[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of the PIAT?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: PIAT_cropped.jpg (370 KB, 2048x1192) Image search: [Google]
PIAT_cropped.jpg
370 KB, 2048x1192
What do you think of the PIAT?
>>
>>30077021
"piss in a tit"
>>
Never heard of it and it's not issued by my country l, there it's SHIT!

Now that we have that out be of the way, maybe somebody will have some anecdotes or statistics
>>
>>30077021
it is britbong
therefore is shit
/thread
>>
Our boys used them with good effect against german armor in Warsaw Uprising.
That being said, it's a retarded, hard to reload, shoulder braking, peace of garbage made quickly out of desparation.
>>
Future weapon coming back in style to defeat tank trophy systems
>>
>>30077021

So, in an era of almost every AT weapon being recoiless, and has been for decades, we go ahead and shit that idea up by making you shoulder one of those things.
>>
>>30077021
It was shit. It was liable to bend, and if it did it wouldn't fire. It kicked like a mule, was difficult and time consuming to reload, and had somewhat iffy range. When it worked it worked, but I'd prefer to carry something else.
>>
>>30077021
A technological dead end but it did have some neat features.
Firing from enclosed areas, no back blast or smoke to give away your position and considerably quieter than the Bazooka or Panzershrek is some silver lining.
>>
>>30079039
>>30078942
It was only hard to reload the first shot. The propelling charge in the grenade reset the firing spring by recoil.
If you where a weak cunt who could not take the recoil like a man, then you had to manually cock the spring again.
>>
>>30079065
>It was only hard to reload the first shot.
Which is really the most important one, wouldn't you say? And I haven't ever heard good things about the reliability of the self-cocking feature.
>>
>>30079079
True, but the myth that you'd have to manually cock the thing every time is a persistent one that won't die. Just cock the spring before going to battle and you're golden.
Still, the PIAT had many problems and it did kick the shit out of the user, not properly recocking if you where to scrawny.
>>
>>30077021
Looks like I could use it to caulk the seams in my bathroom.
>>
USE the PIAT! *British accent*
>>
These transfer on a regular 4473.
Buddy of mine had one. Only thing I ever dry fired that had a kick!
>>
>>30078867
>tripfag
>shitty opinion
>/threading his own post

ventilate yourself
>>
I heard the Brits often used them to take out snipers
>>
>>30077021
Fucking beasts in Men of War: Assault Squad 2, that's what they are. Wrecking panzers and panzergrenadiers alike.
>>
>>30079065
>If you where a weak cunt who could not take the recoil like a man, then you had to manually cock the spring again.
have you seen photos of soldiers from WW2?
Hardly any of them is pumped, most are skinny, be it german, british, american or any other.
Like I said - polish uprising soldiers used it effectively, (probably due to short range of warsaw uprising encounters) but it's still a shitty weapon, compared to other at weapons at that time. Probably the worse, with terrible accuracy.
>>
>>30077021
Panzerfaust is better
>>
>>30079540
>shitty weapon
It's all relative, given that the other option the bongs had was to run up with a glue grenade and smack it onto the tank, I'd take the PIAT any day.
The added bonus of not roasting yourself when firing from a window or giving away your position is a nice bonus especially in urban areas.
Still it was an evolutionary dead end but confined space capability is really returning in style these days.
>>
Captain (temporary Major) Robert Henry Cain (129484), The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, (attd. The South Staffordshire Regiment) (I Airborne Division) (Salcombe, Devon).

In Holland on 19th September, 1944, Major Cain was commanding a rifle company of the South Staffordshire Regiment during the Battle of Arnhem when his company was cut off from the rest of the battalion and during the next six days was closely engaged with enemy tanks, self-propelled guns and infantry. The Germans made repeated attempts to break into the company position by infiltration and had they succeeded in doing so the whole situation of the Airborne Troops would have been jeopardised.

Major Cain, by his outstanding devotion to duty and remarkable powers of leadership, was to a large extent personally responsible for saving a vital sector from falling into the hands of the enemy.

On 20th September a Tiger tank approached the area held by his company and Major Cain went out alone to deal with it armed with a Piat. Taking up a position he held his fire until the tank was only 20 yards away when he opened up. The tank immediately halted and turned its guns on him, shooting away a corner of the house near where this officer was lying. Although wounded by machine gun bullets and falling masonry, Major Cain continued firing until he had scored several direct hits, immobilised the tank and supervised the bringing up of a 75 mm. howitzer which completely destroyed it. Only then would he consent to have his wounds dressed.
>>
>>30079924
It is said that the VC was not for taking out a tiger tank single hand idly but for foreign the piat more than once, willingly.
>>
>>30079016
>>30079016
>So, in an era of almost every AT weapon being recoiless, and has been for decades, we go ahead and shit that idea up by making you shoulder one of those things.

eh? primary antitank weapons prior to ww2 were all guns or for the man portable stuff AT rifles, recoilless AT weapons werent a thing when the PIAT was invented.

as it stands it was relatively short ranged but its warhead was effective, and it did have some advantages over rocket based systems that compensated for its recoil, specifically it had no backblast so was easier to use from concealment or enclosed spaces, and it had less of a distinct firing signature making it harder to localise the firing position relative to a bazooka or panzershreck
>>
>>30077021
Great weapon overall, more powerful than a bazooka, but poor range and definitely not user-friendly (the spring could fail to rearm if the recoil was not controlled properly, and there were instances of projectiles falling out of the tube).

Could be used in indirect fire easily too (after all, it's based on a mortar), it even had the sights for it.

French resistance liked it a lot.

>>30078942
How did that guy get his hands on a MAS 38?
>>
File: 2v31rvt.jpg (44 KB, 720x472) Image search: [Google]
2v31rvt.jpg
44 KB, 720x472
>>30081495
black market probably, I read stories about partisans buying weapons off of Hungarian soldiers and sympathetic Germans
>pic related, partisan with a M1928
>>
>>30079924
>Major Cain continued firing until he had scored several direct hits, immobilised the tank and supervised the bringing up of a 75 mm. howitzer which completely destroyed it. Only then would he consent to have his wounds dressed.

"Fuck off doc, im trying to kill that tank"
>>
>>30079278
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>30077066
Piss in a twat
Which actually happens to be my fetish
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.