[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3D printed guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 24
File: lead_960.jpg (93 KB, 960x642) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg
93 KB, 960x642
Hi /k/,
I recently got into this topic of 3D printed guns and i want to know your opinion, not just about if they are efficient, but if its okay for people to have the oportunity to just download and print a gun. I found out this FP 45 Liberator gun (which is by my opinion already pretty interesting) and than its 'sibling' 3D printed gun called liberator. The first liberator was originally intended as an insurgency weapon to be mass dropped behind enemy lines to resistance fighters in occupied territory. The pistol was valued as much for its psychological warfare effect as its actual field performance. It was believed that if vast quantities of these handguns could be delivered into Axis-occupied territory, it would have a devastating effect on the morale of occupying troops. And i belive theres somehow similar story behind this new liberator, but i just cant find it. Redpill me, please if you are familiar in this topic.
Thanks
>>
They're shit.
>>
>>30200896
But is there any potential?
But i guess I'm mainly interested in your opinion about their availability.
>>
File: 1461024885654-h.jpg (200 KB, 694x695) Image search: [Google]
1461024885654-h.jpg
200 KB, 694x695
>>30200911
They are good for like 1-2 shots max. There are better options but fuck it still kind of cool to 3D print a gun. Regardless I would only shoot once.
>>
>>30200886
>if its okay for people to have the oportunity to just download and print a gun
who cares, just like drugs, it won't fucking matter what you think or if it's illegal, people will still do it.
>>
>>30200886
It's an interesting concept for sure, but it's largely a meme for the time being.

3D printed materials aren't strong enough to serve reliably as a gun just yet, and there's plenty of easier, cheaper, and more reliable ways to make a gun. 3D printing was never meant to be a means of mass production but rather a rapid prototyping tool.

The "Liberator" gun that was so controversial recently was nothing more than an interesting proof of concept intended to demonstrate the futility of gun control laws. It is not and never was intended to be all that practical. Even with newer 3D printed guns that are a bit more durable, they're still at best on par with a bottom-of-the-barrel Saturday Night Special. The closest thing you really have to any practical 3D printed gun manufacturing is all the AR lower receivers and furniture that can be 3D printed, and even then those concepts aren't all that great.
>>
>>30200911
Yes, there's potential that 3D printed guns might reach levels of quality close to conventional guns, especially now that metal 3D printing is starting to become a thing.

However, they're really not practical to obtain for anything but a novelty piece. 3D printing takes forever for even the smallest things, and 3D printers themselves are very expensive. Your average criminal is likely going to take a cheaper, faster approach to getting a gun for a crime, and, while a 3D printed gun will undoubtedly make it into a crime scene eventually, preventing people from making/owning those is hardly going to stop anyone. Think - anyone who is interested enough in guns to make one of the 3D printed designs is most likely already going to have at least one gun of their own. Even if they don't, they'd still have the basic understanding necessary to build something like a slam-bang shotgun.
>>
No shit it's OK to print guns. You could of just checked the law instead of asking us. Fuck you btw. The topic of 3d printed guns is so cliche. Literally every non gun friend I used to have would talk about it like it's got serious potential, theyre worse than zip guns. Get a gun that works or stfu about the 3d printed dildos your mommy saw on viceland.
>>
>>30201157
>3D printers themselves are very expensive
Eh, not terribly so, and they keep getting cheaper
>>
I've taken to wondering whether investment casting might be useful for this.

Some old timey black powder revolvers were brass framed, some had brass cylinders, a few antique guns even had brass barrels.

investment casting of brass can give very detailed results. Would be interesting to see if a working .22lr pistol could be made by that method.

Trouble is, while the equipment to put together a foundry are cheaper and more common than 3d printers, the skills are much rarer. I know a couple motherfuckers with printers, but not a single person with a foundry.
>>
>>30200886
>vast quantities
>3d printed

pick one
>>
Anyone know when the Imura revolver will be released?
>>
>>30200886
I think combining the old fashioned pipe guns with 3D printed sub components like magazines or whatnot have a better chance of taking off than pure 3D guns.
>>
>>30201400
>Eh, not terribly so, and they keep getting cheaper

This desu famiglia

>printer and 2kg filament for $185 shipped, domestically even.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Full-Acrylic-Quality-High-Precision-Reprap-Prusa-i3-LCD-Acquired-DIY-3d-Printer-Kit-with/2026704108.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_2_10037_10017_507_10032_401,searchweb201603_2&btsid=0d58cdf4-bb92-470f-8a9f-52817f3ea546

Of course, you have to put it together yourself, and it requires a bit more intelligence to get any sort of decent result from this kind of pile of Chinese shit than the average criminal possesses.
>>
>>30200886
A better liberator program would have been shotgun ammo airdropped with simple guides to building 4winds\tumbera, those footfucker traps & nail/pipebombs. Plus some hunting rifles for popping officers from a distance.
RE 3D guns: the songbird pistol is pretty sweet.
>>
>>30201340
>could of
>>
Like with every technology, if it gets popular enough and has enough research go into it, that technology will get better and cheaper. (Like cell phones) 3D printers fill a small market right now because of their price, accuracy,printable materials, and their ease of use (to an extent). And honestly I dont think 3d printers will ever get as popular as cell phones or even normal printers because of the purpose they serve. Because of this, it is going to be a long time before we see effective all 3d printed guns in the hands of the masses. With that said, there are firearm parts that can be made using 3d printed parts like AR lowers and other recivers and can be used to make firearms with commercial parts available online. And then you can take this even further and use lost medium method to make castings of said parts out of most metals like aluminum or steel. I have done this for a ruger 10/22 reciver and it works really well for something that was done on my 3rd time ever casting, and I only had to do minor mechining. This is the reality of today for 3d printed guns. A casted liberator from 3d printed parts could work as well using steel and case hardening and if the caliber was small enough. I would have to figure out the stresses, but it is certainly possible. If only you wanted to gain a few more shots compared to the plastic counterpart. And this is only partly of what you can do, if mass producing is your goal you could print a master template and make a negative using silicone rubber and then make wax positives to use in the castings, shaving a few hours off each firearm that otherwise would be printed. So thats about all I have right now.
>>
File: 1425696109455.jpg (51 KB, 534x451) Image search: [Google]
1425696109455.jpg
51 KB, 534x451
>>
>>30201911
well this image somehow opened my eyes in the therms of how 'simple' is to make a gun and that 3D printed guns are no threat really and that they need more effort than just to simply get a gun.
Then there is a second question, because most of the firearms are sold by the people who somehow have a monoply on guns, so the 3D printing was a leak, but since it sux. Are there any other options how to supply yourself with a gun without a gun permit or whatever common way?
>>
I'd rather have a 3D printed lower receiver for an AR. It's actually useful as a ghost gun.
>>
File: AK receiver blank.jpg (176 KB, 1382x778) Image search: [Google]
AK receiver blank.jpg
176 KB, 1382x778
>>30202931
four winds shotgun

one piece of pipe that fits a shotgun shell in the inner diameter, another piece of pipe with an endcap for it to slide down into

insert a nail in the bottom and slam the pipe + shell into it.

four winds shotgun / pipe shotgun / slambang
>>
>>30200886
What I never understood is, where do you get ammunition from if you have to go 3d print your own gun?

Should they just design one that works with homemade powders instead or is ammo just so plentiful that even smuggling it is relatively easier given its far smaller size.
>>
File: match powder reloading2.jpg (645 KB, 1336x2016) Image search: [Google]
match powder reloading2.jpg
645 KB, 1336x2016
>>30203117
sourcing ammo is probably pretty easy even in bongland

buy or steal some from a gun owner, they're on a registry they can't be that hard to find

Alternatively you could make your own cases and bullets, and use match stick powder.
>>
>>30200985
a washbear is good for quite a few shots.
>>
>>30203117
That's exactly why certain politicians want to start serializing ammo and tracking it. In fact in my state (CA) they already scan your driver's license every time you purchase ammo. The writing is on the wall friend.
>>
>>30201102
What is disruptive innovation?
>>
>>30203533
Really?

I thought that was only big stores.

I swear I've bought ammo with them just checking ID if that.
>>
>>30203195
Anyone actually make their own cases?

I know bullet casting and powder/primer making is basically just medal working and chemistry respectively, but I thought cases are a tad bit trickier.
>>
>>30203624
Maybe but for now you can still buy ammo privately too.

For now.
>>
>>30203645

This is something I'd like to know too.

Unicorn ammo is leading me down the path of the caster/reloader.
>>
File: 1453596997893.png (4 MB, 2140x1739) Image search: [Google]
1453596997893.png
4 MB, 2140x1739
>>30200886
>>
File: liberateeurope_resized.png (712 KB, 638x585) Image search: [Google]
liberateeurope_resized.png
712 KB, 638x585
>>30203871
>>
>>30200886
No, the average person (mostly white republicans/GOP let's be real) is not responsible enough. You do not need assault rifles and you don't need to act butthurt when people from civilized countries say you should give up fully automatic weapons.

The facts show that there is one mass shooting per day in America. This once was about rights, but now it NEEDS to be about gun safety, common sense regulation, and addressing gun violence. Our children will suffer unless gun owners stop throwing around bullshit statistics, and start tackling real issues like the evil NRA, the gun show loophole, and how racist gun owners have made groups like BLM a necessity or how they dismiss Obama's reform plans because of his skin color.

Don't get me wrong. I support the 2nd amendment, but I believe that it should be subject to regulation just like any other right.
>hurrr SHALL NOT
I know that I'm in an echo chamber full of autistic neckbeards and elitists, but there's no harm in having a real discussion for once.
>>
>>30203967
>believing rights should be regulated

fascist
>>
>>30203967
*civilized countries like England or Australia

I'm from the former, and gun control has worked despite what you might hear.
>>
>>30203812
>>30203645
Probably not without a 100 ton press and some dies.

But you could turn a shitty case on a lathe if you're careful.
>>
>>30203967
this
>>
>>30203967
3d printed bait
>>
>>30203645
Its the hardest part of the process.

But if you are going from scratch you could design a case around what is easy for you to make and work around that.

Like a brass tube with a end piece that threads on and contains the rim, primer pocked and flash hole.

Drawing your own cases need the dies, high pressure press and an anealing machine. Making the dies is the hardest thing.
>>
File: cff.png (65 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
cff.png
65 KB, 625x626
>>30203967
>Comes to /k/ to have a gun control debate.

Either this is some really shitty bait or you're more autistic than we are.
>>
>>30203967
If that were the case guns would have no requirements to buy at all unless you intend to carry it around with you on public roads.
>>
Additive manufacturing (3d printing) is absolutely shit right now. Wait 20 years and it might have a place, but it certainly won't be in firearms.

3d printing metal parts of any quality requires a $1M machine and the process will destroy your lungs if you're not careful.
>>
File: Ian.jpg (189 KB, 974x716) Image search: [Google]
Ian.jpg
189 KB, 974x716
>>30200886
Imagine being able to print every obscure gun you want, that wouldn't be profitable to make traditionally.
>>
>>30203967
>tasty bait

>there is one mass shooting per day in America
no darling, there isn't. Even shitty circlejerk subredit GunAreCool admits that.

>but think of the children
hq emotional appeal

>NRA shagged my mom

>things that don't exist

>BLM oppose police brutality, because rasist guns owners
what is logic and what are black panters

>if you don't support black politician then ur rasict
>Ben Carson, never heard of him

>what are natural right
>how does constitution work

>projecting
>>
>>30203871
>>30203890
How can i follow the instruction on mac?

Also, talking about future now 3D printed guns really are meme, they are unreliable as hell, but lets say in 8 years, they might be a big thing, dont you think? And do you see them as a possible threat or they will never be that easy to obtain and for the person that want to get a gun will always be cheaper, more reliable to get a mass produced metal gun?
Is it real to imagine seven people in the cellar, printing their guns and preparing for an assault without enyones notice?
What will be the consequences?

>>30207172
this is also pretty cool, thanks for this opinion
>>
File: ATF.jpg (378 KB, 1526x1750) Image search: [Google]
ATF.jpg
378 KB, 1526x1750
>>30207311
Hey thanks man, it's usually slow here at night. We'll see you soon, thanks again!
>>
>>30203967
I kek'd
>>
>>30207329
somehow didn't realize that you guys are in different time zone
>>
>>30207311
>How can i follow the instruction

Pls be real, pls be real.
>>
>>30200886
The ones made with 100% plastic are shitty.
If you print the gun part out of plastic and use metal for everything else they actually become pretty sturdy, would operate with /10

To the retards saying 3d printing isn't advanced enough, I have a carbon fiber 3d printer and access to a metal laser-sintering powder deposition 3d printer.
Get fucked.
>>
File: main.png (1 MB, 971x722) Image search: [Google]
main.png
1 MB, 971x722
>>30207707
Too angry to attach a pic
>>
>>30200886
>the oportunity to just download and print a gun.

My best buddy works in a woodshop. He specializes in CNC and shopbot work. I can't explain it in the way he can fucking lecture about it, but boy does he go on about how fucking difficult it would be for the average joe to not only acquire something capable of doing this but also the material and design process behind it.

TL;DR - Only special people with the right equipment would have such an opportunity.
>>
Why doesn't somebody try to make a 3d printed gun that isn't shit
>>
>>30203082

This, 3D printed guns are even worse than Slam bang shotguns, and both are emergency-tier ranges.

Plus the slam bang pipe materials can probably be used more times, disposed of more easier etc. Just face it, they're shit.
>>
>>30203195
Theres no central public register of gun owners. You can get blank ammo in .22 short, .22long, 8mm, 9mm, .45 & 12guage. Also matchheads, nail gun cartridges, fireworks ard availabe as is the coldpack/artificial salt concoction.
>>30203117
Nailgun cartridge/.22blank plus a hunting pellet for an airrifle.
>>
File: ammo_bandito.png (86 KB, 581x628) Image search: [Google]
ammo_bandito.png
86 KB, 581x628
>>30200886
>its okay for people to have the oportunity to just download and print a gun.
Hell yeah, it's an awesome idea. If you've been reading up on this I assume you've heard Cody Wilson's spiel.

Trouble is more with usability as per >>30201102
and >>30201157
Interesting proof of concept, but call me back when you can 3d print, say, a BCM-tier AR.
>>
File: axenigga.png (49 KB, 841x514) Image search: [Google]
axenigga.png
49 KB, 841x514
>>30207720
Because it's difficult ya dumb shit

I'm mostly basing my thoughts off the comments here: http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=4521
>>
>>30203117
>homemade powders instead or is ammo
Nail gun cartridge designs.
>>
File: 1391142116725.jpg (31 KB, 530x422) Image search: [Google]
1391142116725.jpg
31 KB, 530x422
>>30203967
Is this pasta? Cause it sure looks like pasta. High-grade baiting pasta
>>
>>30208142
>high-grade
>>
sorry bumping, because i have no time to make the thread live, but will ask more questions during your night.
Thanks
>>
>>30203967
Holy kek this was gr8 b8
>>
>>30208142
I realized it was pasta when I read "mass shootings happen every day."
>>
>>30200886
So long as firearms exist they are intrinsically tied to the human right of self defence. 3D printing firearms is a positive step towards guaranteeing that right to the people.

Although they will probably be banned the moment they become interesting.
>>
What ever happened to the guy who made the washbear revolver? Seems like he deleted everything.
>>
File: 1465343811566.png (31 KB, 611x582) Image search: [Google]
1465343811566.png
31 KB, 611x582
>>30208142
>>30212837
Not even pasta. I just used this bingo sheet.
>>
3D printing guns is pure cucked symbolism and nothing more.

A 3D printed structure will never be stronger than the same structure made out of a solid block of the same material. This is true for metal and plastic, and is due to the fundamental way that 3D printed layers are held together.

You can make something more effective that won't destroy itself after more than 2 shots out of parts at a typical home depot.
>>
So /k/ really thinks that having an easier ways to get guns makes the world a safer place?
How about 3D printed guns taken to a plane?
And the tracebility?
>>
>>30216067
>How about 3D printed guns taken to a plane?
Ammo is made of metal, retard.
>And the tracebility?
Just as traceable as a pipe gun.
>>
I would love to have a 3d printer. But i don't, so making a gun out of metal is easy and seems to last longer. why not 3d print some parts and use a metal barrel and other parts?
>>
>>30215648
>A 3D printed structure will never be stronger than the same structure made out of a solid block of the same material
This is exactly how some of the more elaborate printing mechanisms work:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_beam_additive_manufacturing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering

>You can make something more effective that won't destroy itself after more than 2 shots out of parts at a typical home depot
That requires at least a bit of skill/experience. 3D printing does not.
>>
>>30216067
>taking guns on planes?
TSA is dog shit security, they would probably let 9/10 people on a plane with normal guns.
>tracebility?
stop watching CSI that show is retarded.
>>
>>30216150
Is best plan.

Integrating 3d printers into a small scale manufacturing process is their best use.

You can use them to make your blanks for the molds if you want to make a cast part.

You can use them to make small plastic parts or odd shapes that are time consuming to make with more traditional means.

You could use a barrel blank or strong pipe for your barrel, with a little bit of machining for attachment mech.

Have a cast ally reciever with mostly cast internals.
>>
>>30207713
Not that difficult mate.

3d printers are fairly consumer grade now. You can go on Ebay and buy a prebuilt one and provided you have half a brain you will be able to calibrate it well enough to make it print.

If you want to go a liberator then sure but FOSSCAD has plenty more designs that are far better.

Pepper box stuff and the like. 6 shots of .22lr in a few seconds isnt halfway bad.

I know I wouldnt volunteer to stand in front of it.
>>
File: 1294702143199.jpg (3 KB, 132x122) Image search: [Google]
1294702143199.jpg
3 KB, 132x122
>>30215648
>never

time travelers in muh /k/ too spooky 4 me
>>
RAPID PROTO TYPING

NOT MANUFACTURING

NOT FUCKING MANUFACTURING

RAPID
FUCKING
PROTOTYPING
>>
>>30207713
3-d printing and cnc milling aint even in the same ballpark friendo
>>
>>30216171
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_beam_additive_manufacturing

>MELT POWDER TOGETHER

EVERYONE ALREADY HATES MIM AND SINTERING YOU BUFFON 3D PRINTING IS FOR FUCKING RAPID PROTOTYPING STOP CHERRYINGPICKING SHIT YOU FUCK NIGGER CUNT ASS BUY A GOD

>>30216456

smartass retard faggot, go learn shit, christ, how the fuck do you think you can 3d print say a forged material? literally kill yourself with your shit meme picture.
>>
File: isthisreallife.jpg (70 KB, 360x267) Image search: [Google]
isthisreallife.jpg
70 KB, 360x267
>>30203890
what the fuck did i just read
>>
>>30203996

we have limits on speech too

you can't slander or make threats
>>
>>30216469
By using printers to do what they're made for: prototyping. 3D print a prototype, make a mold and then cast a new one in a better material. There are plenty of cast able plastics that would hold up better and could be cast in less than half the time as a print job.
>>
>>30207172
fuck i don't even care that they'll explode if you shoot them it's not like one would be able to find ammunition anyway
>>
>>30207708
what's up with the forward reciever pin?
>>
>>30216543
You also can't shoot other people.

You can say whatever words you want to yourself within your home. The same is not true with firearms from a legal standpoint.
>>
>>30216091
Sure true, but smuggling a metal balls inside a plane and a gunpowder is i belive possible?

>>30216178
Yeah the controls are shit, i managed to get 10 olfa knives blades through nyc airport, because i forgot them in my pencil case.
>>
File: 1398980086686.jpg (132 KB, 1024x638) Image search: [Google]
1398980086686.jpg
132 KB, 1024x638
>>30201102
This is a 1911 with a metal 3D printed frame/lower
>>
File: 1462150716923.jpg (4 MB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
1462150716923.jpg
4 MB, 3000x2250
>>30202931
If your country allows you to buy flare guns,they are easily converted to firearms.
In the U.S. you can order both the flare gun and the insert through the mail. ATF considers the two together to be a manufactured firearm.
>>
>>30203967
>there's no harm in having a real discussion for once.
We had one back in 1789. You can see the results in the bill of rights.
>>
File: 1403653239784.jpg (3 MB, 1301x7624) Image search: [Google]
1403653239784.jpg
3 MB, 1301x7624
>>30202931
>>
>>30200886
1-3 shots is their intended purpose. you use it to get a better gun off the guy you shot with it. they do alright for this purpose. you arent going to be plinking with them though.
>>
File: Formylolyuropbrothers.jpg (488 KB, 1317x1038) Image search: [Google]
Formylolyuropbrothers.jpg
488 KB, 1317x1038
>>30202931
>>
File: 1463168635690.jpg (42 KB, 736x310) Image search: [Google]
1463168635690.jpg
42 KB, 736x310
>>30218234
>>
>>30216469
The shitposting is real.
>>
>>30216461
>COMPUTER

>COMPUTING NUMBERS

>NOT FUCKING "DEVICE FOR WORD PROCESSING, PLAYING GAMES, ACCESSING DATA FROM A GLOBAL NETWORK"

>COM
>FUCKING
>PUTING

nobody cares what a technology was originally intended to be used for decades ago, gramps.

>>30216652
>need 50 pieces
>print time: maybe two weeks, decreased by number of printers available
>cost: filament + electricity + depreciation (negligible)

vs:

>mold making cost: $2000+
>mold lead time: 3 weeks+
>setup costs on a plastic injection machine: 200+
>molding time: an hour tops
>cost: material (granulated, cheaper than filament)

You need a pretty big production run, or pretty damn expensive plastic parts to justify injection molding anything. And unless you're prepared to pay the big bucks, it's probably going to be done in china with a lead time measured in months.
>>
File: cast_aluminium_ultimaker_blog.jpg (76 KB, 634x631) Image search: [Google]
cast_aluminium_ultimaker_blog.jpg
76 KB, 634x631
>>30220141

Scratch that, I'm retarded. Yeah, you could probably find some kind of glass-filled castable epoxy that makes stronger parts than FDM plastic, even the silly ones like carbon reinforced nylon.

but if you have casting skills, why not just move right to lost PLA metal casting?
>>
>>30200886
>I recently got into this topic of 3D printed guns and i want to know your opinion, not just about if they are efficient, but if its okay for people to have the oportunity to just download and print a gun.
3d printing is a meme for idiots. It is only suitable for knickknacks and prototyping for people who can't handle software or actually measuring.
3d metal laser sintering is it's own thing, shut up.

If you have access to thermoplastics, then there is no excuse to not use a mold and solve all the problems of 3d printing.

>>30200896
/thread
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.