[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here tried making a PVC pipe bow? I usually consider
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: USA_007459.jpg (364 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
USA_007459.jpg
364 KB, 768x1024
Has anyone here tried making a PVC pipe bow? I usually consider myself relatively handy, buttfuck me if I haven't successfully made one of these yet just to msee if it's something I could learn to be good at. So far I'm 0 out of 3 attempts (in my defense 2 of the attempts were with pipe too thin). I made a basic pvc longbow with fiberglass driveway posts as a core, but it's a bit overpowered and probably pulls at upwards of 70-80 lbs, so I'm trying to make one that's a bit easier to shoot till I get the basics down.

Also, archery general I guess? Tips for new shooters would be very welcome.
>>
Just get like a $20 shitter bow from Walmart and some extra arrows.
>>
>>30506947
They only have youth bows and don't currently sell arrow shafts, just the tips and nocks and such as its not currently bow season. Because that's apperently the only time people need archery supplies
>>
>>30506875
Start with something basic for your first bow.
A longbow off of Amazon will do, 45 lbs is what I started on and now I shoot at 130.

Don't lose your arrows and some music while shooting never hurts.

Make sure you learn the different types of bows and their uses as well.
>>
>>30507057
Different types of bows have different uses?

Yeah, I figured I'd make one around 45 lbs and work my way up, I can shoot this heavier one fairly well, I just want more arrows and a lighter draw for a while so I can master the basics
>>
You can find a used hoyt recurve and pick up some new limbs for it cheap.
>>
Based on the YouTube tutorial videos, making my own out of PVC should be much easier than it has been. The guys doing it don't exactly look like rocket surgeons. And you can make some neato different types. I was bored and trying to see if anybody tried to make their own
>>
Haven't tried myself but I've been wanting to. I ended buying a slingshot instead and used to hurl rocks and firecrackers
>>
>>30506875
I've done it - first few were recurves 30-35#, then switched to making holmegaard-style longbows 40-50#.

Honestly it's not a fantastic introduction to archery. Paracord strings without nock points on them are total garbage. Kind of further to this, you're shooting around the handle (i.e. no shelf cut at all), the bow itself is slow and if you're using paracord, your string is going to be stretchy and make the bow even slower. The loss of performance is not great, but it also makes getting arrow spine right a bit of a pain in the ass - you wind up needing very soft-spined arrows with very heavy points to get them to fly straight.

Honestly I would go and buy a decent recurve or longbow and get the basics down on that. Shooting trad takes time to develop.

From a being handy perspective, familiarity with how a bow is supposed to be and what makes a good bow will be useful things to have if you intend on making bows, so I'd recommend buying a shooting a professionally made bow for that as well. Then you could even look into making self bows or backed board bows or whatever you like really - fibreglass-backed bows or even composites if you're really crazy about bow making. The resources are all out there and something like a board bow isn't impossible hard.
>>
>OP's pic looks like a pussy
heheheeheeheee...
>>
>>30506875
You could've worked part-time in the 50 hours you spent to make a PVC bow and bought a 100 bows.
>>
>>30507119
>Different types of bows have different uses?
Nope. Bows are like knives in that they're all the same and can all do every task effectively and just as well as the next.
>>
>>30506875
http://backyardbowyer.com/
I followed his instructions and made one myself for $10 or so. Shot fairly well. He has a youtube channel.
>>
get a bow on craigslist.
its cool you want to do it yourself but somethings are much easier to learn when learned on non-shitty equipment
>>
>>30509761
Kek
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.