[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bolt action/Semi automatic accuracy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: 5fm1hk.jpg (203 KB, 1022x509) Image search: [Google]
5fm1hk.jpg
203 KB, 1022x509
Is there truth in the "bolt action rifles are more accurate because they have less moving parts" meme?
>>
File: mfw (2).gif (393 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
mfw (2).gif
393 KB, 500x375
>>30236421
Some, it was mostly with older rifles tho, modern rifles, If you spend enough, are about as precise as Bolt guns.

Accuracy is on the shooter tho.
>>
>>30236447
Pretty much.
But still snipers use bolt action rifles cause for the long range engagements they need that extra accuracy that they get from the non moving parts also a semi sniper will use the gases to extract and chamber a new round that is also a factor that makes the rifle more inaccurate, semi auto rifles are not situable for long (very long) range.
>>
>>30236421
thats part of the reason, yes.
>>
>>30236421
Tolerances are much tighter on bolt actions
>>
What rifle is that OP?
>>
>>30236485
Stop using that word.

You don't know what it means.

>>30236421
It's more a matter of cost. It's cheaper to make a sub MOA bolt action than it is a sub MOA semi.
>>
>>30236421
>Is there truth in the "bolt action rifles are more accurate because they have less moving parts" meme?

It depends upon the action but generally yes. Accuracy is a product of repeatability and semi-auto has a greater likelihood to negatively effects accuracy mostly because it has more moving parts, but I'll elaborate on that so it makes more sense.

First of all, semi-auto exists as a means to cycle the firearm more quickly. Obviously. For this operation to be worthwhile, it has to happen in a reliable fashion. What good is a self-loading rifle if it's so unreliable that you might as well be using a bolt action? So, this reliability is most often achieved by using looser fitting working parts, especially in the gas system.

Each time the gun fires, the barrel is going to flex and torque in reaction to the bullet being forced down the rifling. This is fine as long as each time the gun fires the barrel it flexes and vibrates in the same way.

However, since we now have a gas system, we are adding in major reciprocating parts that have influence upon this vibration. In designs where parts are loosely fit, the gas system might be coming to rest in a very slightly different position each time, dampening or amplifying the vibration and consequently decreasing accuracy. This is part of the reason why direct impingement is inherently a little better for accuracy.

There are other factors that make some semi-autos less accurate, like the use of tilting bolt designs, but it isn't really fair to compare these to bolt actions using rotating bolt.
>>
>>30236519
Tolerances? As in machining tolerances. I guess I'll pack it up because my years of experience on CNC machines, lathes, and mills mean nothing.
>>
>>30236421
Recoil impulse for follow through is a big thing as well.
>>
>>30236537
Pressing the green button doesn't make you a machinist.

The dimensional tolerance range for the various components that make up a rifle will be nearly the same for any related parts, regardless of whether it's a bolt action or a gas-operated gun. What differs - if anything - will be the class of fit.
>>
>>30236421
High jacking thread.

Bedding compounds, which is best , which is easiest to do at home?
>>
>>30236421
The primary advantage being that a true free-floated barrel is easily and cheaply achievable, and all the gas is being evenly directed to pushing the bullet down the barrel.

The rest is all bullshit. Match barrels and tightly-fitting components can be had with any gun; it's just a matter of cost.
>>
>>30236421
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading something about in semi autos like the m82a1 that round has long left the chamber by the time any parts have started moving.
>>
File: 1459634234770.jpg (971 KB, 3189x2126) Image search: [Google]
1459634234770.jpg
971 KB, 3189x2126
>>30236421
>"bolt action rifles are more accurate because they have less moving parts"

Yes.
123g SKS is about the same or more recoil than 147g 91/30, but that is because nobody makes tilting block longstroke pistons anymore.
Basically instead of one knock, you will feel two knocks. The recoil force heavily affects accuracy from the barrel while the bullet is still inside. Likewise the recoil begins the moment the primer is punctured, not when the bullet is out of the barrel.
>>
>>30236627
More to do with how the barrel vibrates once those parts do start moving. POI may shift after the first few shots.
>>
>>30236627
Newton's 1st Law son.

If the M2HB don't do the same thing, than nether the M82.
>>
Semi auto sniper rifles are a thing for one reason. The need for rapid second shot. If you never needed a quick second shot a bolt action would your go to every time. A semi will let you stay on scope and shoot again much faster.
>>
>>30236654
>primer is punctured,
>>
>>30236654
only american is wearing ear pro? staged photo or do kurds all have tinnitus
>>
File: 1463833221981.jpg (10 KB, 228x210) Image search: [Google]
1463833221981.jpg
10 KB, 228x210
>>30236890
>american
Jesus christ, anon
>>
>>30236701
So why bolt action are still used?
>>
>>30236890
That is Kraut.
>>
>>30236943
Better cost to performance ratio.

So, cheaper.
>>
>>30236654
>Germany helping kurds

Am I retarded here or are they essentially fighting a proxy war with turkey
>>
>>30236959
That's why having Turkey in NATO is a juge joke.
>>
I believe bolt actions are fractionally more accurate as there is no gas system causing vibrations, and after the firing pin hits the primer no parts move automatically, so this won't affect your stability.
Semi-autos allow much faster follow up shots, any I'd suggest are more suitable as DMRs and sub-1000m shooting than bolt actions
If someone proves me wrong, great, i much prefer semi auto rifles to bolt actions
>>
>>30236560
Don't be a retard, a custom bolt rifle will have tighter tolerances and clearances.>>30236946
Being cheaper is not the only benifit of a bolt rifle, suck as inherently more mechanically accurate.
>>
>>30236943
In a one shot, one target situation, IMHO a sniper will use a bolt sniper rifle 100% of the time. If the situation might require a rapid, accurate second shot he's going for the semi. The situation dictates 1) the rifle and 2) the cartridge.
>>
>>30237173
I love the Bob Lee Swagger books. In one, he was to shoot a political target giving a speech. He opted IIRC for a M14 sniper rifle because the first shot had to break the glass shield and the second had to follow up right away to kill the target. His go to was always the bolt rifle first.
>>
>>30236516
I think its a marine m40

same thing as the m40a1 except the stocks fiberglass

cant tell if OP's pick is clip slotted though so it might be a look alike
>>
>>30236989
>bolt-actions have no gas system
>>
>>30237173
>IMHO a sniper will use a bolt sniper rifle 100% of the time
Which is why Barrett .50 cals all come in bolt-action?
>>
>>30237333
Thanks anon :^)
>>
>>30237109
Do the machining fairies stop you if you try to make a semi-auto one with similar tolerances?
>>
File: Feels-Good-Man-Frog-08.jpg (191 KB, 1280x892) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Good-Man-Frog-08.jpg
191 KB, 1280x892
>>30236989
>Gas system messes up accuracy

That is a vintage meme right there. 1930's at least. Wow. Rarely do we see a specimen so well preserved.

Tell me, do you have the one about soldiers wasting ammo if they don't have a magazine cutoff?
>>
>>30237486
>all snipers use .50
>not .338 lapmag or some modified 7.62 NATO round

.50 is great for follow-up shots and has some decent ballistics, but .338 lapmag is better for long range shots and is more widely used.
>>
>>30236421
The difference is more about the ammunition than it is the rifle.

Semi-autos rely on the force of a spring to return the bolt to battery. Some portion of the chamber pressure is directed to overcoming that spring's pressure so the bolt can cycle, so for this reason the spring can exert only so much force.

A bolt action can take advantage of much more force to get the bolt into battery. The shooter's strength, the bolt handle as a lever, the locking lugs wedging into the barrel recesses, etc. This allows for a much tighter cartridge-to-chamber fit and the ability to seat the bullet into the lands, without comprimising reliability.

If you go to a top level benchrest match all of the shooters will be using brass resized to a slight crush fit for headspace and bullets seated at or into the lands. They'll hand load single rounds and they'll close the bolt in as exactly the same way with the same force every time they cycle it.

Semis can't do this and they need looser cartridge-to-chamber fits and bullets back off the lands in order to function reliably.
>>
>>30236537
lol, real machinist here. Your point is retarded because you can always just make an automatic to the same tolerances.

>>30237109
>a custom bolt rifle will have tighter tolerances
>moving the goalposts this hard
>implying a custom automatic can't have the same precision
>>
File: CIMG0403.jpg (3 MB, 2032x1520) Image search: [Google]
CIMG0403.jpg
3 MB, 2032x1520
It was true up until about the 1980's or so. Not so much now. These days the biggest limitation on accuracy comes from the ammo. Especially when you're dealing with place like A-stan. Which is why everybody is stepping up to .300WM, .338LM and .50BMG. So they can reach out to 2000+ meters.
>>
>>30237782
I thought 50BMG was strictly anti-materiel in most cases.
>>
>>30237788
That's mostly due to the M82 having fucking awful accuracy. It's something like a 3-4 MOA rifle.
>>
File: SR-25 Optics.png (3 MB, 1420x1064) Image search: [Google]
SR-25 Optics.png
3 MB, 1420x1064
>>30237782
Dem KACs
>>
>>30237800
Yeah I heard it in the context towards the m82. I kind of want one but I realize it's extremely unpractical and costs a fuckton.
>>
>>30236421
Yes and no.

They are more accurate because there barrels can be properly free floated. Attaching a gas system with on a barrel is going to cause issues in extreme accuracy.

Its not so much the fact there are more moving parts but that those parts interfere with the barrel.

If you look at the extreme end of accuracy you come to the bench rest return to battery bolt action guns. With barrels an inch thick or more.

The reality is you will never get a semi auto more accurate then one of these guns.

Not that it matters because at no point in any sort of pratical application does it matter being able to make consitent sub .2 moa groups at 200 yards.
>>
File: CIMG0408a.png (332 KB, 592x402) Image search: [Google]
CIMG0408a.png
332 KB, 592x402
>>30237788

That's what they tell the media, just like how white Phosphorous is only used to mark targets.
>>
>>30237898
Well it does mark them. It just also rather expediently removes them.
>>
>>30236421
in general yes. none of energy is used for rechembering.
>>
>>30237898
Don't get me wrong, I think anti-materiel weapons are an important piece of our 2nd amendment rights. As gov't tech evolves, so should civilian tech. Not sure if that's what you're getting at though.
>>
A good bolt action will almost always be more accurate than a good semi.

Less vibration and more consistent vibration throughout the gun
>>
>>30237730
>Your point is retarded because you can always just make an automatic to the same tolerances.

It's not tolerances, it's dimensions. Headspacing mostly.

Either system can be +/- one one-hundred thousanth if you want, but the dimensional clearance called headspacing has to be larger for an automatic to cycle reliably.
>>
>>30236421
Well when you fire a bolt gun, everything is locked down. it is nothing more than a bullet going down a barrel as opposed to a semi auto which has a gas system to operate as well. So with all things being equal, a bolt gun will be more accurate.

But that increase in accuracy might be insignificant and the increase in firepower from being a semi auto outweighs any slight accuracy gains most of the time
>>
File: 33513394.jpg (1 MB, 3543x2362) Image search: [Google]
33513394.jpg
1 MB, 3543x2362
>>30236890
>american
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.