[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Giving pops a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle for Father's Day. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: Mini-14-wood-stock[1].jpg (8 KB, 535x272) Image search: [Google]
Mini-14-wood-stock[1].jpg
8 KB, 535x272
Giving pops a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle for Father's Day.

What are some sensible accessories to include with it?

What is /k/ getting their fathers?
>>
>>30255706
A good scope and some Ruger mags. A cleaning kit. A three-piece leather sling. The usual.
>>
>>30255732
>A three-piece leather sling
excellent idea! thanks! I was a bit unsure what direction to go with the sling.
>>
File: 20160611_183256.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160611_183256.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>30255785
Better yet, get one of these fucks. It's like a Ching sling but it doesn't need an additional sling swivel

http://www.andysleather.com/#!product/prd1/1346151421/rhodesian-sling%2C-for-your-scout-or-hunting-rifle.
>>
>>30255706
•Leather sling
•scope mount
•adjustable large aperture scope for his less-than-prime vision
•M14 rear sight
•painted or otherwise illuminated front sight
• 30 round x3, 20 round x3, 5 round x1 magazines
•Hollowpoints, tracers, plinkers
•Cheekpad for adjusting cheek weld, the scope will be kind of high
•Rubber buttpad to absorb recoil. Although minor already, it'll still be nice.
•Barrel strut. http://accu-strut.com/ SEVERELY tightens groupings.
>>
File: mini 14.jpg (83 KB, 1406x791) Image search: [Google]
mini 14.jpg
83 KB, 1406x791
>>30256456
Forgot a picture of what it may look like. It's mine with most of those things and a flash hider.
>>
>>30256509
dont you need a cheek riser for a scope that height?
>>
>>30256456
Oh wow, excellent suggestions - thanks! I think I'll just get him warmed up on this and then get him a AR15/AK/.308 and then goad him into spending his own money on accessories.

Any specific suggestions on the scope? I have a connection so I can get something nice at a big discount. Don't want to deviate too much from the fudd theme on the gun, it literally will be used at a ranch. But all of your suggestions are very sensible.

Thanks for tips!
>>
>>30256509
That is one sexy rifle. I might have to do something like that with my mini now.
>>
>>30256509
very smart. How accurate is it with the barrel strut?
>>
are we still hating Ruger, for what Bill Ruger did?
>>
>>30255706

A sling, extra magazines.
>>
>>30256551
to clarify, dad isn't noguns, but I don't think he's ever had a semiauto in .223.
>>
>>30256547
Yeah, I used a big pad for it. Removed it because I intended to only shoot with irons, but put on the scope for the shot.

>>30256551
Sure thing, sounds lie a good plan. Regarding scope, anything with an adjustable magnification level and large aperture is fine. If he's like me, he'll prefer good irons, a combat zero, and the reduced weight of no scope for shooting for fun but will appreciate the utility of a scope. The good part about the Mini-14's scope mount is that it's got several screws the adjust the position of the rail, so once you have it all set up and loctited down, it'll maintain zero pretty well, so he can use it to make coyotes and birds fuck off.

>>30256554
Thank you, it's very nice, lemme tell ya. I ended up buying a tritium sight, but preferred the paintjob i did myself. Painted a white square, bordered it with black sharpie, then used clear nail polish to protect the paint. I also used it as a close range type zero of point of aim being the center of the white square. Obscures the target a little, but it's very fast.

>>30256567
The groupings, especially when hot, are literally half the size. My model is older, though, so the barrel is thinner, but the problem is still present in later ones to a degree. Basically, it will NOTICEABLY improve the size, but it's a fucking game changer on old ones.

>>30256575
...What did he do?

>>30256605
He'll like the Mini-14. A lot of stuff on it is very familiar, and it's seen a loooooot of use. You made a good decision.
>>
>>30256653
Sorry for typos. I'm drinking a bit.
>>
>>30256653
Bill Ruger lobbied for gun control. So he could sell compliance guns like the Mini14. While all the other gun companies lost sales.
>>
>>30256679
Fffffuuuuuck. That's a deal breaker for me. I'm going to practice good ol' "trust but verify," but thanks for the heads up on that.
>>
>>30256688
Bill is long dead. So it doesn't have to be a deal breaker. Just curse his name when buying Ruger products.
>>
>>30256679
I'm >>30256688

It totally checked out. That's insane. Fuck that guy, I'm never buying another thing from them, not even a fucking screw.

Thanks again for the tip.
>>
A paperclip.
>>
>>30256710
http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/guns-ruger-gun-control/2015/04/29/id/641466/

Looking more into it, I take my initial outrage back. I disagree with the line of thought that a low magazine capacity will make a difference, but his heart seems to be in the right place.

Also the reason M14 rear sights are good for a Mini 14 is that it'll be adjustable by the bigass dials rather than a weird sundial-like thing requiring a tool to adjust. Personal preference as the latter may lock more securely but be a pain in the fucking ass to adjust.
>>
>>30256752
Who even sells m14 sights for minis?
>>
>>30257661
They're more common than you may think.
>>
>>30257728
How about a brand or link to a store that makes them?

Do they even fit newer receiver?
>>
>>30257751
http://www.thecountryshed.com/mini-14_m14_accessories.htm

I don't remember where I got mine but one of these looks exactly like it.

There's different ones. There definitely is one to fit your receiver though.
>>
>>30257751
Just remembered I got mine from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7COZJM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
Man I want a mini-14 so bad. But I also don't want to blow 800 dollars on one.

Cheap 223 semi auto that isn't an ar15 when?
>>
>>30257884
They're not the best desu. I just really like mine because it's an heirloom from my grandpa.
>>
>>30257908
If you had an ar15 and wanted another plinker to shoot 223 what would you buy?
>>
>What is /k/ getting their fathers?
going to the range & quietly saying "thanks."

dad was the first one to take me shooting.
dad passed away last year.
>>
>>30257908
Oh man. Word filters are still around? That's really surprising.

>>30257927
You could go for a weird gun like this: https://www.slickguns.com/product/zastava-m85-223-bolt-action-mini-mauser-left-hand-rifle-cai-yugo-import-new-32995
>>
>>30255706
a bad ass aftermarket stock, with a red dot or scope depending on pou
>>
File: tubes 2 002.jpg (99 KB, 368x750) Image search: [Google]
tubes 2 002.jpg
99 KB, 368x750
>>30255706
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/241631/wilson-combat-shok-buff-recoil-buffer-1911-government-polyurethane-pack-of-6
takes out most of the rattly noise

also for a super low profile scope setup consider #3 ruger scope mounts and a 32mm objective scope.
you'll have to screw the rear aperture all the way in and file about a millimeter off that bump on the plastic handguard, but it makes gettign a cheek weld while looking through the scope just as intuitive and comfortable as using the iron sights.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.