more than maybe three companies in a given country capable of fulfilling most contracts, because it's a specialized field, and you need extremely high unit numbers.
>>
Complete deregulation will allow the people to design arms again.
>>
File: 1462383670836.jpg (79 KB, 564x720) Image search: [Google]
1462383670836.jpg
79 KB, 564x720
Almost nothing you said is true.
>>
>>30522814

Personally I'd go the antitrust route. Old school Teddy Roosevelt.
>>
>>30522791
Alright, give an alternative that accounts for the expensive R&D costs and overall low production rates of most military equipment.
>>
>>30522807

We had plenty of companies in World War II.
>>
>>30522900

That is the big problem.

The system as is is pretty terrible.

But fixing it may make it worse.
>>
>>30522814

Would that make the situation better?
>>
>>30522814
>deregulation
Has never solved any problem ever and in many cases makes them worse.
>>
>>30523004
No, the NFA is holding American guns back.
>>
I think the big game-changer will be when we finally rid our military of fossil fuels.
>>
>there are laws that don't allow people to design guns
no there aren't.
>gun companies are comfortable where they are
no they aren't. Beretta sits back for 5 seconds and closes their eyes and half their market gets scooped by Glock. Colt's got S&W and Springfield at their heels at all times, etc.
>>
>>30522915

No, we had companies that made normal shit convert to making war materiel. It was still Colt, Browning, and Remington designs for the most part. Outside of the Garand, most small arms used by the US already existed a decade before the war started.
>>
File: pistrolgripshotgunfullstock.jpg (23 KB, 530x336) Image search: [Google]
pistrolgripshotgunfullstock.jpg
23 KB, 530x336
To illustrate your point with another, here is a partial list of Willys Jeep manufacturers in WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_MB#Production

Half the companies on the list no longer exist. And the barriers to entry in the automotive industry are higher now than they were years ago.

The aerospace industry has similar problems. I'm not sure Curtiss-Wright even exists anymore. Could Cessna even land a subcontractor role in defense today? Dunno. Northrop, Boeing, and MD seem to win every contract.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 625x582) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 625x582
>>30523085
>Colt will never continue Snake guns or make Detective Specials chambered in .357 magnum
>>
What we have today works too good. Why innovate, why make a new design when the AR-15 is as light, reliable, and simple to use as it is?

The next jump MIGHT be caseless ammunition but look at why we have cases at all. Look at what they can do that cap and ball can't.

The only benefit we get from caseless ammunition is weight. And it's not enough savings to make it worth the investment.

We aren't having growth because modern weapons are so excellent. Yeah I love 1911s, revolvers of any kind, and milsurp as much as the next gun enthusiast.

Know what I trust my life to though? An AR-15 and a striker fired pistol.
>>
File: 1464488641160.jpg (477 KB, 1280x929) Image search: [Google]
1464488641160.jpg
477 KB, 1280x929
>>30523004
you misspelled "regulation"

name one problem deregulation made worse

next you'll tell me tax cuts are bad

picture unrelated to post content
>>
>>30526038
>name one problem deregulation made worse
California had rolling brownouts for years after electricity deregulation.
>>
>>30522791
Allowing the importation of firearms may help, at least on the civilian side. American companies would have to compete with foreign manufacturers
>>
>>30526059
Not to be a cunt, because you're right, but I'd call shit like that "re-regulation". Dereg in telecoms was a good thing, in banking and energy not so much.
>>
I'd say one of the biggest problems is that civilians are not allowed to own explosives

>>30523004
The problem is 99% that the "deregulation" is always just some jew scam to sell everything to their pal for pennies on the dollar

I don't quite understand why the government doesn't directly employ people and do things themselves.
Would save a bundle, but maybe thats impossible in this jewified age of diversity based hiring
>>
>>30525983
The next step is moving away from bullets altogether, and going to 20-25 mm air bursting grenades
>>
>>30522814
Would it really? The main problem is that there's no one who wants to go through the risk of getting a business loan for firearms to make a small factory to pump out a couple hundred units a month. Or for that matter can in this current market.

Given the demand for camp pistol carbines there's probably a market for someone who's like a reverse Kel Tec, making one design very well and focusing everything on it.
>>
>>30527179https://i.4cdn.org/k/1467855220112.jpg
Memegewehr 9001:
>looks like a mauser or a tiny StG44
>takes glawk mags
>in 9mm and 10mm
>extraneous Nazi symbols everywhere
>>
>>30525983

We're fighting low-level insurgencies and terrorists, while our industries are geared towards fighting the Cold War.
>>
>>30522791
have you never been to a large gun show?
there are like a billion gun manufacturer's
hell, anyone with a nice machine shop can start making guns.
>>
>>30525921
Curtiss-Wright exists but they're more in the field of "solutions" and Cessna (Textron) is sitting comfy with general aviation. Also look at all the new entrants into aviation with drones. We see new companies like Insitu and Tektronics entering the field
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.