[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So pilot skill exactly the same. Who wins Heli vs Jet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: helicopter-plane_1570564i.jpg (36 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
helicopter-plane_1570564i.jpg
36 KB, 620x620
So pilot skill exactly the same.

Who wins Heli vs Jet?
>>
stick win every time
>>
>>30454111
the jet as its intended and equipped to engage targets at much further distances than the helicopter and the helicopter was primarily equipped to hit targets on the ground
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-CATCH
>>
>>30454155
good read thanks
>>
>Human pilots
Jet vectored onto helo by AWACS. Jet acquires helo with its onboard look-down capable radar. Jet shoots MR-AAM from above and far away, helo dies.

Final tally: scratch one helo, jet returns home

>Arab pilots
Jet vectored onto helo by GCI. Jet acquires helo with its onboard look-down capable radar. Jet dives onto the helo to engage within visual range because of pilot bravado combined with an inability to understand the radar display. Jet makes a guns pass before shooting an SR-AAM in the wrong direction. As the jet streaks below the rotor disk of the helo, the helo pilot squeezes off a burst of unguided rockets with his eyes closed while praying. All but one of them fly off into nowhere, but the very last rocket, going slow because of a defective rocket motor, collides with the jet's wing.

Final tally: 1 jet shot down, 1 helo crashed into a power line on the way home. No survivors.
>>
>>30454195
kek
>>
>>30454155
>>30454180
J-CATCH is extremely irrelevant now, and I will hatefuck you if you mention it again
>>
>>30454268
Don't threaten me with a good time.
>>
>>30454268
As my post >>30454195
indicates, J-CATCH is perfectly relevant if the jet pilot is a moron. In fact, J-CATCH already explains why the jet pilot would have to be a moron in order to get downed. Stay above the rotor disk and plink with missiles from a safe distance = helo has no chance. Get below the rotor disk at close range, then the helo can shoot at you with Stingers &c. This was basically the main lesson of the whole J-CATCH program.
>>
>>30454268
J catch
J catch
J catch
J catch
>>
>>30454355
You slut
>>
Keep in mind that the J-catch tactics workthroughs and earlier concerns (like the AH-1 vs F-4 exercises) were coming from a place before look-down shoot-down radars and HOBS IR systems came into ubiquitous usage on most/all modern jets. Modern systems do not have the issues picking IR/radar signatures from choppers out of ground clutter that they did.

If you don't have fixed wing air superiority over a battlespace, any choppers you send in could potentially have a very, very bad day. Yet another reason why air superiority is so important, especially for a force as rotary-wing dependent as the US and most other modern militaries.
>>
Is it possible to make a helo dedicated to taking down jets?
>>
>ATG Attack helicopter vs. Air superiority fighter jet
Apachebro here. Fast movers and ADA are pretty much our worst nightmare
>>
File: mgs hind.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
mgs hind.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>30454111
helicopter wins if its a Hind D
>>
>>30455159
HAAAAAAA
>>
>>30455091
No, because jets will always have the advantage of altitude and speed.
>>
>>30455091
No.

Well, okay. You certainly can. But by the time you spend the money you might as well just buy second hand MiGs or something.
>>
>>30455091
Why would you when you have fighters whose sole purpose is to kill other fighters?
>>
>>30455091
Fixed wing will always have the sensor and energy advantage of higher altitude and the additional energy advantage of speed. This means they see farther, their missiles shoot farther and they can maneuver more against incoming missiles. All of this means that it's a horribly inefficient concept to get over the hill to development into a workable combat system.
>>
File: Bell-AH-1Z.jpg (47 KB, 857x534) Image search: [Google]
Bell-AH-1Z.jpg
47 KB, 857x534
Pointy things on the end of the stub wings. Fire and forget.
>>
>>30455448
If you can get target track.

Even in Hollywood they understand that. In Firebirds they actually yank a Stinger off the stub of a crashed Apache and attach a shoulder-launch module to be able to shoot a fighter.
>>
>>30455448

are you the same cobra fanboy that doesn't actually knows shit about helicopters
>>
>>30455851
Firebirds is pure propaganda.
>>
>>30455220
Cause how the army arnt able to field fixed wing aircraft with weapons, but I guess it's better to just use AA ground platforms instead
>>
>>30456023
That's cause the Air Force are jealous faggots when it comes to fixed wing so they don't let us have much because they'd become obsolete again.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.