[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a retard and stripped out the screw holes for the scope
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: NDS-22-web-bl-Q.jpg (63 KB, 600x353) Image search: [Google]
NDS-22-web-bl-Q.jpg
63 KB, 600x353
I'm a retard and stripped out the screw holes for the scope mount on my 10/22 receiver.

Is there anyway I can nigger rig a solid mount, or am I doomed to buying a new receiver / getting this one re-drilled and tapped.
>>
just get a helicoil thread repair kit.
>>
dont be a retard, take it to a gunsmith. have them put in a helicoil
>>
>>30461601
this is probably a better idea, diy doesn't seem to be your thing
>>
and get a torque wrench ffs
>>
just put peanut butter in the hole, let it dry and it'll work just fine
>>
>>30461560
>nigger rig

/pol/ plz go
>>
>>30461643
Kill yourself.
>>
If you don't want to pay for a helicoil and aren't an imbecile with tools and own a drill press, you could drill out and re-tap the holes for larger screws. You would then need to drill the scope base with larger holes, and source some new larger screws for the new thread pitch. The screws will need to be the correct profile and as close to final length as possible. Then you would cut the screws down to length so that they don't protrude into the path of the bolt, and cold blue them so they don't rust.

Or you could just get a helicoil.
>>
File: helicoil kit.jpg (24 KB, 444x444) Image search: [Google]
helicoil kit.jpg
24 KB, 444x444
>>30461590
>just get a helicoil thread repair kit.

Note that this requires drilling out the hole and retapping it to take the helicoil and that means using at least a drill press and preferably, a bridgeport because if OP tries to do it with a hand drill, he'll fuck it up even worse.

http://www.helicoil.in/pdf/HeliCoil%20Catalogue.pdf
>>
File: capturededed.jpg (98 KB, 1680x646) Image search: [Google]
capturededed.jpg
98 KB, 1680x646
>>30461627
Well, I have a torque wrench, that was the problem.

>Gee, let's check DNZ's website for the torque specs of the base screws
>It says 18 in/lb for aluminium receivers and 30 for steel, better check Ruger's website to see what the receivers are made out of
>Stainless steel? Well, I guess that means 30

Little did I know it was talking about the fucking barrel, and doesn't mention the receiver material anywhere. So now my screw holes are threadless.

But I am retarded for assuming that a 200 dollar rimfire gun would be made from anything besides aluminium. What ever happened to advertising that sees to it that retards don't accidentally fuck their shit up?
>>
>>30462815
As a mechanic whose very familiar with torque I initially wanted to call you a retard but really your not that dumb as you at least put in an effort to look up proper specs but just FYI I've found that snuggling those screws up with some blue loctite should do the trick just fine in the future
>>
>>30462815
give Ruger a try, lay the whole story out and they might fix it for nothing minus shipping.
otherwise i see you can go up to .146X48 screws. hiring a gunsmith might be cheaper than buying the kit(taps and asst. screws) from brownells.
>>
Just weld a scope on. Make sure you get one you like.
>>
>>30462815
Is ruger developing some super aluminium barrel? why would they even feel the need to clarify the barrel is steel.

10/22s have always been aluminum, though with how they cheapened the other parts over the years i wouldn't be surprised to see a glock brand glock receiver eventually.
>>
>>30461560
Youve got two options OP.

Helicoil repair kit, if you go that route, make damn sure that the reverse threads are loctite'd or equivalent.

Ugh...i am about to disgust myself.

Option two. You are firing a .22, there is not massive recoil, so this will work, but be Bubba level.

Take the mount, make sure it is a mount you love most. Take JB weld, or any "cold weld" and apply it to the screws after they are seated through the mount. Apply the bubba screws to your fuck up holes. get two hand vices or something, and some cloth so you don't scratch your gun. Clamp it on straight. Flip it over, use Q-tips, a needle and cloth, whatever you have to, and wipe away any excess from the inside of the holes if they go all the way through. Final step. never tell anyone your secret shame.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.