[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Forward assist even needed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
Building my AR and next part is the upper. Needed or not? I've never used the one on my other AR other than showing what it can do.

I like the idea of saving weight and trying it out with out it.
>>
>>30352399
If you go without forward assist, you will regret it.
>>
>>30352463

k

why?
>>
My SR-25 doesn't have it and I have never needed it. I have used it with blanks on my can cannon thou
>>
>>30352399
Nah. The forward assist was never all that useful; I think it was just something the military demanded as a mandatory feature when they went to the A1.

It's supposed to help force the gun into battery when a round gets stuck in a dirty chamber or something like that, but that isn't the kind of malfunction we really see in the AR platform three days. I've had to clear lots of malfunctions from ARs, piston and DI alike, but never one that was rectified by using the forward assist. A lot of high-end uppers don't even have one in the first place.
>>
>>30352399
Only thing it's good for is turning a small jam into a big jam. And ruining the lines of the gun.
>>
>>30352399
It is of limited usefulness, but you'd save what? A couple ounces maybe not having it? I wouldn't pay more to not have it as appears to be the case for that Rainier upper for such minimal weight reduction in the center of the rifle where it matters the least for balance.
>>
>>30352944
/thread

Forward assist was required by the military during the trials for a new service rifle. They wanted some type of stream line way to clear a jam, although like another anon said we rarely see the type of jams that would require the help of the assist.

I think it looks cool on the M4/M16 though. Something about the new uppers people are making without them just don't look holy to me.
>>
>>30352399
I've built a couple without the FA and never regretted it. Same reasoning useless waste of space and weight.
>>
File: WP_20160405_004.jpg (1 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160405_004.jpg
1 MB, 3072x1728
>You never need da FA
>>
>>30352955
.t anon who doesn't know how ARs work
>>
File: UA3q37h.jpg (998 KB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
UA3q37h.jpg
998 KB, 2340x4160
>>30352399

I have never once used the forward assist on any AR, but I buy uppers that have them anyway because I think slicksides look weird.

This thread has made me wonder though, are there any dog-toy squeakers small enough to somehow shorten my FA and stick inside, so my AR will have a honk-honk button?
>>
>>30352399
Unless you want the slab side looks get a forward assist.

Odds are you'll never use it, but it's handy as hell if you do. Besides, it saves almost no weight to not have it.
>>
They're useful when coyote hunting, because you can silently chamber a round.
>>
File: IMG_4886b.jpg (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4886b.jpg
92 KB, 800x600
I have rarely used mine. But when I have, I truly needed it. My colt came from the factory so tight and with so much oil in it, I would have to the forward assist to get it to slide.
>>
>>30354962
I use mine to do brass checks
>>
>>30355028
Pull the charging handle back and release?
>>
They're useful to confirm you're in battery, especially if it's dark.
>>
>>30355558
I always hear that and think it's a dumb excuse. Just keep a round a in the chamber and the safety on until needed.
>>
>>30355642
Kind of moot if the CH can barely pull back from where the bolt stopped and gain anything close to meaningful momentum. Not to mention;
>Remove shooting hand from trigger
>Unshoulder rifle
>Pull back CH and let go
>Hope that does the trick, reshoulder
vs.
>Move thumb to press a button
>>
>>30355674
or
>Not be a left handed freak
>Move support hand to charge weapon
>Keep cheek weld and sight picture because you learned how to shoot properly instead of nose to charging handle
Also if your weapon is so gunked up I doubt it'll return to battery consistently at that point
>>
>>30355674
How about you just raise your head and pull the CH with support hand?
>Remove shooting hand from trigger
why.jpg
>Unshoulder rifle
why.jpg
>>
>>30352399
ive used it when i thought i heard someone in my house. pulled back the charging handle slow and quiet to make sure a round was loaded and had to use the forward assist to put it back into battery since i only went back far enough for a brass check.
>>
File: objection.png (61 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
objection.png
61 KB, 500x333
>>30355701
>>30355714
Or, OR...I could just push a fucking button with my thumb, that being the one and only movement needed to get my rifle into battery.
> if your weapon is so gunked up I doubt it'll return to battery consistently at that point
That was with a freshly cleaned and lubed up AR, and it functioned just fine after that for another ~300 or so rounds during that range trip, but aight.

What's so hard about just having a standard feature that does nothing to harm the rifle and objectively offers an easier method of assisting the bolt? That's the real question.
>>
>>30355751
>Forward assists are good for out of spec Ar's
Guess so
>>
>>30355751
Forward assist is outdated design so I refuse to learn or to use it.
Why do I need to push the button when CH is all I need.
>>
File: why.png (36 KB, 245x270) Image search: [Google]
why.png
36 KB, 245x270
>>30355791
>feeding operation
>spec
Anon, the things involved there in the rifle are a buffer assembly, a BCG, and a chamber. Since the first two are milspec, and the barrel is from GM, I don't think that's the issue.

Likely, it has something to do with the 50 fucking year old mag feeding. Or, maybe it's just something that happens in a while, as has happened with my more more build at PMAGs once in a blue moon. I dunno, I'm not going to be the one to tell you what excuses you have to make for not having a basic feature that you'd have to go out of your way to avoid.
>>
>>30355791
>>30355812
>they dont do brass checks on a full mag
>>
>>30355791
>>30355812
>what is brass checking
spot the 'tards who don't shoot
>>
File: Dustcovercomposite.jpg (3 MB, 3072x3440) Image search: [Google]
Dustcovercomposite.jpg
3 MB, 3072x3440
>>30355821
>more build
Modern build*
>>
>>30355838
>spot the tard that pretends to "operate"
>>
>>30355028
Didn't put the M4 reliefs in your upper? Hmm?
>>
>>30352590
Because sometimes you want to make sure the bolt is fully seated.
>>
File: waitwhat.png (59 KB, 324x570) Image search: [Google]
waitwhat.png
59 KB, 324x570
>>30355938
>M4 feed ramps
Yes, because that's what a surplus A1 upper has.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.