[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blued vs stainless barrel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 800x309) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 800x309
I know that blued barrels (not chrome lined) corrode internally quicker than stainless steel barrels. How big of a deal is this if you want a rifle that will last 30+ years
>>
>>30336220
nuggets have nothing and have lasted a century
really depends on the owner
>>
>>30336237
Nuggets are not chromed?
>>
>>30336282
nuggets are nothing just plain steel. if there was bluing its usually long gone
>>
Barely matters, really. Standard chrome-moly barrels can rust if not treated properly (read: shoot a shitload of corrosive ammo through them, or fail to keep the bore clean and dry), but stainless will burn out from throat erosion faster. Has something to do with the sulphur content of stainless steels over regular ones.
>>
>>30336282
>nugget
>chromed
Nigga, if you're lucky all you will find in it is a shitload of cosmoline that will take half a day to clean properly if you have OCD.
>>
>>30336298
How do nugget owners prevent the barells from corrosion? I mean corrosion inside the barell. Is it just diligent cleaning
>>
>>30336331
You oil the bore after cleaning, like any gun. Corrosion only happens to morons who don't maintain their rifles.
>>
>>30336331
cleaning and oil
oil prevents rust
>>
>>30336343
I actually leave fouling in the bore so my coldbore shots keep same poi. With non corrosive ammo is this an issue?
>>
>>30336331
Thorough cleaning after firing corrosive ammo (ie. most Nugget food) with something to neutralize the corrosive salts, and oil.
>>
>>30336331

gun oil.
>>
>>30336369

It will be eventually. powder residue tends to contain oxidants, and even if they somehow do not, they will not create a protective layer like oil does.

Nor will you have a consistent point of impact, as the residue will not be identical after each shot.
>>
>>30336343
So for a SHTF scenario rifle, is a blued barell or a stainless steel barrel better?
>>
>>30336310
How corrosive is standard 5.56 nato ammo that the military would use?
>>
>>30336413
not
>>
>>30336398
Being able to spell barrel consistently would be best.

Either will be fine.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.