[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im starting to rethink the effectiveness of throwing knives.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12
Im starting to rethink the effectiveness of throwing knives.

>12 and 13 year old girl and boy arguing
>girl leaves
>boy throws a fucking dagger at her
>embeds into her skull
>she lives

While not practical, could a trained person or a soldier use knife throwing to effectively kill someone?
>>
>>30515290
It's just a CoD tacticool meme weapon like karambits
>>
>>30515290
If they aim for vital areas, I don't doubt it.

But like you said, not practical.
>>
>>30515290

are you that 13 year old boy OP?

gtfo summerfag
>>
Throwing knives are only really effective when used as a toxin delivery weapon; when treated purely as a blade, they will always be third rate. Everything a throwing knife can do, something else can do better.
>>
File: Pinoy Steel karambits.jpg (85 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Pinoy Steel karambits.jpg
85 KB, 500x375
>>30515290
>could a trained person or a soldier use knife throwing to effectively kill someone?

Yes, but AFAIK they were generally used as a distraction because distance is a major factor in throwing and it's always in flux.

>Throw at someone's face to distract them
>Throw at something breakable to attract attention to that area
>Throw it away so the sound of it hitting the ground draws attention

etc.

>>30515313
>SE Asian utility knives
>Tacticool
>>
just use a gun senpai
>>
>>30515290
>While not practical, could a trained person or a soldier use knife throwing to effectively kill someone?
Only one of those people that are like those gun people that can hit coins and stuff. And even that accurate can break down in a stress situation.

Base of the skull will kill them and obviously the eye would be a good target.

I think the best use of them is to wound your opponent and then use other means to kill them.
>>
Needs more saperka.
>>
File: IMAG0267.jpg (141 KB, 1598x904) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0267.jpg
141 KB, 1598x904
>>30515345
>>30515313
Regular throwing specific knives wont do anything since theyre made for sticking into targets and thats it, i meant throwing regular knives for that maybe one in a million chance that it might be a better idea or your only option.

I have an Ontario 499 that used to be a service knife and i imagine throwing that thing for whatever reason and hitting someone in the head with either end wouldn't end well for them.
>>
Just make sure they match your katana and karambit

Why would you carry a throwing knife over a pistol if your goal is to kill or incapacitate someone?

>Eurocuck/Auscuck/Canacuck/Calicuck

You can't use throwing knives for self defense anyway.
>>
>>30515290
It's not practical or useful, but still that's kinda impressive.
>>
>>30515290
Full news story btw.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3600462/Girl-12-miraculously-survives-boy-13-accidentally-threw-dagger-HEAD.html
>>
>>30515429
>If I pretend that OP said some dumb shit I can make myself look smarter by comparison so long as nobody with more brain cells than teeth reads the thread.

Brilliant.
>>
ITT:
>"Is this physically possible"
>"GET A GUN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Christ this board is full of autism.
>>
>>30515530
Don't know what you would expect from a Korean body pillow forum.
>>
>>30515290
>while not practical
>effectively kill
If we're ignoring practicality, is there anything left to measure effective killing? At that point it's a pretty binary dead/not dead.

Yeah of course, it could kill somebody. But probably have to hit something softer than the skull... the thing in OP looks like it's not even making it all the way through to the brain with how short the knife is in >>30515497
and how much is sticking out.
>>
>>30515421
Still issued at sere schools
>>
Didn't WWI soldiers sharpen the shit out of their shovels? I love an improvised weapon.
>>
File: 1445402252515.png (167 KB, 295x282) Image search: [Google]
1445402252515.png
167 KB, 295x282
>>30515421
>Regular throwing specific knives wont do anything since theyre made for sticking into targets and thats it
>>
>>30516280
sharpened or not that shit gonna fuck you up
>>
>>30516058
Effectively as in able to throw it and kill or fatally wound someone instead of just leaving with a flesh wound or bruise.
>>
>>30515497
are those ball bearings?
>>
>>30515290
>While not practical, could a trained person or a soldier use knife throwing to effectively kill someone?

A properly trained person could use a pool noodle to kill someone, so yes. It is "possible"
>>
>>30515497
Anyone know what knife this is?
>>
>>30516317
Unless you got an artery then no. Also it wouldn't be instantaneous. This isn't COD you fuck.
>>
>>30515290
You know I heard they made this machine that launches tiny knives at people to kill them, can't remember what it's called though.
>>
>>30518834
Was it mentioned somewhere in the Geneva Convention?
>>
>>30518824
I mean, a small 13 year old chinese boy did embed a cheap novelty knife into the back of someones skull, im sure an adult man with a heavy knife could do worse.
>>
File: power-ranger-got.jpg (132 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
power-ranger-got.jpg
132 KB, 800x1067
>>30515497
what megazord does that summon?
>>
>>30518792
i think its the one from the warcraft movie
>>
>>30515409
I need to get me one of them fightin' shovels
>>
>>30520340

That's the shovel you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o

The USA are doomed. Nothing will stop the PLA with its ultimate weapon. Soon millions of Chinese soldiers will storm California's beach, green shovel in hand, while the US citizens won't be able to defend themselves due to oddly shaped rifles, low cap mags, and unpractical bullet buttons.
>>
>>30518834
>>
File: knife hand.png (468 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
knife hand.png
468 KB, 800x450
THE ENEMY CANNOT PUSH A BUTTON IF YOU DISABLE HIS HAND
>>
>>30516238
And the ASEK is still garbage.
>>
File: 1464327964410.jpg (85 KB, 917x900) Image search: [Google]
1464327964410.jpg
85 KB, 917x900
>>30522034
>>
>>30522223
I actually expected that to be posted, thank you for satisfying me.

you robust motherfucker
>>
File: 1458672757219.jpg (11 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
1458672757219.jpg
11 KB, 680x510
>>30522286
well there you go
>>
Threw it at her by mistake... yeah.

http://amazingstoriesaroundtheworld.blogspot.ca/2016/05/young-girl-survives-after-boy-threw.html?m=1
>>
Have you tried throwing a knife at something OP? It's difficult to hit a target blade tip first. It takes practice getting to know the weight of the knife and hitting a target at a known distance with just the right spin.

Used to do it just killing time in the Army. We'd have little competitions using survival knives and bayonets. It's not easy, and would be damn near impossible under the stress of combat in a fluid situation. If you need to throw a knife that means you're already in deep shit wishing you had a handgun.

I'm not saying it's impossible but would need a shitload of time practicing daily. Like marksmanship, it's a friable skill requiring regular practice to maintain the ability to do effectively. This kid either just got really lucky or spends his days in his mom's basement putting holes in the walls like my dad used to do with darts.

What you'd basically be doing is giving your enemy a weapon. Sure, you might hit him on the head with the handle but he'll just pick it up and gut you. He's pumped full of adrenaline too.

A gunshot to the head is no guaranty either. My father was a cop, shot a guy in the head who jumped him with a knife. He survived. Permanent brain damage and he drooled but he lived. This was back when police were issued .38s. Dad went out and bought a S&W .357. He used that a couple of years later on a guy trying to run him down with a car. Didn't go so well for the guy in the stolen Caprice, one shot to the throat killed him.

Department issued Glocks when he had 20 years in but never needed to use it. Only had the two shootings.
>>
>>30522511
To add to this, Sonny Barger complained about shooting a guy in the head with a .38 back in the 60's but it didn't penetrate the guys skull.

Barger was the President of the Hells Angels.
>>
>>30520773
>not posting the superior version
>>
>>30522511
never said it would be practical.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.