[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think it would be feasible to load ammo using a vice instead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7
File: 01_f20.jpg (19 KB, 253x287) Image search: [Google]
01_f20.jpg
19 KB, 253x287
Do you think it would be feasible to load ammo using a vice instead of a reloading press?

How much pressure needs to be applied?
>>
>>30072066
Please stop making these shit threads.

Kill yourself at once.

Why aren't the mods handling this shit.

Where the fuck are the janitors.

Fuck you op
>>
No, it would not.
>>
File: 1461334953285-pol.jpg (55 KB, 574x595) Image search: [Google]
1461334953285-pol.jpg
55 KB, 574x595
>>30072075
Or you could just, yknow, not be a dick.
>>
>>30072066
Just try it out. Tear down a few cases and try it out. Report your findings.
>>
>>30072066
holy fuck please leave /k/
>>
>>30072075
/k/ won't get better until we have dedicated, full time mods.
>>
>>30072066
to seat the bullets? not much pressure at all, but thats not even taking into account resizing and crimping the cases
>>
>>30072075
>tripfag
>tripfag buttmad over shit post
>tripfag cries about no mods

Oh boy
>>
>>30072066
you can buy a single stage press on sale for about the same cost as a 6" vise.

there is literally no good reason to even think of such things unless your in a post apocalyptic 3rd world shit hole
>>
File: 1462503679602.jpg (51 KB, 411x358) Image search: [Google]
1462503679602.jpg
51 KB, 411x358
>>30072066
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gYPdNAp9Q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGYUmYLhAo
>>
>>30072772
Whatever happened to this guy? He just stopped posting videos one day.

Did he get v& because of that LMG build he was doing?
>>
>>30072833
he died because of car accident..
>>
>>30072404
Im thinking i might be able to do it with a metal C clamp, if i don't need a lot of pressure
>>
>>30073016

that is a terrible idea and if you don't know why you shouldn't be reloading.
>>
File: 1462887058115.gif (55 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
1462887058115.gif
55 KB, 128x128
>>30072075
>tripfag who can't afford anything more than a $400 AR15

Must suck being a poor faggot.
>>
>>30073084
As i understand it, bullets need to be set to certain lengths, with tolerances of a few thousandths of an inch.

If I cut a block to that particular length, it could serve as a physical stop for the clamp.
>>
>>30072100
Anon could stop being a retard

>>30072249
This

>>30072276
>>30073106
I would never trip again if we could get mods to actually fucking do something. What I want is a higher quality board, tripfag or not.
>>
>>30073216
You know what, fuck you. This board is nothing but the same six memes regurgitated as some poor substitute for a subculture. No amount of mods can fix that, nor should they.

Do your parents a favor and kill yourself, you fucking sperg.
>>
>>30073250
Anon pls go until you're 18 and a little more mature
>>
>>30073261
12 year olds are mature too, anon. The nice old man that lives next door says so
>>
>>30073200

or you could buy a single stage press and not have to deal with that by having the right equipment in the first place.
>>
>>30073280
Do you guys like to pet each others pythons?

>anon

I'm a little triggered
>>
>>30073292
True, but that costs money. I won't be shooting enough for reloading normally to break even versus buying rounds, plus I like the idea of building my own rig.
>>
>>30073438

you're not going to load at enough volume to break even with reloading.

reloading is an expensive way to make cheap ammo, and a cheap way to make accurate ammo.
>>
>>30072772
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7LWCFH5Gc
>How To Reload Primers with Matches
>>
>>30073594
Damn he does videos on guns now?
>>
File: images (3).jpg (17 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
17 KB, 443x332
Just get a LeeLoader set for your calibre.
You just tap it together with a hammer, so yes you could squeeze the die and shellholder together in a vice instead if the tapping is likely to trigger your arseburgers
>>
>>30074072
>reloading like a fucking degenerate
>>
>>30072066
Why is everyone so triggered? It's just a hypothetical.

Can you nigger rig a reloading setup using conventional tools? I want to know too.

You can get primers out using water and anything that fits in the neck.
>>
>>30074233
"We foraged in scoolhouses for the bullets to fill the shells. The brass curtain rods there were made of a good hard metal just a little thicker than a .30-caliber bullet. We cut up the rod into appropriate lengths, then filed the end down to point it. There was an old broken-down Springfield rifle there, and they's stick the bullet in this, take a rod, and try to ram it through. If it went, it fit. If it didn't, they'd file some more.

"For the primer, we used sulpher, mixed with coconut shell carbon. Later, we were able to et hold of some antimony and add it to the mixture. Then it worked 89 to 90 per cent efficiently. Our main source of powder was from Japanese dea mines that we would dismantle. We'd mix in pulverized wood to retard the burning because mine powder is too violent for a rifle bullet. It took us blowing up about five rifles-blowing off the firing pins, the extractors, and the bolts-to find out about that.

"All measuring was done rudely, by thumb and by guess and by God. You'd pour the powder into the cartridge with a little homemade funnel sort of thing until you thought you had enough. Then you;d put the piece off the brass curtain rod into the cartridge and crimp the cartridge around it with a pair of pliers. Presto, you had a bullet. Each bullet had to be tested for fit, because all our cartridges had been fired once or twice or four times before. If the shoulder was too big, we'd crimp it down, If it was too big, we'd say that was fine."

>"American Guerilla in the Philippines", Ira Wolfert
>>
>>30074267
Holy moly
>>
>>30074267
That's some legit stuff
>>
>>30074267
Damn.
What's the source for this? I'd love to give it a read.
>>
>>30074422
You're kidding me.
>>
>>30074072
>mfw my caliber is 8mm mauser
>>
File: shotadmonishes.jpg (92 KB, 363x396) Image search: [Google]
shotadmonishes.jpg
92 KB, 363x396
>>30074267
>For the primer, we used sulpher, mixed with coconut shell carbon
Sure thing, buddy.
>>
>>30072928
Source on that?
>>
I wonder if i can use another bullet as the physical stop for the length..
>>
>>30072075
ha ha u mad son? u mad bro?
>>
>>30075214

no.

for one, a bullet is what leaves the muzzle end of the barrel. a cartridge is the whole bullet, primer, powder, and case combination.

the crimp of the case mouth is what holds the bullet in place. the bullet can be pushed further back into the case.
>>
>>30072066
this faggot thinks he's charles atlas

your pansy-ass noodle arms dont have the strength required to use a vice as a press.
>>
>>30075402
Yeah, the pushed farther back thing is what im worried about. Maybe if i made a cast aluminum replica of the bullet?
>>
>>30075482
at that point you might as well buy a cheap single stage press.
>>
Can a kind anon explain to an idiot why it's a bad idea?

I'm guessing it's just flat out the wrong tool to be using.
>>
>>30072066
stfu edgar no one gives a shit
>>
>>30072066
After reading the posts OP has made in this thread so far i will as a summary question

For what purpose?

You say you do not have the money for reloading tools when small grade reloading tools cost less than a good vise that would give repeatable accurate measured distances

You COULD make a 2 part clash press tool, where the cartridge is held snugly in the lower 1/2 with the neck protruding from the tool

Then make an upper part that has a depth drilled accurate to the length needed, with a relieved shoulder to clear the protruding neck of the lower tool's cartridge The length would be repeatable and set by when the top tool and the bottom tool shoulder to each other, regardless of the forces of the press, then remove the top and try your C-clamp idea on the protruding neck of the cartridge in the lower tool

But by the time you have gotten access to a machine shop with the tools to make that you could have already purchase an ammo press with all the tolerances worked down to levels that are much safer than this hairbrained scheme.

This gives you a press tool usable for 1 cartridge size usable in 12 time longer and 50% more expensive for you to use than if you bought the damn press in the first place, and with theirs your ammo is 9001% less likely to fail over and over with no chance of resetting if you mismeasure the length
>>
>>30075625
Because press tool companies ahave speant thousands designing cheap, safe, reliable press tools to be mass produced to reduce costs further - and this anon thinks he can create something better with 1/2 the knowledge, at a 1/4 the cost with 1/8 of the skill required
>>
>>30072066
If you have trouble spelling vise, you're probably not skilled enough to make cartridges on one.
>>
>>30072066
Jesus H. Christ. A Lee Loader still costs only forty dollars, anon.
>>
>>30076599
A hammer costs $5, use that OP
>>
>>30074206
Kys
>>
>>30076586
Google "vise"
>>
>>30076607
This. Finally some sound advice

>>30076599
The issue with that is i want to load 8mm mauser ammo, and i don't think they have that caliber.
>>
>>30077790
There are Lee reloading dies for every cartridge under the sun.

You make my brain hurt.
>>
>>30077827
Can you use the dies by themselves?
>>
>>30078651

no, you need a press. like we've been telling you to get.
>>
>>30078696
My point, then, is that there are no lee loaders that come in the caliber im looking for, and purchasing a die set doubles the cost.
>>
>>30080595
>durr I am too poor to buy some 150 bucks piece of metal + smaller pieces of metal
>but hey! I got money to pay both for internet AND to buy reloading supplies to a gun
Get a job
J O B
O
B
>>
>>30080901
Im only gonna shoot $50-$100 worth of ammo this summer, and ill be back on campus the rest of the time.
>>
>>30081045
Then buy it like a normal person. You see all the pictures of blown up firearms? That's what happens when you don't know what you're doing, and even suggesting using a vice tells me you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>30081094
The worst that would happen is it'll jam because it's not the right length. People blow guns up by having too hot of a load
>>
>>30074422
retards don't deserve dubs
>>
File: 1336937662945.jpg (44 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1336937662945.jpg
44 KB, 750x600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gYPdNAp9Q0

Y'all niggas ain't thinkin' with portals.
>>
>>30081099

guess what happens to the pressure of your round when you have bullet setback?
>>
>>30073438
The amount of time spent reloading, if only for the sake of "cheap ammo" would be more efficiently spent at a job to just buy pre-made / factory ammo. If you're trying to get more accurate consistent ammo, reloading can work better and easily be cheaper than "match grade" ammo.
>>
>>30080595
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-8mm-mauser

Just fucking buy it before you seat a bullet too deep and blow up whatever piece of shit grandpa's gun you can't afford to own. How are you still alive long enough to gain the semblance of literacy needed to use a fucking keyboard.
>>
>>30081232
>babby doesn't like improvisation
Aww, did i hurt your safety regulated feelings?
>>
>>30081286

we don't like stupidity. do it right or don't do it. you're not a guerilla cobbling together ammo out of scraps.
>>
>>30081298
Get bent. I don't need no stinkin safety margin
>>
>>30081304
Remember to post a picture of your 2-finger hand after you blow up your gun or your improvised press.
>>
>>30081304
When you do stupid shit and get stupid prizes you will be used as yet another bullshit example of why "all gun owners are irresponsible and incapable of safely owning guns" and you fuck over the rest of us. Stop giving the other side examples to use against us. Also is the cost of a die set really too expensive vs keeping your fingers, hand functional, or preventing potential damage to your firearm which given your stingyness I'm guessing is not expensive to begin with? Sounds like yoy can't or won't spend money to fix it if/when it breaks, and if it's older 1. It can be more likely to break, and 2. You're destroying history when it does.
>>
>>30082599
Look, you don't know me. I do shit like this all the time.

I use an induction forge inside my dorm. It's rigged up on ceramic cups so it doesn't burn everything down. I used it for an entire academic year. Did stuff smoke? All the time. But that's only because the forge was cheap chink shit. I understand exactly WHY it melted where it did, and i have plans to modify it so that it doesn't happen again. There were never any problems other than that.

People like you make my life difficult. They look at the things i do, and they get scared. They think ill burn the dorms down, or ill blow something up. They try to stop me. They're always wrong, despite me having to fight them off and simultaneously make sure things don't go wrong.

And if they're right, then I'll be dead and it won't matter anymore. It's called risk taking. The ones that don't become Darwin awards become great (and no, im not just talking about reloading slav ammo).

This thread is mostly hypothetical. But it can be done, even accurately so. Why? Because it's a simple process. Shit, with the right tools i could even make my own dies. And all the press does is move the cartridge against the die the correct distance. You can use anything for that. You could use two blocks of metal and a hammer. A cut length of pipe, and anything flat that can give you enough force to perform the given stages.

It's not rocket science. I would know, I'm an AAE major specing in propulsion and aerodynamics.

>tl;dr it's not even hard, bro. Witness me
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.