[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Super soldiers when?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: s-2-24-600x250.jpg (39 KB, 600x250) Image search: [Google]
s-2-24-600x250.jpg
39 KB, 600x250
> First Prototype Of Combat Exoskeleton That Stops Bullets With Liquid Armor Will Be Ready In 2018
> The special unit of the United States Armed Forces, Special Operations Command (SOCOM), is busy overseeing a new warfare technology that will be capable of performing functions similar to the armor of Iron Man.
> Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States, are building a combat exoskeleton (armor) called Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit (TALOS) for SOCOM. It is said the TALOS project started way back in 2013. SOCOM claims that the Navy SEALs and Special Forces would use the suit for special operations. It has been revealed that the first prototype of TALOS will be ready by 2018.
Would they waste such tech on a replaceable grunt?
>>
>>30326427

>that will be capable of performing functions similar to the armor of Iron Man

Why they lie like this? Why can't they lower their expectations down to something like Exo-Man?
>>
>>30326427
Eventually? Yes.

More likely, we'd see them as either urban assault units or heavy weapons carriers. I mean, you could plausibly carry an 81mm mortar singlehandedly with powered armor.
>>
File: SROSM-Balazs-finish-lake-placid.jpg (130 KB, 600x539) Image search: [Google]
SROSM-Balazs-finish-lake-placid.jpg
130 KB, 600x539
>>30326492
Different Iron Man I suppose
>>
>>30326517
>Those legs

I-is that normal for runners?
>>
>>30326427
>>30326499

>listening to Forever War audio book
>that first training accident

Hats off to the guys who gotta test that shit first.
>>
>>30326427
I remember a piece of media from some sort of darpa conference, depicting exo soldiers being able to jump through 2nd story windows.
>>
>>30326617
Actually, the control systems were all tested ages ago. Most of the bottlenecking is in the power supply.
>>
>>30326528
umm...yes? I mean they're a bit on the thin side but not really unhealthily so.
>>
>>30326427
Come and tell me when it can stop an RPG.
>>
>>30326752

>Most of the bottlenecking is in the power supply.

Ain't it always, and that in itself will have its own set of problems I reckon.

>"Now, you didn't get much in-suit training Earthside. We didn't want youto get used to using the thing in a friendly environment. The fighting suit is the deadliest personal weapon ever built, and with no weapon is it easier for the user to kill himself through carelessness. Turn around, Sergeant.

>"Case in point." He tapped a large square protuberance between the shoulders. "Exhaust fins. As you know, the suit tries to keep you at a comfortable temperature no matter what the weather's like outside. The material of the suit is as near to a perfect insulator as we could get, consistent with mechanical demands. Therefore, these fins get hot especially hot, compared to darkside temperatures as they bleed off the body's heat.

>"All you have to do is lean up against a boulder of frozen gas; there's lots of it around. The gas will sublime off faster than it can escape from the fins; in escaping, it will push against the surrounding ice, and fracture it and in about one-hundredth of a second, you have the equivalent of a hand grenade going off right below your neck. You'll never feel a thing.

Good book, I liked that one guy kept a 1911

>Now I'm only gonna say this once so you better listen," he growled. "We are in a combat situation here, and in a combat situation there is only one penalty for disobedience or insubordination." He jerked the pistol from his hip and held it by the barrel, like a club. "This is an Army model 1911 automatic pistol, caliber .45, and it is a primitive but effective weapon. The Sergeant and I are authorized to use our weapons to kill to enforce discipline. Don't make us do it because we will. We will." He put the pistol back. The holster snap made a loud crack in the dead quiet.
>>
File: 1464577182990.gif (497 KB, 250x140) Image search: [Google]
1464577182990.gif
497 KB, 250x140
>>30326765
I've been doing too many squats. My perspective on legs is completely warped.
>>
File: marathon runner.jpg (72 KB, 634x499) Image search: [Google]
marathon runner.jpg
72 KB, 634x499
>>30326517
this guy looks ok for a runner.
marathon runners tend to look anorexic.
>>
>>30326964
>I've been doing too many squats.

Mm, lemme see those buns of steel, baybee..
>>
>>30326964
You have to be really light to run a competitive marathon time; all Olympic level long distance runners are skelingtons especially compared to sprinters.

Once you get into ultramarathon distances, runners start to look normal again since it is not humanly possible to maintain a four-and-a-half minute per mile pace for 500 miles; we simply cannot store enough calories to do so. Slower pace = more normal body type.
>>
>>30326752
Why don't they just have it use less power?
You have some gravity balanced passive exo-skeleton lifting maybe 200 pounds, takes all that weight off your back.
>>
>>30326964
Its normal for distance / marathon runners.

Sprinters have legs like tree trunks.
>>
>>30326999
That's a pretty spooky skeleton, upside-down Satan.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.