[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Army fitness/what do you guys do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_1.png (608 KB, 655x415) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
608 KB, 655x415
Gday, I am a 19 year old living in New Zealand studying first year history at uni, Im like semi fit but no where near fit enough to join the army, I can do the entry requirement of curl ups and sit ups, I was wondering what you guys do to keep your physical fitness up as I would like to enlist when I finish uni and I have about 2 years to gradually get in good shape. I would ask /fit/ but they all confuse me and kinda scare me, Im a huge fan of army stuff and I go out hunting occasionally but NZ is a very odd place when it comes to army stuff, so like if you guys have any tips about enlisting/ getting fit prior or just anything thatd be amazing.
Cheers in advance
>>
Start running, alot of running. Cardio is relatively quick to build, so 2 years should have you in great shape. Just look up a program to follow or do what I did and just start running a mile a day (Time the first run as a benchmark for later), then gradually push it further and further and so on. Time them too if you want, but its more important to build stamina and leg strength first and start timing your runs later.
>>
>>30350411
What kind of distances should I start with? or should I just try do as much as I can and build it from there?
>>
>>30350274
joining the new zealand army is like being a prostitute in a chastity belt. in the navy you'll at least get to work your job. maybe anyway.

get fit and go straight for sas. there is literally no fucking point otherwise if you want to be an actual soldier, rather than sit around in burnham and get angry at the fucking walls.
>>
>>30350549
HAhah, really? I have family who have served but that was in the past, one of them never actually fired a shot whilst deployed, how steep are the requirements for that? I mean im pretty smart and If I can get fit that might be something?
>>
>>3035047

I was an awful runner to begin with, so I started with just a half mile and back run, even had to take a 10 second break in the middle (I really sucked at it) from there on out, every run I would strive to not stop on the half mile and back at all, then once I done that I pushed it to 3/4 mile and back, ran that till I could do it without stopping and pushed it to a mile and back eventually and just worked from there, improving speed, and distance. So what I would recommend doing is finding an area that you know is, lets say a half mile from your home, run to that and back, time it, and then try and work from there (assuming you had difficulty running it, if not go further to begin with, basically whatever fucks you up is the baseline). I recommend looking up tips on how to run 'right', so to speak, as I can really help you progression. My quick advice would be to breath in deep breaths through the nose, and exhale through the mouth, and try to breath in a pattern as you run, its hard to explain, but once you get into it you'll understand and develop your own pattern.
>>
>>30350699
that sounds like a sound plan, I think I will start trying to run tomorrow and take it from there, thank you !
>>
>>30350696
yeah it'll take a lot but you've got two years.

check the army website, it should have the entry criteria.

there is that documentary on youtube that was done on the sas about ten years ago. watch that.

take up tramping and get used to walking a pack through the mountains for long distances.

also go over to /meg/ and read the fitness advice and links in the op and the thread.

read a lot.

if you want to lift take up powerlifting and strongman. most useful for what you're going to do. but don't forget you'll have to carry a pack for at least 24 hours at one point during selection.

and stay the fuck away from /fit/. they're all faggot retards over there.
>>
>>30350829
No bother man, goodluck! Oh and invest in a pair of light running shorts (They can be dirt cheap it doesn't matter), trying to run in pants is a nightmare, getting good at that is what the army training is for!
>>
>>30350864
I used to tramp ALOT as I used to live in the middle of the forest, yeah thats a good idea, would you say just getting a heavy pack and walking say 10km would be beneficial? or should I aim for meatier distances, I think ill just stick to like push ups and curl ups as thats all you need for the entry criteria, but thank you!
>>
>>30350274
I feel like /fit/ would probably suit this better.
You better read the fucking sticky when you get there, too.

Also, lift. The answer is always to lift.
>>
>>30351013
great, you know what it's like to be tired and wet in the middle of fucking nowhere. that's about 80% of being light infantry in new zealand. the other 20% is sitting in burnham being angry at the fucking walls.

>10km would be beneficial? or should I aim for meatier distances

fucked if i know, you're gonna have to tailor to your current fitness levels or you'll burn out and fuck out and injure yourself.

>all you need for the entry criteria

word of advice, you're going to have to ditch that shit right now. the guys you'll be aiming to please are the fucking hard chargers of the army. they are those guys that say go 100% all the time blah blah blah but they actually mean it and they do it. sure, they have a new zealand flavour but it's the same shit. you're going to have to greatly exceed those standards if you want to be in with a chance.

the army is not the place for edgemasters or cool kids, and you're not going to able to game the system if you want to make group.
>>
>>30351387
thanks for the insider's advice, I guess I have 2 years and a lot of motivation, hell if I dont want to by the end of it all at least I'll be fit enough to exist, I dont even know what I am, Ive always been a slacker apart from when something tickles my fancy then I go all out, I will start tommorow
>>
>>30350274
Go to /fit/ and READ THE FUCKING STICKY. Seriously though, read it. There is a lot of useful information in there.
In my opinion, just start lifting weights and drinking protein shakes. Get into a routine. I recommend a push (Biceps and back), pull (triceps and chest), and legs routine where you workout 5 times a week. You can throw in some cardio whenever you feel like it and in 2 years you can be looking aesthetic as fuck.
>>
>>30352631
I dont have the money to go to an actual gym though thats the thing, I totally would otherwise
>>
>>30352668
When I first started I just used a 25lb dumbbell and that did wonders for starting off. Do you have, or can you afford just that?
>>
>>30352733
I probably have enough empty milk bottles to fashion a crude version of that
>>
>>30352846
Things that rough, huh? Well, best of luck to you, anon.
>>
>>30352859
Its just poor family and Uni life, Im pressured to do well and Im not super smart so I gotta put a lot of effort into studies and I dont have enough time for a job, such is life
>>
>>30352631
>Go to /fit/

don't ever do this

>in 2 years you can be looking aesthetic as fuck.

he wants to get into a special forces unit, not prance in front of you and your gay mates. fuck off you goddamn faggot.
>>
>>30353441
I dont really mind about aesthetics, I mean theyre a bonus sure of getting fit but I would much rather be able bodied than look like some strange advertisement for menswear, I tried to go on fit last year and it was VERY odd
>>
>>30353441
>he wants to get into a special forces unit, not prance in front of you and your gay mates.

That's literally special forces
>>
>>30353458
>I tried to go on fit last year and it was VERY odd

it's gay as fuck. i was one of the first posters on that board when moot created it and i'll tell you right now after twelve months it was completely destroyed by faggots. probably the powerlifting general and (olympic) weightlifting general threads are useful, but you should stay away from oly lifting; it's too specific an adaptation to be any use to what you want to do, and requires special coaching. most gym heroes who think they're doing olympic lifts are actually doing bad upright rows.

if you're broke then you can try a couple of options. if you want to lift (and i would reccomend powerlifting and or strongman if you're going that route) then look for a powerlifting club. they're generally cheaper. there was one where i lived that was $10 per week and 24 hours a day. different culture. you'll have to mix that in with conditioning and tramping as well to get the ability to haul you'll need. but you don't need to lift. go to the /meg/ thread. in the op there is a link to a us navy website for seals candidates. on that site they give you a program that scales to your fitness levels and gives training guidelines that you can work in depending on how much you can do today. it's good stuff, revolves around different stacks of press ups, pull ups, swiming and running, that sort of thing.. you can also go on youtube and look at some of the home gymnastics shit you can work on at home or the local park. that shit will get you a long way. you don't really need to lift weights to be honest.

there are also other links to military sites there you can explore. you should get useful information about fitness and the kind of requirements that other non-nz units have.
>>
>>30353501
>That's literally special forces

hahah dee haha you are so fucking funny and smart
>>
>>30353541
yeah I feel that, its just my luck that the New Zealand defense force has actually made an app that claims to get you fit enough in 6 weeks, I went for a run before and managed to run about 2.6 kms in 13 minutes which is only like a few minutes off the minimum, I live in small town New Zealand though so shit like that is hard to find but I will certainly search around, Im kinda cursed living in the equivalent country to Ralph Wiggum but hopefully I will manage
>>
>>30350274

USAF here and Sunday just ran my latest 12 mile in 1 hour 40 minutes (inbf chairforce).

Militaries want endurance priority 1, they don't need people who can bench 500lbs. Strength is important but much easier to build. Rule 1: cardio, cardio, cardio. Like others said already you want to start small. Pushing yourself to injury is very easy. Before you do anything make sure to spend 5 minutes warming up and light stretching, then stretch again at the end. If you feel pain somewhere, slow down or stop. "Pushing through it like a man" leads to that man sitting in an office for 3 months healing pulled muscle.

While doing long distance/constant pace is better than nothing you will get best results by doing intervals and sprints. Get on a path and jog for 20 seconds, sprint your HARDEST for 10, jog for 20. Do that for a mile and record your time. Increase your distance when you are not tired when finishing.
>>
>>30353575
the basic army minimum is for loggies and fat girls. forget that shit and take your two years and get good. you've got time, do it proper. and don't forget to get used to carrying a pack again. i'd advise it. they like that shit, they really do. lotta guys in hunt as well.

under 8:30 was not uncommon for the people i knew.

you will have a better time of it if put the effort in now.
>>
RNZAF here, the best advice i can give is to not join the navy.
Armys ok as long as you've got a trade. Most riflemen are either mob guys or retarded. Even if its combat engineer or vehicle mechanic, youll be out in the field all the time and off overseas or jumping out of hercs or anything. Generally the trades get the most deployments but you wont see combat.

If you join the air force you wont be treated like a baby like the other services but you dont get deployed as much unless you are aircrew or maintenance. Air force deployments are fucking great though, 5 star hotels, and every other week youre off to hawaii or malaysia or usa for whatever the fuck.

If you want SAS/Commandos then anyone can join from civvie or any service. Commandos are for if you dont quite make the cut for SAS but theyre always doing exercise, i was doing on with them last month as enemy party. Good fun
>>
>>30353619
yeah for sure, I was surprised as someone who was never good at running through high school and smokes semi heavily that I was nearly able to meet the minimum, I have motivation now so thats cool, I have a good hiking pack im kinda tempted to go out camping by myself for a night or so as exercise/meditation
>>30353669
Ill have a look into, RNZAF seem cool, I have family that served with them but ive never been overly interested due to our 2 planes, yeah some of my dad's mates were riflemen and they are pretty much your stereotypical army guy who tells a lot of stories but still mad respect, I have a friend whose in officer training for the Aussie Air force too and hes loving it, I guess now im just gonna focus on fitness and uni before I have to decide what I wanna do
>>
>>30353742
I know the whole 2 planes joke is great and all but we are actually in the purchasing stage of buying new planes. Besides we also have currently the most investment in the bases and the best salaries across the services. Not only that but the air force technical trades will get you further in civilian life than the army ones as far as pay is concerned. I work with our a109s and we are dropping maintainers all the time to the UAE and europe on six figure contracts so its pretty serious business.

Flying is also heaps of fucking fun, im on the gunnery trial team for the nh90 so i literally get paid to sit in the most advanced chopper in the world and shoot different guns out of it.

Either way, having been to university myself, i have to say i wish i went to the services before going to uni, its a far better option to go into the military out of school than uni in nz, and the nzdf will pay for uni while youre in and give you time off on full pay to study even
>>
>>30350274
I used to run xc and track in college, so I'm a bit biased towards running. But now I'm a gym teacher, so I try to incorporate different kinds of fitness.
If I were you I'd try to start a cardio base of 10-15 miles a week, then increase that very very gradually. 3x and usually 3 sets with a little rest between, try a few of these: Pull ups, push ups, dips, box jumps, and squats. Do variations of those consistently and you'll definitely see and feel improvement. Plus you don't need a gym membership or special equipment for those.
>>
>>30353812
you should be a recruiter cause now im interested hahaha, yeah, Im just going to uni cause my parents pretty much forced me too and its life experience etc yknow, ill look into that though for sure, hell I might even see you in a few years
>>30353865
will do man, theres an exercise trail near where I live and theres a pull up bar that I might utilise when I get a little fitter, I think the last time I tried I could do like 7 of them
>>
>>30353911
You are very like I was. I did two years at Waikato Uni before dropping out and joining the air force. I joined as an Avionics Tech and switched to Helicopter Crewman because I wanted to fly. Seriously if you want to learn a trade that will make you a lot of money, aircraft maintenance is in hot demand over the whole world, and its only going to become more lucrative as more aircraft are made.
You also get the opportunity to exchange with 'real militaries' like the UK and Aus. I had a friend off my tech's course who got posted to Aussies 3SQN and worked on Hornets. Fucking awesome.

I still ended up finishing my degree through the DF, they pay for 2 or 3 papers a year if you do it part time, or you can apply for a whole year off on full pay to finish your final year. I finished my degree at Massey Palmy all paid for by the air force, and have nearly paid off my student loan already because you're on $50k starting as a maintainer, or $60k starting as aircrew.

Good shit
>>
>>30353911
Good luck to you, bud!
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.