[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remington R51 still a piece of shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: Screenshot_20160703-012727.png (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160703-012727.png
2 MB, 2560x1440
https://youtu.be/GV7MQ1DIqy4

So the Remington R51 is officially back.

>failures to eject, failures to extract, failures to feed, double feeds, bulged cases, beats the shit out of the shooters hand
>"At least the sights aren't falling off this time!" ...they're still just as loose and poorly fitted, Remington just put a set screw in them to keep them on instead of manufacturing them better

Is anyone really surprised? At least it isn't firing out of battery and spitting the mag out now. Maybe after another recall and 2 year redesign period Remington can make it not trash
>>
>>30484652
I'll stick to my original Remington 51
>>
>>30484652
shitty guns, fat hands.

I don't own, or want either.
>>
>>30484652
>unsupported chamber
>that brass
Absolutely fucking disgusting. No fucking reason for them to have not figured out how to at least do that part of the gun correctly.
>>
>>30484711
Did the original one work alright? What went wrong?
>>
>>30485011
No it fucking didn't. That's why they erased it's existence and tried to unfuck the name with a 2nd try.
>>
>>30485011
The current one is a re-design of a decades old model.
>>
File: download (9).jpg (9 KB, 270x187) Image search: [Google]
download (9).jpg
9 KB, 270x187
>>30485027
I think he's referring to the ORIGINAL model 51, which was actually quite respectable. However, producing forged handguns is far too expensive now, so they cheaped out and altered the action
>>
>>30484652
Jesus this review is awful.
He complains about all these issues but I can see that most of them are caused by his disgusting fat hands clipping the bottom of the slide. No wonder why he is complaining that his hand is getting "beaten up". If he knew how to shoot, it wouldn't be a problem.
The handgun looks like it should work; and it should be noted that this is a brand new pistol that hasn't be broken in yet, so things like this are expected. Let's see him put another 200 rounds through it and then come back and review it.
>>
>>30484652

Remington is fucking garbage holy shit. How can they have a second chance and still fuck it up? After the first one failed why didn't they just go back to the original Model 51?
>>
how do companies still manage to fuck up making a handgun in 2016?
>>
>>30485053
This design doesn't call for a break in period. There are very few designs that need a true break in and in the modern age producing any product that requires a break in will seem silly to most.
>>
>>30485053
I was really bothered when I looked at his grip from his first-person POV. The only way to do that with your thumbs is to slip your right hand under the left palm which fucks up your grip and is insanely uncomfortable (at least for me)
>>
>>30485053
>brand new pistol and hasn't been broken in yet.
Get the fuck out of here you dingus. Unsupported chamber has nothing to do with a "break in" period. Clean the fucking gun up at the shop and make it good to go instead of handing it off to the customer as a "break in period". Absolutely fucking triggered.
>>
>>30485068
All designs benefit from being broken-in. This handgun is one of them. Breaking in firearms is still a thing, and will always be a thing, so long as firearms are machined from metal.
>>
>>30485053

His hands caused the gun to bulge cases, failures to eject, and a round to nosedive?
>>
>>30485095
Lack of chamber support does not cause FTFs and FTEs. It causes some slightly ugly brass, but no one cares about mangled brass unless you are a poor autistic NEET who can't afford buying brass ammo in bulk and has hours upon hours to load your own ammo. All mechanical items, no matter how clean or whatever have certain tolerances when machined. These tolerances mean that there can be slight variations in how parts fit together and function. The only way for the parts to TRULY fit together and function well is to wear them against one another (lapping) until broken in and seated.
>>
>>30485123
>feed issues not due to fat hands and a poor grip
yeah, you're an ignorant cunt
>>
>>30485141
>The only way for the parts to TRULY fit together and function well is to wear them against one another (lapping) until broken in and seated.
Which for some fucking fantastic reason my Sig, Glock, and dick-butt beat to shit RIA 1911 never had issues with.

Poor testing caused this failure, and poor testing was the cause of the previous iterations failure.
>>
File: 20160223_213217.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160223_213217.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>30485123
His hypersonic jello arms distorted the dimensions of the chamber by emulsifying the steel, which led to the bulged casings
>>
>>30485049
I think /mu/fag has one. He said it was clicky.
>>
>>30485167
Loose fitting parts generally don't have an issue with being broken in.
Ever wonder why high-end 1911s seem to 'suffer' feed issues right out of the box?
You probably haven't because you don't own any expensive handguns, but aside from the point, the tight fitting parts on such high-quality firearms most certainly require break-in to function properly. Seriously, do some fucking research.
>>
>>30485150

Nosediving rounds is a magazine problem and those failures to eject seem like an extractor that's too damn tight. And his grip isn't even a problem. Sure, it's incorrect, but he is not riding the slide. How much is Remington paying you to defend this thing?
>>
>>30485184
>seriously, do some fucking research

The R51 is in no shape or form intended to resemble a high-end firearm like a Gucci ass 1911 from a high end turbo smith, it's supposed to be a basic bitch functional concealed carry oriented gun that is reliable, cost-effective, and easy for the user to carry and conceal.

NONE OF THESE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE THE NEED FOR CUNT-TIGHT FITTING THAT CAUSES FAILURES IN FEEDING, EXTRACTION, OR FIRING.

The sights are still fucked up, the chamber is still unsupported, the gun is NOT good to go.
>>
>>30485214
All auto-loading handguns have unsupported chambers by design. The question is whether or not that particular design will be prone to detonation. A small bulge is a casing is meaningless, look at S&W SD40s and then come back and talk about bulged casings. Are the sights screwed up? Sure, that needs to be fixed. But these other superfluous problems are just that, superfluous. Run the gun through its paces, and then come back and talk about it.
>>
>>30485109
Except it's not. Not if the factory has any decent understanding of proper design and finishing. Sure some tightly fitted guns take some time, but this isn't meant to be that. Its round two of a horror show meant to defend your life with and they said it was fucking fixed.

Two years and this is what they have
>>
>>30485141
>slightly ugly brass
No 9mm brass should look like that without being retarded hand load or a stress test
>>
>>30485184
>Ever wonder why high-end 1911s seem to 'suffer' feed issues right out of the box?

Any yet many if them don't. Just depends who happens to be making them. So smiths just have a better idea of what does and does not need to be super tight. Lots of those "high end" 1911 are safe queen show pieces
>>
That fucking gun is going to fucking explode. I've never seen a primer cratered that bad.
>>
>>30485699
Even the "better" brass had a primer that flowed around the firing pin and looked like it cracked. No pistol should do that shit with factory ammo.
>>
File: 1466697465987.jpg (15 KB, 295x300) Image search: [Google]
1466697465987.jpg
15 KB, 295x300
>>30484652
What the fuck Remington?

Also, who in the fuck is this reviewer? He's absolutely garbage.

The only Rem product I own is an 870. Looks like that will be the only Rem I ever own, too.

Seriously though, how are they fucking up this badly?
>>
>>30485141
Remington please go.
>>
>>30485734
Reviewer is a dude who's been bugging Remington for updates the entire two years when they wouldn't talk to anyone to the point where he was one of the first to get a new R51.

Also yeah, this is a total joke. Personally I was sure they'd quietly kill the R51 and never re-release it, and if they did it would be because they managed to unfuck it. I would have never thought they'd release another total piece of shit.
>>
>>30484652
>At least it isn't firing out of battery
Isn't that what it's doing exactly when it barfs up bulged brass at you? Gun doesn't quite close/lock and the brass just barely stops short of making you blind.
>>
>>30485011
The old .32 and .380 pistols from the earlier 20th century worked fantastically.
>>
>>30485053
So Remington can afford to pay shills but not quality control?
>>
>>30484652
Just what the fuck would cause the primers to do that? is it the ammunition or somehow the gun?
>>
>>30485027
>No it fucking didn't. That's why they erased it's existence and tried to unfuck the name with a 2nd try.

No you fucking mongoloid. The first one was from the early 1900s. The second one didn't work for shit and now they're on #3.

The first one worked fine, given what was acceptable at the time.
>>
>>30485053

Unsupported chamber aside, this guy has goddamn grizzly bear hands and he's shooting a pocket pistol. It's not meant for target practice. It's similar to a PPK. "Get out of my grill" and/or kneecapping commies from a helicopter skid. It seems like it worked fine when he had the factory mag in it, the previous gen mag made it hang up.

I'm still not buying one but I will use a little bit of common sense and critical thinking on the subject.
>>
>>30487500
>he's shooting a pocket pistol. It's not meant for target practice
That's nice, I have fun at the range with my pocket .380 often and don't have any of those problems.

>It seems like it worked fine when he had the factory mag in it, the previous gen mag made it hang up.
It had failures with both.
>>
>>30484652
Meanwhile, Remington has an active recall for their 887 shotgun
>>
>>30485067
They typically don't, Remington is an outlier for their price class.

A RIA 1911 or Taurus PT92 can be had for less than $400 and those manage to not be dogshit.
>>
File: 1467453569902.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1467453569902.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>>30485141
>a bad grip or limp wristing causes cases to bulge
No.
>>
>>30485734
I'd look over the extractor and ejector on the 870 if I were you.
>>
>>30487306
The gun, the chamber is poorly supported so the pressure starts going the other way.

>>30487500
Show me a Beretta, Kahr or Llama pocket pistol in .380 or 9mm Luger which shits the bed like this.
>>
>>30487500
>compact pistols are not meant for target shooting and therefore don't need to be reliable

Also how does the dude having large hands someone induce failures? I have large hands and I have yet to handle any gun, however small, that fails like that, and I've had a lot of pocket pistols.
>>
>>30487850
>That's nice, I have fun at the range with my pocket .380 often and don't have any of those problems.

Great. That has no impact here. It wasn't designed to be a target gun. Don't hold it to the same standards. It should shoot reliably and it doesn't. That's bad enough.
>>
>>30488135
>Show me a Beretta, Kahr or Llama pocket pistol in .380 or 9mm Luger which shits the bed like this.

Are you dumb? Serious question. You're so ready to fan boy you're not even reading my argument, which is critical of the R51.
>>
>>30488202
>Also how does the dude having large hands someone induce failures? I have large hands and I have yet to handle any gun, however small, that fails like that, and I've had a lot of pocket pistols

The slide is contacting the web of his hand. It's why he has two darker red marks where the hammer area is biting him too.
>>
>>30488360
If you watched the previous videos or knew about the pistol you'd know that's from the grip safety, it isn't slide bite. If it were slide bite he'd have two cuts. The grip safety on R51s has sharp corners, sticks out a fair bit, and requires a fair bit of force to disengage. It digs into your hand just depressing it, and shooting it is even worse. It's why he says "if 1911s hurt you so will this".
>>
File: face.gif (1 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
face.gif
1 MB, 300x169
>>30484652
>first review of the redesign is some guy using the lowest rated production 9mm ammo and loading from the breech
>>
>>30488375
>If you watched the previous videos or knew about the pistol you'd know that's from the grip safety, it isn't slide bite. If it were slide bite he'd have two cuts. The grip safety on R51s has sharp corners, sticks out a fair bit, and requires a fair bit of force to disengage. It digs into your hand just depressing it, and shooting it is even worse. It's why he says "if 1911s hurt you so will this".

I disagree.
>>
File: u4TAOfM.jpg (53 KB, 1173x637) Image search: [Google]
u4TAOfM.jpg
53 KB, 1173x637
>>30484652
I dunno that's some shit tier ammo he's using
Look at that bulge
>>
>>30488761
That is just the knot
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.