[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/ Military Enlistment General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
/Brag About Your PT Gains Edition/

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about Air Force recruiters. Just keep it contained to this general.
>>
Past 6 months

2 miles run 20:00->14:00
Pushups 5->55
Situps ??-> 70

Another year before I finish undergrad anyway so I think I'm doing pretty good.
>>
>tfw it hurts to run
>tfw training command
>tfw I have to run for my prt
>tfw I would need to burn 60 callories to pass my prt on bike/eliptical
Being a scrawny bitch sucks.
>>
>Used to be cross-country runner
>Got fat
>Losing fat
>Getting back to sub 15 3 mile
>Shooting for CCT

Don't let your dreams be memes
>>
>>30083406
Nice. man. I wanna be STO. After I graduate college ofcourse.

>Getting back to sub 15 3 mile
Is that a typo? sub 5 min mile on average for 3 straight miles wtf??
Teach me your ways!
>>
Leaving for Navy BMT in 4 days, what do I bring?
>>
>>30083255
Jesus Christ how overweight were you when you started?
>>
>>30084027
Good luck.

Come back and share stories and describe it when you get back.
>>
>>30084040
So what do I bring with me?
>>
I am entering month six of what I was told would be a 6-12 month process of commissioning in the Air Force. It is looking like I won't go to ots until January now.

Anyone have any interesting stories? I am rapidly losing interest in this and I am trying to keep up the hype until I get the news.
>>
>>30084051

What your recruiter told you to bring.
>>
>>30084036
Not overweight, just got lazy after high-school, smoking drinking and being a fuccboi all the time.
>>
>>30084027
Lube
>>
>>30083586

You run. A lot. And keep on running until you get gud. There are techniques to build up to it and to conserve energy over the distance, but they don't help as much as you'd think compared to the basic obstacle of running a lot. It's normal for competitive runners to run 5ks at 15 or 15 mins.
>>
File: thinking about dubs.jpg (52 KB, 383x465) Image search: [Google]
thinking about dubs.jpg
52 KB, 383x465
Why are there so many large signs and posters about Domestic Violence on every military base?

That's fucking odd.
>>
>>30084471
Because they let women serve.
>>
>>30084471

Because even though domestic abuse happens at a lower rate in the military than among the civilian population, some redneck beating his wife in base housing feeds into the military stereotype and makes civilians think that it happens all the time.

They're just trying to do something to get the numbers lower than they are so that crazy policies don't get instituted.
>>
I work out for two hours a day.

I do cardio for an hour and lift for an hour.

I see my veins more and am more vascular, but I don't feel like I'm losing weight and I keep increasing weight on the scale.

So I'm not quite sure if I need to go see a doctor or something. I seem to be also suffering from bloating all the time.

I just want to drop 10lbs to be in weight for OCS. It's stange because most days I know I don't consume over 2k calories.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>30085033

All I can say is to make certain that you're consuming the calories that you think you are, not just eyeballing it. I doubt you're only of the 0.001% or whatever of people who have thyroid issues, you would've had other health problems by now which you would've seen a doctor for and been diagnosed, so your diet is the only thing it could be.

If you're not a poorfag I recommend a weight control program like jenny craig so that you can feel with certainty what it is like to be consuming 2000/1700/etc calories. They also set you up with an actual nutritionist to teach you about all kinds of helpful shit.

I too was a fatfag until I got on that program. I'm 6' 4" and was eating ~2300 calories a day as well as working out like a motherfucker; I was maintaining 241 lbs and like 28% body fat because although I was under my allotted calories I was eating shit food with little nutritional value like burgers, hot dogs and doritos.
>>
Which Air Force or Army MOS should I aim for? Mechanical engineering student heading to recruiter next week.
>>
>>30086118
69BJ, Warpspeed Cocksucker.

Always a need for those who fellate with the quickness.

Be all that you can be, anon.
>>
>>30086118

Just be fucking 11FX.
>>
Can someone post that pic with running/push-ups /swim schedules?
>>
>>30083236
were recruitment centers supposed to be closed today?

i went to drop off some documents but no one was there.
>>
>>30087590
They have some weird hours. Give em a call next time. Also, some stations may not take walk-ins, what with the guy shooting one up a couple years ago.
>>
>>30087652
they take walk ins, maybe they have a 4 day weekend?
>>
File: IMG_20160527_141159.jpg (2 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160527_141159.jpg
2 MB, 1944x2592
>>30086118
1A8X1
1N3X1
35x
Join me out here.
>>
>naval station great lakes

just fuck my shit up senpai Yokosuka cannot come any faster
>>
File: 1463005548895.png (388 KB, 1038x1864) Image search: [Google]
1463005548895.png
388 KB, 1038x1864
>>30084027
>>30084051
When i went we didnt have to bring anything senpai.
>>30086526
I got you senpai
>>30087853
>Yokosuka cannot come any faster
It was awesome there when i was there. You in a school?
>>
>>30087858

Yeah I class up to ATT this coming Tuesday after being on holds for a month. They told me I classed up and then I classed back down.

They gave me a meritorious advancement too so I'll look forward to pick that up when I arrive
>>
>>30087858
Thanks kohai
>>
File: 1463006393443.png (340 KB, 1002x1572) Image search: [Google]
1463006393443.png
340 KB, 1002x1572
>>30087890
Np, part 2 inbound.
>>30087888
Its been awhile, what rate are you? ET? FC?
>>
>>30087900

EM t b h
>>
>>30087903
Ah i gotchu. Did you choose that rate on purpose? I only ask cause engineering rates are pretty tough t b h.
>>
>>30087933

Placeholder rate until my age waivers cleared for Nuke. They didn't clear. Looking to cross to CTN when the time comes though.
>>
>>30087963
>CTN
Great choice. Hard to get and hard to pass but youre set once you get it. Are you saying you want to go Nuke first then CTN though? That sounds impossible bro.
>>
>>30087963

They're not going to let you leave Nuke, ever.

If you want CTN, you have to do it before you ship.
>>
>>30087999
>>30088006

I'm non-nuke EM. I WAS nuke but age waivers didn't clear so I never got to Goose Creek.

Any advice for switching rates or getting a new job? I know SWOSU won't let me out of my contract despite being way over qualified and not a school drop out
>>
>>30088045
>I WAS nuke but age waivers didn't clear
I see
>>30088045
>Any advice for switching rates or getting a new job?
You honestly wont be doing that anytime soon man. You are gonna have to get to your ship and put in some time as an EM, im talking a few years. At least until your first enlistment runs out or you rotate off the ship. Talk to your Career Counselor on board and see what he can do for you. Dont expect a miracle though.
>>
File: 1463414861116.png (45 KB, 341x300) Image search: [Google]
1463414861116.png
45 KB, 341x300
>Advanced to PO3 on a 7.8% quota

Dreams do come true, boys.
>>
Everyday I wake up on holds waiting to transfer to damneck in one of the worst barracks on tsc great lakes. Really cant wait to leave here.
>>
>>30088080

lol wat beq
>>
>>30088087
634. The NMTIs are the shit. They treat me like they have known me for hears but its 80 degrees in my room
>>
>>30088060

Looking into Officer as well. Enough credits for a degree but I just have to work it all out.
>>
>>30088094

631 here. godspeed getting the fuck out of here anon.
>>
>>30088074
rate?
>>30088095
Not a bad idea. They can be tricky to pull off once you are in. Spots are very competitive. Most Enlisted to Officers i met while i was in were LDOs.
>>
>>30088106
I have been here for a year send help
>>
>>30084102
Yeah, I'm honestly losing interest in enlisting too. Waiting on next meps thing. This shit takes too long, then they wonder why there are so many dep losses.

I might just try to get into law enforcement fuck this shit. Dr. Drycunt wins.
>>
Still running.
Doing a 7.1 MPH pace now.
Is training on a treadmill going to fuck me over? How will I regulate my speed when I get off of it?
>>
>>30089393

Running on a treadmill isn't quite the same as running off of one. Do you set it to have at least some incline? If not it's going to fuck you harder.

>How do I regulate my speed when I get off it?

That's something that you just learn over time.

>7.1 MPH pace now

You know what a fartlek is? It's where you walk for a period of time, then jog, then run hard, then slow down and walk again, repeating the cycle. It's how you build up endurance when you can't run a full thing.
>>
>>30089423
I'll have to remember to add an incline.
I feel like I'm at a good spot endurance-wise. I run my two miles at 7.1 without slowing, then usually continue on for another two alternating fast walking and running.
I just need to get faster.
>>
>>30089446

You aren't exactly in cross country shape m8. You should probably be shooting for a 3 mile in under 20 minutes before you push down towards 18 minutes.
>>
>>30089449
Do I need to be in cross country shape? I'm just training to pass the APFT. I'm not going to Airborne, or any other special junk.
>>
>>30089458

You can pay the toll now and get in shape, or you can pay it in basic. What do you prefer?
>>
>>30089466
Perhaps I'm underestimating the kind of shape they expect you to be in after basic? What else do they require you to do running-wise?
>>
>>30089493

Not my thrust. Your performance level presently near adequate, but only just. On the other hand if you push now and get into substantially better shape you'll have an easier time of it later.
>>
>>30089520
I gotcha.
Yea, I have a long way to go. Thanks for the advice.
>>
How old is too late to join?
>>
>people talking about running 3 miles in 15 minutes

I do a mile in 10 minutes pretty solidly and go to BMT in August. How fucked am I? I'm only going in as 2A6X1, but possibly branch into SF (yeah, I know, haha). Been in the gym every day working on running distance, not so much on time.
>>
>>30090110

>A mile in ten minutes

Christ anon.
>>
>>30090130
desu it's more of a jog, I'm not even out of shape it's just been forever since I ran. What's the required time?
>>
>>30090130
>>30090153
Ran 3 miles today, I think the problem is I might be running to music. About to go run another one right now and time myself.

Maximum effort, lads.
>>
>>30083255
How'd you do it? I'm enlisting in two years, and I really need to get my fitness up. (NO I'M NOT A FATTY)
>>
>>30090185
Yee, so by not listening to music I got a 7 minute mile. Decent enough?

Definitely not listening to music anymore, I can tell this way is a better workout.
>>
File: 20160528_042027.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160528_042027.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Took these to answer a question 15ish minutes ago. Soon to be (hopefully) second generation SO. AMA
>>
>>30084027
Bring literally nothing, maybe a watch.
>>
File: 1452665248244.jpg (413 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452665248244.jpg
413 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /k/.

Did MEPS on Tuesday.

Everything went fine except I failed the TAPAS.

How do I pass?

I failed the will do by 30 whole points. I needed 90 to pass but I got 61. I have a GED so I need to pass. I have an 85 on the ASVAB but they didn't give a fuck. Do I lie or do I answer honestly? When I took it the first time I did a mix of both.
>>
>>30090525
SEAL contract ez to get?

What kind of physical aptitude should I be at before signing on? (in general, run time/swim, weights, w/e)
>>
>>30090575
Answer honestly.
The test is super easy, and if the real you isn't a fit for the army/your best thinking can't cheat the system... Then me thinks you should consider other options.
Did you pick the Captain America answers?
>>
>>30090664
I am honestly pretty lazy. I don't know what I would do though if I couldn't be a soldier at least once in my life. I can work hard when I need to. I like to work hard. It's just that I never have the drive most of the time but I think I would in the Army. But the TAPAS doesn't agree.

The main issue was that I didn't go big or go home with my Captain America answers. I answered partially honestly and partially what they wanted to hear. Next time I will go Full Captain America.
>>
is it a good idea to join the military if my life sucks and i have a literal death wish?
>>
I'm doing Canadian basic training right now. Ask me anything.
>>
Any of you navyfags here buy boots other than bates? I just bought the 800t bevellie ill post results when I get them. Any recomendations that are cheaper than those so I know what to look for next time?
>>
>>30090969
Maybe. When you say your life sucks, do you mean "my parents aren't nice and I'm bored" or are you used to enduring hardships, putting up with bullshit, and maintaining your bearing through dark times?

Also, define deathwish. Are you suicidal and drink bathroom cleaners, or batshit crazy-no fucks given drive drunk flip off kids kind of deathwish?
>>
>>30090575
Huh, everyone I talked to about the TAPAS said that it's not pass/fail anymore. They didn't even show me scores or anything like that. I went to MEPS like 2 weeks ago. That shit is really dumb though.
>>
>>30091775
The fuck is tapas
>>
>>30083255
Just want to say that's some solid progress lad, congrats
>>
>>30090525

Hold on, let me go to the px and buy a trident so I can play seal too :D:D:D:D
>>
What are the chances of getting either 35G (Geospatial Intelligence Imagery Analyst) or 13T (Field Artillery Surveyor/Meteorological Crewmember) as my top choices? I'm studying GIS in college right now so I think these two fit my coursework the best in the way they directly apply to my degree.
>>
>>30092625
If you qualify, 100%. You don't have a job wish list in the Army, you choose from what's available and sign for a specific job. If it isn't open and you're smart, you wait.

I'd aim for 35G, for the clearance.
>>
>>30092625

Why not go Air Force? They actually have a path to track promising GEOINT guys into the NGA during training.

Then again the Army might have that too, I haven't seen their CFETP yet.
>>
>>30091775
It is if you have a GED. I was just there.
>>
>>30090252
Just start. Do something. I did SS and grey skull for a couple months, then added in running, started biking to school/work. Just gotta keep active, every day do something, even if its just some yoga when you get out of bed.
>>30092209
Thanks m8
>>
File: 1463428140316.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463428140316.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
Any Army ROTC officers out there?

Reservist here getting ready to contract for my MS3 year and wondering whether i should compete for an Active Duty slot or Stay Reserve, do SMP and get a guaranteed scholarship.

Seems like active is the way to go since...
-You're forced to PT
-You actually do your job
-Faster Promotions
-Benefits (Dental/Medical etc.)
-Job Security (at least for 4 years)

But the benefits of Staying reserve are...
-Im highly guaranteed the branch i choose
-Scholarship
-Staying with my current unit for the next two years
-Possibility for AGR
-I can choose what unit i get assigned to
-Flexibility in case i decide to work a government job (Police, FBI, etc.)

I do intend on staying in for the long run (20+ years) and i might not need the scholarship since Financial Aid might cover most of the costs but i would like to stay with my unit for a little while longer.

Thoughts? Id like to branch MI with Signal and Chemical being my backups but if i go active i might try out for Cyber.
>>
>>30094933
I'd say it all comes down to if you want to do stupid army fuck fuck games 24/7, or you want to live a normal life and occasionally play Army
>>
Any Brits here

Should I become a carpenter in the Royal Engineers or join the Household Cavalry?

My BARB score is 76
>>
>>30092246
you're the type of person impossible to please, if he took a picture in uniform you'd be like "LMAO STOLEN VALOR. LMAO"
paddels are a kind of souvenier for a tour of service. he covered up the inscription and the patch assosciated with the tour of service. id wager his father has a whole room full of those.
>>
>>30090635
1st phase is tough from what im told, after that you kind of have fun with it, instructors fuck with you more in 3rd phase than 2nd since 2nd phase is pool comp and they get super anal about safety, but "funny fridays" where they line everyone up and make them go in push up position while going down the line telling jokes until they make the instructors smile or laugh is pretty hysterical

PT to pass the PST with flying colors. Push ups are deceptively easy, breathing is 70% of push ups sit ups and pull ups. about 30% of swiming and running. try to get competitve about your times and dont let yourself get discouraged. if you're a fatty and know you need someone to scream at you to get in shape or stop eating doughnuts like i did then get a physical trainer or go for a rate like Hospital Corpsman where you can get in shape at boot camp and get assigned with Marines, who will get you into good shape to pass the PST.
>>
>>30092246
>>30095585
Not even that anon, but there's a big line between "impossible to please" and "unconvinced by an easily bought trinket".
>>
>>30090635
>>30095648
Theres that 6 part series from early 2000s that shows some of what bud/s is like. It may be on youtube or just do some digging online and im sure youll find it. Definitely worth a watch.
>>
Are there differences in the PT requirements between the different SOF units? Like do Green Berets and Navy Seals have to take the same final exam/ to graduate?

non-military fag here just curious how that works
>>
>>30095924
PT is a given. A guy in whatever the seal pipeline is called will probably be better than a guy in the Q course at swimming. The opposite for rucking. But PT is just about keeping the fuck up. Honestly should be the least of ones worries.
>>
>>30095924
>Are there differences in the PT requirements between the different SOF units
Absolutely, Seals are very swimming dominant obviously. Green Berets do far more Land Nav/ Long distance ruck marches.
>>
File: DSDAbIN.jpg (158 KB, 800x390) Image search: [Google]
DSDAbIN.jpg
158 KB, 800x390
>>tfw there is no war to fight
>>tfw peacetime infantry is shit

I just want to fuck shit up, whats so wrong with that?
>>
>>30095958

>Honestly should be the least of ones worries.

What is harder than the PT aspect?
>>
>>30095986
Most will say its the mental aspect. Your always cold, wet, tired, eating shitty food/MREs. Stuff like that. Its makes quitting seem more and more enjpoyable as time goes on.
>>
>>30095986
Pretty much
>>30095998

Having wet socks and shitting in MRE bags gets old very fast. Especially when you have friends that are hitting dabs and getting laid in their comfy apartments in college simultaneously.
>>
where to enlist for the highest chance of being deployed to the middle east or africa
>>
>>30096050
>Especially when you have friends that are hitting dabs and getting laid in their comfy apartments in college simultaneously.
What if I'm doing that right now and hate it? What if I want to embrace the suck?
>>
>>30096050
>Having wet socks and shitting in MRE bags gets old very fast
Agreed, thats what im saying.
>>30096057
Some special forces unit lad, from what i hear thats the only way you have a real chance of deploying at all. At least until the next war kicks off.
>>30096112
Then go for it. Its your life man.
>>
Does anyone have a copy of "Get Selected" by Major Joseph J. Martin?
>>
>>30096630
Yep, read through it once. What's up?
>>
>>30096112
Go for it. But remember me...lol.
>>
>>30096698
Just wanted a PDF so I could reach through it.
>>
>>30096795
Dont got one man sorry, i bit the bullet and just bought it. It was only like 15 bucks man. desu though i wasnt that impressed with the book. it said pretty much stuff I already knew.
>>
>>30096830
I've done quite a bit of browsing professional soldiers and googling, not worth it beyond that?
>>
File: gary.jpg (74 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gary.jpg
74 KB, 1920x1080
>Acted in local plays
>Moved up to broadway
>Interested in serving my country

They can use an actor, right? Pic related.
>>
>>30096842
I mean its pretty cheap man so id say go for it just in case but its prerry basic stuff. You gotta be mentally tough, gotta take great care of your feet, stuff like that. If you can find it online for free definitely might as well, if you got the money to spend id say why not? If you are trying out for 18x then dont leave anything to chance.
>>
Fell for the lying at MEPs meme. Lied about minor pot use. Came up in my security interview and they asked why it wasn't on my MEPs records. Pretty much can't enlist now
>>
>>30096914
Why didn't you lie during your search unity interview?
>>
>>30096914

Was it on your record? How did they know that you smoked?
>>
>>30096914
>Came up in my security interview
How? Literally everyone lies dude.
>>
>>30093693
damn do they really? I guess I might have to check into the airforce more. Do you have specific information on what job you're talking about?
>>
>>30096924
>>30096934
I lied during the interview but they found out from neighbors then asked references. Pretty much got ratted out even though I kept denying it. Didn't grant me my clearance
>>
>>30096940

1NOX is enlisted intel. 14NX is officer intel. I think both can be tracked into NGA, but I'm more familiar with the 14NX CFETP.
>>
File: bill clinton.jpg (26 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
bill clinton.jpg
26 KB, 620x388
>>30096956

>I did not inhale, but I wanted to look cool

Also

>having neighbors who ratted you out to the FBI

You know what you must do.
>>
>>30096956

Wow, fuckin narcs man
>>
File: the dark art.jpg (19 KB, 231x346) Image search: [Google]
the dark art.jpg
19 KB, 231x346
>>30096987

Actually, most narcs don't give two shits about pot. Now snitches....
>>
>>30096956
>found out from neighbors
How did your neighbors even know?
>>
>>30096997
Cause he's retarded and was hitting the bong on his porch.
>>
>>30097008
Wasn't a bong but pretty much
>>
>>30097023
"I don't know what my neighbors are talking about, I roll my own cigarettes."
>>
>>30097023
Man thats pretty fucking stupid than, almost wanna say you deserve it.
>>
File: 1464483092378-1950093457.jpg (455 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
1464483092378-1950093457.jpg
455 KB, 720x1280
>tfw out of regs on the weekends.
I miss my beard m8s
>>
>>30096848
Psyops
>>
>>30097064
It's legal in Co. Stupid part is if I just told MEPs recruiter said a waiver would have likely went through cause I have no record
>>
>>30097123

Believe it or not Psyops people have mentioned that to me.
>>
>>30097132
Ah i see, damn in that case fuck your neighbor.
>>
>>30084027
Phone, wallet.
>>
>>30097132
Did they give you the whole it's illegal federally and that's what matters speech
>>
Is it a mistake to join the Navy if I only want to get the GI Bill and maybe travel around a bit? Living on a ship seems awful and I can't run a mile. I already put in my application to the recruiter online to set up an appointment, should I back out while I still can?
>>
File: 1459991435787.png (159 KB, 600x696) Image search: [Google]
1459991435787.png
159 KB, 600x696
>>30097219
>Back out while I still can
If you're already having second thoughts and you haven't even set foot in the recruiter's office maybe the Navy isn't for you.
>>
>>30097219
No, its literally the best branch if thats what your plan is. Quality of life will all be based on the rate you get. What did you have in mind?
>>
>>30097286
Is it just an across the border thing that all recruiters are full to the brim with shit
>>
>>30097286
Yeah I'm just really indecisive..
I did the same thing with the AF a month ago, set up an appointment and everything then backed out at the last moment... I kicked myself for it because logically speaking I know the military can set me up pretty good...

I'm not sure why I do this to myself
>>
>>30097296
I like computer shit and more technical stuff, maybe electronics or information systems tech
>>
>>30097317
>computer shit
You want to be an IT or maybe some type of CT. Both are excellent rates. Good jobs and working conditions onboard ships. Do you qualify is the question, gotta get the asvab score and clearance.
>>
>>30097188
They did but it was a more of integrity and you didn't mention it so we can't trust you with a clearance now. Then MEPs found out I lied from them too cause my interview was at MEPs.
>>
Ok so what's the best way to cut threw the show recruiters put up?

Ive talked to two so far (national guard and active army) and ill ask them a yes or no question that leads down a 20 minute long road of free college and how cool it was to jump out of a plane that one time in training
>>
>>30097399
You need to walk in already knowing what you want to do. Tell them its this or nothing. If they jerk you around just go to another recruiters office.
>>
>>30097462
Ive done that the 2 times ive gone in.

the first guy was great but said he'd get in contact with me in April (he never did)

The second was the guard recruiter who pretty much straight up lied to me about how easy it would be to transfer from ng to active and wouldn't stop talking about college

Im really getting kind of irritated cause I really want to join but dont want to peel potatoes for 4 years
>>
>>30097557
>contact with me in April
Ok so go back to him whats the problem? They cant spoon feed you either man. If you want it call him.
>dont want to peel potatoes for 4 years
Most low level people do shit work, its just how it is. What MOS where you looking at?
>>
>>30097616
Idk I just thought he didn't want to talk with me

I want to become SF thats all i want to do

>don't start with all the bullshit about how I wouldn't able to do it or its not like the movies im well aware
>>
>>30097684
Mate im in the same boat so i aint gonna give you shit. Im in the process of getting 18x as well. Just call him or go back to the office. tell him you want 18x or youre gonna walk.
>>
>>30097807
Alright, Best of luck man
>>
>>30097684

Shooting for 13dxb. Never give up hope mate. The ones who give up hope can't because they won't.
>>
>>30097987
>13dxb
Whats that
>>30097952
Thx same to you
>>
>>30098115

STO.
>>
Leaving for infantry osut here in a few days and I have a little bit of poison ivy on both legs, I'm doing all I can to contain it and you gotta look real fucking hard to see it. Will the life loathers at meps hold me?
>>
>>30098666
A L O E
L
O
E
>>
Are there options to do swoopy shit in the reserves or guard?

15T crewdog with 4 years enlisted, I'm out going to school now. What sort of cool shit could I potentially do if I managed to commission in the guard/reserves?
>>
>>30083236
How does it feel being a glorified welfare queen? When you're deployed you risk your lives for nothing, while your girlfriend is getting banged by many different men. Disgusting.
>>
>>30096889
bought it, not worth the price,,, but there is some extremely useful tid-bits about the culture and taking care of your feet.

Very quick read, I recommend you spend a week reading it and return it if you're short on cash. But i personally kept it coz I might go back to it at another time.. up to you.

all in all, get your money back lol

"its for a good cause" hurrr hurr hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
youll hear this all the time but yea this book is fucking basic.
>>
>>30100923
Feels pretty good considering I never had to deploy and never will.
>>
>>30091033
It's not your designated phone time. Reported and staff are on their way. You'll be having words with the warrant. That's cac buddy.
>>
>>30100923
>>30100923
I dont have a girlfriend because my job will require too much of my time and Ill be 3 months on overseas and 3 months off at offut.
Nice try though
>>
>>30100923
Many men... Many many many many men... Wish death upon me...
>>
>>30083236
I just turned 27 and a lot of my co-workers have been in the military or are in the reserve. I always talk to them cause I've considered joining the Army since 2007. They made me realize that my time for joining and trying to do ranger school is running out.
I've been very upset seeing that I should have joined long ago and spent my life working jobs I didn't like.
I've had a girlfriend for 4 years who is perfect and I'd def marry. I explained how I felt and she was crying about separation. She knows I've wanted to do it for a long time.
>>
Spooked by >>30096914
If there's a chance one of my references knows about my past weed use, should I just try to get a waiver?
Would that affect enlistment chances or slow it down?
>>
>>30103085
I'm really conflicted. I seriously think I might regret not doing it for the rest of my life. I'm in good physical condition and I think I'd be a natural.
I grew up having my mom freaking out whenever I mentioned joining the military and now it's my girlfriend. I know if I was single I'd be in the Army though. How can I make her realize it's not the end of the world? There is always the chance I won't make it through selection as well. I would just try to go as far as I can as fast as I can, possibly Green Berets just because I want to take the hardest path for personal accomplishment.
>>
>>30103093
I was trying to explain that it wasn't some immature war obsession and it was about personal accomplishment and knowing my capabilities. If I did make it into Rangers or another SF then I'd have a good chance at having a career training other people. I've known for a long time that I've wanted a firearms related career and have just been working and saving money to have my own machine shop.
I can be doing that kind of work at 40-50-60 there are only so many things I can do while I'm young and I've wasted so much time working in manufacturing, etc for shit I don't have any interest in.
>>
Eyyy lmao, leaving for Army basic in the AM(recruiter is driving me to a hotel then tuesday I take a flight to BCT)
My recruiter and the sheet I got from MEPS and the Fort Sill web sight are all giving me different info, should my underwear be white, or "black or neutral" colored
Can I bring foot powder or will I need to buy some there?
Should I bring running shoes or get new ones there? My current ones are pretty old and Im not in love with them or anything. Should I bring socks or will those also be provided?
>>
Tried to get into the navy but I've been told i have a fucked up heart by doctors.

My recruiter still wants me to keep taking tests but its been 8 months with me just waiting to hear results back from the doctors then my recruiter telling me what I have to do next.

I had not heard from him for a month then he called telling me i need to get a CT scan.

Should I just give up now?
>>
Alright, so I'm 24, college grad, in pretty solid physical shape. Only physical negative is that I wear contact lenses.

I want to join the military to be challenged physically and mentally and, after university and holding a variety of different jobs, nothing satisfies me besides the idea of a combat arms military role. Its literally the only career that inspires any desire in me at this point.

So, I have a limited set of paths I'm interested in:

-18X, with the end goal of getting 18B

-75th Regiment

-Marines with goal of Recon or Scout Sniper (the latter is admittedly a stretch considering my corrected vision but I've heard there are SS with glasses/contacts)

How realistic are these goals? It seems like the US military, since the drawdown, is much less likely to be handing out opportunities for specialized training. The thing is, I have absolutely ZERO interest in doing anything military besides special combat arms. So I don't want to enlist and then wind up doing stupid pog bullshit or get relegated to some weak area.

How difficult is the 18x path right now? (not in terms of the training, but in terms of actually getting the opportunity to try for special forces programs)
>>
>>30103093

Just fucking do it then. If you want to do something, do it. If your GF is worth your while, she will stick around. If not, good riddance.
>>
>>30103417

All the tryhard turds on this site think that they have what it takes to be SF or 75th Ranger Regiment.

If you truly want to live that lifestyle, start training hard physically. There are numerous guides on preparing yourself for SFAS or RIP and how to test yourself to ensure that you'll make the cut.

Every jackass and his buddy thinks they can be a green beret, but few of them ever invest the time to become the best. Getting a cool job in the military isn't hard if you're willing to prepare yourself to do it. You just have to meet the standard, and it isn't a secret what the standards are for any of these courses. Do the research, do the work and then go get the job. If you don't do the work, prepare to be just another 11B in an infantry BCT.
>>
>>30103093

Dump her and do what you want. She'll just end up leaving you while you're in or divorce you and take half your shit plus alimony if you think marriage is the answer to your woes.

If a woman isn't paddling in the same direction as you why the fuck is she in your canoe?
>>
>>30103447
I'm really very aware of the standards. I would never begin to imagine I'm "ready" for either 75th or SF. I know that the training goes beyond what I'm capable of training for and imagining, and that all I can do is be as ready as possible physically and mentally before the start.

What I'm more asking about is the logistical side. How has the drawdown and peacetime nature of the US military affected the chances of completing the path towards SF/75th/Recon Marines?

I'm mainly interested in hearing from people who have actually attempted (successfully or otherwise) any of these paths in recent times, and what their experience was with regards to the selection, etc.
>>
>>30103417

You can go into a recruiters right now and get an 18x or 11x opt 40 contract.

You'll have to let me know how open Recon MOS are with the USMC. SS is something you can only join once you're already in and there's zero guarantee you'll become one so don't waste your time at this juncture pursuing it.

Standards and pre-enlistment fitness regimens to become all these things are googleable.
>>
ENLISTED FAGS

Here is a nice example of all the things that will happen to you if you disobey the UMCJ or do anything that could be interpreted as disrespect to an officer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJKuL8DpyE

Have fun!
>>
Daily reminder: any healthy male 20-30 can easily meet SOF PT in less than a year if they're not a fat body.
>>
>>30103640
Define 'healthy'
>>
>>30083236

Already been in, but 284 is my last test. Honestly hoping for 290 this time.
>>
>>30103420
>>30103456
that doesn't help, that's basically what my co-workers said but they're idiots when dealing with women.
We live together and she's pretty much my only and closest friend.
>>
>>30103735
No one cares. You are a career whino. Everyone ever has met someone like you and usually they realize to drop people like you from their lives. You are needy and likely have tons of undiagnosed mental issues.
>>
>>30103735
Women aren't supposed to be your friend, anon, they're supposed to be your companion.

Find male friends and drop this chick.

>>30103651
1st standard deviation of mental and physical issues.
>>
>>30103735

>asks what to do
>is told what to do
>"that doesn't help"
>>
>>30103504
yeah SS is just a dream of mine, I know you need a couple years under your belt before the selection is even opened. I guess I'll do some more research on the path to a recon battalion, cause thats the only part of the MC I would be interested in pursuing
>>
>>30103762
And how do I figure out if I'm in that 1st deviation or not?
>>
>>30103818
If you have to ask you probably aren't.
>>
>>30095566
The fuck is the BARB? Is it like the US ASVAB?
How is it graded?
>>
>>30103825
Okay thanks doc
>>
>>30103839
I watch a lot of House so, yes, I'm basically a doctor.
>>
At army basic should I get boxers or briefs?
>>
>>30103093

Explain to her that the Army is the best branch to have a married man in. There are Green Berets with wives. If she really loves you, she can deal with the seperation.

But it sounds to me like she's gon hop on jodys dick as soon as youre out the door.
>>
>>30091033
Tell us about it anon
>>
>>30087770
>1A8X1

I recently graduated with a degree in physics and I took two classes in elementary Japanese in my last year. I'm not sure how impressed they will be to hear I have only two elementary courses under my belt, but this interest me.

>Every time I express interest in joining up, everyone I talk to tells me I should become an officer because of my bachelor's degree and because I'll get payed more.

They might be right, but I haven't convinced myself that it's what I want to do.
>>
>>30103940
>There are Green Berets with wives.
But they wife swap. Same as fighter pilots.
>>
>>30104018
What you want to do is be enlisted and instead subjugate yourself under the same position you could have had?

Seems kind of dumb.
>>
>>30104018
>wants to be an officer
>can't spell "paid"
>>
>>30104239

You might say

>interested in "Cryptologic Linguist"
>can't spell "paid"

is more pathetic.
>>
>>30104087
Which is why he'd make a great enlisted fag.
Also he cannot spell.
>>
Anybody know anything about going DHS once you get out of the military?
>>
>>30101286
Agree, like i said i read it and feel the same way about it.
>>30103233
Youll be fine either way
>>30103399
Its your life, if you want it keep trying.
>>
Will I get to do Billy Badass stuff as a linguist in the 75th or would I just be working a glorified desk job?
>>
>>30103479

SF has actually increased size under Obama. They need people more than ever. That being said, the standards are still extremely stringent.

I have several friends who went and made it through. One of the guys that works for me is a tabbed guy who got out of SF because his body couldn't handle it after 8 years. Another friend of mine just went as an officer to SFAS and washed out.

If you go as an enlisted guy, standards will be slightly lower. As an 18X, just understand that the real point of that program is to create airborne qualified 11B for the 82nd. A very low % of people make it through the 18X program to become SF dudes. The majority of people who make it through are already NCOs with plenty of experience and the maturity to make it through the training.
>>
Pilot here for the Army.

I know some of you faggots want to go fly, ask some questions regarding Flight School.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
Hey everybody, civvie here.

I'm thinking about assembling a care package or two and want to know if I should put a few jars of Hershey's Hot Fudge in, among other things.
>>
>>30104728
>SF has actually increased size under Obama. They need people more than ever.
Not that other guy but thats interesting.
>One of the guys that works for me
Im ssure you 2 have talked, what did he say his overall feelings about special forces was? Would he still be in if not for the body problems?
>>30104758
Joke?
>>
>>30104842
No joke, you niggas want some hot fudge? I'm assuming yes
>>
>>30105103
Should send em peanut butter
>>
>>30105103
>>30105312
When we used to get care packages all we cared about was the candy and 5 hour energys. Never got either hot fudge or PB but i would gladly accept both.
>>
When did they stop giving waivers for past depression treatment? I know I'm DQ'd but I'm curious
>>
File: _20160529_153838.jpg (2 MB, 4320x1702) Image search: [Google]
_20160529_153838.jpg
2 MB, 4320x1702
first it says on the website I'm going to Keesler, then Sheppard AFB, and now it just says Sheppard.

guess I'm just glad I got a job in electronics.
>>
>>30104752

>15T crewchief
>got out E4
>am now in 2nd year of college (Anthropology major fwiw)
>what are my chances of getting a slot for OCS/rotary wing after I graduate?
>>
>>30105937
Not sure but id wager when the wars dried up. they arent desperate for people atm so they can choose to be very picky. Give it 5 years max id say and we'll be back in the middle east again and you should have no problem.
>>
>>30106012
You make me hopeful. I'm one of the people who blabbed about having ADHD and as it turns out I also have comorbid condition. Not sure what that means but it makes ADHD more unforgivable than it already is.
>>
>>30105952
>Getting jerked around constantly
>Plans changing non stop
Welcome to the military senpai, all i can say is just go with it and dont sweat it
>>30106083
Well it is what it is at this point. When the branches get desperate and need people they'll start dropping waivers for anything and everything, now when that day will come im not sure. It sounds weird but keep your fingers crossed for a war to start.
>>
>>30104087
>Subjugated myself from the age of 18 to 24.
> Got out and now making comfortably over six figures.

Pretty happy with not going the officer route desu. I went to grad school while enlisted anyways.
>>
>>30104752
you like flying? i'd like to work with planes as an officer but its a 10 year thing with the navy
i might try for an air contract with the muhreens but i dont think i want to fly
>>
How did you all mentally prepare yourself for the armed forces? I realize some of you all have wanted to do this since you were kids, but I'm considering both the enlisted and officer route and I'm wondering how to fight off a few negative thoughts/demons/bad habits in order to be in the best mental conidition to serve.
>>
>>30106551

Make your mind your castle.
No matter what is going on around you or what you are doing physically, with practice you can retreat to a private place in your mind for a break when stuff gets tough.
>>
>>30103735
If you're set on joining the military, but your girlfriend is against it, things aren't going to workout between you.

Best bet is this: Get all the information you possibly can on the career path you want, sit down with her and explain step by step what you'll be doing. That's what I did with my girlfriend (Granted, she likes the idea, except for the 10 weeks of no communication bit).

"I'll be spending 10 weeks here, doing basic. Then I'll go here for AIT for x months, then I'll go to here for jump school for 3 weeks, and then I'll probably go here".
>>
>>30106605
Not the answer I was expecting, but what I think I needed to hear. Thank you. I'll try to build up some more mental fortitude and deal with stress better.
>>
>>30106119
haha, no worries man. been a part of a coast guard family for most of my life so moving around and having plans suddenly change is definitely something I'm used to. just hope that more information comes out for my job for people who are considering it themselves. I went open electrical (which in hindsight could have been very shitty) but I was hoping to get out as soon as I graduate in June.
>>
>>30106691
Ya man the way the Air Force does stuff is very tricky and weird from what i hear. I was Navy so i cant really offer you any insight.
>>
File: 1463411970059.png (273 KB, 424x600) Image search: [Google]
1463411970059.png
273 KB, 424x600
>Make E-4
>Chef says I'm to immediately become their supervisor
>Suddenly have to worry about being responsible for their work ethic
>It's a super junior division (The majority being E-3, myself and Chief) and we're all a bunch of little shitheads (Myself included) and know it

They're my friends, I'm gonna have to change how I operate to get things done. They're not gonna like it but I see no other way. Is this how I become the Villain?
>>
>>30107432

Villains are necessary.
>>
>>30107432
>Is this how I become the Villain?
Basically yes, youll think and most people will say you dont have to be, that you can get things done while still being cool with them and nice. Except thats not how it works at all. Remember when you were E-3 and below and would ignore orders and goof off just cause. Well that isnt going to change with you. Youre gonna have to be an asshole sometimes when they act like that.
>>
>>30107432

My dad was a career NCO. There is only one way to be a boss: half of your men hate you, half love you, but they all must learn to respect you.
>>
File: 1444959345068.png (449 KB, 504x669) Image search: [Google]
1444959345068.png
449 KB, 504x669
>>30107654
>>30107675
>>30107758

Then a villain I will be. As long as I don't let myself become a complete asshole I'll be fine.
>>
How hot are cryptologic linguist jobs right now?

are they dropping those people left and right still
>>
>>30107868

Remember to reward your people too when they deserve it. Don't play favorites and don't suck their dicks, but do reward.
>>
>>30107868
>>
>>30107868
A piece of advise i heard and agree with was "Praise in Public, punish in private".
Treat them sternly but fairly, the way youd want to be treated.
>>
Can anyone currently in the Navy answer me this?

Do you get to pick what type of ship you serve on? I have no issue with going out to sea, but for the love of fuck I do not want to be in a submarine. I know the last accident was in 1963, but holy shit the concept of being trapped in a little can under the sea and if ANYTHING goes wrong you're instantly dead, yeah that spooks me a little.

I'm guessing it's 'needs of the Navy' type stuff and therefore a gamble... fuck
>>
>>30108785
Easy solution: pick a job that never goes to sea.
>>
>>30109025
is there a list somewhere with all the ratings that NEVER have you work in a submarine?
>>
>>30109064
im a Marine Corp poolee so take this with a grain of salt but, i feel like theres only a few specific MOS that would put you in a submarine.
>>
>>30108785
subs are all volunteer
you have to volunteer to be in a sub
>>
>>30097390
lol and they threaten people with huge fines and 2 years in prison

sorry to hear man thats why im avoiding jobs with a TC clearance, got some skeletons that need to stay in the closet
>>
>>30109152
Are you sure about that? I've read some conflicting things

Why in God's name would anybody volunteer to work in a sub?
>>
>>30109170
Extra pay, and some people find it intriguing.

It takes all sorts of people to run the military. I'm glad there are dudes that want to do shit like work on subs and jump out of airplanes. I know I'd hate their jobs and they would probably hate mine.
>>
>>30109164

Pretty much every teenager thinks they have big important secrets, but it's mostly petty shit that a wouldn't matter if they admitted to it.
>>
>>30109383
yeah i used to do a lot of heroin so.....

also im 21
>>
>>30109383

Not him, but I've done some pretty shitty things that weren't illegal but were shitty. Will they care when I'm shooting for TS clearance?
>>
>>30109456
Like what?
>>
>>30109419
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You can get a clearance as a former heroin addict, it is not a disqualifying factor.

You can't join the military with a record like that right now, but you can put it on an SF86 and still get cleared to the highest levels.
>>
>>30109460
watch massive amounts of gay porn
>>
>>30109466
wont they cross check that with your enlistment paperwork and wonder why you lied to enlist then reject your clearance anyways...?
>>
>>30109460

Mostly just fuck with people in legal but unpleasant ways as payback for them previously fucking with me in a similar fashion.
>>
>>30109493
no man there more interested if you have friends in foreign countries/are you a terrorist/ can you be trusted with sensitive info
>>
>>30109502

Oh. Well, I have friends in foreign countries, but mostly just exchange students.

Not a terrorist.

I keep a lot of sensitive info quiet even though I have a freelance journalistic background.
>>
>>30109477
You don't seem to understand how the clearance investigation process works.

The right answer is the same regardless. You tell the truth on the military application too, try for a waiver, and if denied move on to other opportunities. Whether you as apply for a clearance or not has no bearing on this, the military does not do clearance investigations.
>>
>>30109531
yeah dude because no one lies at meps.... right...?
>>
>>30109547
Well "people do" a lot of dumb shit at MEPS. I'm just pointing out that if they're going to be dishonest to get into the military, whether they're applying for a clearance is irrelevant. Different application, SD different process .
>>
>>30108785
>>30109025
>>30109064
>>30109101
>>30109152
>>30109170
>>30109367
Listen, some rates only go on subs and are sub specific. Dont choose one of those.
Some rates can be on both surface and sub, these are the ones that would volunteer to be on a sub for extra pay.
Some rates are only surface rates and would never be on a sub no matter what.
It doesnt make sense to put a helo mechanic on a sub does it?
>>
Which branch of the armed forces is kindest to the medical field?

I'm a first year in physicians assistant school and I came to an epiphany that my life is hollow and devoid of purpose. I'm 29, have no surviving family, have no interest in having a family of my own, have no emotional attachments to any significant other. Hell, I don't have friends. But none of that has bothered me. Just thought about this while sitting here watching some RomCom and how I scrolled through the phone book and didn't have a single person to call and hang out.

So! Instead of killing myself now, I'd like to finish school, join the service and serve that way. I worked as an EMT for 5 years, both volunteering and as a paid guy but never cared enough to dump twenty grand into a paramedic program. I've been awarded department recognition for service and all that fun stuff. The gore and horror doesn't bother me. That's the easy part. The hard part is...well, lol. Stuff.

Anyway, tl;dr: 29m, active lifestyle, PA school, working EMT and experienced, no family, no wife/gf/ or kids. Adapts easily, only guilty pleasure is alcohol and shooting guns. Which branch is best for medical commission?
>>
>>30109764
>medical commission
So you want to be an officer? Not sure in that case. But if you were going enlisted id say navy for sure. That way you could go FMF and work with marines and be far more hands on if you wanted to.
Also
> PA school
What school?
>>
Airborne infantry cool dude willing to answer questions.
>>
>>30109764
For literal medical work, or field casualty/etc type shit?

The most broad and most active amount of medical experience is going to be 18D, Special Forces medical sergeant.

You work your own guys, their family. The foreign dudes you train, and random kids and seniors in less healthy countries.

For just normal medevac shit, a 68W flight medic in active and guard. SOAR is also a great gig.

PJ in USAF does the least intertwined with other guys unless in a STS. PJ pretty much does 99% dustoffs of local militia and civs.

SARC have great training, but don't do anythinf.
>>
>>30109877
Are you in ariborne because you dropped out of 18x?
How was the school? 3 weeks right?
>>
So after this last semester, I feel like I've done nothing good in my life.

I got one more year of Uni left to finish my Bacholors in Mechanical Engineering and considering joining the AF afterward as an officer. Is there anything I should be concerned about having one flat foot? It usually the foot that feels more tired after I go for a run but I I don't let it get to me. Also any advice for preparing to join as an officer? Last thing I saw was to maintain at least a 3.0 GPA if you are doing a STEM related major.
>>
>>30109921
>>30109855

Honestly, lookin more at commissioned than enlisted since I have a BA and am in PA school already @ Rutgers. I'm wondering if my age would DQ me from active service in physically intensive MOS. not that I'm a fat body, I have a 5 minute mile and lift regularly (Powerlifting mostly). Though the age gap is a bit daunting, I also work with some of the dumbest motherfuckers that have ever drawn breath before. They mean well but sometimes, I fear the aid I would receive rather than the bill.
>>
>>30109935
Nope.

Airborne school is easy as fuck. But every Army school you can be dropped for anything retarded because you being dropped from a class is subjective and up to some random cadre.

Its buttfuck week (forgot what its called), tower week, and jump week.

First two weeks you just learn to rig, how to PLF (parachute landing fall), and like how to jump out of an airplane.

Tower week is the 34ft towers to test if you have vertigo and are a pussy (this might be week 1, can't remember). Then its the SLT (?). Something landing trainer. Basically its this rigged up contraption that drops you 12-15 ft while on a cable and drops you randomly and you test your landing to 'verify' that you know how to PLF.

Jump week is 5 jumps, one night jump and one 'combat jump' (when I went it was an old ass backpack, now I hear they actually rig rucks like you do at your unit.)

Each week you do a slow ass 5 mile run. Fall out and you're dropped if you're a male and not an officer or SNCO.

During summer theres only yoga pt (prt) since its like 120 degrees. You also jog everywhere.

Pt test is 60% each event and chin up hang for 30 seconds. If you're a female you can fail and will still be pushed through.
>>
>>30109999
No it shouldn't. As an officer though you will be trained for it, but you will almost never actually do the work.

Enlisted is hands-on, officer is paperwork and supervising.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.