[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do SWAT officers do day to day, when they aren't being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: SWAT.jpg (186 KB, 1000x607) Image search: [Google]
SWAT.jpg
186 KB, 1000x607
What do SWAT officers do day to day, when they aren't being deployed for raids and shit? Do they train all shift? Or do they just sit around waiting in case something happens?
>>
>>30294590
Depends on the department. Major departments have full time SWAT teams that will either be training or serving high risk warrants on their work days. Most departments have part time SWAT teams that will train a few days a month together, serve high risk warrants or respond to high risk situations when they come up, and perform normal law enforcement functions based on whatever their day job is when they aren't doing SWAT stuff.
>>
>>30294590
They're cops, so...cop stuff.
>>
>>30294612
>>30294623
Didn't know SWAT cops did regular beat cop stuff. I thought that they just did SWAT stuff.
>>
>>30294630
Nope. Smaller departments can't afford it and don't generally have a need for a full time team or teams. My dept is 120 sworn and has a part time team of about 10 guys. You have to have a pretty darn big agency to warrant a full time team.
>>
>>30294647
How big we talking? NYC, Detroit, Atlanta, places of that scale/crime rate?
>>
In my country the SWAT equivelant also has to do normal patrols on the street. It's probably good for them that they are out there and being up to date on what's happening in the city, rather than just locking themselves up in a compound all day.
>>
>>30294686
Yes major cities. I know NYC has some full time units, Dallas does....LA does. Probably most if not all of your major cities. Lot of warrants need to get served.
>>
>>30294698
In those major cities, what are the requirements (generally) to become SWAT? Do you have to be a beat cop for a few years first?
>>
>>30294712
I have absolutely no idea as im not and never have been a police officer any other place than where im at now, but yes. There is not an agency in this country that doesn't require time on patrol to try out for any kind of specialty unit. My agency requires 3 years on patrol (will waive to 1 year if prior military) to try out for SWAT. Not sure our requirements off hand but its similar to the army PFT but with a 1.5 mile run instead of 2 and a swim test. Then theres a weapons qual, not sure the standard but ive seen those guys shoot so it cant be that hard. If you pass then the team votes if they want you or not. If they vote you in they issue you all your gear and attend the training days and call outs as a bitch boy until they send you to a 6 day SWAT school which I have been told is a complete waste of time and money. So thats just an idea of how at least my agency does it.
>>
>>30294712

If you're a cop and you just graduated from academy. It's typically 3-5 years of being a simple beat cop. It can go by quicker if you arrest high-priority criminals, stop dangerous crimes, etc.

Once those 3-5 years is up (depends on your accolades/department) you can apply to become part of a SWAT team. But, you don't have to do that. You can apply to other agencies that have a bigger SWAT team or go get a different job like K-9 Handler, Safety Instructor for your police agency, DEA, FBI, etc.
>>
>>30294590
they patrol, desk jockeys, or are supervisors

>best friends' dad is swat
>supervisor
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.