[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never been turkey hunting before, but why does turkey hunting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: 197329_ts.jpg (150 KB, 1154x1154) Image search: [Google]
197329_ts.jpg
150 KB, 1154x1154
Never been turkey hunting before, but why does turkey hunting demand such insanely powerful ammunition?

I can shoot any .30 06 rifle all day but a box of these left me traumatized.
>>
>>30326984
turkeys are plump, and you need some range on those fuckers sometimes.
>>
>>30326984
Turkeys are hardcore. I've had them tank those rounds and keep going. One time I hit one and didn't penetrate the chest through the wing, and being young and dumb I charged into the brush after it and tackled the fucker since it couldn't fly away (and ammo was expensive as a young teen).
>>
>>30327039
Then why don't rifles make more sense? Is the bird=shotgun logic too strong?
>>
File: turkeyload.jpg (83 KB, 848x477) Image search: [Google]
turkeyload.jpg
83 KB, 848x477
>>30326984
Because you need to make birdshot almost take a turkey's head clean off. if you shoot the body you're only ruining meat and since they don't fly breaking their wings and making them plummet to their death isn't an option

also, felt recoil and pressure is more to do with shot weight than powder. turkey shot is almost buckshot.
>>
>>30327069
I have wondered this for years. There are turkeys behind my house in a hayfield all the damn time. They are about 200yrds away, and I want nothing more than to let my 22-250 run wild on them. It would be easy as pie.
>>
>>30327069
bird=shotgun logic is very strong, but please, be my guest to try it with a rifle. You wont hit anything. Not because you're not accurate, but turkeys have a magical power to curve rifle rounds around them. They can only use this magical power once, so if you send many projectiles, one should hit.
>>
>>30327069
>>30327091
I have shot a running turkey hen at somewhere between 200-300 yards with a .308. It exploded into feathers and the left breast was basically just gone.

>the turkey running next to it just stopped and stared at the falling feathers, dumbfounded
>I should have bagged it too but I was too busy gawking at the feathers myself
>>
>>30327082
That third degree shit says on the box that it can damage bores. WTF is it made out of?
>>
>>30327125
Probably steel.
>>
>>30327125
Steel shot going out hard eats the shit out of a choke after awhile.
>>
>>30327125
Steel alloy? To damage a metal, one must use a harder metal.

>source: mech eng school, metallurgy class
>>
>>30327153
>>30327161
Worse yet are those "hevi shot" shots made of tungsten. Only a fool would shoot ammo that's made of a harder material than the gun itself imho, but then again I've never tried em.
>>
ever heard that idiom "running like a chicken with its head cut off?"

well turkeys do that, if you don't kill em dead. as such, you take a very powerful load and a very tight choke to create basically a 8"x8" wall of lead moving at 1500 fps, and then you decapitate the turkey faster than the speed of sound.

you also don't want to bulldoze the meat with lead pellets, so most turkey hunters are aiming for headshots

>>30327069
you can try to shoot it with a .22wmr, but you'll need a headshot or it will run off. anything greater in center mass will obliterate the turkey
>>
>>30327181
the shot leaves the bore in the carrier, does it not?

as long as you haven't over-choked it, it should be fine. eg most factory full chokes cant handle steel, although you can buy specialized ones.
>>
>>30327117

There is a world of difference between a 308 and 22-250.

I just want to put a varmint grenade into the birds neck whenever they are strutting around like dicks, taunting me with their tasty meat.
>>
>>30327082
I guarantee you turkeys do fly if you rustle their jimmies.
>>
File: poorfag's gunbelt.jpg (112 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
poorfag's gunbelt.jpg
112 KB, 960x540
>>30327181
I can understand why. with the ban on using lead shot for birds. it's a pain in the ass to get steel shot up there. it's too damn light and patterns like shit. while tungsten is almost as dense as lead.

Besides, it's expensive so you wouldn't be using it for just blasting shit. you'd only put in it your gun for game time.
>>
>>30327257
Me likey that pic.
>>
but the real question is how is tuckey shot for HD?
>>
>>30327257
that's only for waterfowl. they don't want lead in the water, but you can shoot geese in a wheat field with lead all day.
>>
Would a less powerful rifle like a .243 or 7.62x39 be powerful enough to kill a turkey without destroying it? Maybe using FMJ would work?
>>
>>30327170

You should ask for your money back.

https://youtu.be/PCsoC3i7JYc
>>
>>30327283
>geese
>not a waterfowl
Doesn't matter where the bird is still can't shoot it with lead.
>>
>>30327283
>that's only for waterfowl.
ah. most of the flying birds in my area tastes like shit so i never really paid attention other than what the dudes at the proshop says is legal to use or not.

Have got to use a lot of turkey loads for the fun of it though. it's perfect to use on Coyotes.
>>
>>30327302
Well no fucking shit. Anything blasted at 150k psi is going to fuck up whatever it hits. Shotgun pressures are nowhere near that. I'm referring to metals damaging metals with a realistic amount of energy.
>>
>>30327102
this>>30327069

I've only hit a turkey with my raifu once. I don't know if it was the beer whilst waiting for a turkey, or if they're magic, either way the benelli does the trick a lot more consistently.
>>
>>30327278
It's a good budget shotgun and the nugget puches can hold like 6-8 shells in each pocket. pretty good for a shotgunner.

the suede cord is good for tying up your kills for transport. it's strong enough not to snap but also soft and somewhat elastic to keep from digging into your shoulder.
>>
Can I Turkey hunt with my sks
>>
>>30327302
uh bro, it's not the water doing the cutting, it's the silicon carbide that the water is carrying. and yes that is harder than any steel.
>>
>>30327424
can you squirrel hunt with an SKS?
your target's kill zone is about the same size
>>
>>30327170
to cause wear one must use a harder metal
>>
>>30327170
>>30327181
I'm sorry that neither of you know that shotgun shells use a plastic wad to keep the shot together. Steel and tungsten shot have warning on them because guns with tight chokes and old guns with fixed chokes don't allow the harder shot to swage down as lead would do. So the excess pressure is bad for the barrel, there is no metal on metal contact.

Jesus fucking Christ
>>
>>30327243
I've seen turkeys fly up to the tops of tall pine trees to get away from dogs. I've also seen them take an electric fence square in the titties and freak out like /r9k/ trying to dance for about five seconds before flying away.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.