[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu worth learning as a means of self defense/alternative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: punch5.jpg (57 KB, 606x400) Image search: [Google]
punch5.jpg
57 KB, 606x400
Is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu worth learning as a means of self defense/alternative to guns?

I have to go to a really fucking shitty area (Mount Druitt, Australia) every day and the people there are feral, they'll gang up and try to knock you out for just looking at them. My friends and I were threatened briefly with a syringe wielding piece of shit who wandered onto the TAFE campus looking for drug money but some tradesmen working on the building came told him to gtfo.
>>
I'd train to keep distance and do running, boxing or muay thai instead of BJJ if that's the case. If you start wrestlefucking one of them I guarantee one of their buddies will try to soccer kick your head off.
>>
collapsible stick to open your way for running the fuck out. nothing but a gun will allow you to stand your ground to 3+ agressors
>>
File: jj.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
jj.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>30123786
>Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Now, i know that jews arn't white, but they're not brown either.
>>
>>30123809
this
>>
Remember, it's about self defense, not self offense. Judo's great because once you're good you're fucking hard to trip or take down. So you can kick their nuts and run off.
>>
>>30123786
It's useful. It's not the be all or end all, there are other skills you also probably need, but BJJ is very good training, especially for retention situations.
>>
>>30123915
>>30123809
Absolutely, running is my first defense. I'm just thinking like, if I get fucked over and somehow put into a corner, I'd want to have a fighting chance or at least do some damage before I go down, leave a mark on the piece of shit. Will look into boxing in my area, although is it just me or are all dojos/training centres always located in dodgy as hell backalleys in the worst areas?

I also really need to also get used to "taking a hit" so I take it boxing is good for this? The last time I was hit, I went into shock and now I have something of PTSD, I shut down completely when put into violent situations and become mega stressed out, need to work on remaining clear-headed somehow as well.
>>
>>30123809
>If you start wrestlefucking one of them I guarantee one of their buddies will try to soccer kick your head off.
As a bouncer who has trained in bjj and wrestling I can confirm this
>>30123826
Don't think aussies are allowed
>>30123915
Judo is great....until your opponent doesn't have a gi and basic balance

Its a starting point.
There's 1000 different ways to skin a cat. Better to learn them all and apply what you think works.
Good luck on your warrior path OP
>>
>>30123944
Yes, boxing will help you, but taking a hit is a defeatist mentality. When you get hit, you will learn to move with the hit I stead of against it, minimizing the force that gets transmitted to you. It's only a coping mechanism though, if you get hit really hard right on the button, you're gonna drop, because good strikes almost always have more energy than you can disipate with that technique alone.
>>
I trained for over 6 years, and BJJ is fun and all, and a great workout/hobby, but you should not view it as self defense. The last thing you want to do is go to the ground.
>>
>>30123996
I would just learn how to clinch, throw knees, duck under/popup from clinch, and a rear naked choke
>>
>>30123826

Not true, granted it was only 2 guys
https://youtu.be/waFOeKTPfqs

Notice how the entire group pretty much fucked off from him. If I was a 3rd or 4th opponent, I'd step my ass right the fuck out of there.
>>
>>30124054
Yeah, you can see the 3rd guy in a light gray shirt walk up, ready to kick some ass, watches vodka get removed and instantly changed his mind.
>>
>>30123786
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geP5cm3spdw

practice your 500m times, fuck fighting some junkie with a needle.
>>
>>30123786
When you can brazilian jew jitzoo some ones ass 1000 yards away hit me up
>>
I did BJJ, muay thai, boxing and judo in my life. BJJ is very good for a 1v1 situation, but not ideal in that situation you describe. You need to take the fight to the ground to apply BJJ techniques, and that's the last thing you'd want on the street.

On the street it's almost always a bigger group vs individual or smaller group. Muay thai or boxing are way better for that. Especially boxing. Footwork and positioning are key in boxing + keeping your guard up.

I've been in only 1 fight outside of the ring in my life. Purely defensive. I always try to defuse situations. 70-80% of fights here are drunks who think someone challenged their "honor" by looking at them. Not even worth to fight
>>
>>30123809
This
Did it for 2 jears
It isnt practical in a realistic scenario
Learn how to shoot
>>
File: zCaQ8qg.png (171 KB, 1037x745) Image search: [Google]
zCaQ8qg.png
171 KB, 1037x745
>>30124658
I can shoot, have my category A B and H, but here in AU you can't carry/shoot for defense unless by some crazy chance you have time to get your gun out of the safe / unlock mag safe / load it and also assess successfully whether or not they pose significant enough of a threat that you can justify using a gun on said intruders.

My main problem isn't home defense, I practically live in a cardboard box in the bush. My main issue is having to go to a crappy west sydney college where people syringe each other on a daily basis over $5. I think running is the best go, but I'd also like to look into what to use if I can't escape. I've heard good things about Krav Maga (apparently the FBI, US and AU Military use it?) Also heard it's good for learning how to deal with a whole stack of different defensive scenarios (ie how to deal with multiple attackers, or how to use anything in your environment for defense, such as a random chair or a mini pocket maglite).

Also have a S&W Model 10 I made/modeled.
>>
>>30123786
As an 'occasional' visitor to Mt Druitt I've never actually had any problems.
I am very large and ugly though so most of the mugging/bogan/druggie types probably figure there's easier marks.

>>30124189
I'd agree on the Muay Thai and Boxing- you want fuckers down quick and yourself defended
However, lot of fights end up on the ground through more arse than class so if you can extricate yourself from that situation better than someone else then its worth the time to learn.

Unlike organised fights, street shitfests are generally complete cluster fucks of wild haymakers, people outnumbering you and a fair bit of bluff. Course the upside of that is there aren't any rules, so hooking out eyeballs, testicular torsion, headbutts, tearing off ears and kneeing people in the face until they look like a dropped pie is completely fair!
About the only advice really is-
>To be aware of your surroundings- ie don't walk around like a faggot looking at your phone
>Dont stand out- look/dress like part of the scenery.
>If someone fucks with you- Hit them first, very hard, somewhere they wont like and run like a motherfucker if its going to turn to shit.
>>
>>30123786

Few things you should know - all martial arts practitioners talk up their chosen style and generally shit on anything else.

Jiu Jitsu is a primarily ground fighting art, 10/10 would not recommend. If you are on the ground shits already pretty fucked and in a 2v1 you are completely screwed.

Boxing is alright for striking but kinda shit because it neglets a hell of a lot, like when the other guy tries to tackle you.

Muay Thia is reasonably balanced and likely the most balanced martial art you will find.

I would not recommend arts that focus heavily on kicking, using kicks in an actual fight is not likely going to end well, you put yourself off balance and the slightest fuck up on your behalf or luck on theirs will see on your ass getting your teeth kicked in.

Unnarmed self defence is a very tricky thing to get good at and often will still come down to the bigger dude wins.
>>
why is this even a question?

If learning to fight with hands is your one option then you should do it. Any amount of training will give you an advantage over anybody with none.
>>
Krav Maga is worth it more.

not tied down with rules of respect and sport like boxing is.
>>
>>30124789
>successfully whether or not they pose significant enough of a threat that you can justify using a gun on said intruders.

> I practically live in a cardboard box in the bush

What intruders.

Step 1: Mincer
Step 2: Dam + Yabbies
Step 3: ???????
Step 4: Profit
>>
I'll second everyone else, a ground/grappling based form is terrible for street fights. You'll want a striking based form. Muay thai and krav maga are good no-brainers. But even basic karate or tae kwan do is better than nothing.

I know everyone will give me shit for this recommendation but for what you described I'd give serious thought to ninjutsu, if you're lucky enough to even have a reputable ninjutsu dojo near you. Ninjutsu training won't necessarily tell you how to fight once you're in one, beyond the golden rule of strike first, fast, and hard in a place to inflict maximum damage or effect; but it does train you in everything you need to know about what leads up to a fight. Awareness of threats, ways to avoid said threats, how to set up an advantageous situation for yourself should that threat be unavoidable, etc.

And by ninjutsu I mean reputable ninjutsu, not the 'look ma I'm a ninja, watch me half-slap someone 5 times in one second and throw some ninja stars to finish' type bullshit you see on youtube (I'm looking at you ChosunNinja).
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.