[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bought my first moist Nuget today. How should I go about removing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (601 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
601 KB, 1920x1080
bought my first moist Nuget today. How should I go about removing
cosmoline?

>Moist nugget general
>>
mineral oil
>>
>>30280946

Boiling water on the metal bits. Dry and clean promptly after you're sure cosmoline is removed. Lube and oil that shit.
>>
>>30280946
Warm water and a mild greaser like Simple Green. Brush it all off with cheap toothbrushes. If you're in an area with strong sunlight leave the wood outside and come back every 15-20 minutes to wipe of cosmoline until there is no more. Grease if in summer/warm climate or oil if opposite.
>>
>>30280946
Put the stock in a trashbag and let it sit in the sun for a few hours to melt the cosmoline off.
>>
>>30280946

>Take stock & handguard
>Wrap in paper towel
>Insert in black trash bag
>Leave in your car on a very fucking hot summer day

>Take metal parts
>Spray liberally with brake cleaner from auto parts store
>Allow for cleaner to evaporate for a while
>Oil everything you just sprayed
>Re-assemble
>>
File: rps20160615_072342.jpg (139 KB, 747x1328) Image search: [Google]
rps20160615_072342.jpg
139 KB, 747x1328
>>30280946
Bought my first nugget 3 days ago.
I just let the metal parts sit in boiled hot water with dish soap for maybe 30mins? Then i scrubbed them with a toothbrush and threw them in clean water before drying them with a hairdryer and oiling them up again. I didn't do anything to the stock other than just wiping the surface, i belive the wood will get too dry and brittle if you sweat it out of the stock.
>>
>>30280946
All of the shit people are recommending here is crap. A man removes the cosmoline from his gun by putting 500+ rounds through it as quickly as possible.

Its both a range day and a nice way to bake out the cosmoline.
>>
File: rps20160615_072647.jpg (111 KB, 747x1328) Image search: [Google]
rps20160615_072647.jpg
111 KB, 747x1328
>>30281119
>>
>>30280946

> sitting in sun takes too long and dosen't remove cosmo completely
> Hot Water and simple green will fuck up the shellac on the stock

Non fudd method:

Go to a hardware store and buy a can of mineral spirits (Stoddard solvent), safe for use on the wood and metal.

Wipe off as much as you can, and the mineral spirits will dissolve the rest. You can use a hair dryer to speed things up and boil it out of the stock a bit.

Brake Cleaner is fine for the metal but a no-no for the wood

Re-oil all parts thoroughly when finished. If you have a can of CLP you're all set.
>>
>>30281134
The stock, yes..
The metal parts, not a good idea.
Cosmoline can get really hot and actually make the metal parts disform and your bolt will get stuck or fireing pin will bend, spring will get deformed etc....
>>
hey K, bout to get my first black powder gun, along the same thread anyone got a list for a first timer about what greases' and cleaners to get?
>>
Get that chamber and bore super clean. If there is even a film of cosmoline in the chamber. You will have sticky bolt, after firing.
>>
>>30281172
>Brake Cleaner is fine for the metal but a no-no for the wood
if you use brake cleaner, dont shoot it or apply heat/flame to it until its completely dried off. the fumes from it can kill you quite easily.
>>
>>30281172
I can vouch for brake cleaner, that shit works wonders.
>>
>>30280946
>Buying a nugget
>In this market
Lmao how much you pay 250 I bet
>>
>>30282081
Paid 140 for mine with all the accessory, unused.
>>
>>30281381
Handgun or rifle?

I've never used any grease in a handgun except to protect from rust for storage, but i always use bore butter in my rifle to keep fouling soft for both cleaning later and getting more shots before swabbing the bore.

also,real black powder or substitutes?
substitutes need a good solvent like hoppes. but real black powder can be cleaned with soap and hot water.
>>
Just fucking shoot it the cosmo will work itself out.
>>
>>30280946
I put metal parts in a tub of boiling water and scrubbed the stock with some simple green.

Though my Mosin still sweats during the summer.
>>
>>30280946
Piss on it
>>
File: Comrade Horsehead.jpg (1 MB, 720x7332) Image search: [Google]
Comrade Horsehead.jpg
1 MB, 720x7332
>>30280946
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.