[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Special forces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9
File: Gunznshite.jpg (2 MB, 3488x2604) Image search: [Google]
Gunznshite.jpg
2 MB, 3488x2604
Will you guys red pill me on the major differences and responsibilities of:
> SEALS/UDT
> Delta
> Rangers
> Green Berets

Why might someone join one over the other?
>>
>>30086799
>SEALS
Counter-terrorism, hostage rescue, kill missions, etc

>Delta
Counter-terrorism, hostage rescue, kill missions, etc

>Rangers
Basically ultra-infantry, direct action shit

>Green Berets
Usually helps train foreign forces/resistance fighters to fight against our enemies
>>
>>30086834
What does MARSOC/Raiders do?
>>
>>30086799

the major difference is SEAL's all become attention whoring fantasists
>>
>>30086899
Is that before or after they transition?
>>
>>30086873
Mostly they try to get taken seriously by greater SOCOM. And not.
>>
>>30086873
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Raider_Regiment
>>
>Rangers
Infantry plus who can't swim but can jump out of planes. Better trained and motivated than infantry.
>SEALs
Rangers who can swim but who cannot take airfields for some reason.
>Delta
Rangers+. No, seriously. They do more complex stuff, but they're basically the muscle called in after Gray Fox etc do intensive intelligence work.
>DEVGRU
Delta who can swim. Used to be the black sheep of the special operations world because of the kind of drunken shenanigans they used to pull. Got a lot of good publicity after the Bin Laden kill.
>Green Berets/Special Forces
They go in. They train the locals. They fight the locals battles. Sometimes they do direct action stuff when they're handy.
>Scarlet Berets/Gray Berets/Special Tactics
They jump, they swim, they operate independently, or in small teams, or as attached to other special operations forces. Most people have never heard of them. They do everything the others do plus direct air traffic control, call in air-strikes, and prepare covert airfields.
>Maroon Berets/PJs
Other SOF fuck up, these guys shoot their way in, grab them, stabilize them, and get them out.
>Det 1 MACOS
They're Special Tactics+. You've definitely never heard of them unless you pay the fuck attention.

Brief summary of the guys who do ground work.
>>
>>30087025

Oh, and >>30086873

>First Recon ooops I mean MARSOC

Off-brand SEALS who don't get utilized. Red headed stepchild of SOF.
>>
>>30087039

>First

*Force
>>
>>30087025
Wow, thanks m8.
Where would you suggest I get more info from?

Also, if I were to get a degree in physics or Enge, which route would be the best to go?
>>
>>30087135
>get possibly useful degree
>piss it away for shit pay

topkek
>>
>>30087025

did you make this up
>>
>>30087135

>Physics or Engineering

You'd probably be better off being an Air Force pilot honestly.

>more info

Read books.
>>
>>30087199
Ill move into the private sector after serving....
>>
>>30087230

Nope.
>>
File: 1384021710881.jpg (83 KB, 628x960) Image search: [Google]
1384021710881.jpg
83 KB, 628x960
>>30086799
>SEALs
write books and wear flip flops like it's cool
>Delta
Counter terror, hostage rescue, assassination
>Rangers
They do a mix of gangsta shit (DA) and post office guarding
>Green Berets
FID(outguerrilla-ing the guerrillas), "advising" local populations, recce, DA and CT.
>>
>>30086834
Vanilla SEAL teams are not tasked with hostage rescue unless the circumstances are truly dire. That is a job for DEVGRU. Just like how nobody is asking SF ODAs to do hostage rescue, because that is a job for CAG (exceptions being CIF teams). Also counter-terrorism as a tasking is not well defined and is slightly redundant. When the term counter-terrorism first became a commonly defined organizational tasking, it referred to hostage rescue, Iranian embassy style, not blowing up talibs with JDAMs.
>>
>>30087230
Yes basically. Trying to even compare 75th Rangers with CAG and DEVGRU is pretty laughable, and pretending STS guys are capable of doing everything the other guys do is a fucking joke. Also not having the slightest idea what PJs actually do in reality.
>>
>>30088451

There's a reason why former Rangers make up the bulk of CAG breh. Most of CAG's mission set is a much more complex variation of DA, which includes things like snatching and grabbing former serbian war criminals. DEVGRU is like CAG.

STS can get attached to anything and have to pull their weight. Get attached to DA? You're doing DA. Get attached to FID? You're coordinating airpower while your green counterparts coordinate the locals. Get attached to counterterror? You're doing counterterror shit.

>slightest idea what PJs actually do

Enlighten us oh swami.

>inb4 hurr glorified medics
>>
>>30087586
>Ill move into the private sector after serving....
>allow your knowledge to become obsolete while making far less money

you are an idiot
>>
>>30088572
>literally no actual idea what's going on

>There's a reason why former Rangers make up the bulk of CAG breh. Most of CAG's mission set is a much more complex variation of DA, which includes things like snatching and grabbing former serbian war criminals. DEVGRU is like CAG.

Sure, hostage rescue (CAG's literal main tasking) is just like airfield seizure and direct action raids. Sounds about right. That's like saying the SAS is basically the same thing as Paras.

>STS can get attached to anything and have to pull their weight. Get attached to DA? You're doing DA. Get attached to FID? You're coordinating airpower while your green counterparts coordinate the locals. Get attached to counterterror? You're doing counterterror shit.

That's retarded. Just because a PJ from the 24STS is attached to Dev or CAG doesn't mean they're going to send him through the door first. More likely he's pulling security by the vehicles, along with the ground force commander and the medics, waiting in case someone gets shot. Same with a JTAC, he's not going to get put in the stack unless the situation goes sideways, they want him next to the ground force commander so they can quickly call CAS if something comes up. As for FID, PJs and CCTs/JTACs/TACPs definitely don't have the language and rapport building training SF guys get. Their special skills aren't even something that guerrillas need to learn. So if you call patrolling and calling for airstrikes FID, then I guess they do FID, but in reality that's like saying Marine line infantry can do FID because they have to teach Afghans how to do jumping jacks.

>Enlighten us oh swami. (PJs)
Nobody is paradropping PJs onto a site directly into a gunfight onto a site where another SOF element got the shit shot out of it. The QRF is going to take care of the gunfighting, the PJs know how to shoot but are not solely responsible for the security.
>>
>>30086799
What Green Berets do sounds way cooler than what other SOF guys do to be honest. Do a lot of Green Berets get scouted by the CIA? Political subversion sounds right up their alley.
>>
>>30088666

Your problem is that you have a wholly different conceptual model than I do. You just explained 3-4 things back to me that I had already stated with more or less different wording, but drawing an entirely different sort of conclusion from it.

Also you threw in a number of bullshit scenarios that SOF almost never gets into just to dilute my points. Effective rhetoric to the unlearned.
>>
>>30086799
>SEALS
Direct Action, Intelligence Gathering, Sneaky Breaky
>Delta
Hostage Rescue, Targeted Killings, Direct Action
>Rangers
Airfield seizures, large scale direct action
>Green Berets
6 months of every 12 months deployed, training foreign resistance fighters, foreign armies, forming militias. Every continent.

>>30086873
>MARSOC
MARSOC is interesting. They were formed because JSOC kept pushing the USMC for a unit, the USMC hated the idea. They took a large chunk of Force Recon, gave them extensive training, formed the Raiders. Then when the Raiders went to trials (Under SEAL supervision), the USMC purposely fucked the logistics line and left them completely fucked and looking like retards. They were kicked out of theater by Afghanistan shortly thereafter.

The USMC is retarded and likes the fuck themselves over in the name of "pride".
>>
>>30088713

>SEALs
>Intelligence gathering

top kek
>>
>>30088725
In theory, alright? DEVGRU for instance has a team that is basically there for intelligence gathering. Not saying they're the brightest guys, but it is part of their mission
>>
>>30088741

yeah and their masters degree in international relations makes them erudite scholars too
>>
>>30088741

Thought that was covered by the Activity and ISR.
>>
>>30086834
Rangers work a lot with other SOF as well, because they're well trained and basically more bodies with guns that can be quickly briefed to do a job. Honestly, if you can't hack it when trying to make delta or SF, going as a ranger will still let you hang with the cool guys and do a bunch of cool guy shit.
>>
>>30088706
Your "different wording" was blatantly misleading and implies a lack of deeper knowledge past what you got out of two or three old ass books.

For one, it's obvious you've never heard of CAG or DEVGRU's intelligence capabilities, or their AFO work. How is sending a singleton into the mountains of Afghanistan, dressed in local garb and packing an AK "Rangers+"?

As for "bullshit scenarios" how is a basic direct action raid a "bullshit scenario"? On a target it's obvious that you aren't going to send your medic or your JTAC into a target building unless it's already been cleared or you have no real choice. Just like the ground force commander is going to stay outside and keep situational awareness, the 24th STS attachments are going to do the same. They will get issued guns and gear from the unit they attach to, and they will attend some of the same training, but to pretend they operate at the same level in DA raids is laughable.

And again, saying the AFSOC guys know how to do FID because they can be attached to SF teams is a joke. That's like saying a CA guy attached to Rangers is able to do DA and airfield seizure. No he's not, he's trained to do his own job and they trust in his ability to physically keep up and to probably not get shot.
>>
>>30088831

CAG and DEVGRU don't typically conduct intelligence, but members with specialized training might be rotated into Activity work. That's a different mission subset.

>Basic direct action raid

When did CAG or DEVGRU go in with so many non-ranger men that they were leaving guards with vehicles while doing their shit, much less had vehicles along unless they were doing shit that SF SHOULD be doing.

>Know how to do FID

I said sent on FID. That means they're in the same shithole except they coordinate the airpower end while their counterparts coordinate the locals. Which is almost verbatim what I said upthread.

>Get attached to FID? You're coordinating airpower while your green counterparts coordinate the locals

And then you gave this laughable argument

>Their special skills aren't even something that guerrillas need to learn. So if you call patrolling and calling for airstrikes FID, then I guess they do FID, but in reality that's like saying Marine line infantry can do FID because they have to teach Afghans how to do jumping jacks.

Except you don't embed fucking marines with SF, now do you?

I get it buddy, you don't like the Air Force. No need to beat around the bush.
>>
>>30088900
>rotated into Activity work
This is how I know you don't know shit. The "Activity" (nobody calls it that anymore except 2-bit thriller writers, the cute nickname now is "the army of west virginia") specializes in electronic intelligence gathering, SIGINT type stuff. When it comes to getting the intelligence operators actually need to plan hits, you really can't trust some guy whose job is to listen to radios to go out and collect that shit.

>When did CAG or DEVGRU go in with so many non-ranger men that they were leaving guards with vehicles while doing their shit, much less had vehicles along unless they were doing shit that SF SHOULD be doing.

This is basic DA 101 shit, nigga. You fucking roll in, establish blocking positions on the corners of the target building, dismount the entry team(s), and hit the building. The ground force commander, his AF attachments, and the black side security element stay outside, you dumb fuck. You don't dismount every single operator and run a train pell-mell through the building, because then Jihadi Johnny will just run out the fucking back door while you smash and crash through the building.

>I get it buddy, you don't like the Air Force. No need to beat around the bush.
All I can say is if you ask an actual AFSOC guy, he will definitely not bullshit you saying "They do everything the others do plus direct air traffic control, call in air-strikes, and prepare covert airfields." They actually know what they are and aren't capable of, unlike you.
>>
>>30088947

Thought it was the army of north virginia. Though I haven't heard that term bandied since, like '06.

>FOG only does SIGINT

They actually do all source intelligence.

>Dismount entry teams

I wasn't aware that airborne light infantry perpetually operated as mechanized infantry... oh wait, because they fucking don't unless they're stuck doing shit that other units should be doing, which during our current climate is likely, but throws your point out the window.

>capable of everything

I worded that ambiguously, but we're speaking open endedly. They might get sent to accompany any mission set, and have to deal with its challenges while lending their own skill set m8. Just like not every green beret is going to tell Pashtuns what to do, or be doing field medic shit. But everyone, from TACP to medic to translator is going to be fucking shooting during combat if the unit gets into it.
>>
>>30089006
>I wasn't aware that airborne light infantry perpetually operated as mechanized infantry... oh wait, because they fucking don't unless they're stuck doing shit that other units should be doing, which during our current climate is likely, but throws your point out the window.

Basically you're implying that all the CAG DA raids they did in Iraq are "shit that other units should be doing." That's just a retarded argument. You realize these guys rolled in HMMWVs to a shit ton of hits, right? This is not a tactic that someone forced on them, this is something they actually did because it fucking works. How else would you propose they get to the target location on a urban DA raid? Teleportation?

>I worded that ambiguously, but we're speaking open endedly. They might get sent to accompany any mission set, and have to deal with its challenges while lending their own skill set m8. Just like not every green beret is going to tell Pashtuns what to do, or be doing field medic shit. But everyone, from TACP to medic to translator is going to be fucking shooting during combat if the unit gets into it.

And by challenges you mean being physically able to keep up and to be able to fire a weapon if necessary. These are literally the challenges every single infantryman faces. Again, Navy SEALs have been forced to do FID on occasion. That's not any indication they are any good at it or even that they're trained for it. The skills you need to build rapport with untrustworthy and sneaky warlords are definitely not something you get from SQT.
>>
>>30088741
I believe you are talking about DEVGRU black squadron.
>>
>>30089075

>CAG DA raids in Iraq

That should be someone else's job. Just like DEVGRU shouldn't have been hitting an airfield in Grenada. Doing building raids in an occupied city probably should not be something that JSOC is responsible for in an active war zone.

>challenges every single infantrymen faces

I wasn't aware that every infantryman was, again, parachuted in with green berets to coordinate locals with airpower. Shit man, you're reeaaaally hung up over some very specific particulars.

>that silence on everything else

What, you've got nothing more to say about the "army of west virginia"and how I don't know anything because I don't know that it's called the army of north virginia, or at least used to be? Hell man, you didn't even know that ISA does all-source intelligence, particularly HUMINT since they prep over and above what ISR does because SOF missions are so intelligence intensive.
>>
>>30089123
>That should be someone else's job. Just like DEVGRU shouldn't have been hitting an airfield in Grenada. Doing building raids in an occupied city probably should not be something that JSOC is responsible for in an active war zone.
Then which DA raids should CAG even be doing? I guess you can't think of any CAG-worthy raids unless they HALO in and breach a skylight to make entry? Or maybe if they disguise themselves as the pizza delivery guy, that's good enough? Fact of the matter is the typical DA raid is not some ninja hollywood shit. Yes CAG builds on these methods by using helis and a high team but establishing black side security and posting blocking positions is a literal fundamental that nobody will ignore, no matter how high speed they are.

>I wasn't aware that every infantryman was, again, parachuted in with green berets to coordinate locals with airpower. Shit man, you're reeaaaally hung up over some very specific particulars.
>missing the point this hard
The AFSOC guy's job is to keep up, not die, and call for air. This is basically 0% of the FID mission. As for MFF insertion not all SF ODAs even have that capability, there's a reason SF guys specify whether they were on a HALO team or not.

>What, you've got nothing more to say about the "army of west virginia"and how I don't know anything because I don't know that it's called the army of north virginia, or at least used to be? Hell man, you didn't even know that ISA does all-source intelligence, particularly HUMINT since they prep over and above what ISR does because SOF missions are so intelligence intensive.
Don't get fresh with me, you've cherry picked and ignored literally inaccurate statements I just quoted back to you. I never even said that the ISA was SIGINT only, just that this was specialty of theirs. How about you tell me how SEALs are totally just as good at FID as SF guys are, after all they've done the FID mission, and anyone who's there must be as good as any other guy, right?
>>
>>30089169

>Then which DA raids should CAG even be doing?

The ones that rangers or Army and Marine infantrymen cannot do rather than just doing missions in a war zone to have shit to do.

I do not consider Southern Afghanistan to be a great success for JSOC.

>0% of the FID mission

It was half of Northern Afghanistan, with GBs doing the other half. Northern Alliance couldn't have held much less advanced without tightly coordinated airpower. The Scarlets did their part while the Greens did their part, and they didn't have so much manpower that the JTACs could "sit back with the CO" and not fight. Same as any mission with small teams.

>Don't get fresh with me

Ima be fresh as hell with the feds watching.

>I never said that ISA was SIGINT only

How about

>The "Activity" (nobody calls it that anymore except 2-bit thriller writers, the cute nickname now is "the army of west virginia") specializes in electronic intelligence gathering, SIGINT type stuff. When it comes to getting the intelligence operators actually need to plan hits, you really can't trust some guy whose job is to listen to radios to go out and collect that shit.

You stated that they specialized in SIGINT and stated that they aren't trusted to do the intelligence work that muh operators need done, except that their raison d'etre in the modern era is quite literally to do the intelligence work that SOF, particularly JSOC, needs done. Either you didn't know or you deliberately misrepresented what you did know. Doesn't matter to me since you're just some dude on a Laotian mural appreciation usenet, but come on. I can literally quote your shit back to you as a reply. Don't be a moving target.

>chrry picked and ignored literally inaccurate statements

STTs can't do EVERYTHING that everyone else can do, but they might be called upon to pitch in with their own skillsets. Didn't know you were such a literalist, but I should expect autism on 4chan.
>>
>>30089169
>>30089225

this is more gay than /y/
>>
>14 year olds who watch G.I. joe the thread
>>
>>30088699
I imagine so. The transition they go through at the Farm would be way easier since they've already been trained for deep cover, integration, etc.
How ever they probably wouldn't go OGA though. they would solely stick with clandestine units who take minimal physical action, because that's what they're good at.
>>
>>30087025

some guys in my squadron have done some training (as in, we drop simulated JDAMs) with the 724 STG.
>>
>>30088666

dub dubs and trips.

a friend of mine who was a CCT before he commissioned into something else that let him spend more time with his family said that when he was attached to a SF A team, he'd figure out aerial deconfliction while kicking in doors with the rest of the team.
>>
Spent my afternoon in the Weapon shop of the Danish Jægerkorps/ Hunter Corps in relation to some training. Heres some pics for anyone interested
>>
>>30094324
>>
>>30087025
Literally pants-on-head retarded
>>
>>30094330
>>
>>30088713
>Every continent

KEK

Good luck here whitey
>>
not op

are the physical fitness requirements they same across the board and if so does anyone have a cheat/reference sheet giving a rough estimation of what they are?

I play D1 baseball and am in good shape, but I'm not sure how sports fitness compares to military fitness?
>>
File: 1443875791313.png (127 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1443875791313.png
127 KB, 480x480
>>30086799
>SEALS/UDT
Work out on the beach, write books and do cool guy shit like hop out of airplanes
>Delta
literally whos, nobody knows and nobody cares
>Rangers
Party hard like fratbros, get into DUI accidents and break their legs kicking too many doors
>Green Berets
Teach retarded Afghani inbreds how to do jumping jacks, fly to hotzones and train local militias on how to not die 4 seconds in during an operation
>>
File: 1437988468386.jpg (373 KB, 1479x986) Image search: [Google]
1437988468386.jpg
373 KB, 1479x986
>>30086873
>What does MARSOC/Raiders do?

Pretend they're actually relevant and hope SOCOM senpai notices them (protip, they don't). That and get belligerently drunk then hospitalize taxi cab drivers over disputes concerning their cab fares.

I met a MARSOC operator once at Lejune and he was the most dudebro guy I've ever met. I was 90% sure he was going to beat me to a withering pulp.
>>
Special Forces: The Terminators of our Time

C'mon lad, they are a tool, just like line infantry.

But instead of being 19 year olds with bumfluff on their chins, they're a bit older and wiser.
And they're not as... expendable. Call them special purpose tools, if you will

Each branch now has their own SF, go read a few books by their former members.

Just ask yourself this: Is it a good thing that we have so many special forces units now, than we did 30 years ago?
>>
File: ss.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
>>30094435
best summary yet
>>
>>30094387

Except he's right desu
>>
Ricky must be busy doing gangster shit, he usually comes in these threads and dickslaps you silly fucks talking about what spec ops/sf/rangers do like you have a fucking clue
>>
>>30086799

>SEALS/UDT

Direct Action operations. That is to say, kicking down doors and fucking shit up with their fancy equipment.

>Delta

Similar to Navy SEALS, but typically assigned more sensitive operations.

>Rangers

Glorified infantry. Oftentimes tasked as a Rapid Reaction Force to support SF/SOF when they get into shit.

>Green Berets

Most interesting group of the bunch. They are tasked with supporting native forces in a host country. For example, Green Berets supporting the Northern Alliance fight the Taliban after 9/11.

Extra:

>Pararescue

High-speed, low drag MEDEVAC dudes from the USAF

>MARSOC

Redundant group that doesn't know if it's SEALS or Green Berets.
>>
File: 1364935319913.jpg (123 KB, 786x574) Image search: [Google]
1364935319913.jpg
123 KB, 786x574
>>30086799
To me they're all the same because I'll never be part of one.
>>
>>30094546
>sucking this much cock
>>
>>30095347
He's legit, unlike the rest of these greasy mouthbreathers regurgitating "facts" they read online
>>
>>30097840

sucking even harder
>>
>>30094864
You're probably right, but why not, anon?
>>
>>30094546
>>30095347
>>30097892
Anon, why do you like sucking this "rickys' cocks? Does he Oper8 all over your face and show you what it's like to be a man?
>>
>>30097993
>implying Ricky doesn't shitpost on 4chan for the express purpose of getting jerked off by 14 year old fanboys
>>
>>30094864

Never know unless you try lad.
>>
>>30088582
Military industrial complex looks after the smarter mebers. He will get a job he isn't really qualified for and do a fine job at it.
>>
>>30098075

Actually with security clearances, particularly TS, and an engineering degree he qualifies for pretty well paying jobs. I don't assume that any engineer is a dumbass until proven otherwise, so he's probably qualified.
>>
>>30098139

it's all relative

i've seen how much contracted nuclear engineers working for the navy get paid, and it's pathetic.
>>
>>30098154

Nuke engineers make baller income... but not compared to some other professions. Everything is, as you say, relative. A Major or Lt Colonel makes as much as some nuke engineers, and has more tax breaks.
>>
>>30087025
>>Det 1 MACOS
What is that?
>>
>>30098265
Top Secret. Stop asking questions.
>For your own safety.
>>
>>30098188
>mfw i make as much as a O-7 with 20 years experience, after working 12 years with a MSEE

and i don't even work in silicon valley
>>
>>30098265
Detachment 1, Military Airlift Command Operations Staff, way back in the 80s. They're the 24th STS now.
>>
>>30098325

Cool. My ex is a practicing Psychiatrist who makes us both look like fucking chumps. And Alice Walton makes little fish of us all.
>>
>>30098345
And what do they do/did?
>>
>>30098359

cool. point being, if you have a STEM degree in hand, joining the military is a terrible financial decision.
>>
>>30098371

If you're joining for the money you're fucking up anyway. Though I have heard that military medical professional programs pay for med school plus offer residency with pay... seems like a really good deal if you need help paying for your MD.
>>
>>30098368
SAR/PJ, CCT, weather information, etc. for JSOC
>>
>>30098394

taking a loan to pay for med school is a far better route, compared to pissing away five years of good earning power
>>
>>30098394

the real benefit there is that they pay your malpractice insurance.

i joined up after my MS in a STEM degree because i wanted to join. yes i'd have made more outside, but with tax breaks and all being an officer isn't too much less. also i enjoy it.
>>
>>30098410

>5 years of earning power

Med students go six figures in debt. They have a 3-5 year residency after that making 65k tops. Spending 5 years in the service to clear their debt and make comparable amounts to what residents make (check special pay for medical professionals on the table) is a pretty good deal.
>>
>>30098432

No, it is not a good deal, not even close. Residency pay is not the expected earning potential for doctors and your comparison would only apply if somehow military doctors skipped residency.

One year's income for an established practitioner covers the entire medical school debt load, two years tops for the lowest earning fields. Five years wasted in the military translates into 3 to 4 years of lost income, which is substantial.
>>
>>30098431
>pay less tax because your income is much lower

what a deal!
>>
>>30099461

you're exempt from taxes on special pay, which is about half of your paycheck. BAH, BAS, jump pay, flight pay, hazard pay, sea pay, submarine pay, etc.
>>
>>30099442

You don't seem to understand that your time practicing in the military counts as residency mate. The difference is one to two years, and get real: nobody drops their entire 200k income paying student loans which are already racking up interest while you're a resident.

For a surgeon it's a fucking great deal: they get their 5 year residency out of the way debt free with probably higher pay than a medical resident would get, plus military benefits.

>>30099461

>I don't know that large segments of military pay are tax exempt

Wanna know how I know you're a no-serve?
>>
>>30099442

Here we go

>Another concern we often hear has to do with compensation. Many believe, "Sure, the military will pay for your medical school, but they will underpay you as a doctor." This also is not necessarily true. If one chooses to do a residency in the military they will be making more money than their civilian counterparts; in some cases up to twice as much. Once they become an attending physician, they will still be making as much as some of the lower paying specialties. However, they won't have to pay malpractice insurance and won't have to pay off any debt. In the end military physicians get just as much compensation over the course of their careers as most civilian doctors. You can find details in the Pay & Benefits section of this website.

>http://www.militarygme.org/
>>
>>30099509

The difference is two years, and the amount spent to pay off loans is irrelevant: the only math that matters is the difference in earning potential from starting two years late.

>with probably higher pay than a medical resident would get

wanna know how i know you can't do math? pro-tip: two years later.
>>
>>30099604

Goddamn. Surgeons, who earn 250k, have a 5 year residency. That puts military docs way, way ahead of civilians.

For something like internal medicine that requires a 3-4 year residency it's a bit more up in the air, but this shit

>the only math that matters is the difference in earning potential from starting two years late

you know jack and shit about savings and personal finance, but that's what I'd expect from someone who has clearly read up on absolutely nothing related on the subject. You jump into conversations on things that you have major gaps in your knowledge regarding, and when someone corrects you then you get jimmies all in a twist. No real way to go through life kiddo.
>>
>>30086799
Those are all good and well, but the US, for the past [REDACTED] years, has been developing and deploying teams that appear to be the dudes playin the dudes disguised as other dudes. In reality, they get their checks from the CIA-GRS/DHS/DOD, but officially are right on the cusp of being disavowed if compromised, unless it's useful to the state to declare them foreign assets in the event of a mishap. iow, SOF funtimes gets you friends, but what happens after you "retire" is when the balls to the wall DA fun starts
>>
>>30099602
>cites the sales pitch from the military

Here you go. This guy claims its a wash:

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/personal-finance/should-i-join-the-military-to-pay-for-medical-school/

Note that this was written in 2011 when interest rates were higher than now, and does not address the headache of dealing with the bureaucracy:

https://halfmd.wordpress.com/2007/12/17/the-military-match-results-are-in-no-one-cares/
>>
>>30099671

>quotes some blog about one dude's experience
>also not getting that a wash means it doesn't matter either way
>so much for that "negative opinion"
>>
>>30099691
>implying a wash is "military docs way, way ahead of civilians"

Note the wash is in regards to the current situation, he also says the finances were massively tilted against the military program when he participated in it.

Then there's the cost of being fucked by the residency match program, which you ignore.

>so much for that "negative opinion"
>putting quote marks on something you only said yourself
>>
>>30099724

For a five year residency it does, but oh well. You're already convinced of something.
>>
>>30094500
Oh, i know who you are.
>>
>>30099763

heh

https://halfmd.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/financial-analysis-of-the-health-professions-scholarship-program/

>After just three years in practice, the civilian route wins. If these two surgeons practice medicine for the same amount of time, the military doctor will never catch up.
>>
Last time an airfield seizure was conducted was in the early 2000s. Rangers have been doing raids most of the time during gwot based on lest we forget and violence of action
>>
>>30099839

on the other hand, the flight doc in my squadron, a former ER doc who entered as a Lt Col, loves his job because he gets to fly fighters. he racks up as many hours as he can.

so there is something to be said about joining the military. not all of us join out of a pure economic decision... but if it's out there, why not make the system work for you even to some extent?
>>
>>30088785

People who "can't hack it in CAG or SF" don't get sent to the 75th.

Its not like SWIC back in the days. People who join the 75th are mostly 18 year olds who aren't even allowed to attend the Q course. A lot of them join SF later or try out for CAG. most of cag, are former rangers.
>>
>>30100224
I think he was trying to say that the Ranger route is a easier path to get into SOF, not that people who fail selection get sent to the 75th.
>>
>>30100224
What is SWIC?
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.