[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come no professional standing army ever used poisoned weapons?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: Waorani-Blowgun.jpg (83 KB, 453x640) Image search: [Google]
Waorani-Blowgun.jpg
83 KB, 453x640
How come no professional standing army ever used poisoned weapons? I mean even in antiquity.
>>
The Chinese did pretty often.
>>
>>30254129
poison doesn't usually work on people who are bleeding out from gunshot wounds.
>>
they did

bye
>>
Does the NVA using feces-covered spike traps count?
>>
You're forgetting about literally every poisoned and neurotoxic gas that was used during the world wars.
>>
The economics of cultivating enough poison to equip an archer force with for a long war.

Also poison being dishonorable in the West.
>>
because poison isn't like in the movies where you have just enough time to be told that you've been poisoned before you keel over dead. Why kill a dude over the course of days, weeks, or months, when you can just kill him and move on to kill the next guy?
>>
>>30254129
they did.

Also, by dipping arrowheads in shit, they managed the same effect. It was a pretty great tactic during sieges.
>>
File: 1304522174924.jpg (405 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1304522174924.jpg
405 KB, 1920x1200
>>30254129

Germany ww1: chlorine gas, mustard gas

USA ww1: White Star
>>
>>30254129
Poisons largely kill over a matter of days or weeks. The stuff that kills near instantly was extremely expensive and rare and difficult to manufacture.

That kind of strong poison was saved for important assassinations, and in a standing battle poison of a more diluted nature would be quite irrelevant in your victory or defeat that day. It could play a difference over a long period of time, which is why poison and biological warfare was used extensively in sieges.
>>
>>30254292
>months
Just what kinda twinkle toed posin we talkin here
>>
File: h8sahzu.jpg (2 MB, 2277x2908) Image search: [Google]
h8sahzu.jpg
2 MB, 2277x2908
>>30254526
>The stuff that kills near instantly was extremely expensive and rare and difficult to manufacture.

It's also easy to fuck your own shit up by accident
>>
Biological warfare is a "warcrime" now and poison fits into the category
>>
>>30254554
polonium is one choice, though that one russian guy only lasted 3 weeks
>>
>>30254129
How come you are such a clueless idiot. Do a little research...

They used poison, germs, chemical weapons. Basically they used anything they could think of to kill an enemy,
>>
>>30254199
>nerve gas
>world wars
When will this meme die?
>>
>>30254129
>Agent Orange
>>
>>30254129
If it doesn't kill quickly, then it really wouldn't matter in any given battle.

If it does kill quickly, then the odds of you fucking your own shit up are high enough to make it too much of a bother.
>>
File: God bless America.png (112 KB, 597x657) Image search: [Google]
God bless America.png
112 KB, 597x657
>>30255699
>>
>>30254129
The use of sulfur dioxide was common a couple thousand years ago
>>
>>30254129
They did
>>
>>30254184
Depends on if you count them as a professional standing army. I don't think they can be called that personally but I could be wrong.
>>
>>30256836
Remember who won
>>
Skythians dipped their arrows in horse shit before firing them. They knew it could cause an infection.

Herodotus talks about it
>>
More common than you'd think.

http://www.livescience.com/13113-ancient-chemical-warfare-romans-persians.html
>>
>>30255183
What is Sarin gas?
>>
>>30257054
Probably the most insidious, quick-acting poison seen yet. Due to multiple sites of damage, victims cannot be treated in the short time they live after exposure. Symptoms include rupturing capillaries, massive shedding of the lower GI track, autonomic nervous system collapse and sloughing off of respiratory system.
>>
>>30257347
Thanks for the info! although i was phrasing it as a Jeopardy answer
>>
>>30257347
>Symptoms include rupturing capillaries, massive shedding of the lower GI track, autonomic nervous system collapse and sloughing off of respiratory system.
Well, that could ruin your whole week...
>>
File: phosgene.attack.jpg (65 KB, 660x398) Image search: [Google]
phosgene.attack.jpg
65 KB, 660x398
>>30254129
Poison is one of the best weapons OP.
>>
>>30256767
>kits just a herbicide anon

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/index.asp
>>
>Herbicide only hurt plants
>They cant sell it if it hurts humans
>>
File: make america great again.jpg (472 KB, 1160x918) Image search: [Google]
make america great again.jpg
472 KB, 1160x918
>>30254129
>implying
>>
It's just another layer of logistics that may or may not be effective. Think about it, you need to outfit 1000 archers with poisoned arrows, where the fuck are you going to get that much poison quickly?
>>
>>30260257
>where the fuck are you going to get that much poison quickly?
C'mon...

I propose OTM with open pore metallic foam core. We fill the open pore metal foam with the material.
>>
>I mean even in antiquity.

The old Greeks were so fond of poisoned arrows that the word toxin comes from their word for bow, toxos.
>>
Brexit used to catapult dead cows and bubonic ridden bodies over fortified walls
>>
>>30254129
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_warfare#Use_in_post-WWII_conflicts

> I mean even in antiquity.

Poisoned arrows were common in Greek and Chinese warfare.
>>
>>30259063
My maternal grandfather died before I was born of several aggressive cancers from agent orange.
>>
>>30260430
I remember reading bubonic coprses were the first known effective use of biological weapons. I bet the bloated corpses splattered when they hit those stone walls.
>>
>>30257054
>What is Sarin gas?
Thing that was invented in 1938 and not used in WWII.
>>
>>30260761
Oh word? I remember reading that too. I remember reading that too.
>>
>>30260761
The rat flea is the vector for the plague. You can't get the bubonic plague by getting stuff splashed on you any more than you can get AIDS.
>>
>>30256934
Nobody really. It's like wanting your neighbor to move out

So you go over there and beat the shit out of him over and over
>fuck you jim, you were always a piece of shit

And he can't do anything about it because he's a manlet, but at the end of the day when you go home, he still lives there
>>
>>30255183
What is zyklon B
Also, albeit not a nerve gas, but chlorine gas
>>
>>30260730
Shouldn't have made us send young American boys to do what young Vietnamese boys should have done for themselves....fucking gook
>>
>>30260730
>falling for the agent orange meme
>>
>>30262537
I'm pretty sure fleas would stay on a corpse for a while.
>>
>>30254129
>Poisoned bamboo hidden in the ground
>Gas
>>
File: sandblasted.jpg (74 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
sandblasted.jpg
74 KB, 600x800
>>30262595
muh hoobahoox
>>
>>30263534
And then you want to talk about pork been dirty
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.