[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /k/'s opinion on stippling and other Glock mods?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11
File: Glock-Profile.jpg (632 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
Glock-Profile.jpg
632 KB, 1200x797
What is /k/'s opinion on stippling and other Glock mods?
>>
>>30073886
stippling is not worth it, individually burning holes with a soldering iron is dumb when you can buy talon grips or similar. Other glock mods like the extended mag and slide release are nice to have i guess
>>
>>30073944
>slide release

Confirmed for know-nothing opinions disregarded
>>
>>30074103
Not that lad, but what are you on about? Are you complaining about the term slide release or are you complaining about an extended slide release?
>>
>>30074103
Are you implying Glocks don't have slide releases? I don't understand what this shitpost is supposed to say.
>>
>>30073886
I think it looks like shit, personally. I'd avoid it, unless it lets you get a good deal on a used one that someone already molested with a soldering iron.
>>
I like the talon grips
>>
>>30073886
I've heard that you can replace the factory guide rod with a tungsten one. Supposedly it reduces felt recoil and makes quick follow up shots easier/more accurate or some shit. I have no idea if this is just a meme though.
>>
>>30073944
The talon grips type stuff can come loose or slide around when the adhesive melts in the heat. Shit's nasty yo.
>>
>>30074148
>>30074123
Might be "it's a slide lock, not release" autism
>>
File: cock your glock.jpg (197 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
cock your glock.jpg
197 KB, 720x960
>>
Sometimes stippling can be done well, but 99% of it is shit-tier disgusting bubba work. Regardless I'm not really a fan either way.
>>
File: 1461591960741.jpg (64 KB, 438x639) Image search: [Google]
1461591960741.jpg
64 KB, 438x639
Stippling and reducing the trigger guard width plus extended slide release are the best things you can do to a glock, other than good sights, if you want to shoot it better. Other than that dry fire it, a lot, and shoot with it, a lot. Let the autists be triggered when you outshoot them with a $400 piece of plastic that you burned with a soldering iron.
>>
>>30074295
Finally someone with some common sense. Who gives a shit what your Glock looks like anyways? They look like fucking shit to begin with. If you want a sexy gun go get a custom 1911 and spend $$$ on flattening the top of the slide and cutting serrations into the back and milling ball cuts into the slide to line up with the dust cover.
>>
>>30074103
Consider suicide you failure of a know-it-all faggot. Even H&K uses the term 'slide release' in their literature. The fact of the matter is that the term 'slide release' is perfectly fucking fine.

http://hkusa.s3.amazonaws.com/20140509153029/USP-Operators-Manual-05312013.pdf
>>
File: IMGP1413.jpg (3 MB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMGP1413.jpg
3 MB, 3072x2048
>>30073886
>stippling
Good way to ruin a gun's resale value. Modify any other part of a gun, but never modify the frame (which has the only serial number that matters to the ATF), if you ever think you MIGHT sell it in the future. I can replace a fucked up magazine release or trigger, but I can't replace the frame without buying a new gun. Same goes with custom paint jobs and other shit that can't be easily removed. Only do that if you are 100% certain you'll never sell it. Or at least, if you're going to modify the frame, do it in the most minor way possible.

>and other Glock mods
Acceptable. I did a few minor mods to my Glock 20:
-added steel night sights
-added extended slide stop/release lever
-added Lone Wolf barrel with land-and-groove rifling
-dremeled a curve into the front of the trigger dingus, so it sits flush with the trigger body when my finger is on the trigger

I also have a heavier trigger return spring and an extended take-down lever on order from Glock Store, and they should actually come in today's mail if anyone is curious how they work and the thread is still up in a few hours.
>>
>>30073886
I've seen maybe 1 good stippling job ever and I think it's done by a Glock modding company, professionally that is.
>>
Is there a reason people just don't use grip tape and decide to devalue their gun by fucking the frame?
>>
>>30073886
>stippling
If you want a better grip just wrap some skateboard tape around the grip, easy to do and easy to undo.
>>
>>30074202
whats the factory guide rod made out of?
Is tungsten significantly heavier?
only way i can imagine it could possibly have any effect on felt recoil is if it was somehow heavier. even then, the difference would probably be negligable
>>
>>30074103
>>30074333
"Slide lock/release/stop/catch" is such a moot point anyway. There are actually guns that have a way to hold open the slide but no control lever to manually release the slide, for example the Beretta Nano, which just has a last round hold-open, but you need to insert a loaded magazine and rack the slide to charge the weapon. However, the vast majority of modern handguns have some variation on the same part serving the same function and with the same purpose. The only difference across is the profile of the gripping surface on top of that lever, which doesn't make as much difference as people try to make it seem. There is also a huge amount of appeal to authority fallacy in these sorts of arguments, which doesn't make any sense. Just because Sig calls the lever a "slide catch," and John Browning called it a "slide stop" doesn't make them inherently different in regard to how they operate.
>>
>>30074369
>selling guns, ever
what a pleb
>>
>>30074369
this.
and modern versions have some pretty nice texturing all over like in that pic anyways. stippling is for bored retards.
>>
>>30074412
Factory guide rods on Glocks are made out of plastic. Like the sights.
>>
>>30074433
OK, bro. Doesn't change the fact that my local Armslist is flooded with stippled "custom" Glocks that people want to get $700 for.
>>
File: GRIP TAPE.jpg (80 KB, 640x398) Image search: [Google]
GRIP TAPE.jpg
80 KB, 640x398
>>30074390
>>30074394
The adhesive on the tape can melt if you live somewhere hot and the tape slides around.
>>
It can look good, and it can look shitty.
>>
>>30074369

see, here's the thing that i don't get. i have a P320. new frames are $40 and are practically disposeable. i find the grip just a bit too slippery for USPSA/3gun competition use. yet /k/ still gives me shit for wanting to stipple it, despite stippling being superior to epoxy/sand or grip tape.
>>
>>30074449
If you own guns to shoot them and to carry them, then at what point does the resale value of a plastic Glock even come into play? I don't ever foresee a situation where I am in such dire financial straits that I need to sell a Glock for crack money.
>>
>>30074485
This is because 50% of /k/ is composed of gun owners rather than actual shooters. The other half are Europoors.
>>
>>30074485
I think we can both agree that modifying a gun for competition is a notable exception. When I look at used race guns on Gunbroker that HAVEN'T been stippled, the guns are so destroyed and beat up that they don't retain much of their retail value anyway. And why should they? Competition shooters shoot their guns a lot and, importantly, get a lot of value out of them. Most people who stipple Glocks are like >>30074484, though, and just do it for vanity purposes, or because they are poor shooters and think the stippling will help them get all their shots in the center of an 18"x24" paper target.
>>
>>30074516
>gun owners rather than actual shooters

Define each pls.
>>
>>30073886
There's only one guy that does it properly. Everyone else is a retard.
>>
>>30074503
Then what I said doesn't apply to you.
>>
>>30074527
He means people who own guns and shoot them extensively vs. people who collect guns but don't shoot them that much. It's an elitist "no true Scotsman" fallacy.
>>
>>30074516

yeah. and i kept on saying "it's literally a disposeable part, people wear them out practicing reloading drills" and people kept giving me the "resale value" argument for something i can swap out in a minute (and might be a good idea to anyway so i can have a stippled one for Production and one with a magwell and stippling for 3gun).

>>30074523

if it's a 2011 you can get a new grip module anyway. just like on my P320
>>
>>30074485
/k/ will give anyone shit for anything.

If you want to stipple your gun and the frame is only $40, then go ahead. The main argument against it for glocks is that, if it's done poorly, it completely devalues the gun because you can't replace the frame without essentially paying for an entirely new gun.

tl;dr Do what you want, they're your guns.
>>
File: 1447807499664.jpg (642 KB, 2200x1467) Image search: [Google]
1447807499664.jpg
642 KB, 2200x1467
>>30073886
Mod it up.
As long as its done right.
>>
>>30074484
>8 round single stack 9mm with glock dimensions and reliability.

That's actually pretty nice. 8/10 would EDC that bad boy.
>>
>>30074546
>if it's a 2011 you can get a new grip module anyway. just like on my P320
A 2011, as in a double stack 1911? Or do you mean Glock will sell you a new frame if your gun is made after 2011? I've never heard of this, so just curious for some clarification. Do you have to send your gun in to the factory?
>>
File: stippled sti.jpg (256 KB, 1017x607) Image search: [Google]
stippled sti.jpg
256 KB, 1017x607
>>30074571

one of these: a double stack, modular 1911 that's most often used in competition.

you can change out your own grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIbMd5Pge3M
>>
>>30074626
OK. I thought the thread was about Glocks?
>>
>>30074542
Am >>30074516, can confirm.

I don't necessarily agree that this is strictly "elitist." I like people who are simply gun owners and I like people who shoot a ton.

That said if all you do with your Glock is plink tin cans at 10 paces, 200 rounds a month, with no timer, I don't see why anyone should listen to your advice about mods. Especially when a lot of anti-stippling people are aggressively stupid about it and really obsessed with "muh resale value" and "muh it looks ugly" for a $500 plastic brick.
>>
File: glock open gun.jpg (89 KB, 630x546) Image search: [Google]
glock open gun.jpg
89 KB, 630x546
>>30074638

they were talking about race guns.

raced glocks are fewer in number.
>>
>>30073886
Exactly this:

Why do people spend hundreds of dollars turning a glock into a non-ambi FNS when the FNS is already $100 cheaper and ambi?
>>
>>30073886
Just get night sights for it and be done with it
>>
>>30074433
As much as I hate to use the word meme, that is one of the shittiest memes on /k/.

If you have a gun you don't like, you get rid of it. Sell it, trade it, give it to someone that needs one what the fuck ever. Its a gun, not an organ.
>>
File: G26grips.jpg (769 KB, 2225x1455) Image search: [Google]
G26grips.jpg
769 KB, 2225x1455
I have seen very few decent stipple jobs. I personally like Brooks Tactical Agrips.
I live in AZ and these have held up amazingly for nearly 2 years now. They work great. Highly recommended. They hold up much longer than Talons in my experience.
>>
File: DSCF0440.jpg (629 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0440.jpg
629 KB, 1600x1200
Both of mine have mods, the 20 has more though.
>>
>>30078090
Did you polish the barrel on the 20 yourself or is it aftermarket?
>>
>>30078537
It's a Stormlake barrel.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.