[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm watching The Pacific and there's an officer refered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
I'm watching The Pacific and there's an officer refered to as "Gunny"?
What is he?
Why does he scream a lot?
>>
>>30071957

An E7, two ranks higher than a sergeant
He's an NCO, non commissioned officer, referred to as an enlisted man and not a commissioned officer, referred to as officer

He screams because there are a lot of useless idiots in the world and so little time to correct them.
>>
>>30071957
Marines call Gunnery Sergeants Gunnies. All though it's somewhat a term of endearment as well. For instance many people didn't call one of our Gunnery Sergeants Gunny because he was a dick face.
>>
He screams and throws brass at officers because they don't follow his range rules.
>>
Did Haney really even crack at Peleiu?

I could've sworn I heard that both Sledge and Burgin's books said that he removed himself because his body couldn't keep up anymore.

On a side note, I hate how The Pacific doesn't characterize anyone outside of the MC's immediate cliques. You don't know any of the officers or NCOs aside from Haldane, Jones, and Haney. It makes you lose alot of the big picture by just focusing on a rando mortman and a rando machinegunner.
>>
>>30071975
>>30071994
And an NCO is one of those that gets ranks by experience and not reading a book?
>>
>>30072140
NCOs are the people who make things happen and lead at the front. Officers are the ones who think, plan and lead from the rear.
>>
>>30072140
Gunnies are technically Staff NCO's, and can have anywhere between a decade to twenty years experience.

A rifle company (weapons included) most two senior enlisted members are an e-8 1st Sgt and an e7 Gunny.

It's not unheard of a salty Gunny to yell at some 4 year LT if he's in the wrong. All though they will usually do it behind closed doors and not in front of the men.

I've seen them clear out a building telling anyone e6 or below to get out so they could do it.
>>
>>30072122
It was nice that at the ending we got to see them try and integrate back into civilian life. You're right about the lack of supporting cast characterization however. Band of Brothers beat The Pacific at that.

>All those actors who made it big after the series ended
>>
>>30071957
Gunny is a plot device in order to show character progression. Otherwise the audience would like the protagonists even less.
>>
File: 1000yrd.jpg (396 KB, 1000x1288) Image search: [Google]
1000yrd.jpg
396 KB, 1000x1288
>>30072122
"cracked" it was like 100+ degrees on peleiu with no water. he probably went down from a large degree of things including being a 50+ year old man fighting the japs
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.