[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /k/, I have a Mosin Nagant I'm refinishing (see the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Hello /k/, I have a Mosin Nagant I'm refinishing (see the pic, left is before, right is currently). I had one or two questions if you'd be so kind as to help me out:

1) Purely opinion, I know, but should I stain it just a bit darker? Or leave it natural and just put the linseed oil on it?

2) I kinda want a scout style scope. Absolutely NO drilling on the receiver, I want to be able to put the gun back to stock within a few minutes. But I've seen the mounts that replace the rear sight. Any recommendations on a decent, cheap scope? I don't mind spending good money on optics, but it seems kinda silly on a gun I paid $99 for...

3) Anything else worth cleaning up/fixing/taking apart while I have the gun apart?
>>
>>30482103
Why do you want to scope it? Why not just get a rifle that can be scoped and actually be useful scoped?
>>
>>30482291
Mainly just because it's a cheap, fun gun that's dead cheap to shoot (I've got a big box of Russian surplus ammo). And also the "why the fuck not?" factor. That, and coupled with the fact that anything I do I want to be easily reversible, just more of a "because I can" kind of thing, I guess?
>>
jmeck mount doesn't require drilling, but requires you to remove the rear sight.
>>
>>30482381
wait, no, I was thinking of the brass stacker mount that requires the removal of the rear sight, you don't have to remove it with the jmek.

you will need a bent bolt for the jmek though, since it's not a scount scope setup. The brass stacker is a scount scope setup though
>>
>>30482353
I mean, it's fun to shoot yeah, it won't benefit from a scope besides looking dumber than shit. And 54r is about the same price as 762nato now so it isn't that dirt cheap anymore.
>>
>>30482539
>looking dumber than shit
That's a matter of opinion, I personally think they look kinda cool.

>And 54r is about the same price as 762nato now so it isn't that dirt cheap anymore.
Interesting, I hadn't researched ammo prices on it lately (still burning though my big surplus crate of ammo). It's definitely a fair point.

Alright, I'll hold off on the scope for now then. It sounds like the common consensus is that it doesn't really do much.

So then, still wondering if there's anything else worth doing while it's apart? Regardless I appreciate the advice guys, I'm loving the way the stock is coming out. Looks so much better.
>>
>>30482583
>That's a matter of opinion, I personally think they look kinda cool.
no they all look dumb as hell since the scope ends up fuck high over the stock
you will look back on it 5 years from now and cringe at your shit taste.
>>
>>30482583
Just hold on to it, the prices on them are skyrocketing so when queen Hillary takes most of your salt rifles away and the nugget is the only thing we have you can sell it for massive profit
>>
get some turpentine
go to tractor supply get some pine tar

mix a small amount of both together and use a paper towel to coat the stock

do that a couple of times

a good military gun stock wax is a perfect finisher
>>
>>30482103
Today on: Bubbaing with OP we're going to look at how to fuck up a perfectly good gun and then a special episode on how to fuck your livestock.
>>
File: nugget-refinish.jpg (403 KB, 1230x1290) Image search: [Google]
nugget-refinish.jpg
403 KB, 1230x1290
>>30482103
Alright newbs, this is how you refinish a nugget.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.