[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been wanting an Izzy AKM for a while and I found an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (446 KB, 1024x641) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
446 KB, 1024x641
I've been wanting an Izzy AKM for a while and I found an affordable parts kit.

Only problem is, it doesn't come with rivets or a barrel. How difficult would it be to find a Russian barrel for it?

Also I'm not sure what it means to not come with rivets. Sorry if I sound like a fudd, I haven't any experience with kits.
>>
You're going to need to rivet the trigger guard and trunnions into/onto your receiver. You're also going to need to press your barrel into your front trunnion, drill and ream the barrel for the barrel pin, and populate the barrel with the RSB, GB, and FSB, then drill and pin those.

Building AKs is great fun, but if you don't know what you're doing you're just about guaranteed to fuck up.
>>
>>30230375
This isn't something you can just do. You're going to need tools and a bit of know how.
Most basic tools will be a hydraulic press 12tons or more. Drill press. Riveting tools. A good 3-400 dollars worth of tooling.

Check YouTube for build videos to get a sense of what all goes into it.
>>
>>30231022
You'll also need a receiver. So based on what you said, you'll need
>receiver
>barrel
>rivet set
Around 250 for all of these depending what you get.
>>
>>30231049
I'm guessing I should go for a Romanian barrel, considering they seem to be infinantly easier to find, judging from google results
>>
>>30231076
Or a US made barrel.

Check YouTube before you decide man. It's not like just slapping an AR together.

Check ak-builder.com and tothtools to do some shopping and pricing.
>>
>>30231076
Make sure it's the correct size for your front trunnion. There's 22 and 23 mm journal sizes, maybe others, and I have no idea what countries used which. Like >>30231128 said, do some digging before you start buying stuff.
>>
>>30231154
Speaking of sizes, get a pair of calipers
>>
File: ofwhy.jpg (53 KB, 510x370) Image search: [Google]
ofwhy.jpg
53 KB, 510x370
>>30231128
>Or a US made barrel.
>an an original Izhmash kit
>>
>>30231233
Aren't Russian barrels really expensive? I mean if money doesn't matter then sure go for it.
>>
>>30231252
Money isn't really an issue, finding one is
>>
>>30231252
it's more about US AK barrels being garbage to the combloc produced barrels.
>>
>>30231274
i suppose. Cold hammer forged and all that. My point was a Romanian barrel isn't his only option.
>>
>>30230375 I'd recommend buying a Romy or Polish kit that's a lot less desirable to be your first builder. You can source a Childer's or Nodak receiver via an FFL so you can see what a correct receiver looks like, and also sell it simply and legally once you're done building it - yes you could sell a build from a flat or 80% but it's a grey area some of us won't fuck with.

That way you can build your Izzy kit to a better standard, having practiced and made all the inevitable AK kit build mistakes on something else.

>>30231274
Modern Nitrided AK barrels from Green mountain are not bad at all for most builds. Though for an original Izzy kit sans barrel (likely from Rguns, I imagine?) I'd recommend a Romy or maybe a Polish barrel, both of those are easier to find.
>>
>>30231335
I agree with this. Even an AK63d Kit. They are like 250 right now, and supposedly they are great kits, they just aren't matching. I plan to pick one up but that's only because I have a hardon for Hungarian shit for some reason.

Also, don't buy one of the barrels with the component notches already notched. I made this mistake. It wasn't a big deal to just fill them with weld, but an added step you can avoid
>>
>>30231128

If you're going to put a US made barrel in your Russian kit build, just save your money and let the parts go to someone who isn't going to fuck it up.
>>
>>30231593
>telling someone else how to spend their money
>being this assmad
Go buy your own kit and build it your way, stop worrying about other people.
Also, read the thread, I agreed polish or other is better. I was just telling him there's options.
>>
Green Mountain and Montana Rifleman barrels are just as good as any com bloc metal in my opinion, except when it comes to resale value.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.