[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey yall, I'm thinking about getting myself into waterfowl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 870ExpressSMagWF-Beauty-81125.jpg (59 KB, 1200x539) Image search: [Google]
870ExpressSMagWF-Beauty-81125.jpg
59 KB, 1200x539
Hey yall,

I'm thinking about getting myself into waterfowl hunting, I live in Maine and we have allot of great spots for sea duck hunting. However I'm not 100% sure about the gun I want. Should I just stick with a 870, or is that a bad choice. Tell me why or why not.
>>
The only thing I've not liked about the 870 is that it seems that the action can get a little mucky pretty quickly. I recently bought a supernova and the action locks a little tighter and keeps stuff out.

Not sure how the environment is in Maine but over here it gets petty muddy and rainy
>>
>>30385364
It definitely can be muddy, but most of the Waterfowl season is in the fall and cold weather and mud just don't happen
>>
>>30385386
Are you interested in bigger birds as well? I find that being able to use 3 1/2 inch shells can make a difference for turkey/geese hunting, my 870 won't take 3 1/2inch shells
>>
>>30385416
Yeah I am interested in Turkey hunting.
>>
File: supernova12g.jpg (16 KB, 600x510) Image search: [Google]
supernova12g.jpg
16 KB, 600x510
>>30385441
If I were you I would look for something that could do 3 1/2 inch shells as well, some people say it doesn't matter but in my experience Turkey go down way easier with the magnum loads.

Like I said, /shill/ I really like my supernova /shill/,
>>
File: wm_8319954.jpg (15 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
wm_8319954.jpg
15 KB, 480x480
>>30385344

Get an 1100 wingmaster

It's fuddy, but not too fuddy

Wouldn't a semi auto be advantage for shooting ducks?
>>
>>30385469
Semi's are great for ducks but they are a lot more expensive than a pump for just getting into hunting
>>
File: IMG_20160606_222448927.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160606_222448927.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
Just get a 870 supermag like mine
>>
>>30385484
Yup that is why Im going pump because of the price tag.
>>
>>30385364
Did your Supernova have failures to fire at first?

I neglected stripping and cleaning the bolt at first and after about fifty rounds it would start failing to fire... led to an unpleasant experience with some 3.5" buckshot, and broke any faith I had in it as a home defense gun. It runs without failure now that I've cleaned it again, but I'm afraid of it fouling up on me again. Did something similar happen to you?

Also, the action has about an eighth of an inch of wiggle after it locks up
>>
Supernova all day every day if you're on a budget. I love my 835 to death but the supernova just makes like so easy for a dedicated bird gun.

My 835 is not and it's mostly in fuck around configuration
>>
>>30385642
Its never failed to fire, but I am a clean freak with my guns, completely stripped and cleaned after any use.

The action is still tighter than on my 870, and the breech block is MUCH tighter on than my 870.

For home defense I have a Saiga, but that thing definitely has had failures to fire and feeding issues depending on the ammo I use
>>
I don't like the taste of waterfowl, so i'm not much experienced with the qualities needed by a duck hunter. But my Winchester 1300 is one of the best and smoothest shotguns I've ever fired so if you want speed, i'd get one of them.

They don't make em anymore but Winchester makes the SPX which is basically the same gun with some minor differences.
>>
>>30385715
>SPX
whoops, this should be SXP
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.