[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old Military stuff - THE SMELL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: $_1.jpg (37 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
37 KB, 400x225
Hey /k/, I need your help: I got me an M-1945 combat pack in nice condition.

But the Problem ist: Shit reeks like dozens of years in military storage (you know that smell)

I dont wanna throw such old cloth into the washer since I guess neither the metal parts of the pack will be good for the washer nor will modern detergent be the right choice for a 70 years old piece of equipment (I'm also a little afraid that this would kill the rubberized interior flap)

So the question is: What can I do to remove this intense storage smell?

Pic semi related, not mine but an M-1945 pack
>>
>>30452188
I love that smell. Revs my engine.
>>
>>30452202
Whatever floats your boat man. But my pack seriously destroys realtionships: I got it yesterday and put it in a room with open window and still the whole room is saturated with that odor.

Y'all think that just hanging it outside for a couple of days would help or do I need more...erm... aggressive methods?
>>
Wash by hand in warm water
>>
>>30452218
Juste luke warm water or anything else like curd soap or something?
>>
>>30452224
I had an ALICE from surplus. I just wash it with my hands in warm water. If you want you can add some clothes cleaner, but cotton friendly only.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>30452224
I restore lots of old webbing, cold water and a little bit of cheap liquid detergent.
The cheap detergent because it has no scent added.
Pic of my last restoration, all original, Australian made pattern 37 web equipment. All dated 1944.
>>
File: 1420609012103.jpg (64 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1420609012103.jpg
64 KB, 500x400
Try warm water with a little baking soda. Baking soda does wonders for getting rid of odors.
>>
>>30452264
So I just fill the bathtub with water, put bakind soda in it, stir and then put the pack inside? Do I have to make "washing moves" or do I just drown the pack and let it rest for an hour?

>>30452243
Fucking nice collection man. I hope it doesnt kill you, that I bought the M-1945 just to use it as a hiking daypack?!
>>
>>30452392
>to use it as a hiking daypack

You wanna go hiking wearing Y-suspenders and ammo belt or do you plan to nigger-rig shoulder straps?
>>
>>30452925
Shoulder straps

I want to sew on strap buckles at the Tip of the mini-shoulder straps that connect to the suspenders and do the same to the D-rings at the bottom of the pack. Got some olive drab cotton straps from a cheap-ass chest rigg that should do the job.
>>
>>30452202
I like it too, Anon.

>>30452188

You can try some hot water and baking soda or oxyclean if that doesn't work.

I bought my M7 bayonet off of ebay and the sheath smelt only like cigarette smoke.
Nothing would take care of it.
I had to end up boiling some water and a lot of white vinegar and dunk it in that to get the smel out.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.