[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Didn't know whether to post this in /tv/ /k/ or /g/ or /sci/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: ALSF-M56-2.jpg (43 KB, 640x453) Image search: [Google]
ALSF-M56-2.jpg
43 KB, 640x453
Didn't know whether to post this in /tv/ /k/ or /g/ or /sci/ but I'm genuinely curious (even though it may be a retarded question), but would a setup like this actually do anything to mitigate recoil beneficially or could this idea be modified to work in a similar fashion to mitigate recoil?
>>
>>30193742
or you could just use a bipod/tripod
>>
>>30193769
On the move?
>>
>>30193742
Great movie

(Jin Roh Wolf Brigade is the reference)
>>
>>30193774
on a vehicle
>>
>>30193742
it was a smart gun right? wasn't that set up actually for basically auto correcting the shooters aim?
>>
>>30193784
probably not

its from aliens
>>
>>30193742
>>30193784
oh wait I just saw him holding the horizontal grip this is some belt shit wtf

terribly impractical for moving in non-combat situations, which is what is important for infantry.
>>
>>30193774
This, the ideas to not have to setup. Really the main question I'm pondering is if a hypothetical system like this can work depending on how much recoil would be dampened by having it on this steadicam like rig.
>>
Of course it would mitigate recoil, but the reason recoil is even a problem is because people like to shoulder their rifles so they can aim.
This effectively trades aim for recoil mitigation.
Though that answer seems so obvious, I am unsure if I even answered your question.

It's a fine setup for a lmg though where aim doesn't even really matter. It's really only good for covering fire.
>>
>>30193790
Yeah, but also presumably having the recoil dispersed into the torso would mitigate recoil which would make or break the concept depending on if it did it well or not? Or at least that's what I'm trying to figure out.
>>
>>30193818
unless you need to go prone. It would be like dealing with the deadliest boner
>>
>>30193828
Why did an image of Alaskan crab fishermen rifling through dildos in cages run through my head after reading this?
>>
File: aliensmart.jpg (96 KB, 600x323) Image search: [Google]
aliensmart.jpg
96 KB, 600x323
>>30193818
But the whole idea with this James Cameron concept is that it also corrects aim that's why they wear all this headgear to get a reticle view in one eye from presumably the view of the muzzle.
>>
>>30193742
HUD with barrel cam/aim system. then would be pretty cool as long as you did not have to hit the ground.
>>
>>30193852
Alright fair enough.
Most people generally don't like to rely heavily on electronics in a firefight though.
>>
>>30193851
you have a secret mancrush on mike rowe
>>
In the context of having a smart system that links the aim with your hud, as well as aiming for you, it's great. It also places the recoil at center mass near the strongest groups of muscles. It's not perfect, as another anon pointed out no prone, but for what it is it would probably be good
>>
>>30193857
And the idea is that you get to put a high ROF weapon with heavy caliber depending on how well the system mitigated recoil/controlled aim of said heavy weapon.
>>
>>30193818
Couldn't you put a camera behind the sight block and wire that up to a rhino mounted scope/monitor?

>adding batteried device to combat rig
I know, asking for it, but it's a basic concept I necer see bandied about outside of fiction and speculative future warrior stuff
>>
>>30193868
Doesn't everyone?
>>
>>30193865
True but if it gave you an on the move advantage against say a group of enemy's more armored I'd say that's a nice design.
>>
>>30193875
See>>30193865
I'm just playing devils advocate
>>
>>30193878
only faggots and bernie voters have no love for mike rowe
>>
>>30193784
>Jin Roh
>M55 Smartgun
That's from Aliens friend.
>>
File: MK19-02.jpg (54 KB, 1000x690) Image search: [Google]
MK19-02.jpg
54 KB, 1000x690
Imagine getting a slightly downscaled version of this on there.
>>
>>30193828
Smartgunners actually lay on their backs and fire with the weapon over their stomach. Weird yes but I thought it was interesting how they comensated.
>>
>>30193934
wut?

thats kinda cool but where did you get that from? i don't remember seeing it in the movies
>>
>>30193918
i don't see how the mount and camera system can help you unjam the weapon mounted to your chest every 3 rounds
>>
>>30193946
Not that anon, but there is a "handbook for marines" made which has a shit load of info about the military in aliens
>>
>>30193946
It's from the old as USCM manual that they released after the movie in the 80's.

Talks about all the different weapon systems including ground-to-orbit anti-dropship missiles as well as how phased pulse plasma weapons operate. It's pretty kickass.
>>
File: dreambig.jpg (173 KB, 721x343) Image search: [Google]
dreambig.jpg
173 KB, 721x343
>>30193958
>>
I'm just going to /thread this entire thing right here and now:
It's the perfect gun for removing xenomorph in tight quarters where you are fairly certain you won't breach your hull and you don't mind putting holes in everything.
In modern warfare, it's kinda dumb.
>>
>>30193967
wow thanks asshole i didn't want to go to sleep or anything
>>
>>30193976
tumblr pls go
>>
>>30194007
How is any of that tumblr, shitlord?
>>
>>30193976
It's designed as a CQB low-visibility support weapon what did you expect?

It serves it's role well in areas that have lots of cover and obstruction causing short target exposure times and/or have dark, smokey, or cluttered environs such as starships, urban/colony stacks, or jungles.
>>
>>30194041
>It serves it's role well in areas that have lots of cover and obstruction causing short target exposure times and/or have dark, smokey, or cluttered environs such as starships, urban/colony stacks, or jungles.

This, envision this with a flir setup in jungle warfare with a platoon giving you flanking support.
>>
>>30193742

Yes and I'm fascinated by it.

> Old pic on phone...still haven't bought the damn book. I know it will just sit in a bookshelf or maybe under a coffee table but I wants.
>>
File: page19.jpg (203 KB, 1024x1439) Image search: [Google]
page19.jpg
203 KB, 1024x1439
>>30193946
I think this is the appropriate page Anon is referencing.
>>
>>30193818
>It's a fine setup for a lmg though where aim doesn't even really matter. It's really only good for covering fire.

Except the literature states that the smartgun is disgustingly,terrifyingly accurate
>>
>>30193865
Most people haven't been living with that tech for a couple hundred years
>>
>>30194122

I've got the pdf in my mega account if you want it.
>>
>>30193742
I think the science supports that it would be stable if it had a counter weight/gyro to balance out the recoil
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.