[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
4.5 to .22
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 1200x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 1200x450
1/2
Here in Mexico we have these
Mendoza fabricates this kind of ammo for next pic related that are salvos and the slug separately, which is very stupid, but they count as airgun ammo and it's cheap

The salvo is a .22
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 320x240
>>30205878
For this "airgun" which holds one in the chamber and is manual cocking and everything
So it works as a revolver, the hammer hits the salvo and the slug comes out

But the ammo is stupid

There are certain regulations that force the barrel to break at certain pressure, but is there any way in which a recalibration to .22 could happen..?

Thanks in advance
>>
I strongly suspect that you would be significantly better off with a pipe and nail.
>>
>>30205878
turning a 4.5/.177 caliber into a 22lr would be incredibly labor intensive to the point where its cheaper to start from scratch.
converting a 22 cal airgun to fire real ammo and use the airgun barrel can be done. though the difficulty depends on the gun. how easy it comes apart and its materials
>>
>>30205917
.-.
>>
>>30205926
I have no experience on gunsmithing whatsoever, I'm very certain that I wouldnt be able to do this on my own, but what changes would it require?
>>
>>30205884
>For this "airgun" which holds one in the chamber and is manual cocking and everything
>So it works as a revolver,

That's not a revolver at all
>>
>>30205952
for a 22 conversion essentially you pull the barrel and ream it out so it can chamber a 22lr
depending on how it works you add a offset firing pin to it or make a new bolt
obviously you want the gun to be metal and the barrel to be a certain thickness

at this point youve got a single shot rifle
>>
>>30206010
So it works like a pistol because the hammer hits the salvo which does its job and propels the slug

Sorry?
>>
>>30206015
Yeah, I think it'd be better for .22s since it's a smaller bullet and I believe it would cause less trouble, would it?
Sorry for my ignorance

And those barrels are forged or bought?
>>
>>30206019
It works like a break action
Which it is

And that barrel is not designed to handle 22lr pressures
>>
>>30206034
Yes, it is break action

So I'd have to change the barrel so it can handle .22s?
>>
>>30206049
and the entire receiver and locking mechanism
>>
>>30206066
And how would I do that?

I dont think there are many (or at all) gunsmiths in my area
>>
>>30206034
its not a break action its more like a falling block
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8FgPgMAQmE
doesnt looks like a really sturdy lock though

you dont need much to contain 22lrpresure
thin ass brakeline will contain it
the real issue would be drilling 4.5 out to 6mm having it come out straight the result would be a smoothbore which is kinda pointless.

the locking mechanism looks really weak and flimsy i wouldnt trust it even if it was just 22lr

you could use it as a base and reverse engineer it maybe salvage the hammer assembly but that gun doersnt look like a good choice for a conversion
>>
>>30206096
>And how would I do that?
>I dont think there are many (or at all) gunsmiths in my area

Then you don't
>>
>>30206104
>you dont need much to contain 22lrpresure
>thin ass brakeline will contain it

Yes because that's not rifled nor is it a tight fit around the bullet so most of the gas is expelled around it

If you have a rifled, fitted barrel, pressures skyrocket
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 330x186) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 330x186
>>30206141
Barrel
>>
>>30206141
>If you have a rifled, fitted barrel, pressures skyrocket
true which is why i said the locking mechanism doesnt look like it could contain it
the problem isnt splitting the barrel its having bullet not fly backwards out of it
>>
>>30206151
actually i take that back that looks like a thin ass sleeve inserted into plastic
that will probably split
>>
>>30206151

Definitely could handle .22lr, and .22 short.

What's the chamber like?
>>
>>30206163
You're right, I've been doing some digging and a guy in Mexico recalibrated a few of them to .22lr and .22s

He said he changed the barrel because the original one had some holes that made firing .22 very dangerous, he also said that the locking mechanism was very weak and had to be readjusted very frequently and readjusted the percutors on the hammer so that it could detonate correctly
>>
>>30206188
dude thats 4.5
if he drilled it out the liner would be like 1mm thick
>>
>>30206151
You should drill out the barrel of it, then replace it with a thicker one from a hardware store

also the hammer is centerfire, while 22lr is rimfire, so this could cause problems,

also the back part, that you put up before you fire the gun, may be made from something too weak to fire 22lr

this could cause it to shoot back in your face if the pressure goes wrong

So turning this thing into a gun would require a few steps, but it is a pretty good start with the hammer mechanism
>>
>>30206174
Uh, it's metal and Mendoza has deals w/ Walther, Walther has done barrels for the Puma .22 rifle, and in a site they were thinking wether Walther also did these barrels
>>
>>30206207
How would I replace the barrel..?

.22 fires like that? How can I detonate than then?
>>
>>30206228
Well can you get 22 ammo, because if you can, and want to shoot it, this would be the way to do it

if you want a more powerful gun than this, you could get an air rifle that could kill a large animal

If you want to make a zip gun that shoot live ammo, this would still only be a single shot, you could probably easily rig this to fire 22
>>
>>30206228
to replace the barrel you would have to sort of wing it, i dont know how smart you are, or how well you can do things for yourself, but you should visit a hardware store and see what you can find that is thick enough to bear 22 loads, then you would have to examine the retaining mechanism of that thing, it looks sketchy

the whole gun would be janky as fuck, and would probably only work to shoot once and reloading it might take a while
>>
>>30206209
being "metal" means nothing when you are jerry rigging shit you err on the side of caution and over built rather then assuming hey this will work
>>
>>30206254
Yeah, I'm okay with this being single shot

>>30206278
Wing the barrel? Sorry, english isnt my first language obviously
>>
File: Reconsider.gif (2 MB, 360x213) Image search: [Google]
Reconsider.gif
2 MB, 360x213
>it's a "Mexican man tries to build a zip gun to fight off cartels with advice from /k/" thread
>>
>>30206254
And it will be hard to get .22 ammo here since I cant register my gun because it would practically be illegal, and to buy ammo I'd need the register of the gun of which I'm buying ammo for

>>30206317
Not to fight off cartels, hunt small game
>>
>>30206332
You want to hunt small game with a juryrigged zip gun, which is not only dangerous, but illegal.

You might as well just throw a fucking rock at the animals.
>>
>>30206332
Ok man, to hunt small game it will be much better for you to get a 22 air rifle

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Remington_Nitro_Piston_Short_Stroke_Digital_Camo/2056

this is what I have, and i think it could kill a cat or a coyote

there are also better air rilfles out there, that wont put a piece of shrapnel in your eye
>>
>>30206345
It's not like that, and the recalibration if done by a gunsmith, which I'm sure I'll find, would be safe
>>
honestly it will probably be easier to build from scratch than to covert that gun
it really doesnt look like its worth converting
google jaco derringer
>>
>>30206314
what are you planning on hunting

Can you even buy ammo?

Just use an air rifle
>>
>>30206355
No, it makes zero sense.

For the cost and time involved in having a gunsmith recalibrate some slipshod ghetto zip gun, which is still illegal to be using/owning, you might as well just buy an actual gun and use that.
>>
>>30206355
NOOOO Stop

If you bring that to a gunsmith and ask him to make it shoot 22 he is going to laugh at you and tell you to fuck off

seriously just get a 177 or 22 air rifle, the longer barrel will make it probably as powerful as that dumb pistol blowing gas everywhere
>>
>>30206378
>And some of them I assume are good people
>>
>>30205878
Just buy an illegal gun and get it registered dumbass.
Its cheap.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.