[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Polygon: going full retard over guns again
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
File: image.gif (2 MB, 250x185) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 250x185
http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/24/12012888/guns-games-violence-questions

Wew lad
E
W

L
A
D
>>
>violent video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gARtoXjGOnQ
>>
>>30412863
Did Jack Thompson's strategy somehow get resurrected or some shit? I thought we put this behind us
>>
Teams are always fucking stacked in mass shootings.
>>
>>30412947
I dunno, I've managed to carry pretty hard when I was the only one left on my team.
>>
File: hehehe stupid cishet gamer.jpg (157 KB, 341x512) Image search: [Google]
hehehe stupid cishet gamer.jpg
157 KB, 341x512
>>30412914
Oh yes. The "progressives," after shitting all over the skeptic community, decided to invade videogames as their next target. They haven't been very successful, though.
>>
alright well I read his piece, the main thrust of it is that his son was a fan of CoD which got him interested in guns, something that made the author uncomfortable because he doesn't like guns.

He then goes on to say that this is bad because it normalizes guns without saying anything about the realities of responsible gun ownership.

What gets me though is that he doesn't make any recommendations, what's the point of an editorial if you just note something you don't like without making any point about what should be done moving forward?

If his point had been that you should have to take a gun safety class before you can buy a firearm I would have agreed, but he never says anything like that.
>>
>>30413073
>If his point had been that you should have to take a gun safety class before you can buy a firearm I would have agreed

Faggot
>>
>>30412977
/v/ and Hulkamania brought down Gawker.
>>
>>30413110
great argument as always, you're really raising the level of discussion

making a gun safety class mandatory before you can buy guns would reduce accidents and make everyone safer, I see it as similar to the class and test you have to take before you can get a learners permit for a car.

Similarly I feel that before you can get a CC license you should need to be able to prove proficient marksmanship, if you're going to carry you need to know how to use your weapon.
>>
>>30413128
and what a glorious time that was
>>
>>30413162
I too love the slight banana taste of shoe polish.
>>
>>30413197
what?
>>
>>30413162
>making a gun safety class mandatory before you can buy guns would reduce accidents and make everyone safer, I see it as similar to the class and test you have to take before you can get a learners permit for a car.
Great plan bub up until Commiefornia and other freedom-hating states make the safety class cost $500+, only be able to be held in one location statewide, and only held 4x a year with limited seats available... with an expiration date of a year from the time you took the class.

>oh but they wouldn't do that
They do that sort of thing all the time. Which is why I just go with SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.
>>
http://archive.is/i4gj3
>>
>>30412863
>Polygon
Anti-Gamergate shitheads
>>
>kid does what a kid is designed to do
>soaks up information presented and can regurgitate it
>curiosity demands further elaboration
>but it's about guns omg
>kid became a normal teenager
>but guuuuuuns
His ability to talk while saying nothing is astounding.
>>
>>30413162
Accidental injuries/deaths from firearms is not a very big problem in the states. Mandating safety courses adds more red tape.
>>
File: fallacy ss.jpg (107 KB, 673x607) Image search: [Google]
fallacy ss.jpg
107 KB, 673x607
>>30413213
while I agree with you that that's a problem, it's completely irrelevant to my argument. Mandatory gun safety classes would be a simple way to reduce accidents and improve safety overall for everyone.
>>
File: gun rules.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
gun rules.png
1 MB, 1600x900
>>30413073

I was thinking that video games could include the rules of firearm safety somewhere in-game. I remember the first Deus Ex game has a book explaining gun safety on a table at the first shop you can buy guns from. It would be neat if more games did that. Maybe have a sign with the 4 rules on the wall at the in-game firing range or have some situation where an NPC explains the rules to the player.
>>
>>30413243
yeah it's pretty dumb, whenever I read an opinion piece in the new york times for example they always, ALWAYS, end the article with the last 1 or 2 paragraphs being a recommendation for what should be done to change [thing I don't like]. This does not do that, so what's the point?

Just for example, here's something from today's paper.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/opinion/gov-christies-toxic-school-plan.html

Note the recommendation in the last paragraph. This Polygon article is more than just stupid, it's bad journalism. Who would have thought, eh?
>>
>>30413311
not him, but I think a better approach would be to include info cards and pamphlets on gun safety with the gun itself. If they read it they're safer if they ignore it they weren't the type to listen at a class anyway.
>>
>>30412863
Everytime you get baited into visiting a "journalism" site, you are inadvertently giving pennies. Even with ad-blockers installed, the company uses visitor statistics to maintain relationships with their advertisers. Windows operating systems have a feature called the "hosts file" that will let you block these websites.

>The Windows Hosts file allows you to define which websites are linked to which IP addresses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

Here is how to use it

Notepad
Open with admin privileges.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
This is where your Hosts file is located. Open "hosts" (does not have an extension) with Notepad. If you utilize Spybot - Search & Destroy, you will see a very long list of unsafe domains already entered here. For your convenience, enter the following lines in at the top:

https://gist.github.com/ChimeraCoder/7495794
Spacing DOES matter in your host file, so ensure it looks like the example that is already in there. Some similar, clickbait-modelled sites to consider adding:

#Expanded list

127.0.0.1 rockpapershotgun.com
127.0.0.1 polygon.com
127.0.0.1 theverge.com
127.0.0.1 vox.com
127.0.0.1 games.on.net
127.0.0.1 pcgamer.com
127.0.0.1 fortune.com
127.0.0.1 cracked.com
127.0.0.1 neogaf.com
127.0.0.1 vice.com
127.0.0.1 wired.co.uk
127.0.0.1 wired.com
127.0.0.1 nymag.com
127.0.0.1 huffingtonpost.com
127.0.0.1 salon.com
127.0.0.1 indiewire.com
127.0.0.1 dailymail.co.uk
127.0.0.1 theguardian.com

Save the file. The "Save As" dialog box will appear. Save this as "hosts_new".

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
1) Back in your \etc\ folder, rename your previous "hosts" file to "hosts_backup".
2) Rename the newly created file, "hosts_new.txt" to "hosts"

Congrats, no more accidentally giving pennies and view counts. Chances are, this post will be replied to by a "journalist" from one of Gawker's sites. If unsure, please do your own research.
>>
>>30413348
hmm that's not a bad idea, I could get behind that in favor of mandatory gun safety classes

I however think there should be marksmanship requirements for CC licenses though.
>>
>tfw your father brought you up with the knowledge that guns are nothing more than tools used for feeding or protecting your family
>tfw you and your father fingerfuck each others guns every time you visit one another

Damn, feels good to have had a reasonable father. Unlike that limp-wrist liberal treehugging faggot.
>>
>>30413311
Slippery slope isn't actually a fallacy. It just gets called one to distract people from the obvious leftist agenda at work.
>1963: "if we allow interracial marriage the fags will want to get married next"
>2012: "if we allow gay marriage the pedos and polygamists will want legal recognition next"
>2016: "hey guys pedophilia isn't all bad :^):^):^):^)"
>>
>>30413348

Damn near every gun has "Read Manual Before Use" stamped on it or on a sticker that's on the gun. As soon as you open up the manual you see the safety rules on the first page. My Glock's case has a warning label on it that says children are attracted to firearms and warns about children accessing the gun. Can't warning label stupidity away I guess.
>>
>>30413383

I'm happy I have a good dad. I got into guns similarly to the kid in the article. I played shooting games and some friends had guns, so eventually I wanted one. My parents said ok, but under a lot of rules and exceptions, but then my dad got into guns too and today we always go shooting when we see each other.
>>
>>30413406
But it isn't all that bad. Where do you think you are?
>>
File: fallacy fc.jpg (103 KB, 641x582) Image search: [Google]
fallacy fc.jpg
103 KB, 641x582
>>30413406
causation=/=causality

interracial marriage and gay marriage were each debated on their own merits and were eventually found to be completely reasonable. Pedophilia is different from the others in that a child legally speaking cannot consent to sex unlike gay adults or adults of mixed races. If someone can make a case for why that should change it will be considered but as of yet I have not heard one.
>>
>>30413480

Not that guy

I don't think gay marriage will lead to legal pedophilia as much as trans activism. If a kid can begin hormone treatment for sex changes, a life-altering decision, why shouldn't they be able to consent to sex?
>>
>>30413480
>semantic mode engaged
Just want to say pedophilia ≠ child molestation, they have very very different meanings.

While I'm doing this I might as well say:
>pedophilia is attraction to prepubescents
>hebephilia is attraction to early pubescents
>ephebophilia is attraction to late pubescents
They aren't interchangeable.
>>
>>30413529
Are you sure about that, under normal conditions a minor is not allowed to make any medical decisions at all. Everything has to be done with parental consent.
>>
>>30413552
>pedophilia ≠ child molestation, they have very very different meanings
how can you have one without the other?
>>
>>30413578
you don't fuck a kid, just brain fondle them.
>>
>>30413529
Because kids are fucking stupid. Everyone knows this.
>>
>>30413348
That would be a great idea....and they do it.

Have you never bought a new gun before?
>>
>>30413563

I'm not sure of the laws surrounding the issue, but I have seen many instances online of transgender kids being on hormone treatment or puberty suppressants. Pretty fucked up when almost half the states won't allow someone younger than 18 to get a tattoo even with parental consent.
>>
>>30413658
Nope, I guess have a huge poster at guns shows with bright colors and flashing lights? idk, just throwing shit here.
>>
>>30413696
I can guarantee it was only allowed to happen because the parents signed off on it, a 17 year old can't even refuse to take an ambulance if they have no injuries whatsoever without parental consent.
>>
While we're on the topic of Polygon and guns,
The whiny manchild himself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UujtfN7hCdo
>>
>>30412863
>blah blah blah wake of orlando blah blah violence in video games blah blah blah
Do radical Muslims even play video games? Apparently they drink in gay bars so I guess I don't know shit about the world anymore.
>>
File: 51F.gif (1 MB, 627x376) Image search: [Google]
51F.gif
1 MB, 627x376
>>30413586
>brain fondle them
>>
>And yet, Australia banned guns in 1996 after a mass shooting and there hasn’t been a single mass shooting there since then. Strange isn’t it?
When will this fucking meme die?
>>
>>30413128
Turns out Peter Thiel is a big fan of video games. Who knew?
>>
>>30413073
It's like the notion of a parent controlling what media their child consumes has never even occurred to him.

When I was a kid, my parents didn't let me play ANY violent video games. Hell, my mother didn't even let me own nerf guns.

Overly controlling? Certainly. But nevertheless it is an option parents have. Controlling their child makes much more sense than regulating the whole damn videogame industry........
>>
>>30413199
You're a goddamn boot licker. Thick too.
>>
>>30413787
does it not have a far lower rate of mass shootings than america relative to its size?
>>
File: fallacy ah.png (593 KB, 643x565) Image search: [Google]
fallacy ah.png
593 KB, 643x565
>>30413864
insults are not arguments
>>
>>30413162
"I feel"
Fuck your feels.

Legislation and every ones rights shouldn't governed by the feels of a few.

Your no gun feels makes the incremental infringement of my rights inevitable. Go live in the EU if you want to live in a gun free utopia.
>>
File: monash shooting.jpg (513 KB, 1661x1039) Image search: [Google]
monash shooting.jpg
513 KB, 1661x1039
>>30413899
>AU doesn't have any shooting sprees since the ban!
>this is a lie
>but da RATE man
Fuck off cunt.
>>
>>30413938
damn, I tried hard to replace every instance of the words I feel to something like "I am of the opinion that" so people like you wouldn't get triggered and automatically dismiss all of my arguments out of hand, guess I missed one, damn.
>>
File: ye olde castlevania.jpg (168 KB, 776x1024) Image search: [Google]
ye olde castlevania.jpg
168 KB, 776x1024
>>30413966
>Well obviously we can't stop all of them, but shouldn't we do something to stop SOME of them? Even if we just save one life it's worth it.
>>
>>30413989
Stop being a fag.
Gun accidents are not a common problem and most of the ones that do happen are not because people don't know what they were doing.
Rather they were too comfortable around guns and were lax on safety cause they think they are 'experts'.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.