[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is better for HD, shotguns or pistols?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7
Which is better for HD, shotguns or pistols?
>>
>>30116867
Shotgun

But if you have fantasies about searching your house for the bad guy then a handgun
>>
>>30116867
It is said that a pistol is for getting to your rifle/shotgun. A shotgun/rifle is a lot more consistent in putting down a threat effectively. Which is why handguns are considered SECONDARY weapons
>>
>>30116882
Someone broke into my house once while I was gone and it was actually quite terrifying sweeping the house alone. Couldn't even be bothered to try rounding corners because of the adrenaline and in case of ambushes. Had to let the cops do it while I waited outside.

If you're already in the house you have the advantage of knowing the layout but I'd have felt a lot better about sweeping the whole house if I had a shotgun instead of just a handgun.
>>
>>30116893
Story?
I've only had life and death situation before i was hasguns.
>>
>>30116867
Shotgun. I hate to entertain the "can't miss" bullshitters but your margin of error is greatly diminished unless your house is laid out like a cathedral.

While we're on the topic of home defense, how does /k/ feel about home security systems? I never see them mentioned here and I'm wondering the opinion on 'em. Clearly this is in addition to owning a weapon so don't give me that bullshit.
>>
>>30116904
>January
>Go literally 2 minutes down the street to get new tires for car
>Forgot wallet at home
>Come back
>Strange truck parked in front of my driveway
>Front door wide open
>Adrenaline rush, get gun from car
>No concealed permit yet, waiting on slow ass state to run background check, but Texas has castle doctrine
>Clear front, call out a few times for intruders, nothing
>Loaded revolver in my room so can't clear that room alone
>Call cops
>Wait 15 minutes for two patrols, first one is here in about 10
>Tell me to disarm and wait outside
>Police clear rooms together, nothing
>Concluded someone managed to get the door open then ran away when they heard me driving back
>Truck in front of my house was some guy doing landscaping for another house nearby

No shootouts, no deaths, best possible outcome. Still a jarring experience, if I had to sweep and clear the place myself, I would have preferred a shotgun over a 9mm.
>>
Why does no one ever factor in that you will most likely not be wearing ear pro if someone kicks your door in? Shotguns are loud as fuck outdoors, firing one in a 15'x15' room is a one way ticket to tinnitusville
>>
>>30117179
so are many handguns
>tfw i already have tinnitus
>>
>>30116867
I personally prefer my 12gauge loaded with slugs and magnum buckshot.

Had to use it when an ethnically challenged individual decided to enter my yard without permission and I was fucking glad I had my mossberg

I think pistols have a time and place, but it seems like pistols don't always stop the threat right away, where as if you get hit by a slug / 3" magnum 00 at 15 feet you're going the fuck down right there. One shot is all I need but I have 5 more to go with it.
>>
>>30116932
Alarms are worth it. at night you set it to instant, meaning if anything from the outside opens, it wails right away. It will wake you the fuck up, wake up your neighbors, and probably deter the intruder.
>>
>>30117227
>slugs and magnums
You must really hate your neighbors
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 640x1136
>>30117238
I live in a house and won't miss.
>>
>>30116932
Self monitored home security where you own all of the hardware is best. If you want, you can pay fifteen bucks a month to a monitoring service, or you can set it up to call it text you in case if break in and call fire dept if smoke detectors go off.
>>
>>30117179
keep them electronic earmuffs on the stock of your shotgun
>>
>tfw I only have a K31
it's ok, it isn't like I'll ever need to hear again or anything
>>
>>30117282
This. On the top setting i can hear across my house
>>
>>30117236
>>30117255
This is my current setup. As much as I would love to operate, I got a lot to live for and if a "WEEEEEEEEEEEE" and an instant call to the police can send an intruder running/keep me and my family unharmed, well, I don't have to think twice about that. And monitoring services ain't bad
>>
>>30117306
Deterrents are the best step
>>
>>30117227
20 gauge will do as well as 12 and followup is quicker
>>
>>30117332
I have no issue dumping 6 rounds of 12 gauge on a man sized target at any distance in my house, and I already own a 12 gauge though anon
>>
>>30117332
I'm >>30117255
I use federal premium reduced recoil buck. Fast follow up and better pattern than a 20 gauge.
>>
>>30117179
Your ears are pretty well fucked shooting anything indoors.
Anytime you would actually have to shoot you are balancing "would I rather have tinnitus/months if not years of court cases/to clean this motherfucker's blood off of the floor and wall (the cops don't do it for you)" against "I will probably die if I don't shoot this person"
>>
My house is all small rooms and tight hallways. I want a hi-cap pisol all the way. Here is why I would never want a shotgun:

1) Hard to grab and maneuver if you wake to someone in the room.
2) Zero spread at room distances (muh spread fantasies dispelled)
3) Short shucking is a thing, especially during an adrenaline dump the likes of which you have never felt
4) Shotguns are low capacity compared to pistols
5) EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>30117236
>>30117306

What systems do you guys use / would you recommend?
>>
>>30117421
Most of those can be solved with training though anon.

1 and 3 are training, 2 is good, 4 has a trade off as well as an advantage, 5 is a matter of having the equipment
>>
>>30117292
underappreciated fact
>>
File: image.png (844 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
844 KB, 640x1136
>>30117432
Mine was built into my house. Usually local companies are pretty good

>>30117451
It really is. I've heard people say that it reduces what you can hear but that's false
>>
>>30117432
My family uses a local security company but before than we had ADT and we still have all the ADT stuff. Door triggers, motion sensors, noise alarms, and the same security panel.

If you're going the self-service method, I believe Honeywell is the current leader in home security devices.
>>
>>30116867
I would say pistol, its shorter and wont over penetrate.
>>
>>30116867
Using a shotgun indoors without earpro will give you permanent ear damage and possibly vertigo. Same with rifles.

Shit try shooting your handgun indoors without earpro (use phonebooks) you'll see what I'm talking about. Even that amount of pain is going to affect your performance, a rifle or shotgun is going to make you throw up.
>>
>>30117179
> Some people would rather get ass fucked and killed by Tyrone than to have a non-life threatening disorder.
GG homie
>>
>>30117543
>wont over penetrate
Lol yes it will. But honestly who gives a fuck?
>>
>>30117562
People with children/housemates
>>
>>30117549
>vertigo

I'm not afraid of heights, faggot
>>
>>30116867
>PISTOL
>CALIBER
>CARBINES

Easier to shoot, easier to control, less flash, less deafening, still kills the bad guy just as effectively.
>>
>>30116867
Handgun w/ light. You have a free hand to dial 911 if alone. Open doors and operate light switches easily without adjusting or lowering your weapon. Free striking hand if someone is waiting around a corner for you. Able to grab children and family and move them. Able to secure a surrendering assailant. Smaller target for someone waiting around the corner to grab at. Can kill someone just as dead. SUPPRESSORS. Semi auto beats manual action because even the best miss occasionally.

If your plan is to hide in the corner while calling 911 with a gun pointed at your door, sure a 12ga will kill someone really fucking dead. But good luck moving appropriately if needed. I have a big house, family, and castle doctrine. You bet your ass I'm securing the house/kids while the wife calls 911.

Teams clear houses with long guns because they have people watching their backs and other angles. Solo police officers use their handgun.

Inb4 Hurr weapon light is dumb. To use it as a solo person you don't go in with it on and leave it on. Use it to spot check/ strobe. Shine it at a wall and look at the room around it, not directly at the beam of light. Switch it off while moving and repeat as necessary.
>>
mount rail on pump, mount pistol on pump rail, best of both worlds.
>>
>>30116867

Fuck that shit, I just keep a bayonet on my night stand.
>>
File: pupper.png (20 KB, 91x105) Image search: [Google]
pupper.png
20 KB, 91x105
>>30120218
>Use it to spot check/ strobe. Shine it at a wall and look at the room around it, not directly at the beam of light. Switch it off while moving and repeat as necessary.

lmao this is the most bullshit thing I've read on here

yeah m8 you're definitely going to do any of that if some HD situation ever truly came up. You'd hide in your room pointing your gun at the door while dialing 911 just like everyone else. I'm not getting fucking stabbed because I wanted to play pseudo-operator with whoever the fuck wackjob is in my house.
>>
>>30117179
Would you prefer to be dead, in an HD situation? :^)
>>
>>30117179
Is it legal to defend yourself with a suppressed weapon? I was thinking on getting a can for my AR15 for this exact reason.
>>
>>30120218
>free striking hand

>not pistol whipping

lmao do you WANT him to wrestle your gun from you in the struggle?
>>
>>30120536
Not same anon, but in knife fighting:

If your opponent also has a knife, hold your knife in front of you, rather than your off hand.

If your opponent DOESN'T have a knife, keep yours out of their reach by keeping your off hand forward.

I think this could be applied to pistols as well, provided you don't shoot your own hand.

Regardless, pistol whipping puts your weapon in the MOST danger of being taken from you. Just shoot the fucker.
>>
>>30116946
You forgot to shut the door all the way when you went out, and the wind blew it open.
>>
>>30120449
Except that's how it's actually done. Minimizes your signature and reduces the amount of time your eyes try to adjust to the bright light, use ambient light for movement. Life isn't a video game faggot.

Except I'm not a coward.

Except I have family i would die saving.

Except I've trained with law enforcement in how to do this kind of shit.

Except I like being in dangerous situations.

You know that drunk asshole that tries to pick fights with random people. Yeah that's me.

When I was 15-17 I'd stalk bears with a Kbar with the hopes of getting into a fight with one. Only ones I ever got close to ran from me. Might have been a mental disorder. Might have been huge fucking balls.

Do you even into confidence bro?
Do you train?
Do you use a shot timer and research/practice real techniques not just slopply smashing the pie while your mommy is at work?

Would you really not even consider your loved ones in a home invasion?

And the biggest question of all. What are you doing on /k if you don't have the urge to kill? The k in /k literally stands for killing, ask moot.
>>
>>30117421
1. Not really, no harder than a handgun. Hold a handgun out in front of you, and touch a wall with the barrel. Pick up a defense length shotgun and hold it without moving your feet. They're very close to the same.
2. If you have a 3 yard distance to your target, the spread will be roughly 3 inches 1in/1yard. No one said you didn't have to be accurate
3. Autoloaders are a thing now. My HD Shotgun is a Remington 1100 tactical.
4. My Rem 1100 holds 9 shells, my G22 holds 22 rounds of .40. I'd still take the Rem 1100
5. As mentioned above, put some electronic earmuffs on your gunstock, or have some earpro nearby. No sense in not having it.
>>
>>30120529
In HD, yes.
I wouldn't try to argue that for ccw to 12 people
>>
>>30120675
The k in /k/ stands for /k/ommando. Moot is dead
>>
>>30120675
but if you died saving them that means your murder/rapist killed you and is now skullfucking your kid over your wife's jizz covered corpse while you bleed out.
>>
>>30120536
What>>30120615 said

Keep your pistol in the guard. Or low ready or whatever your comfortable with close to your body but pointing forward low. Literally touching them with it is just asking for then for hug your arm and rip it out. Plus your immediate response should be to shoot the fucker ASAFGDP. Striking should only be used if he's already within a foot of you when you recognize the threat. And only if your not comfortable with taking an immediate shot.
>>
>>30120738
But if I died saving them they would have been saved.
I didn't say "try"
Accept no failure.
>>
It's easier to use a handgun and a phone at the same time. Best case scenario, the 911 recording gets me warning my uninvited guest to get out and that I'm armed so if I end up shooting him, it's cut and dry.
>>
>>30116867
Neither. Anything chambered in 5.56 makes more sense. 12 gauge 00 buck works just fine, but it also continues on through the target. Birdshot is worthless as is any shot that won't truck through the target and a few walls. Handguns are too weak for such a serious situation, I'd rather the threat didn't run away or progress on me when I'm stuck indoors. 5.56 will stay in the body and lay the smack down.
>>
File: collection.jpg (262 KB, 1208x848) Image search: [Google]
collection.jpg
262 KB, 1208x848
These are mine.
I think the shotgun is the worst possible choice.
Requires two hands to use, is more cumbersome around corners and gives extra opportunity for a perp to grab the gun.
Like I said, these are my guns, I go straight to the handgun every time.

>>30116882
>Doesn't go to see what the noise is.
>>
>>30120856
and no not the AR pistol.
>>
>>30120711
Before /k kommando was spelt with a C. How do you explaine that? They purposely improperly spelled a word to name a board and its inhabitants /k?
>>
>>30120856
A shotgun would be good if your sitting tight or have a team of 2-4 other guys behind you with a mix of subguns and handguns. Also if it were a SBS that'd be nice.
>>
>>30120798
Get a bullpup. I have no problem holding my tavor or my aug with 1 hand while using a phone or opening doors. Can even keep it properly shouldered with 1 hand. The length is shorter than a handgun at arm's length.
>>
>>30120529
It depends on your state. but as >>30120704 said, good luck arguing that one in court
>>
File: 1458106626711.jpg (11 KB, 215x240) Image search: [Google]
1458106626711.jpg
11 KB, 215x240
>>30120934
>Get a bullpup
>>
Hearing Protection Act when?
>>
>>30120934
> at arms lengh.

You know you can still use the front sight post until it's a few inches from your face if you really want to get compact. You can fire from the guard to if he's an immediate threat right in front of you. Arms lengh is good but you have the option to bring it in for doorways and tight corners.

When entering a room I am more ready. But when moving I hold my pistol in the guard. This is where training really helps.

7yds from the guard with a 90 degree turn I usually put 2 in the A zone of a half sized IPSC in 1.2 to 1 second depending. And .8 seconds if I'm facing the target.

Presentation is key. Punching out from the guard is more effective then looking down the sights as you move around your house. Even with long guns you may have it up and ready to line up. But your eyes should be scanning. Not fixated on your front sight waiting for a threat to appear behind it.
>>
>>30120675
I miss when /k/ wasn't completely covered in wannabe tryhard edgelords.
>>
>>30116867
vepr-12 or a similar mag fed shotgun with a folding stock.
>>
>>30116867
Both.
Pistol CC at all time.
Shotgun/rifle right along side bed.
You can't bring a shotgun to meet a stranger at your front door.
Also can't beat the proficiency of a shotgun/rifle with a pistol.
>>
>>30121625
The one time I kept the shotty next to me while answering the door for a man I didn't know, he was FBI. It could have gone worse.
>>
>>30116867
Both.
>>
File: 141730289019.gif (827 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
141730289019.gif
827 KB, 320x240
>>30120675
>>
>>30116932

The reason you never see home security systems mentioned is because all of /k/ secretly hopes for a chance to use their hd weapons
>>
>>30117236
>>30116932

On the subject of home security and alarm systems, what the shit like ADT where they call the police?
Like, you set the alarm off, they call your house to see if someone who's gonna answer the phone is there, and you're supposed to give them a password.
South Park did a whole episode making fun of that concept, where he's yelling at the guy who called him because he could be an intruder just stalling while pretending to look for the password and in the meantime he's stealing shit and raping his mom.

How do they actually handle that situation? Is there like a time limit they have to give the password before they dial the police? What happens when the police actually show up?
>>
>>30117421

>2)Zero spread at room distances

Pistols have even less spread, anon. Spread isn't really something you need to worry about. In fact, less spread isn't a bad thing at all in this case.
>>
>>30116867
I use a Ruger 10/22 with a the BX25 round mag. for home defense...if I need anything bigger I can use my .45LC Ruger Redhawk as back up
>>
>>30121902
I have Cameras for outside of the property. plus the side paths on my house are covered in rock gravel so you can hear them coming.
>>
>>30120675

You're supposed to be 18 to post here, kid.
>>
>>30121963
>.22 for home defense

Well, that's a bit silly imo but as long as you're a good shot under pressure and you remember shot placement that should work.
>>
>>30116867
Handguns are much smaller, so if you happen to be in a small space you'll still be able to aim properly.
>>
>>30116932
>home security systems
A monitored system with an alarm and callback is a must. These guys call you usually within 30 seconds of the alarm going off, and if things don't add up, police shows up on a very short notice - it's a verified emergency with a possible active shooter involved.
>>
>>30117580
You're talking out of your ass.

Imagine waking up from falling onto your ceiling and clawing desperately into your bed trying to stay on it - that's how it feels like.
>>
>>30120377
You forgot; Pay $200 tax stamp for SBR'd glawk.
>>
>>30120902
The latinization of the Japanese word for weapons starts with the letter k.
>>
>>30121902
>secretly
>>
>>30117179
pistols are waaaay louder.

>Sound is pressure
>Pressure comes from round
>Shotgun shell pressure are limited to 12K psi via SAAMI standards
>Pistol run upwards of 40K

My 357sig is around 40,000psi case pressure. 45acp is about half that but still twice as pressurized as the strongest 12ga. Small variations in decibel distortion are attributed to barrel length and concentration of pressure waves (compensaters).
>>
>>30117549
see
>>30122467

shotguns aren't even in the same category
>>
>>30120529
im sure your neighbors will appreciate you filling their house with holes. noise is the least of your worries.
>>
>>30121499
I miss when /k would talk about weapons and tactics not just endlessly shitpost for fun and human interaction. Look up weapon light tactics You'll learn alot.
>>30121832
Other than the bears and fighting that post was pretty much spot on.
>>30121992
Says the man child still living with mommy.

Nice refutation guy. Stay classy /k.
>>
>>30120449
You seen the movie I am legend?

When he's going in the building after his dog. Watch what he does with his weapon light. Same thing I described.
>>
>>30117576

Pistols penetrate more than 00 buck, which penetrates more than 5.56

You've been enlightened.
>>
>>30121499
So learning and practicing tactics that might one day save my life is being a tryhard?

I do try hard to learn and practice and I push myself as hard and fast as I can when training. I havnt gone "plinking" in like 2 years. Once you start getting good and see the tenths start shaving off the shot timer and your groups tighten it really is a major boost to confidence. Confidence is a good thing. Confidence also gets you laid.

I guess a show of effort makes the weak feel uneasy.

I bet your anti OC too. Faggot.
>>
>>30120988
>good luck arguing that one in court

>if I want to defend myself I would not want to damage mine or any innocent bystanders hearing more than I have to

or does everyone think suppressors = assassin
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.