[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never fired a gun before and really want to take myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (93 KB, 607x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
93 KB, 607x1080
I've never fired a gun before and really want to take myself shooting. At the ranges near my house (which are still pretty far) there are some introductory courses but they all center around handguns and purchasing a handgun. Honestly I'm not that interested in shooting handguns or buying one. I just want to shoot rifles. I was hoping there would be one that centered around .22 rifles, which is the best place to start according to things I've read on this board. Should I take the handgun course anyway? or would it not be of much help. Would I be better off just reading up on gun saftey, watching some videos and renting a .22 and going to the range?
>>
>>30432128
Read up on gun safety and go rent a .22 (rifle or pistol; it doesn't really matter)
Typically if you're renting they'll I've you the manual of arms for whatever you rent, so you should be good.
>>
Dont fo it op you will get bruised up and get ptsd.
>>
Google if there's any Appleseed events happening near you.
>>
>>30432252
I'll stay away from the wretched AR15, I still want to keep my innocents :3
>>
First time i went shooting was in a store with a range. Just fired a .22 pistol, they gave a safety briefing and then we could go to the range and start shooting. Was originally planning on getting a quick 1 hour course but the dude who held it wasn't in that day so we just shot targets for fun.

Could have went with a rifle too, most ranges have lots of options. Just go there and do it. More fun if you bring a friend instead of going alone i think. I went with someone else who had never fired a gun before.
>>
>>30432407
All my friends are out of town. I think I'm just going to read up on it tonight and get up early and go tommorow. Fuck it it's my birthday I got money. They have 3 hour courses at the range but they are held near closing time so I'd have to take the course, then come back another day If I wanted to shoot (It's pretty far away so this would be a major pain in the ass for me)
>>
>>30432559
Pretty sure you can just go rent a rifle and get to shooting without taking a course. If you just want the experience and enjoy yourself then go get a rifle and shoot. Sounds like more fun than going through a 3 hour class. You can take a course later when you've gotten used to the feeling of holding and shooting a rifle and want to work on technique.
>>
>>30432128

Use 22 if you really want to. My first time shooting was with a Chink AK and some type of 9mm S&W.

Starting with average calibers didnt kill me
>>
>>30432899
would it be a bad idea to start with a 10mm glock? I plan on starting with a 22 and eventually shooting one of those.
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 750x745) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 750x745
>>30432559
Happy birthday anon.
Now go murder some paper and have fun.

Have some cool drawings.
>>
>>30434019
Yes it would be a bad idea.
>>
>>30432273
ive heard nothing but good things about the appleseed program, the only downside for OP is i think you have to bring your own gun. maybe they have loaners, dont know.
OP, what city are you in? i ask because there might be other kommandos in your area who would gladly take you shooting
>>
>>30432128
Handguns are a different beast from rifles, although I suppose you could apply the fundamentals learned with handguns to rifles.
>>
>>30434064
I live in Seattle so I pretty much have to get out of the city just to find a range. I'm pretty much going to watch videos all day today and read stuff and then go in early tommorow and start shooting. They have plenty of rental firearms there. I think I'll start with a Ruger .22 and eventaully try a glock if I feel comfortable. From what I understand about gun safetey
-Never point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot
-always keep the gun facing down range even while reloading and clearing the chamber
-never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot (trigger discipline)
-put on eye and ear protection before you enter the range
-don't take the gun out of the case until you are at the booth

seems like common sense to me
>>
>>30434073
its said that handgun fundamentals are more important than rifle, because its easier to shoot and/or hide bad techniques with a rifle.
you can have rifle fundamentals down but be a shit pistol shooter but its much rarer for it to be the other way around.
>>
>>30434244
at the range, any range, noone cares if youre a beginner. however, EVERYONE cares if youre unsafe.
be safe at all times and youll be fine
>>
FUCK! All the ranges in my area require that I either own a firearm or come in with a friend. All my friends are out of town and there's no point in buying a gun now because I'm moving in two months.
>>
4H or boy scouts for 22 rifle courses lol.

seriously op, handguns are a whole lot more fun at the range. Dont discount them.
>>
>>30435777
A bit of googling told me that this is to prevent suicides. Fucking faggots can't even buy a gun to kill yourself? I mean for fucks sake it's not like you're going to need that money, instead they need to go out and ruin my birthday.
>>
>>30434063
how so? i jumped from a .22 to a 30 06 and 12 gauge slugs and 9mm and 40's from there to 5.56, 7.62x54r,7.62x51, and 8mm mauser
>>
>>30435777
>>30438277
>in seattle
kek how predictable. yes, the no singles policy is not a meme.

surely there's a local anon who wouldn't mind buddying up
>>
>>30440814
Yeah I get it, fucking suicidefags ruining it for everyone.

Next chance I go will be next week and hopefully my roomates will be back in town. Maybe in the future I can get a cheap ass gun (mosin?) and go there to rent the other ones.
>>
>>30442895
Mosins are not really as cheap as they used to be. As well, 7.62x54r is climbing in price, so it may be better to get a brand new/less old rifle in some .30 variant.
You would be able to find better deals on ammo, have a newer gun, and shoot more.

That said, .22 is incresibly versatile. A Ruger 10/22 will cost about the same as a Mosin, usually cheaper.
>>
>>30432128
I MIGHT GET TREE GOOBAS
I MIGHT GET FO GOOBAS
I MIGHT GET FI GOOBAS

I LUH ME SUM CLARK
>>
>>30443819
damn this thing is pretty sexy
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/specSheets/21102.html

Still, even a few hundred dollars is pretty steep for me, then I'd have to lock it up, all that shit.
>>
>>30444621

Understandable.
When looking at any gun you may want to buy, look at the cost of ammo as well.
Since you haven't shot before, shooting 50 bullets may seem like a lot, but you will quickly realize that you can easily go through 100 in 30 minutes of shooting.

No matter what you decide on, head to the range, grab a gun, and enjoy shooting!
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.