[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
am going to try my hand at hunting upland birds this year. don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: sxp2.jpg (20 KB, 618x320) Image search: [Google]
sxp2.jpg
20 KB, 618x320
am going to try my hand at hunting upland birds this year. don't own a shot gun though. i know you'll probably scoff but i am kind of digging the Winchester sxp right now. most recommendations i hear is "get a mossberg or an 870" but i tried all 3 and a few others and for me its a toss up for the benneli nova and the sxp black shadow... super edgy name. the Winchester felt more well put together but made of cheaper materials. at 200 less than the benneli what do you think i should do ?

> inb4 590 with bayonet
>>
>>30184684
You should look into a stoeger. They are cheap but a damn good gun. I think they are a sub brand of benelli, so there is a quality reputation to back it up.
>>
>>30184743
thanks for the tip will check them out.

i'd have gotten the Winchester but am iffy bout their build quality and customer service.
>>
>>30184832
The SXP is actually made in Turkey, but is generally a fine shotgun. The design is the same as the FN P-12, but with a more general focus on sporting use. FN owns Winchester, well Repeating Arms anyway.
>>
>>30184903
interesting info. the only thing that worries me is i've heard bad things about their customer service and alot of complaints about malfunctions. though i think most of that is related to the magnum slam fire debacle.
>>
>>30185102
A lot of that had to do with Winchester's absolutely terrible communication of the problem. I don't know if they have improved in that regard or not. Their firearms are much better now than 10 years ago.
>>
>>30185294
another thing that i have to contend with is that i live in Canada and prices are kind of screwy at the moment. the line up at crappy tire is
>shitvage Model Whogivesafuck
220$
>88
250$
>sxp
450$
>500
500$ :P
>benneli nova
650$
>stoeger p350
700$
>870 express
800$

kind of off from the american prices. which would make sense if we didn't have a free trade agreement with America. prices on American made goods should be cheaper but so far it seems that for some reason stuff that has the same import tariffs cost more here. except for winchester which is made in turkey but costs less than stoeger, also from turkey. even though in the us stoeger is cheaper than sxp.
so bear in mind that it makes no fucking sense and some things are not available here for who knows what reason.
>>
>>30185419
Your prices scare and confuse me. Do people $800 Expresses? I mean, wtf.

I would probably go with the 500 or SXP, based on my preference for fit. I have no idea how well warranty work is handled in Canada.

The Savage 320 is not bad, just Chinese. Are you intending this gun to last 10s of thousands of rounds or anything?

The Nova is also a really good gun, arguably the best shotgun for waterfowl, though I personally hate shooting them. If you hunt in inclement weather, it is your best choice.
>>
>>30184684
I've got an sxp. Haven't used it a ton but it has worked well for me. Like another anon said, I think the only malfunction I've really heard of is the slam fire on magnums, but mine is only 3" so its fine. Some people have trouble with jams, but that's just from short stroking because they're not used to the way it operates.
>>
>>30185533
they scare and confuse me as well. to be fair the prices for the express vary heavily. 80 is just the most ridiculous one i saw recently at a usually reputable dealer. the one at crappy tire was 680$ i asked if it was a wingmaster and the guy grined and shook his head. " nope, not anymore" that's an express.
>>
>>30184684
I hunt pheasant with a benelli super black eagle II, I love that gun.
>>
>>30185533
as for the ten thousand rounds thing. i generally am anal when it comes to handling and cleaning my rifles and i can't imagine i'd be much different with a shotgun. most folks where i live let their guns get covered in rust and deteriorate to the point where they go from semi's to single shots. i don't do that and i want a gun where it'll last as long as i take good care of it and have parts available when something does go wrong, something i realize only a handful of gun makers do and i know very little about shotguns and their makers.
>>30185585
do you think you'll be able to get parts for it in 15 years and do you think you'll need em? not saying i want to keep it as an heirloom but if i want to sell it to trade up or something later i don't want to buy a discontinued never heard of it gun that can't be fixed.
>>
File: img_0605.jpg (80 KB, 800x256) Image search: [Google]
img_0605.jpg
80 KB, 800x256
Do yourself and get a supernova. Wish mine fit me better, because it's a damn fine gun.
>>
>>30185628
dunno what that set you back mĂȘtis but 2200 is a bit outta my price range.

i'll admit i'm felling a bit jelly now though.
>>
>>30185683
Get the Nova or 500 is parts supply is an issue you are worried about. The Maverick is an option, and at the price difference might be worth the savings. Stoeger would also be fine, but that price seems odd.

The Chinese Savage and Turkish Winchester are likely to be hit or miss for parts in 15 years.
>>
>>30185683
If you're just using it for upland bird hunting and not shooting thousands of shells through it a year shooting skeet, I could see it lasting for 15 years. It feels plenty sturdy to me.

About the parts, I didn't really have an opinion so I did some looking. I found a thread asking whether the sxp and 1300 shared parts since they are very similar. A guy called Winchester/Browning and was told they don't, but there is a high demand for sxp shotguns from dealers and they expect the guns and parts to be available for a long time. That was from 2011 and they're available in more models than ever, so demand must be decent.
>>
>>30185709
thats something i'd be proud to own.

but it's also out of my price range at 900 bucks.

something i wouldn't mind trading up to though someday. kinda why a reputable gun is so important to me even at a budget price... i'd like to be able to sell it.
>>
>>30184684
I have a SXP and I am very pleased with it. Its comfortable to shoot, accurate, and overall a quality shotgun. I've even used it in trap shooting and shot a 20 out of 25. For a field gun I'd say not too bad.
>>
File: 1463991473376.gif (2 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
1463991473376.gif
2 MB, 360x240
>>30185753
good to know. thanks for doing that bit of research for me.

>>30185734
maverick is tempting. it might be something where i buy one for this years hunt just to try out and sell it next year for one of the other guns mentioned in this thread. guy at lgs said he expects the price on sxp's to remain stable so i might be able to get away with saving that purchase for turkey hunting next year.

here's a stupid gif for your troubles lads
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.