[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how often do you practice shooting from the hip? i know its
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: fast-action1[1].jpg (58 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
fast-action1[1].jpg
58 KB, 600x400
how often do you practice shooting from the hip?

i know its never going to be as accurate as lining up the sights but surely with enough practice you can get decent enough to hit a target center mass to hopefully buy you some time to bring the gun up to the ready position and empty the rest of the mag?
>>
>>30481568
I actually do practice firing my handgun from the hip. More often than not I'm using a toy gun while drawing it and simulating firing while a buddy attacks me. I feel that for pistol shooting in the real world the most likely event would be personal self defense from physical attack, so that's what I practice. The practice is less about accuracy, since it's a point blank shot, but for fast draws and being able to physically defend myself for the few split seconds until the gun is out.

Sometimes I practice with point shooting rifles at the range, but that's really just for fun.
>>
>>30481568
Don't shoot from the hip, young man. Just practice to be tactically and technically proficient at firing from a Weaver stance.
>>
>>30481598
You are autistic as fuck
>>
>>30481568
Enjoy your glockleg
>>
>>30481605
>>(you)
>>
>>30481605
Why? I practice the most likely possible situation I'd use a CCW in.
>>
File: btm7v97[1].gif (870 KB, 320x179) Image search: [Google]
btm7v97[1].gif
870 KB, 320x179
>>
>>30481568
>>30481598
Don hip fire, do flash sighting
>>
>>30481767
The purpose of hipfire in defense is for drawing and firing while actually being physically attacked. In such a case you won't physically have the space to raise the pistol up and use the sights.

You obviously want to raise up the gun and use the sights if that's a possibility, but I prefer to practice for less than ideal scenerios.
>>
Delta Force Operator Training Coruse teaches students to be extremely proficient at clearing houses without aiming down sights, take that for what you will.
>>
>>30481880
That is completely untrue. Where do you get your information, tabloids?
>>
>>30481824
This
My father is a retired County Lead Investigator, he said the same thing
>>
>>30481909
Wikipedia senpai, durr
>>
>>30481880
That's just standard infantry urban training, you aren't going to have time to line up your sights and shoot Muhommad when he's 7 feet from you
>>
>>30481959
>Wikipedia
Oh, that reliable source.
>>
>>30481918
I recently took a ccw course, they had us practice the failurest drill, and the yspecifically told us to start firing fom the hip, you don't look down the sights for the first two shots.
So basically, you draw, first shot is from the hip, second is somewhere in between hip and weaver, third is down the sights.
>>
>>30481880
>Doesn't know

You don't aim when clearing a building. You move your ass trying not to get shot while tapping away at anything resembling a threat while the person behind you does the same.
>>
collateral.webm
>>
>>30482014
You lack training. You place your front sight post on the target. Am I on /k/ or the LGBT board?
>>
>>30481988
I don't know how CCW classes teach, but that sounds similar to how I was trained in defensive use of a military sidearm.

We called it a five step draw, and there were five steps fro grabbing the handgun to having it lined up with both hands on it. By step two, which was removing the handgun from the holster, it was already supposed to be rotated forward and thus usable (this is why "combat" holsters are so low cut in the front).

We were not taught to just start blasting away, but to fire the handgun at the soonest time it was needed. If you happened to need to fire it at the hip, that's when you fired it.

>>30482014
I'm old school, but even I'm not old school enough that "don't aim" is valid advice. The idea of point shooting as a means of advancing is some old shit that died in the 1990s.

Point shooting was for a time before optics and when dudes often had long as fuck weapons. For then, advancing into a room with a handgun might have made more sense than using a very long rifle, and neither weapon would have an optic on it.

These days though, if you are advancing into a room, you should have a carbine and it will most certainly have an optic on it to allow you to effectively aim. If you are the rare super squirrel type of military using a pistol for a specific reason to advance (suppressed or something), then it probably has an RMR on it.

Even then, as a civilian with a pistol, from that perspective, you should still be using the sights if possible. They are easy to use and modern training has really nailed the techniques.

I've done the room clearing thing for real and taken a lot of training courses for various situations. If you are not trying to get the most use out of your optics or sights (unless you have a full length M16 or similar with irons only), you are doing a disservice to yourself.

Hip shooting is for defense when you just don't have the time for anything else.
>>
>>30481568
The standard for almost all law enforcement used to be: 15 yards or less, shoot from the hip.

The old FBI training films are really interesting.
>>
>>30481601
>weaver
pls go
>>
>>30482014
>>30482118

You watch through doors with sights, use sights with walking pace and when making slow, coordinated movements to get more of the room in your sights, but when the TL calls a faster pace or flooding the room, or someone goes down and you need to advance quickly, you shoulder the gun and move without your eye on the sights so the guy behind you can shoot too, as soon as possible.

It's:

>Single room with one door that isn't clear, needs to be checked
Of course you'd use your sights.

Versus

>Someone got shot, is inside a room and whoever shot him is watching the door to shoot you too if you go to grab him
Blindfiring or plinking away at him in his cover with his gun trained on the doorway while someone is dying is full retard mode. You flash that shit, do as much as you can to disorient without harming your guy, then flood the room with bodies and bullets in the hostile's direction before he has a chance to think or make a plan. You completely overwhelm him and deal with injuries after, otherwise you just lost someone, guaranteed, or more if you try and save the guy. You don't aim, you fucking book it inside as quickly as possible while tapping as fast as you can.
>>
File: 1460225027254.jpg (37 KB, 500x257) Image search: [Google]
1460225027254.jpg
37 KB, 500x257
>camping with my little brother couple weeks ago
>he brought his BB gun and I bought a box of clays for him to shoot at
>give it a try myself
>decide to shoot from the hip
>mfw I bullseye the clay from 25 feet off the hip on the first shot when he's having trouble hitting them at all
>>
How about "see what you need to see." Obviously if someone is taking the mount on you, sight alignment is not strictly necessary. If someone is inside of 1-2 yards you probably don't need a hard front sight focus either. That being said, taking up a 2-handed grip allows for best possible recoil control and rapidity of follow-up shots, so the gun should generally be up and in your line of sight, both hands on it, whenever possible.
>>
>>30481984
>believing your teachers
>>
Hip shooting from a range of three feet is required for OPOTA cert/requal. Draw and fire two shots, three times. Must get 6/6 to pass, and yes I have seen people miss.
>>
>>30481704
glorious gif!
>>
>>30481568
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGmTrQXrwg
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.