[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Couple of questions about some WWII era weapons.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 800px-US_M2_Carbine.jpg (59 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
800px-US_M2_Carbine.jpg
59 KB, 800x531
Hey /k/, I've been thinking about my grandfather's old war stories and naturally, I wanted to ask you guys about his guns.

For context, I don't have exact dates but he fought for 2 years in a war that lasted from 1948 to 1960, and he would've been 18 (and hence in national service) in 1952, so presumably all weapons mentioned would've been slight improvements on their World War II models.

Anyway, what's /k/ opinion on these guns?
1) American M2 carbine - my grandfather sung the praises of this gun. Was he right? If I'm not mistaken, the M1 is considered to be top-tier.
2) German Luger (pistol) - this almost got him killed (an SAS lad had to save him), are they really shit-tier? The story goes that even after he had the guys at the barracks check it, it still fucking jammed on him. If memory serves, even war films portray this weapon as utter shit (e.g. Band of Brothers has it fire in a man's pocket and kill him). Was it really that bad?
>>
>>30476054
What country are you from...?
>>
>>30476054

M2 carbines are pretty much the predecessor of all PDWs, they're pretty solid but get a bad rap

lugers are craftsman pistols, they're intended to be hand fit and can be a little bit picky with what they eat and probably won't handle a lack of maintenance as well as other handguns
>>
>>30476076
Uk.

>>30476082
>but get a bad rap
Why?

>probably won't handle a lack of maintenance as well as other handguns
Fair enough, do they have much of a reputation of /k/?
>>
>>30476096

There's claims from the Korean War that .30 carbine rounds would bounce off frozen Chinese uniforms and shit like that. These stories aren't really founded in fact but they still were pervasive during the era.
>>
>>30476131
That reminds me, couldn't you load them with pistol rounds or machine gun rounds or something like that? I remember hearing a few stories about how they were able to accept ammo from some largely different guns and sometimes function better than they normally would.
>>
Is the m2 an assault rifle or an SMG?
>>
>>30476198
it's a little bit of both
>>
>>30476202
>it's a little bit of both
Come to think of it, there really isn't many guns that you can say that about.
>>
I unironically believe that the M2 was an improvement over the M1. Fight me /k/.
>>
>>30476131
those reports were founded more on the factor of the soldiers using the rifle firing it at ranges beyond it's cartridges capability because they fired it at the same ranges that they were to fire the Garand. At extended range the round it fires has lost enough velocity for that to occur. within its effective range of about 200m it did not have that problem
>>
>>30476443
select fire is a plus
>>
>>30476443
i don't see how it wouldn't be
>>
File: HOBJ2068_719x357px.jpg (66 KB, 700x350) Image search: [Google]
HOBJ2068_719x357px.jpg
66 KB, 700x350
>>30476054

Grandfather is K-Force vet. (Australian)

He carried SMLE. He liked any US autoloader whether it be a Garand, M1 carbine or any type of subgun. He said that you could not fire fast enough when a human wave streamed of the hills towards you, although when they got hit with a .303 they stayed hit. He also said it seemed like every commie in N Korea has some type of machine gun as they used to shoot the fuck out of everything.

He only had praise for US air and arty firepower.
>>
>>30476485
And the fact that soldiers would dump their mags on someone too far away and they are so sure that they hit them, when in reality they didn't.
>>
>>30476546
Are you trying to tell me that the M1 isn't the greatest gun ever made? What happened to this board?
>>
>>30476178
Funnily enough we still use the M2 carbines here in the Phillipines. Its old but a lot of soldiers like it, especially those who go on long range jungle patrols. My cousin said he liked his cause its lighter than the M-16 and the bullet packs a punch.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.