[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /k/ I'm moving to Alaska and I wanted to buy a glock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: g40-hero.png (260 KB, 596x456) Image search: [Google]
g40-hero.png
260 KB, 596x456
So /k/ I'm moving to Alaska and I wanted to buy a glock for bear protection, what are the restrictions on an 18 year old buying a hangun and getting a cc or just ocing? I have rifles, but I'm not very knowledgeable about handgun laws. I've shot handguns regularly, but just never looked into laws because I assumed it was a blanket 21 rule. Is that true?
>>
File: smugschooshooter.jpg (103 KB, 906x813) Image search: [Google]
smugschooshooter.jpg
103 KB, 906x813
>>30473817
guis pls help
>tfw shit meme threads and bs general threads get all the posters
>>
>>30473817

Just fucking google it you cretin.
>>
>>30473817
>bear protection

Is that seriously a problem in Alaska?
I don't know much about gun laws up there but get something else for protection from bears. A .44 magnum revolver would probably be better, but fuck that go all out and get a .500
>>
>>30473817
if i legitimately worried about bears, i'd get a draco 'pistol' or ar 'pistol'. fuck a glock, or handgun in general.
>>
>>30473817
So ya. A gun might be better then having no gun vs. a bear but GD. Have you seen a bear IRL? Have you shot a game animal before? Even with a fuck huge hug powered rifle like a 7mm mag or 300 mag anything but a clean shot will allow a wild animal to do ungodly acts of physicality. I have seen white tail deer go for 2 miles with a bad leg shot. They'll run until the bones start coming out, the hobble once they don't have bones. I watched a cougar take a perfect hit from a broadhead arrow right through the cheat. It crashed out of the tree and hauled ass, I mean hauled ass for 300 plus yards. It layed down and scared the shit out of one of the approaching hounds. It finally got so pissed off that it died. Please. And I really mean it for your sake. Take something better than a hand gun. Even bearmace has a better record then a handgun. I'm assuming though. Maybe it's not for wild animals.
>>
>>30474074
>>30474098
It would also be my all around woods gun and possible pig hunter when I'm visiting the lower 48
>>
>>30474118
9mm for bear is pretty shit. I wouldn't even use it for wolves.
10 mm is a fancy cherry bomb
.45 is nice
>>
>>30474118

Then get a high caliber revolver. That's gonna be a hell of a lot better than a Glock.

I mean, if you just want a Glock, don't let that stop you from getting one. I'm just saying it's not gonna be very practical for the purposes you're describing.
>>
>>30474116
Many Alaskans use a 10mm handgun as a woods gun
>>
legal help pls
>>
>>30473817

Get a Glock 21/Glock 41 and a .460 Rowland conversion kit. Better than .357, better than 10mm, and you get 13 rounds in a mag.
>>
>>30473817
I'm 18 with 700$ in my pocket and a GED.
Should I ice to Alaska?
>>
>>30473817

Most people experienced with bear control will suggest nothing short of 12 ga. slugs, .45-70, or a .30 caliber rifle.

.223 and 7.62x39 are both considered underpowered against something as large as a Grizzly and both are far more powerful than .44 magnum, nevermind 10mm auto.

Glock 20 for bear defense is wishful thinking.
>>
Ok everyone knock off the caliber arguing, I get it I'm a fucktard, I just want to know if I can legally own and or carry a pistol at 18. Jesus fucking christ you people
>>
>>30475206
And that's a Google question
>>
Obrez
>>
>>30473817
People have a lot of things to say regarding 10mm-44magnum and up

but what about barrel length in pistols?

In a bunch of those alaskan shows i've seen some 6 - 7 inch single actions. Pump Slug gungs and 30-06.
I'm guessing its based on price and the availability of the 30-06 for those poor guys on tv.
>>
>>30474148
what caliber for giant ass wolves that dont fear man because of outdated conservation laws done by hippies and other nature scum?

30 cal and up? 556?
>>
>>30475206
No. Alaska is still in the usa, and thus follows federal handgun laws.

Have your parents buy it and gift it to you. Thats a-ok in AK. Then again, you could not be a faggot and just get a brush gun like someone with a functioning y chromosome.
>>
>>30475115
I would say 10mm is the absolute minimum for a handgun, and that would be with the hottest and heaviest cartridges you can get.

The real trade off is weight and bulk in relation to what you are doing.

If you're really serious about bear protection then yes, 12g slugs, .45-70 and full powered .30 are essential.
>>
>>30473817
Take a fucking .44 magnum revolver or bigger. Stop being retarded and being a fanboy.
Jesus christ, getting a "hunting glock" is like getting a "dining hunting knife", pure cringe.
>>
I really want to see OP with his Glock 40 go up against a bear, I really want him to see how badly he fucked up as the bear just absorbs the rounds and becomes more and more enraged before he mauls OP to death.
>>
>>30475434
.45 and Mosin food will do. Buy yourself a deep web pechneg
>>
>>30475602
You know that the Danish Sirius Sledge Patrol (special forces dog sled team in Greenland) is issued Glock 20s for polar bear defense, right? And they have used them defensively to kill attacking polar bears with no issues. Polar bears are much bigger than grizzlies - the high-end weight for a male grizzly is 790 lb, while the low-end for a male polar bear is 772 lb (high end polar is 1543 lb).

10mm with hardcast can penetrate 5ft+ in ballistic gel and people get pass-throughs when hunting bears with it. Through what mechanism do you envision a bear "absorbing" the rounds?

There are better rounds like .45-70 and magnum rifle calibers, but for carrying around always (i.e. a handgun) 10mm allows quick follow-up shots compared to a .44, .454, .500, etc.
>>
>>30474967
I'm in southeast AK, black bears in town, brownbears out of town...
.357 too small, 44mag stil a bit small.
forget about Glock.
at 18 you can't buy, but may open carry your frieds or dads...
>>
>>30475852
you won't see the bear until you are right upon it. you might smell it first.
a polar bear you'd see coming.

PS: Handgun has to be kept in middle layer of clothing, they don't all take -40F well. so hand cannons inconvenient
>>
>>30475434
.45-70

It takes care of bears, too.
>>
>>30474169
>>30475450

These are the only people know what they're talking about in your thread OP.

You can own a handgun at 18, you just can't buy it.

Most common handguns are Glock 10mm as in your pic, or a revolver in .357 or .44.

However that's usually what people take fishing. If you're picking berries or going for a walk or whatever just bring a hunting rifle.

Mostly though I'd say if you see a bear don't shit your pants and simply take your walk in a different direction.
>>
>>30475926
To add to this, I'd wait until you get there and see what they sell in the shop and get a gun for that. Shipping rates on airmail ammo are like $70 an order.
>>
>>30475852
Wow, really makes you think, I had no idea some 18 year old nogunz was on par with Danish Special forces in addition to being able to stockpile 10mm, jeez you really convinced me.
>>
File: 1465881991168.jpg (31 KB, 491x707) Image search: [Google]
1465881991168.jpg
31 KB, 491x707
>>30476060
Damn... really makes you think, huh?
>like it or not, /pol/'s patrician memes run through all of 4chan and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
>>30475206
get a fucking shotgun you idiot

buy 000 and slugs and bear mace. if ever contacted by a bar, try the bear mace first
>>
>>30475926
Hello retard. You can buy a handgun in a private sale at 18.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.