[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pietta's Remington "Feature"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: pietta_remington_fail_or_not.jpg (114 KB, 930x557) Image search: [Google]
pietta_remington_fail_or_not.jpg
114 KB, 930x557
I've bought myself Pietta's Remington New Model Army yesterday.

While I was fingering it at home today, I've noticed that, when in half cock, plunger only aligns with lower chamber just before hand switches to next groove (the click sound)[second photo].

While I have no experiance with cap&ball revolvers, I have the feeling that this might get annoying once on range, since if I were to pass that "sweet spot", I would have to remove cylinder and try to align it correctly again.

Fortunetly I did found workaround, by pulling cylinder pin slightly forward just so it disengages from back of the frame.[pic. no.3]

So my question is, is this a feature or is there something wrong? If so, is it the cylinder or a hand?

First pic shows that plunger aligns perfectly when hammer is down.

Also any advice for cap&ball revolvers newbie would be appreciated.
>>
>>30378450
selfbumping
>>
>>30378450
Normal.
>>
>>30379302
Do you own one?
>>
Should have bought a pedersoli
>>
>>30378450
thats how a fucking revolver works

also the remington 1858 "safety click" as you call it is actually the loading position of the hammer. load all 6 chambers, then drop the hammer on one of the cylinder notches.

you're dogshit at explaining your supposed problem, but if it isn't lining up correctly you may have fucked your hand or received a fucked up gun. my only problem with my pietta 1858 was the hand spring snapping from a thousand odd dry fired, but it was a $15 repair I did myself with a file and a replacement hand.
>>
>>30378450
that isn't a safety and also what the fuck are you doing with the plunger. It's for loading and takedown, not whatever the fuck you're doing.

the 1858's "safety" is the cylinder notches. keep the hammer in one when carried.
>>
>>30379366
Ok so let me explain more thoroughly:

I put hammer on half cock.

When I rotate cylinder, it makes clicking sound, as it's should.

After clicking sound, plunger isn't aligned with the chamber.

To ram plunger into that chamber, I would have to rotate cylinder 360 degrees again.

>>30379386

Where did I wrote anything about safety?
>>
>>30379529
>After clicking sound, plunger isn't aligned with the chamber.
>To ram plunger into that chamber, I would have to rotate cylinder 360 degrees again.
That's normal you fucking tard.
>>
>>30379548
So if I rotate 1-2 degrees to much, I have to do 360 again. Or am I missing something.
>>
>>30379529
>my revolver only turns one way, is it broken
I get that you're new to this but... just damn.

first click puts chambers in line with the loading cutout and the rammer

second click is technically a safety ubut you shouldn't use it as such because you have a cap in line with the hammer and these guns aren't really dropsafe; the 3lb gun falling from 4ft onto the hammer could shear the sear and shoot you in the dick

3rd click is full cock

to safely carry it with 6 loaded chambers drop the hammer into a cylinder notch
>>30379633
if you turn it to the next chamber, then you have to turn it 4 more chambers. the answer is know the manual of operation for your firearm.
>>
>>30379673
>my revolver only turns one way, is it broken
where the fuck did I wrote that?

I don't have problem with cylinder rotating one way in loading position, BECAUSE I KNOW IT SUPPOSE TO WORK THIS WAY.

MY PROBLEM IS WITH ROTATION LOCKING HAPPENING FEW DEGREES TOO FAR TO BE ABLE TO RAM THE CHAMBER.

AND PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW HAMMER WORKS.
>>
>>30379756
then your hand is too long, but your "fix" wouldn't work if the hand wasn't fit correctly and you be overshooting the cylinder stop.

I can't recreate your malfunction on mine and if it was how you're describe the cylinder timing would be so out of line with each cocking of the hammer the gun couldn't fire. Post some clear photos of your problem or come to grips with being an idiot who can't figure basic mechanical devices.
>>
File: cylinder.jpg (216 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
cylinder.jpg
216 KB, 1280x768
>>30380171
what if this is fault of cylinder's ratchets (or whatever they are called)?
>>
>>30380347
when you pull the hammer to full cock is the cylinder stop (silver thing on bottom inside of the frame) in a slot?
>>
>>30380505
yes
>>
>>30380521
the hand might be improperly fitted and a smidge too long. is this a new gun or some bubbas monkey model?

remember that BP pistols aren't legally firearms and you can return them like a pair of shoes.
>>
>>30380540
new one

>remember that BP pistols aren't legally firearms and you can return them like a pair of shoes
maybe in US, I would have to look up how it works here
>>
>>30380540
cont.

if on the first loading click with the cylinder stop down and pushed turned counterclockwise until it hits the hand it isn't perfectly in line with the barrel/hammer then the hand is too long and needs to be filed down. if you don't have a good concept of what it should look like and where you should remove material, don't have metal files, it's a completely new firearm well within any return period you could flimflam, etc. don't attempt to do so on your own and just exchange it for a functional revolver.

a gunsmith would charge you an assload to spend 15 minutes filing and test fitting/fiddling with it. return it or prepare to buy another hand assembly for ~7 bucks plus shipping if/when you fuck it up.
>>
File: 20160611_220331.jpg (1 MB, 1776x2268) Image search: [Google]
20160611_220331.jpg
1 MB, 1776x2268
And this is why I bought an Uberti.
>>
>>30380625
it's probably that.

Thanks for the aids.

>>30380660
>BO3
kys
>>
>>30380660
>dat cylinder ring and finish wear

and this is why i returned the uberti 1858 carbine I got. Owned it for all of a week and it had finish wear worse than my pietta from just dry handling.
>>
>>30380755
I wish they sold unfinished ones at a discount covered in grease so I could polish and finish one myself.

Or for poorfags and heretics who just want to ceracoat and be done with it.
>>
>>30380911
You can buy unfinished ones online.
>>
File: cowboy guns.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
cowboy guns.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
>>30380755
The cylinder ring isnt THAT bad. Though i do like to dry fire it alot. The rest of the finish is great, just the lighting sucks, heres a slightly better pic.
>Uberti walker up top
>Uberti 1858 remy left
>70's era ruger blackhawk in .357 mag with 9mm cylender
>my wifes Pietta 1851 confederate brass frame navy in .44
>her heritage rough rider .22lr/.22mag
>>
>>30381043
You should make a shoulder stock for that Walker.
>>
>>30380969
I've seen tutorials on how to strip the finish with a vinegar solution to make them look vintage.
>>
>>30380969
The kits cost almost as much as a finished example though.
>>
>>30381055
The navy has the cutout for the stock already, i never thought about making one for the walker
>>
>>30381092
Go full tactical and make it an AR stock, slap on a cheapo red dot to the barrel and thread a muzzle break
>>
File: 1858 and savanelli.jpg (2 MB, 4190x2384) Image search: [Google]
1858 and savanelli.jpg
2 MB, 4190x2384
>>30381043
nioce

I've got this baby in a slim belt holster loaded in my desk drawer
>>
>>30379336
Yes.
>>
>>30381108
Aside from the ar stock that sounds like a blast.
>>30381191
What powder do you use and how do you keep it dry? Some under 21 anon here that CC'd a 1851 navy said he would drip a little candle wax on the caps and balls.
>>
>>30380721
>Thanks for the aids.

KEK
>>
>>30381232
it recommend to not put grease or fat near primers, a thin coat of clear nail varnish carefully put around the caps would be better. whatever is hydrophobic and won't melt is pretty good for the balls though.

frankly would just buy an Iver Johnson and handload light trailboss loads instead of having a cap and ball.
>>
>>30381232
I usually use pyrodex and wonderwads, but what I prefer doing is making paper cartridges out of rolling paper sealed with super glue. I tear the bottom to ensure ignition and the paper acts like a wad between the powder and ball. usually load it with a 24gr charge but I've shot it with 48gr on occasion and it mostly just makes more fire. nice thing about these modern 1858s is that they can't hold enough BP to kablooey

>>30381300
no10 caps on a peita are tight. have kept mine loaded for months and it shoots fine without any fuss in the humid shithole known as south florida.
>>
>>30381313
I've heard flash paper is good for paper cartridges, have you considered using that?
>>
>>30381337
not as shelf stable. the idea behind paper cartridges is to make and carry a shitload of them. I was getting spotty ignition for a while due to too much glue holding the thing closed at the base, but i started leaving them a "tail" and just tear and load em. 100% ignition for the last year or so I've been doing it.
>>
>>30381375
Oh are you the anon that carries a cap and ball?
>>
>>30381091
and they leave you to hand fit the trigger mechanism. as OP found out a misadjusted hand is a pain in the dick and using a hone on all the contact surfaces of the hammer and trigger would be a pain in the fucking ass. between cold blue and time you're not even breaking even versus getting a $350 uberti.

>>30381393
just a guy who likes to make smoke clouds at outdoor ranges and not dick with a powder horn.
>>
>>30381375
you could probably make a shorter tail and glue it to the side of the cartridge, instead of the base and it would work well.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.