[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/- Military Enlistment General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: kBi2Tir.png (963 KB, 800x538) Image search: [Google]
kBi2Tir.png
963 KB, 800x538
/meg/- Military Enlistment General

Nothing Found Edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW (embed)

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga (embed)

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857 (embed)

Ask questions, get advice from retards on how to lie on the poly, bitch about recruiters, accuse each other of stolen valor, just keep it in this general.
>>
Are there a lot of people with degrees in SF or Ranger Bat.?

Anybody just leave whatever field they were in before and just enlisted to follow your dreams?
>>
>>30334549
Oh and for someone who left a promising career or salary to enlist, How did that go for you? Any regrets?
>>
I'm gonna be a senior in High School next year and Army Special Forces are appealing as fuck. The problem is I'm 130 and 5'10 with no fucking muscle and I have no idea how to bulk up or prepare for anything, can anyone give me advice on how to prepare for this (I'd be going in after I finish college)
>>
>>30334549
Not a lot. A number. Maybe one in 4-5.

>>30334656
Yes, lots of regrets. I med dropped out of Selection and now I'm trapped in the 82nd - the Marine Corp style koolaid-central of Big Army - for the next 3 years.
>>
>>30334896
>dropped out of Selection
Damn, I feel bad for you anon.

What happened?? Did you get injured or something?

That is one of my biggest fears, in terms of enlisting... Having to spend 4 years doing some shit I don't want to because I washed out somehow, instead of being a free man continuing a career back home.
>>
>>30335023
cont..

All because I wanted to do billy badass shit and serve my country.
>>
going to meps tomorrow for the air force. how mad of an idea is it to put an open aptitude area. i want a 3d0XX job but my recruiter said i need an open area. i dont want to get fucked into a shitty job
>>
I want to join EOD, which branch for EOD is the best? I was thinking going Marines.
>>
Lying at meos about drug use? Do you lie on security clearacne for as well
>>
>>30335217
I don't know how accurate this is, but the meme is going open in the air force pretty much guarantees you'll get Security/mil. police.
>>
>>30335444
exactly. i figure if i put open electrical i should be ok. when i told security forces is the last job id want to do he said pick either mech or electrical open. how many jobs am i allowed to select? he had me pick 15 but i'm only supposed to pick 3-6 for delayed entry?
>>
>>30335286
You've got to be a corporal in the USMC to apply, and the USMC doesn't guarentee MOS slots on enlistment anyway.

The Army has the most diverse mission and variety of speciality units. The Navy almost exclusively supports SEALs and SOCOM task forces. USAF has the least to do.

All services receive identical job training, since it's a joint training center. The drop out rate for off the street enlistment is usually somewhere around 70%. Post-MOS training, Army units have a wide variety of advanced disarming schools, Navy more concentrates on shooting and mark & clear missions. There is some overlap either way, but that's the trend.

If post more but I'm on vacation on my phone, ask next week if you want more in depth.
>>
Leaving to go to basic and eventually AIT in 11 hours /meg/. See you in November.
>>
Anyone know the process for becoming a Sniper in the Army Reserves? Is it even possible?
Also if anyone here is Rifleman Reserve, how many field exercises do you go on each year?
>>
>>30335708
Good luck, have fun.
>>
one week til i gotta weight in at meps lads, i needed to lose 1.5 inches off my waist and dropped about 8 pounds so far in the last week. any advice?
>>
Just enlisted as a 19D in the army. Enjoy the Underwear Olympics.
>>
I have a question, does anyone have information on fitness requirements for an 18D and any suggested workout plans for it?

I have a few years to wait until I can be one so it just means more time to train.
>>
File: comrade.png (436 KB, 882x870) Image search: [Google]
comrade.png
436 KB, 882x870
Seriously thinking about Chemical Corps in the Army

what do you think /meg/
>>
File: ET.jpg (19 KB, 256x245) Image search: [Google]
ET.jpg
19 KB, 256x245
Thinking joining the navy and being an et. Maybe submarine et.
What difference does having a degree make for this kind of thing? Reading the page it says you don't need college education, but I'm not about to just drop out and enlist
>>
>>30336475
It's pretty much a shit job. When you do get to train, it's all mass decon make work.

If you have an interest in chemical weapons, go Army EOD and then steer to get assigned to the 21st CO who specialize in it and actually do live incidents on a regular basis.
>>
>>30336943
well if you know, what does the Chem Corps do exactly? i love CBRNe stuff but i mean lets say a war broke out right now what would they do? everywhere ive read online they say 74a just passes out gas masks. how is shit exactly? cant find much online
>>
>>30336985
The biggest purpose they have is mass decon, especially for vehicles and equipment and setting up large CBRNE detection equipment. The amount of training on the details of chemicals given is very low to most. There are a few joint chemical corps/EOD units, but very few slots.

EOD will deal with chemical weapon threats because they are able to deal with the fuze or boobytrap hazards. Normal EOD training and refresher training hits chemical stuff pretty hard. The 21st EOD are "the guys" to call for CBRNE and they specialize entirely in it. If you want to deal with chemical weapons for real in your career, it's the place to be. They do live incidents for old chemical munitions or improperly disposed chemicals inside the US (this actually happens surprisingly often) and they get called out for suspected chemicals on deployment.
>>
>>30337082
alright this helps my man thanks for the info
>>
Daily Reminder To Never Enlist In The US Armed Forces As:
>Military Police
>Security Forces
>Master-At-Arms
>11B Or Equivalent Combat Arms
>Most Combat Arms
>>
>>30336813
You should finish school, finish it well and go for commissioning in the Navy as an officer. If you are in your second or first year of school, you could seek out your school's ROTC program.

We need to know more about your educational situation.
>>
>>30335514
Get the job you want like I did. I don't regret being in dep for 6 months for it. 1a8x1
>>
>>30337410
>>11B Or Equivalent Combat Arms
>>Most Combat Arms
explain
>>
>>30337445
this fall will be my third year, and I'll start getting into my major (ee) courses in spring.
To my knowledge my college doesn't have a navy ROTC program, just army and airforce. Does that matter?
>as an officer
that term doesn't convey much. I want to work with circuit boards and electronic equipment, hence et. Where does being an officer over enlisted come into play (other than the obvious pay)?
>>
>>30337851
He's a faggot REMF
>>
File: Pirat Tanks.jpg (456 KB, 2429x1126) Image search: [Google]
Pirat Tanks.jpg
456 KB, 2429x1126
>>30337851
Some people really want combat arms. That is fine. Some people do their research and still do want combat arms. That is really, really fine.

The problem is is some people get the idea they'll get to do fun, rough grunt shit all the time if they enlist as a grunt, or constantly rock and roll in a tank if they enlist as a tanker. These people are the same type that need to be reminded of the Big 3 No's (Seriously, don't even consider those first 3) because they don't do their research about the joys of peace time garrison life, a life devoid of the things they are enlisting for.

So they enlist, do their 4 years and separate as broken bitter people with skills irrelevant to the civilian world they find themselves in and life skills so sucky and chemical addictions so great they can't take advantage of their G.I. Bill.

All this, because they didn't look to get an MOS or AFSC or rating that could have helped them in the event they decided not to stay in.

But its your choice, just make sure you do your research. The first 3 are never okay though. Never.
>>
>>30338307
That picture is so much National Guard.
>>
I've been a weak, fat faggot my entire life, but I've started losing weight and doing bodyweight exercises in preparation for enlisting. I've been progressing smoothly with sit-ups, but push-ups have been much harder for me. At the beginning I couldn't even do one, so for a few weeks I did incline push-ups on stairs until I got to the point where I could do one push-up. But I'm having trouble improving past that. I've been doing that one push-ups several times a day for almost two weeks now, but still can't do any more. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
File: 1463005548895.png (388 KB, 1038x1864) Image search: [Google]
1463005548895.png
388 KB, 1038x1864
>>30339106
Is the reason you cant do them cause you are too fat or cause you are so thin you have no muscle at all? if you are still fat then keep loosing weight and it will get easier the less you weigh. Also if you cant do many yet keep doing incline pushups to assist.
>>
How strict can the medical examination be at MEPs? Ive never broken a bone, never surgery, never had a disease, no eye/ear problems, no tattoos/piercings, never seen a mental health doctor, never been on meds, never a drinker.

But I smoke
>>
Is there another job similar to air force PJs in another branch? Other than just combat medic or corpsman or something?
>>
What all do I need to get into OCS, and is it competitive to get in?

I'm about to be a senior with a stem degree at a well regarded liberal arts school (I know /liberal arts/, but we seriously have some good stem programs) with probably a 3.0, tons of extra curriculars and leadership activities, in great shape, no internships or anything. What are my chances?
>>
>>30337932
If you already have a degree it's stupid to enlist, just go for dat sweet sweet comission like anon up there said. More dolla dolla, better retirement dolla dolla, a tad more stressful but you won't get your hands dirty.
>>
>>30342109
That... answered none of my questions
>>
>>30342937
To over simplify it, Officers are pretty much managers. They are over enlisted personnel who do the "actual", hands on work.

If you are getting an EE degree and want to play with circuit boards and you enlist as an electronics technician of some-sort, then you'll probably be under earning what you could do in civvie land.

I'd look up and call your Officer Candidate School recruiters for the AF and the NAVY and see if they know of any officer positions that are more "hands on."

The upside to enlisting with a degree is more long term. You'll start as higher pay and rank, and depending on what gizmos you get to play with you could be seeing nice military-industrial complex contractor jobs, especially if you went AF.
>>
>>30343113
Ah that makes more sense. I very much would rather have a hands on job then ordering people to do stuff.
There's a "navy recruiting station" pretty close. Should I talk to them?
> if you went AF
I assume that means air force?
>>
File: blarg.jpg (8 KB, 270x480) Image search: [Google]
blarg.jpg
8 KB, 270x480
Hey fuckers I'm an 11b attached to SF in Afghanistan

Here's a video of me shooting an M134 minigun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH0W7-2f0o8&feature=gp-n-y&google_comment_id=z122vtxpplm4yngqg04cindaim2qgpaj4hs

Ask shit if you want, mostly just bragging.
>>
>>30340445
That 3.0 is 'okay' for a STEM competitively. What kind of STEM?

You're in great shape. How do you know this? Have you looked at the Physical Fitness Test requirements and confirmed you can score above 280?
>>
>>30343146
That's tight. Pulling security for SF guys over there?
>>
>>30343184
Going through a rip, gonna be working outside the wire with the new group
>>
>>30343141
Yes, you should. Let them know what you're looking at doing, what you want to do, and see if they know how you could go about it. Be respectful, listen well and come with a list of questions.

I would also look up the policies of your school's AF ROTC program.

And AF is Air Force. I suggest them because they do the most "technical stuff," and you there's always the chance you get to fly stuff.

>>30343146
Would you recommend the grunt life?
>>
>>30343228
Yeah it's fucking awesome both in garrison and on deployment. Plenty of career opportunities and a very competitive environment. Also the best brothers you'll ever meet, no matter your IQ, ethnicity, etc. I'm one of the brightest here and there sure are some fucking retards and there is only 2 total people I don't like in my platoon, and it is agreed on that they are the worst soldiers in the platoon.
>>
>>30343228
I'll look into it. flying things is overrated though. Plus without my glasses I have impaired depth perception.
Do you get to travel being in the AF?
>>
>>30343281
Really depends on the job. Some, though not many, are tied to a very specific list of bases.

Its what you make of it really. You can apply for posts overseas, and in addition you get 30 days paid leave which provides lots of opportunities for personal adventures outside the radius of your post.

Depth perception does limit your options in the AF, but not as much in the Navy. When it comes to Navy though, remember:

You get to see the world. Too bad 70% of it is water.
>>
I have had jaw surgery and now have a metal plate in my jaw should I tell recruiters about this or what
>>
>>30334859
Go to /fit/ and read the sticky
>>
>>30337410
>most combat arms count

Does this include Combat Engineering? That is what I'm most interested in.
>>
Got rejected from armour because of vision problems. Could I get LASIK and come back in another year, or is it because even my best corrected vision is bad?
>>
>>30343448
Navy sounds slightly more appealing.
I'll be sure to ask about hands on officer stuff.
Anything you'd recommend I try to ask the recruiters?
>>
>>30343146
Right on. I was an 11B and we got attached to some seals. They were supposed to be training some Iraqis but they never showed up, so they ended up just doing the training with us and took us out on missions
>>
>>30339860
bump
>>
>>30344260
Ask about what the needs of their branch is, as well as what is projected to be in demand. Ask them what mistakes they see would be recruits make that make them ineligible and see if they can get you in contact with the regional OCS recruiter.
>>
>>30344356
If you can pass the PT test well, why worry?

You should stop smoking by the way.
>>
>>30344356
Pretty easy, just a basic physical
>>
>>30344381
Alright. Thanks for the info
>>
>>30334526
I dont know how politically correct sf squadrons but if its anything like what ive seen in non combat squadrons then dont join at all. Plus I cant imagine having to defend my decisions in the heat of battle and questioning my kills. 0/10 would not join again
>>
>>30344518
Wut?
>>
>>30344171
You should be able to join with glasses if LASIK corrects your vision from "turbo shitty" to "only kinda bad".

LASIK will disqualify you from certain things like Airborne though.
>>
File: spooky.png (2 MB, 777x1088) Image search: [Google]
spooky.png
2 MB, 777x1088
Hey /meg/,

I'm applying for Army OCS as a civilian. I went to MEPS, did the APFT, got the letters of rec, etc etc.

Two last things. One, I have to go speak with a security officer for secret clearance. What's this entail exactly? What's the process like?

Second, I have to sit down in front of a board for an interview. Again, what is this like? What kind of questions are they going to ask? How can I best prepared myself?
>>
File: image11.png (21 KB, 640x281) Image search: [Google]
image11.png
21 KB, 640x281
Want to join USCG but went to mental hospital on my own accord when I was 16 for depression. Am I phucked?
>>
>>30344978

Just don't mention it and they will never know.
>>
>>30343146
What unit are you with?
>>
>>30345119
I'm with (OPSEC) located in (OPSEC) province, on camp (OPSEC). Why'd ya ask?
>>
Navy Intel who was called back for try X-ray: I passed! I ship out in a week (again), shame on me for ever mentioning the kidney stone months ago.
>>
>>30345277
officer? or enlisted?
>>
>>30345231
As a grunt, how do you get attached to an SF unit?
Is it only certain infantry units like the 82nd or the 173rd or does that have nothing to do with it?
>>
>>30345292
Enlisted, I'm only 20.

I'm going to fast track my degree during the Navy and consider going officer when I'm out.
>>
>>30338307

>Big 3 No's

What are those?
>>
I was at the recruiter a few years back and took the ASVAB. I had mentioned some sillu medical things that kept me from going to meps. I am in a different state so if i lied saying ive never been to recruiter would they find out or will that ASVAB still be on record? Also it was navy recruiter so if i went to an air force would they know?
>>
File: Butt2.jpg (102 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
Butt2.jpg
102 KB, 600x549
I'm considering enlisting in the Navy as a backup plan if other things don't work out.

Does anyone here have experience or knowledge in Intelligence or cryptology?

I heard high level security clearance/background check is valuable in the civilian market.
>>
should I wait another 6 months to hear back on the possibility of marine ocs or just enlist? I'm sick of waiting, I've already waited about 7 months
>>
How's life as an AF TACP?

I want something different from a desk job but not as crazy as CCT
>>
>>30345718
Yeah I gotchya. What do you want to know?
>>
>>30345301
Usually if they need someone attached, a unit will just come down on orders to go with.
>>
>>30336156
Kid just do push ups, sit ups, pull ups and run a lot.
Get good at swimming too.
I'm serious.
>>
>>30336156
Calesthenics and cardio, compound lifts if you go to a gym.
>>
>>30335342
This needs to be stickied or some shit.

IF THERE IS NO RECORD OF YOU DOING DRUGS, THEN SAY YOU'VE NEVER DONE DRUGS AND STICK TO YOUR FUCKING STORY AT ALL TIMES WITH ALL PAPERWORK
>>
>>30345753

Are there good prospects in the civilian market?
What is an average day like in terms of workload and bullshit?
How exclusive is it to get in?
Is there good mobility for a career?
>>
>>30334859
SF pt standard is on the 17-20 bracket. Im not at the office at the moment but the minimum is like 50 pu, 59su and 15:30 on the 2 miles. But have in mind that no one shows up at the program performing with the minimum. There are some books and files online that teach you about RASP and their training. Focus on running your 2 miles very fucking fast first and then develop your push ups and sit ups.
>>
>>30334859
Download DA Form 705 and you will see what you need to do in order to max out your PT.
>>
>>30335750
The USAR does not have combat MOSs. You want the National Guard for that. Vut honestly, after OSUT, you will wish you had went active.
>>
>>30337410
>go in as a 42A they said
>youll know everything about the Army within months they said
I hate sitting in front of a computer all damm day.
Go 12N...
>>
>>30345959
I've been curious about that MOS. What do you do?
>>
>>30345873
>options
Yes, but you have to network and make a name for yourself. Not every keyboard monkey gets a slot in the civilian side. The key is to get REALLY GOOD at one or two things, then market yourself to those people.
> average work day
Lots of typing and drinking coffee. On breaks I go talk to people at the smoke pit (again, networking) and at lunch I hide somewhere so I can eat my food in peace.
>exclusive
If you've got the scores and the brain to do it, it's a cake walk. Just pick a job before you go in and constantly pursue it.
>mobility
Explain what you mean by this, please.
>>
>>30345873
Also, sorry for the late reply. Not gonna lie I just got sucked into fallout 4 for a while and forgot.
>>
>>30346505
>>30346529
It's all good. Thanks for the reply.

By mobility, what I mean is if I decide to become and officer, would the transition be smooth, or would I be placed in something completely different.
>>
Thinking about 88M in the army

what kind of action would i see under this mos?
>>
>>30346945
Have fun dying.
>>
File: question-mark-63979_960_720.jpg (71 KB, 515x720) Image search: [Google]
question-mark-63979_960_720.jpg
71 KB, 515x720
>>30346953
?????????????
>>
>>30346934
Oh, officer programs? Yeah. We send people up through STA-21 and OCS all the time. Promotion for Intel officers is kinda in the toilet currently, So keep that in mind. And frankly I think being enlisted is better. Anything else I can help you with man?
>>
>>30346961
You will get IED's up the ass bucko.

Sail army. 88K 88L
>>
>>30346987
Nah that's about it. Navy is a tradition in my family (father was o5) and I want to continue it if I can. I figure Intel would be up my alley.

Thanks for your help.
>>
>>30345838

Good advice for fucking people over if they need a high clearance, desu.
>>
guys im scared

when i was like 15 or 16 my parents took me to see a physiatrist to see if i had any Autism/adhd/learning disorders and the doc just said i was lazy and rebellious. and i was on depression meds for like 6 months at age 16 ish

i stop using them because i figured it was all bullshit and just stopped being a faggot.

now im worried about MEPS

WHAT DO
>>
>>30345811
Do you have any plans?
>>
>>30345837
Do you have any plans?
>>
>>30347340
Rucking
Running
Starting Strength

It's not complicated
>>
>>30345400
>Military Police
If you want to be law enforcement, become law enforcement. MPs are actively avoided as new hirees because they need to be completely retrained for the non-military judicial system.

You will end up scanning ID cards to let people onto post, and when you're not doing that you'll be responding to every, and I mean EVERY kind of degree of battery, assault, rape, spousal abuse and public intoxication known to man and some thought only to be comprehend-able by God. For 4 years.

>Security Forces
Enjoy scanning people into the post at the gate and standing around with a rifle. That is exactly what you do. For 4 years.

>Master-At-Arms
See above, except with sailors and marines. For 4 years.
>>
>>30347192
>>30347192
>>
what is the meps medical test like? i have mine next tuesday. is there anything i should do to prepare for it?
>>
>>30343175
I can bench 275 at around 12% bf and can run medium ok, and running/cardio in general is what I will be focusing on for the next year over strength training.

My major is neuroscience, I have taken physics, orgo, biochem, etc. classes in that major.
>>
>>30348048
shut your mouth and get ready to fucking wait around a lot and get treated like shit
>>
>>30347192
>>30348019
does your MOS require a clearance?
>>
>>30346408
Paperwork. Lots and lots of paperwork.
>>
>>30348400
no
>>
What's the Deal with anal fissures? I had one for a few years caused from Huge, major shits and I'd bleed bad after shitting. But they come and go. Will this be an issue at meps
>>
>>30344760
>One, I have to go speak with a security officer for secret clearance.

You just have to fill out your SF86 (history of everything you've ever done and everyone you've ever known).

If you already filled out and submitted that form, then it's an actual interview with a special agent, which means that you fucked up the form or else they found something that they didn't like. It's unusual to have an interview for a secret clearance.

>Second, I have to sit down in front of a board for an interview.

Minimum three officers, minimum one MAJ as the president. What it'll be like depends on personality of the board. Mine, they just tried to rattle me and didn't ask much of anything important.

The correct answer is that you're excited to lead, regardless of where and how.

You're aware that you're likely to get a terrible job, yes? Are you okay with that?
>>
>>30344171
If your vision is so bad that it can't be fixed by glasses, LASIK probably won't work, because there's only so much that they can reshame your eye. You probably need implanted contact lenses.

You should be able to get a free LASIK screening to find out for sure. They will press a gauge against the front of your eye and measure the thickness of your cornea.
>>
>>30348624
>its unusual to have an interview for a secret clearance

can anyone confirm? my recruiter says i will have an interview for a secret clearance for my electronics maint contract.

do they interview people you know like TS? because as far as MEPS went i never inhaled.....

or had been to a doctor.....

or had been diagnosed with ADHD....
>>
>>30348616
Stop sticking things up your asshole
>>
File: 1460654270216.png (703 KB, 744x1052) Image search: [Google]
1460654270216.png
703 KB, 744x1052
Regular old active 11B here, got a bit of knowledge and experience concerning everything regarding both Infantry and Army life, whether it be schools, special opportunities, or just simply regs, I'll be glad to answer.

I'm really bored and just want to make sure people are make the correct decision when deciding to join. So please don't hesitate to ask the dumbest questions.
>>
>>30348831
Is peace time infantry as shitty as everyone makes it out to be? I'm thinking about going as either 11B or 12B and I'm very interested in what life is like when there isn't any wars going on.
>>
>>30348624
Should I go army ocs or marine ocs or go navy nuke?
which would I have a better shot of getting in as far as army/marines go?
>>
>>30348943
Do you want to commission or do you want to enlist?

Those are completely different routes. You can go to an OCS board with no commitment. If they don't select you, you don't have to join. If being an officer is something you're interested in, I'd try that first, then if it falls through look at enlistment options.
>>
So /meg/ I want to go Army and be a combat engineer like my gramps, is it a bad idea?
>>
>>30349024

Tradition is an actual non-dumbshit reason to join the military with a certain job, IMO. Just realize you may never get to do combat engineer shit in the current environment.
>>
>>30348926
>Is peace time infantry as shitty as everyone makes it out to be?
Not really, it depends on your unit on whether or not they make it shitty for you. Mine likes to give out 4/3 day weekends and short days here and there. I've seen some just go into overly bullshit mode for the fun of it.
>I'm thinking about going as either 11B or 12B and I'm very interested in what life is like when there isn't any wars going on.
You do some lame details here and there, but it's not all bad. It's kinda chill if you live the garrison life right.
>>
>>30349023
yeah all 3 are for commissioning. I'm just trying to decide right now which to go through with
>>
>>30349125

NUPOC is a really good opportunity if you're interested in being a nuke, but unless that's your dream job I'd go with Army OCS. That will give you the widest range of possible career paths.
>>
File: 1429918824185.jpg (61 KB, 960x719) Image search: [Google]
1429918824185.jpg
61 KB, 960x719
>>30349162
>Do you guys subscribe to any mantras or creeds?
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1464725793061.webm
>>
How do I chapter out of AIT in the army?
>>
>>30349712

Ask your platoon sergeant. How long have you been in so far?
>>
>>30349726

Maybe 4 months. Our platoon sergeants are dicks so I want to make sure they can't just tell me to fuck off then have a target on my back.
>>
>>30348831
Where are you stationed?
>>
>>30348831
Would you reccomend it? I think I'd go in as an officer but I'm not sure if I'd rather be army or muhreens
>>
>>30334526
>told dad I was probably going to join the military
>he keeps telling me to take a class at community college to see if I like it
>he keeps telling me the military will be "my life" and will be a whole different world than what I am living in now
>he keeps telling me once I get out I'll be a "full grown adult"
>he keeps telling me he doesn't mind if I keep living at home for a couple of years
>he obviously doesn't want me to leave

It's so sad it hurts. How did everyone itt break the news to their parents that you're actually going to join? I already made up my mind I was joining, I just haven't said anything other than "probably" to my dad because I feel like I'll disappoint him.

I never thought this would be the hardest part of joining.
>>
>>30350102
Almost everyone here will tell you to avoid marines. They have a shit system on purpose and take pride in fucking themselves over and making things extra difficult.
>>
>>30350130
Dude dont beat around the bush. It makes you seem like a pussy and it isnt fair to your farther either. Just sit down with him at dinner and tell him that you are joining no matter what and its something you are passionate about and want to do. Its your life live it how you want. All parents worry, in the end your dad will be proud of you if that matters to you at all.
>>
>>30349747
13F?
>>30350149
but the OSO made it seems so cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnxj05FK8R4
>>
>>30350130

The only thing that's sad is you're throwing something good away so you can live like an animal.
>>
>>30335286
Navy EOD has their life made! They've got it so good
>>
>>30350149
>>30350200
So since I don't want Marines, but I want to kill kill kill what do I do?
>>
>>30350202
Why are you here?
>>30350204
Ive heard they are downsizing though, not that anon btw
>>30350200
>but the OSO made it seems so cool
Bro they make every job sound cool as hell, its a trick. see >>30347580 what he said about all those jobs is 100% true but if you watch videos abut them or talk to a recruiter they will make you think you are joining special forces.
>>30350212
Some type of special forces? Option 40 army maybe?
>>
>>30350200

No, if I was 13F I'd probably have graduated already. I'm probably going to be here for around a year even though it was supposed to be like 20 weeks.

>>30350248

>Why are you here?

Because I want to leave and I'm jealous of you.
>>
I came in as an 18X (lol what a dumbass) in 2010, broke my leg in the Q, and ended up in the 173rd. Spent 4 years in Italy, did 3 deployments, now I'm stuck in some shithole leg unit state side. 6 years in and I've got the pleasure of being so broken I've started my medical retirement process. I'm going to get 100% disability and most likely die within the next 10 years from cancer. Totally not worth enlisting
>>
>>30350275
>Because I want to leave and I'm jealous of you.
Then why did you say?
>The only thing that's sad is you're throwing something good away so you can live like an animal.
Bait or something?
>>30350310
Pasta?
>>
>>30350336
>>30350310
Not a pasta, this is my fucked up life
>>
>>30350310
>>30350361
How did you get cancer senpai? Also howd you break your leg in Q course?
>>
>>30350310
what kind of cancer?
>>
>>30350188
It's easier said than done. It's really out of character for him to be sentimental and it catches me off guard. I understand it's my life and I am an adult now, but sometimes he gets to the point where he gets teary-eyed. I understand my situation is common as fuck when a son wants to join the military, but I can't think of anything more gut wrenching than a "goodbye" when I leave.

To make matters worse, he got divorced last year and I assume he's still in the period of sadness from it.

I don't even know what answers I was looking for when I posted ITT. I just didn't know this would hurt so much.

I apologize for my blog post.
>>
>>30350130
Just told my Mother because I knew she'd resist it the most and got it over with, the news trickled down through the rest of the family through her and no one else gave protest.
>>
>>30347044
will i really though? do you get to carry your weapon at least?
>>
File: secret squirrel.jpg (104 KB, 1371x1920) Image search: [Google]
secret squirrel.jpg
104 KB, 1371x1920
Is AFOSI a bag of dicks, or a legitimate counter-intel service?
>>
>>30350248
>Some type of special forces? Option 40 army maybe?
Would that be harder than marines?
>>
>>30350448
Senpai its ok but again you gonna regret not saying goodbye or sacking up and doing it right. Usually parents worry cause they are extremelt ignorant of the military. most think its like saving private ryan or something. Invove your dad and give him as much info and reading material he can handle. It will put his mind at ease.
>>
>>30350476
You joking? Of course it is. If you have no knowledge you need to spend some serious time reading info man. You seem pretty out of the loop.
>>
>>30337410
>Military Police
Is it true that they're just glorified security guards?
Do they have any positions that would prepare them for becoming an LEO after service?
>>
>>30350507
Well I said I wanted Army or Marines, and I got told that Marines jack off to how intense they train and how it isn't worth it, but when I asked for something else I goy Special Forces so I guess I was confused
>>
>>30350489
> Invove your dad and give him as much info and reading material he can handle. It will put his mind at ease.
I guess this sounds like the best thing to do. If I can reassure him everything will be fine then I suppose everything will be less painful. That seems a bit obvious, I don't know why I haven't thought of that..

Thank you anon. I feel a bit better now.
>>
lets say i flunk the math parts of the ASVAB but i get pure 100%'s in everything else

would this be ok?
>>
>>30350551
>how intense they train
No thats not what i meant, they fuck eachother over and take pride at how shitty their jobs are. It has nothing to do with training. Special forces are completely different.
http://www.goarmy.com/ranger.html
Do some reading

>>30350650
Also tell him that its for your future.
Free college senpai. Do 4 years then get out with the GI BILL and you get free school from it. Stress that to him.
>>
>>30337849
thanks. i just went through meps. Understaffed and over booked; i was same day processing, took asvab and did the physical today. it was fun. i'm qualified to do any job in the air force. i'm probably going to wait for the 3d0 job i want. if anyone has questions about meps i'll be happy to answer
>>
>>30349747

Talk to them now. If you're at <6 months time in service you can get out much more easily with an Entry Level Separation. No benefits, but no bad record either. It's a clean slate.
>>
>>30350310

Snowden, is that you?

(he also tried to 18X and broke his legs, lel)
>>
>>30344356
just went through meps today. you smoke cigarettes or pot? i'm the same as you except ive never smoked anything. they drug test you but other than that you fill out a form and the doctor will go over it with you; just answer the same as the form. he didnt seem phased and then touched my balls and checked my ass and i was out on my merry way after 15 minutes.
>>30343451
yes. youll set the metal detector when you go to mep, kek. thats something you should disclose so it doesnt fuck you over later
>>
>>30350849
never pot and never chew, just smokes
>>
>>30348048
clean your ears. clean your body. wear tight underwear. be respectful. listen to instructions.
>>30350870
they didnt even ask anyone about cigarettes. just dont bring it up. they only ask about pot alchohol and hard narcotics. i'm in perfect health besides glasses. i'm >>30350690
btw so if you have any other questions feel free to ask
>>
>>30351049
you can take the ASVAB before MEPS right?
thanks btw
>>
>>30351145
yes. the first time i spoke to my recruiter was last week. i told him i want to get all this shit done asap so i did everything same day. out of the ~200 people getting processed today only around 20 of us were doing everything in one day. ask your recruiter if you can take it before meps or to do a two day sorta thing; asvab on monday physical on tuesday.
>>
>>30351203
alrighty and when do you choose your MOS?
>>
I want to clear up a huge misconception about enlistment.

If you didn't get laid as a civilian, you're not going to get laid just because you're in uniform.
>>
>>30351262

Unless you're female.
>>
>>30351229
depends on what branch youre in
>>
>>30351262
maybe if youre a faggot sailor wearing your cute little sash

Marines wear those dress blues and can easily crush underage puss at the mall all day.
>>
File: 14626424747.png (390 KB, 668x936) Image search: [Google]
14626424747.png
390 KB, 668x936
>tfw get called a pog
>>
>>30351306
>tfw you're in peacetime and all you do in the grunt life is pick up cigarette butts
>>
>>30351262
In my unit if a guy said he was a virgin everyone treated it as a mission to get him laid.

Some guys were hopeless tho and prostitute was always last ditch option.
>>
>>30351229
i'm not sure about other branches or other ways at meps, it sort of varies from the other recruits i was talking too. for me at the end of the day i talked to a counselor for the air force, he looked over my medical and test scores and went over some of education ive had, fears, and stupid shit which is easy to answer correctly. he printed out the jobs i'm eligible for. i wouldve had to sworn in today but since meps was overcrowded and i was stuck in the med testing he said come back withing thirty days. i wualified for the job i wanted and put a few others down and said cool. basically they'll call me when one of the jobs is open and if i wanna go. other branches are different though.
>>
File: 1465552331017.png (69 KB, 366x401) Image search: [Google]
1465552331017.png
69 KB, 366x401
OH FUG I PICKED 88M

I DIDNT FUCK UP DID I?

>80K bonus
>>
>>30351381
80k for motor T????????
>>
>>30351433
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BHSM2ZariM
>>
>>30351262
>>30351300
Mega cringe. No one joins the military to get laid except gigantic faggots or 18 years old douche bags.
>>
>>30350310
I hear ya man. I did 6 years, last jump was an airfield seizure exercise. Dark as fuck out, landed right on the Tarmac and broke my back.
>>
>>30351549
tell that to marines
>>
File: 2myd8oh.gif (2 MB, 400x288) Image search: [Google]
2myd8oh.gif
2 MB, 400x288
>>30351551
>landed right on the Tarmac and broke my back.
>>
If I go 19k where would I likely be stationed?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
Is 24 too old to join up?
I'm a shitposter, my Dad works as an engineer for DSTO which I guess is our version of DARPA and he's worked closely with the ADF at times

He says since I didn't get in when I was 18 there's not a great chance they'll take me. I finish my uni degree this year (Bachelor of Health Sciences) and I was hoping to do a first aid course in my downtime before training up to
join next year to try to get in as a medic

Am I fucked? I'd really appreciate an answer because I posted a couple of threads back and nobody replied to me

Pic related, ROK forces in 'Nam
>>
>>30351556
>tell that to marines
Like I said gigantic faggots or 18 years old douche bags
>>
File: smuganimeface152.jpg (51 KB, 500x509) Image search: [Google]
smuganimeface152.jpg
51 KB, 500x509
>>30351623
>>
>>30351583
its not too old; 28-31 is the cutoff depending on branch. i wont guarantee you get what you want but if you have a BA and first aid under your belt you'll probably be more desirable than some idiot 18 y/o
>>
>>30351549
>taking the obvious bait
>>
>>30351803
Dude the sad part is it isnt even bait. There are plenty of shit heads who seriously think thats true.
>>
>>30351906
well it is true, if you were fresh out of highschool and graduated MCRD and went to a mall in dress blues you could easily pull stupid dumb 17 year old cunts
>>
>>30351948
>went to a mall in dress blues you could easily pull stupid dumb 17 year old cunts

This is what Marines actually believe
>>
>>30351948
I agree with >>30351979
Most people are gonna look at you like you are some try hard faggot. If you think its true then you are most likely one of the people we are making fun of.
>>
>>30352001
>>30351979

hahah it totally is, i dont do this however i enlisted at 21 unlike most the kids at my RSS

idk where you guys are from but in Texas being a Marine is like the worlds greatest thing since all the hicks have mega boners for the Corps
>>
>>30352027
You're either just spouting memes or a virgin.

I refuse to believe that anyone who would wear their blues to the mall is capable of getting laid without paying for it and/or fucking some truly disgusting base trash.
>>
>>30346945
88M here.

It just depends on your unit. If youre in a HET unit youll do nothing but drive and recover basically. If youre put in an FST/FSC god help your soul.

Also IEDs used to be a big problem but not really anymore.
>>
>>30352151
Not him.

But I was placed on recruiters assistance after boot and had to wear my uniform. It was up to me where to hang out all day. Where better than the mall? So I just ate at the food court and shopped around. I was already a contract PFC so I needed two people to get e3 so it was a waste of time. I eventually stopped even going to the mall and just stayed home, I'd call and pretend I was out talking to people.

Anyway I say that because I want people to know I wasn't a try hard boot wearing my uniform for my own reasons (also alpha or Chuck's not blues). Anyway I got two phone numbers and slept with 1 of them before I shipped to SOI. I also got stopped by an old black lady who asked if I would give her a hug. So I did, shit was cash (not really it was awkward).
>>
>>30352027
Lol I did that same shit. Just enlisted in the Marine Corps about a month and a half ago like right when I turned 21.
>>
So today I'm quiting weed after a year and of half of smoking only to realize today I was getting addicted.

Could I possibly still join the AF if I admitted that I tried it college? Are they understanding of someone who let it get out of control and be clean for over a year?
>>
>>30352575
i dont want you in my air force. join the marines.
>>
>>30352591
Maybe. Guy I meet before he graduated with his bachelors in we wanted to fly for the air force but they were skirting him to much so he ended up flying for the Marines.

I rather get into the Air Force and maybe the Navy.
>>
>>30352575
If you've never been arrested for it it never happened. Say nothing.
>>30352591
Get a load of this faggot.
>>
>>30352640
Meant ee as in electrical engineer.
>>
File: Thats_how_it_ends.gif (603 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Thats_how_it_ends.gif
603 KB, 320x240
>>30352658
Yeah but what if they find out through a background check?

Also I am open about it being legal.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 600x549
>>30352591
It finally fucking happened
>>
>>30352658
endorsing something that turns you into a loser.
>>30352640
if you can stay clean for the rest of your life then do it, but ive seen too many people that smoked a lot before service, stopped to get enlisted, then get discharged because the "relapse".
>>30352675
you probably smoked to much to get a waiver. youd have to lie
>>
>>30352675
They won't. I'm not going to explain why, this question gets asked a million times. Go lurk an archive. Lie, or be a dumb bitch and potentially not get in because you can't say a two letter word, "no".
>>
>>30352690
You're such a Grandpa Chair Force faggot.

Shut the fuck up pussy. You're the one giving him bad advice.
>>
Graduated high school in 2015 and took the asvab for fun. Ended up getting called by the navy for nuke since my line scores were good and got a 96 in general.
Any nuke guys here recommend it? Currently going to CC for general ed, but i feel like college is just spinning the wheels in the mud while wasting money.
>>
>>30352196
How does 88m airborne work?
>>
>>30352716
Advising someone who has smoked a year+ to lie. Most of the "good" jobs in the chair force require some clearance. Unless he bought marijuana from some random dealer and smoked in a hidey hole he could be really fucked. Chances are he smoked with some shitty friends who could end up getting interviewed and sell him out because they care more about their own skins then his. the one thing i hate about my generation is that no one wants to own up to the consequences of their actions. you did drugs, you cant/shouldnt join a federal agency. this board will see a gif of a white nonchalantly walking through the hood get creamed by an urban youth and say he deserved it for being unaware but when its time own up to their own mistakes no one does.
>>30352801
youll likely end up on a carrier or sub. pay is well and there's a chance of working at nuke plant when you get out but i hear most of those are getting flooded with former navy nukes
>>
>>30352837
Do you have a secret clearance? Because I do (I think it lasts 10 years and will expire soon). I have a resume on Clearance Jobs dot com.

They didn't even interview my family, friends, or even myself. What are you some depper shit stain? The only thing you said that's correct is to stop smoking, obviously. Then once you're out blaze it if you want.

It's like if you stold something as a kid but never arrested and then admitting you're a thief when they have nothing on you. Same fucking logic just deny it, and make sure you piss clean.
>>
>>30348616
Depends, I recommend having a super hairy, questionably wiped and otherwise unappealing asscrack on MEPS day just to provide deterrence for the guy whose job it is to make sure you have no butt problems (he's actually just looking for hemorrhoids) so he doesn't go poking around in there.
>>
>>30336156
These guys telling you running push ups sit ups whatever. Obviously get a 300 on your PFT. Whats important to get through SFAS and Q course is rucking. Do your rucks. ruck 5 miles with a total time of 45 minutes. Train those feet, the stress fractures and knee pain could end your training before it begins if you dont prepare aptly
>>
Planning on going in for my few years in the ADF.
Going into Armour Cav. Anything i should be made aware of before going?
>>
File: go outtaarmy.png (9 KB, 856x48) Image search: [Google]
go outtaarmy.png
9 KB, 856x48
>>30334526
My main hesitation in joining has been pic related, so at age 25, I have no .mil experience. However, I'm /fit/, I have medical training (EMT), marksmanship skills, good /out/ experience, and a solid martial arts background. Should I/can I still operate?
>>
>>30353012
American, btw.
>>
>>30353012
>Letting a post on 4chin stop you from enlisting
>Believing a post that unironically uses SJW
>>
>>30353012
>>30353019
Oh, also, I took a practice ASVAB senior year of highschool and scored near-perfect on it--my enlisted recruiter told me to ignore his boss and go officer track, but I got sick for a bit and ended up rethinking things and didn't go .mil.
>>
>>30353031
That post sums up what I've heard from friends in the military, and was screen capped more recently than my decision.
>>
Would me trying to go the officer route change anything?

Weed quitter here
>>
>>30353049
I guess it is if you consider SJW shit sitting in briefs telling you not to fuck passed out chicks or grab a coworker's tit
>>
File: Snapchat-3337375774796699949.jpg (330 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3337375774796699949.jpg
330 KB, 1080x1920
Cut myself during my last year of high school pic related
Will this stupid shit be a problem If I try to join?
If so is there anything I could blame it on or a lie that would work?
Anybody with experience with this typ of shit?
Thanks senpaitachi
>>
>>30354013
just say you fell on a bush or some stupid shit
>>
>>30354017
Bushes don't leave repeating straight lines on your arms and chests though :/
>>
>>30354020
Say you got your arm pinched by a spring.
>>
>>30354013
road rash
>>
>>30334526
Guys, what are the most important cognitive and mental skills an officer can possess?
>>
>>30354067
Spatial awareness and leadership skills
>>
>>30354013
Blame cats
>>
File: 1464994993682.jpg (1 MB, 5150x3426) Image search: [Google]
1464994993682.jpg
1 MB, 5150x3426
>>30354297
>>30354075
>>30354017
So it will cause problems if I try and join and I am going to have to lie about it I guess...
>>
File: Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png (42 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
42 KB, 2000x1000
any of you dudes in the NZ military?
>>
>>30354378
New Zealand has a military?
>>
>>30354387
yea it's real small time and rough, well at least for me to get into, though i would ask and see but the chances are low for anyone on /k/ to be a nz fag
>>
>>30354390
What are the benefits of going to airborne school? And how difficult is it?
>>
>>30354390
>>30354387
Didn't mean to respond
>>
>>30354464
>What are the benefits of going to airborne school?

Fucked up knees for the rest of your life.
>>
>>30348624

I'm pretty sure then the security officer will be because of my job. For the Pst five years I've worked at a travel company that sells hotels/villas/properties in Latin America, primarily Mexico. I live there for about month every year as well.

But you're saying I'll get a terrible job. Why's that?
>>
Going to be enlisting in the adf within the next two months or so. What kind of run time, for a 2.4km run, should i be aiming for? My current time is about 13 minutes. Also will my weight be a problem? Im a competitive powerlifter so im pretty heavy, 178cm and 105kg at about 20% bodyfat. I should be able to get down to around 98-100kg before i enlist but my bmi will still be 31.
>>
>>30354464
Being elite
>thinking you're elite
>>
>>30352960
Out of intrest what is a 300 score? I'm a Brit joining the US Army hence the waiting period until I get my citizenship to go SF.
>>
File: fs.jpg (418 KB, 708x582) Image search: [Google]
fs.jpg
418 KB, 708x582
>>30354507
>>30354464
Easy. I love every second of my job.
>>
>>30354613
100 points in every PT event. Look up fm 7-22.
>>
>>30348831

What would you say makes a good officer vs a bad officer? We're talking about O1 and 2s here. I'm going to OCS and hoping I get Infantry.
>>
>>30354643
The full assumption of responsibility of your platoon, regardless of what the consequences might be if you or they fail something.

Knowing what your duties are and not meddling in Sargent business.

Releasing the men when you know there is nothing else going on.
>>
tfw can't do more than 10 pushups/crunches

Tfw absolutely no cardio

How fucked am i
>>
>>30354897
Basic will be fun
>>
>>30354897
Are you overweight?
>>
>>30352575
>weed after a year and of half of smoking only to realize today I was getting addicted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPHlAbAf2I
>>
>>30354911
200lbs @5f 7in

So a little bit
>>
>>30354922
Breh. I'm 215 at 6'5". You have some work to do.
>>
>>30354956
Tfw eternal manlet
>>
>>30354968
Don't feel too bad, the back issues are real.
>>
>>30354785
>Releasing the men when you know there is nothing else going on.

Not military myself, but my roommate a few years back was a former Gunny in the Marine Corps.

He told me when he took over a shop, that's the exact change he made, it improved morale considerably and everyone was so happy.

Is there really a problem in the military that they just keep guys around when they don't have to be?
>>
>>30347109
What are some things you would need clearance for? For an mos I just want regular infantry stuff.
>>
>>30355144
Signal, MI, certain mechanics and vehicle crewmembers.
>>
>>30355204
What do clearance actually mean? Do they give you a poly or something? Or just look at your meps paperwork? If they interview people, I'm fucked.

>blacksheep of the family
>hung out with all the stoners in school, but only tried pot a few times in my life
>never had many friends
>>
>>30355241
Want to join marines if that means anything.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.