[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
okay /k/ i got a question for you. how many .22 lr would it take
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: 22.jpg (362 KB, 1135x1006) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
362 KB, 1135x1006
okay /k/ i got a question for you. how many .22 lr would it take to kill an M1A2 abrams firing at it from the front?
>>
depends on how far away the shooter is, what weight 22 ammo, if it's hypervelocity or subs, or even CB caps.
>>
>>30170861
All of them
>>
>>30170877
Even then it would still be way too many. The ammo would either ricochet off it, and even if it hit dead on, it still would take way too much to even puncture it
>>
You would probably start to have a lead build up on the surface and not be penetrating or damaging the armor. I don't think you would ever get through, even at unreasonable numbers of shots (like 10 million).
>>
File: Its_Summertime.jpg (45 KB, 548x469) Image search: [Google]
Its_Summertime.jpg
45 KB, 548x469
Autistic gamers engaging in sophistry.
>>
>>30170883
best answer
>>
>>30171135
spotted the summerfag
>>
With a high enough rate of fire l, friction could melt through the armor.
I don't suppose you could devise a system that could probably do 10000 rounds a minute, not overheat and can hit the same spot every time? Maybe a 20 barreled gatling gun with bullbarrels, that'd be fucking hot.
>>
>Get full auto ruger 10/22 with drum mag
>Find M1
>Start spraying
>.22 bullets bounce off the hull
>tank crew chooses not to bother with you
>a dozen bullet falls into turbine intake
>break compressor blades
>tank dead
>>
>>30170883
>>30170916
>yfw when you bury the tank in bullet splatter and still haven't begun to penetrate
>>
File: download.png (56 KB, 1422x1114) Image search: [Google]
download.png
56 KB, 1422x1114
Could you fire the 22LR from gliders before they landed in front of the tank?

Like gliders with a quad-mount .22LR ball turret on the bottom?
>>
>>30170861

Your best bet would be to fire them down the gun barrel and hope they caused the next round fired to be blocked and blow the shit out the the barrel and the breach inside the tank. Pretty hard to do, but if you could jam a round in the big gun the results could be devastating.
>>
>>30170916
>>30172506
If anything your armoring it up with lead.
>>
>>30170861
one round
accelerated to somewhere below or at the speed of light
>>
>>30174029
If you're doing this to a tank in combat why would they not shoot you as you fire thousands of .22 bullets into their guntube ? Or at least drive away?
>>
>>30174414
a .22 piece of lead traveling at lightspeed would almost instantaneously disintegrate from air friction.
>>
>>30173994
nigga what the fuck are you doing
>>
>>30174599
But what if it didn't?
>>
>>30174599
>a .22 piece of lead traveling at light speed would almost instantaneously disintegrate from air friction.

It's an interesting fact about the Large Hadron Collider you might find amazing...

They take the amount of hydrogen gas at normal pressure that would fill the size of a "BB".

They strip off the electrons and then accelerate the neutrons very very fast.

So fast that if the neutrons were to colide with a semi truck they would vaporize it do to the extreme kinetic energy those few gas particles have!

Don't be surprised if rail guns turn out to be a passing fad...
>>
Who knows, but like water and rocks, give it enough time and it'll wear away.
>>
>>30170861
If you sink it in an ocean of .22s, I'm sure that that tank would be screwed regardless. Someone would have to check to see if it actually died of lack of oxygen though.
>>
File: x-37b.jpg (76 KB, 800x560) Image search: [Google]
x-37b.jpg
76 KB, 800x560
>>30174675

>that whole post

Hi there.
>>
>>30175234

LOIC: The Space Plane
>>
>>30174599
Not from friction.

From individual molecules in the air impacting molecules in the bullet, causing fission. The energy released by these collisions rapidly plasmafies the surrounding atmosphere. The lead is slightly decelerated by this reaction if it doesn't cease to exist from the fission.
The tank is hit first by a wave of radiation given off by the reactions, then the plasma soon after. It melts as the temperatures involved rival the sun.

Congratulations, you have destroyed an M1A2 Abrams with a .22 LR.

Also a small country's worth of land because light speed, solid matter, and atmosphere do not mix well.
>>
>>30174675
You fucking idiot, used as a weapon they'd just make a big explosion from hitting the air inbetween the end of the accelerator's vacuum chamber and the target. Good luck figuring a way to carry a 4 mile long ring and all the massive power equipment and feeder accelerator on a battleship too.
>>
I assume if you're able to ricochet it into the intake or some other part of the engine (aren't there radiator vents??) you might manage to break a rubber hose or cause a breach in some aluminium engine part that'd cause the engine to fail.

You're never getting through armour, though. Have fun trying to cut diamonds with a potato, pal.
>>
>>30175311
we'll call it a draw
>>
>>30175414

:)
>>
I suppose it would take enough to hit, and leave some trace of the bullet on the front armor, to build up enough weight to overcome the crush strength of the tank and crush the crew inside
>>
File: 1290785795160[1].gif (4 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1290785795160[1].gif
4 KB, 250x242
>>30175414
Did you just say, "4 mile long battleship"?
>>
>>30175424
The vents are armored.
>>
>>30175441

This guy actually got it!!!!

In space, 4 miles is very very sub microscopic. But future tech does not give a shit about that.
>>
Of course we were limited here to the 22lr round...

But a modern guided barrel insertion round of expanding polymers would very quickly render the main gun not only useless but suicidal to try and use...
>>
>>30175453

You would have to build it in space or build chunks of it and send it into space for it to be attached.

Either way it would take a lot of time and money to do.
>>
File: 1459725651963.jpg (53 KB, 504x360) Image search: [Google]
1459725651963.jpg
53 KB, 504x360
Assuming no fricton, and complete conservation of momentum.

Using an impact speed study that shows pedestrians hit at 50mph (22.4m/s) have a 75% fatality rate. I used this because of the lack of air bags, etc. in at tank.

A 22lr has about a .003kg bullet and speed of 370m/s and an M1A2 is 65304kg according to Wikipedia.

set up the conservation of momentum and you get approximately 1.4 million bullets to send an Abrams skidding across an ice rink into a brick wall with 4200kg of lead stuck to it.
>>
>>30173994
I like this idea, maybe we could launch the glider from battleship mounted railguns
>>
>>30170861
I think it's impossible, lead will just start sticking to the armor at some point making it even thicker.
>>
>>30174675
Your a fucking idiot if you believe anything you just wrote. Someone actually stuck their head into a particle accelerator. AND THEY FUCKING EXPLODED!!! Wait no they just got radiation poisoning, lost some hair, skin and hearing, and later on had some seizures. The person lived and was still able to live a normal life
>>
>>30174675
>>do to

Opinion discarded.
Well, it was discarded before I reached that point. But this was the clincher that confirmed you are retarded. Did you start that awful air soft story thread?
>>
>>30175967
Only if they are also delivering a payload of weaponized ants along with cases of Listerine to boost troop morale.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.