[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ammunition Factory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: 98663.jpg (100 KB, 600x397) Image search: [Google]
98663.jpg
100 KB, 600x397
With all the panic buying going on and off for a few years.

Why doesn't anyone on /K/ open up an Ammunition Factory?

I'm a britfag so I'm not to clued up on it but surely its something doable and just needs some money behind it and some licenses?

I mean you would make some great money.
>>
>>30250870
Bumping for curious intrest, /k/ making a munitions and possibly eventually a weapons manufacturer.
>>
>>30250870
ATF won't approve any new ammunition facilities.
>>
>>30250906

Why not?
>>
>>30250870
implying the generally low iq populace of k and procure such an achievement.

good idea, bad execution. you really want paul blart to tell you what gun and attachments you need?
>>
>>30250920
Because it's run by closeted fascists
>>
>>30250870
A lot of money for the machinery, property, licensing, insurance and labor. If you manage to get a group of investors together and make it happen you still have to compete with the known brands.
>>
>>30251032
This
It would take many millions to open up a large factory. No bank is going to loan that to a bunch of autists with zero manufacturing and business experience.
>>
>>30250906
Wait what the fuck? Is this true?
>>
>>30251088

What about small time?

I don't mean make millions of rounds a year
>>
>>30250870
most countries around the globe now have such strict environmental laws that opening a new ammo factory is a bureaucratic nightmare
IF you don't run into leftist politics that will ruin your plans right at the start

and even if you get it approved, nobody makes an ammoplant for order
build time for all the tools and machines is around 7 months
at least in the Czech Republic for the new Sellier & Bellot plant

then there is the problem of powder storage and delivery
you need tons of powder each day for a full time production
you can't just poor it on the ground and make a big pile of powder like with sand or gravel

and so on
>>
>>30251222
Then you wont be able to get your manufacturing costs low enough to sell your ammo at a competitive price.
>>
>>30251222
Millions of rounds per year? You do realize that some bumfuck in his garage with a half decent press setup can knock out 500-1000 rounds per hour. You'd need to be doing crazy amounts to approach breaking even for the tooling/equipment, and labor.
>>
Any reloaders here?

How many rounds of, say, 9mm, .45 or 5.56 can you churn out in a day in your typical garden shed workshop?
Enough to make a living?

Probably not, or else more people would do it.

Plus, what's the law on warranty and other legal stuff for ammo manufacturers?
>>
>>30250870
>Why doesn't anyone on /K/ open up an Ammunition Factory?

Because that's incredibly expensive
>>
>>30251032
>If you manage to get a group of investors together and make it happen you still have to compete with the known brands.
this. the 'big boys' would just lower their prices to a hair below your absolute minimum price for a few years, until you flop and go under. Then buy all your equipment and materials for pennies on the dollar and add it to their machine.
>>
>>30251463
>Plus, what's the law on warranty and other legal stuff for ammo manufacturers?
you have to have a type of FFL to manuf ammunition for profit/business
>>
>>30251463
On my 650xl with a bullet feeder I can do around 1000-1200 an hour. Look up the mark 7 auto loader it claims something like 2200 rph on a 1050. running two of those you could make a ton but you would need the ffl for being a ammo manufacturer and a couple million dollar insurance policy at least.
>>
>>30251556
>>30251572

Yeah, figures, imagine someone blows his face off with a double load.
>>
>>30251032
I think you guys are overestimating the costs associated with ammo production. While I am not an American, I can give you an example from Bosnia. The largest ammo producer, Igman, is valued at $10mill, has an income of $35mil and employees 1100 people. Few years ago the company was valued at around $4-$5mil. Relatively speaking it setting up an ammo factory shouldn't be a larger investment that any other industrial production facility. I know that Igman sells most of its ammo in US through some US company.
>>
>>30250870

Lead poisoning.
>>
>>30250870
if i had the money i would attempt to start an ammunition factory for obsolete cartridges. except for the occasional prvi lot, theres practically no competition and you wouldnt have to worry about what >>30251542 said
>>
>>30251816
>obsolete cartridges
that would be nice but they're obsolete for a reason, would the market even be big enough?
>>
>>30251829
thre are still a ton of mosins/lees/arisakas/other assorted milsurps in the states. keep in mind that these cartridges are much more expensive than .308 despite using practically the same components. i think that if you could get the tooling you could make a killing.
>>
>>30250870
>why doesn't /k/
There's your answer.
>>
>>30251032
and lord help you if you let a few bad batches slip by that causes kabooms.
>>
>>30251463
currently only have a single stage press but i can make about 600-800 rounds in about 8hours on an off day all depends on the day.

>.223 - 600 rounds in 8 hours
>9mm - 400 rounds in 6 hours

the key to maximizing my loading is to spend 2-3 hours a day during the week decapping and resizing, tumbling and prepping my bench for the weekend.

i have everything down to a science now the key to saving $ when reloading is to pick up every single piece of brass you can find and to buy in bulk.
>>
>>30252418
Are you sure it not cause you have an auto powder dispenser. If not I dont see how you cant measure out the precise amounts down to the grain of powder.
>>
>>30250870
It would be very hard to be as cheap as Tula/Bear/Wolf, and probably just as hard to compete with higher end ammo.
>>
>>30252451

well an auto dispenser does help but remember im a single stage press not a progressive turret i know i could definitely do anything from 600-1200 with a better press.

my friend who showed me how to reload can do 1500 rounds of .223 in 8hours on his RCBS turret press but then again he has ben reloading for about 10 years now
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.