[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a day in the life of a USMC armorer like? Interested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (169 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169 KB, 1000x1500
What is a day in the life of a USMC armorer like? Interested in hear stories.
>>
>>30147158
Inventories, more inventories, more inventories.

Private Retard broke something and it's your fault.

Stuff is broken or missing components. Fill out request paperwork for it. Wait for that paperwork to get ignored. Do it again next month. Repeat.

Oh fuck, time to take all these rifles to get bore inspected. FML.
>>
>>30147186

What if I'm really interested in weaponry? Would it help me get into gun smithing when I get out?
>>
>>30147211
Doesn't hurt. Just know there is more inventory and cleaning inspection than there is actual gunsmith stuff.
>>
>private dipshit does something stupid to break his carbine
>you fix it
>stuck at work after everyone else has left counting rifles
>unfucking weapons that inevitably get fucked ten ways to Sunday in the hands of 18-19 year old boots

This will be your life and it wont be long before you turn to alcoholism and suicidal thoughts which is a great combo for someone who spends all day in a room with firearms.
>>
>>30147158
"But I wanted it with cheese"
>>
>>30147158

> You ain't got no glawk fowtay Fa m?
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 590x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 590x462
>>30147265
Truth, I broke my arm on a jump and they tossed me in the arms room until I ETS. I WOULD WORK UNTIL 8PM then randomly get called to open the arms room at 2am for night training, then faggot NCOs would bitch about me not coming to 6am PT. After the first month during an ammo request I put in for 6 frags. I was going to end it all until someone I knew in the S3 shop blew his brains out with a shotgun. He broke two legs on a jump and became the SCOs personal maid/whipping boy. When the investigation went off I got pulled from my unit and got told to focus on getting out. Arms room duty is shit and you will attempt to kill yourself or others
>>
>>30147438
damn thats depressing as fuck
>>
>>30147438
every guy that works in the arms room is a straight up butthurt faggot. The job makes you miserable
>>
>>30147581
Then something is obviously wrong with the job
>>
Is there a job in the military that is still fun.

I mean how does it suck the excitement out of everything it touches.
>>
>Inhale massive amounts of lead and asbestos.
>Die.
>Wake up in hell.
>Get sent back to the armory.
>>
>>30149321
killing people, one would guess.
>>
>>30149321
I hate saying I had fun as a mechanic, but I had fun as a mechanic
>>
>>30147158

>Wake up late
>Pass by all the people who are waiting for me to open up the armory
>Fuck shit up
>Pass the buck
>"Man why do these guys keep messing up my guns?"
>>
>>30149460
Do tell
>>
>>30149489
In the army though, not marines. I went in as wheeled vehicle mechanic, then they wanted me to do tracked vehicles just because, I got to take a school on generator repair, vehicle recovery, and because my first duty station was fort campbell, I got to do air assault school. Essentially the job boils down to so much crap to keep you busy, you feel like you're having fun, even if you're not.

I'd have hated to do a job where there's downtime, as a mechanic someone is always bugging you to help with something, related to your job or not. But I learned to love turning wrenches, so that helps too
>>
>>30149321
No. There is a reason retention is low.
>>
>>30149321
i hate my job but i like my marines so i guess thats kinda fun. I've also taught them how to do everything and handle pretty much every major issue so i really don't even have to do anything but PT and fix major issues that rarely come up. kickback as fuk but it takes a nut busting amount of effort to get to this point
>>
Armyfag here, so I'm not sure if this translates to the Corps. My advice is, become a friend to your armorer. He'll be real cool with you when you try to draw your weapon and turn it in. He probably won't pick you if he has a choice when it comes to arms room details. If you do get in a detail though, it's pretty sweet. My armorer has let me take all sorts of old shit that's off the books. Carry handles, an M203 leaf sight, lots of old pouches, an old medkit, etc. An armorer is a great friend to have, but the same goes for things like S shop guys, mechanics, and the like. If you're a new dude, have a broad network of friends in your battalion.
>>
File: 1462011717949.png (66 KB, 308x213) Image search: [Google]
1462011717949.png
66 KB, 308x213
>>30149369
>>
>>30147211
Gunsmithing is a meme. Go be a machinist if you want to use machine tools.
>>
>>30147158
Yeah you'll be every platoon's leaderships bitch and thats usually where they send the fat shitbags so have fun dicking around in there with them.
>>
>>30149321
fighter pilot seems pretty fun.

fly all day, fuck all night
>>
>>30149321
the first 6 months of a conflict. you don't have a pot to shit in or running water but the ability to fuck everything in your area up for little cause is the only thing that keeps the infantry going
>>
>>30147158
>lose that little pin from an m4's bolt somewhere
>LOCKDOWN LOCKDOWN, WE'RE NOT LEAVING UNTIL WE FIND THAT PIN
>>
In my unit the armorer is usually a guy that has fucked up somehow or is injured. It's also regarded as one of the shittiest duties. Like mentioned before, you're expected to be there when the first guy needs to get in and leave when the last guy is done. When the arms room needs to be accessed on the weekend for some bullshit training you're there.
Now depending on your unit, you can score a lot of free shit. A lot of free cool shit. Makes me wish I was an armorer sometimes, but the best of both worlds is being friends with your armorer and getting the homie hookup.
tl;dr don't be an armorer just because you like guns because it will get old fast with the same boring shit. Being surrounded by 150 identical M4s is not that cool.
>>
File: USMCArmoryProcedures.png (912 KB, 3960x3936) Image search: [Google]
USMCArmoryProcedures.png
912 KB, 3960x3936
>>30147158
For your reading pleasure.
>>
File: IMG_20160603_012541.jpg (3 MB, 4791x2952) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_012541.jpg
3 MB, 4791x2952
>>30152317
CNC operator in training here.

Can confirm. Still learning the trade but I get paid decent with the ability for 60k a year, have better hours and way better benefits. Also, my machines spit out gun parts at a good pace.
>>
>>30152677
Holy shit lol.

Way fucking stricter than the air force. Our shit is super easy.
>>
>>30152370

'Cmon dude, it's a firing pin retaining pin.
>>
>>30147211
>>30152317
Marine Corps 2161 aka Machinist here do this and you will not only learn a cool trade and skill but you will make plaques for Marines leaving, retiring, and god knows what else. Otherwise you get a lot of hands on training and can cross train with the 1316's aka the welders.
>>
>>30149321
If the job has a selection process, it will be more fun.

The harder something is to get into, the more fun it will be.
>>
>>30152370
>not having spares in your room

Shit, I have shit tons of spare parts.

>Bolt? Got em.

>BCG? Got em

>firing pin? Got em

>retaining pins? Got em

My time is worth an extra part.
>>
File: krautspacemagic.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
krautspacemagic.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
>>30152765
can you make the famous kraut space magic? just curious
>>
>>30149321
Ranger batt
18x
>>
>>30149321
not in fucking peacetime
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>30152677
Holy fuck, that whole thing is epic and so god damn true. I was laughing, I can't tell if it's from enjoyment or terrible anguish from being in the arms room.
>>
>>30149321
>Is there a job in the military that is still fun.
>working
>fun
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.