[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats /k/'s opinion on the Mini 14?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 16
File: 4Mini14.jpg (2 MB, 2912x1044) Image search: [Google]
4Mini14.jpg
2 MB, 2912x1044
>Turning 21 in June
>Getting settlement from car accident 5 years ago
>Doesn't wanna go ARfag route
>See's Mini 14
>Peeks my interest

What's /k/'s general experience with Mini 14's? Are they fine rifles or are they junk? Whats the general price for the ones in .223/5.56?
>Not interested in the ones in 7.62x39 or .300 blackout

I realize for a SHTF situation 5.56 would be all over the place. That's why the Mini 14 interests me.
>>
They're fine. Don't spend more than $500.
>>
You could split the difference and get an Ares SCR op.
>>
>>30008761
Avoid the 90s models and I've also heard some 80s models can be bad too.

Buying used is ideal but for the $1000 for a brand new one is easily justifiable. Some places will throw in an optic mount for free too if you buy new.
>>
File: what.jpg (117 KB, 640x635) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
117 KB, 640x635
>>30008761
>peeks

Well why do you want one and why don't you want an AR?

In my opinion (and it's based only on research, not actual experience keep in mind), it's an unreliable design prone to malfunction, especially when it gets any dirt or sand or anything in it. This is the M1A, but the design/action is the same, just a different caliber: https://www.full30.com/video/6618755f336970e55e6c50c1fe894ff8

I've never heard good things about Mini 14 reliability.

I also just think it's unnecessary. Why wouldn't you buy an AR? It has better ergos/controls, is more reliable, better when suppressed and with optics, just has more knowledge and support out there, and there are just so many options out there on the market it's hard to beat. I mean you can turn it from an almost SMG-like SBR into a precision 600-yard rifle by swapping uppers. That's pretty compelling.

Either that or if you just cannot bring yourself to get an AR, look at like a 5.56 galil or 5.56 AK, or maybe even a bullpup like the AUG or Tavor (I hate bullpups but it's personal preference, some love them).
>>
>>30008761
They're iight. Rugged in the durable sense. They tend to have trouble extracting when introduced to finer particles like sand, however. Overall solid rifle.
>>
>>30008832
Garand family designs are reliable and have always been considered such until memelords like you watched one video and suddenly they're crap in your eyes. Eat shit.
>>
I just bought one op. I wanted something to walk around the woods with since I live in a ban state and sks is the same price. Overall it's very nice shoots steel cased good but magazines are expensive.
>>
>>30008872
>Bububut muh ping!
Oh fudds, never change
>>
>>30008832
Mini 14s are as reliable as the user. If you take care of your guns it will work fine. I don't know what your sources are but they are shitty and you shouldn't use them.

ARs are so average and boring they are the Toyota Camry of guns. Not to mention every AR owner feels the need to talk politics with everybody at the range.

Not to mention that ARs tend to look mallninja as fuck.
>>
OP here, too much of a poorfag to afford 2k bullpups. The reason why the Mini 14 caught my interest is because i realized if i got another AK 7.62x39 might not be a widely available round in wartime if a civil war in the U.S broke out or any SHTF situation in that regard.

I had no idea the Mini 14 received THIS much negative attention.
>>
>>30008951
>This entire post
>>
>>30008761
Soon to be banned in California.
>>
>>30009100
I can tell you that my dad has one, and I've shot it a few times. It seems to be decent, and he loves it. It is not an MOA rifle, and it gave him some mechanical trouble for awhile - unfortunately I don't recall the cause or resolution. But don't let obvious haters affect you - the truth is that it's a solid rifle, perhaps a bit obsolete, doesn't look like a scurry black salt raffle if that's important, requires a little more TLC maybe, it won't move heaven and earth with its capabilities but it's not a bad rifle either.

It'd make a fine primary weapon. I *personally* would go with my AR or Norinco M14, but I would probably take a mini-14 over my WASR 10/63. Make sure you get a chance to shoot it before buying, that'll really be the final word on it.
>>
>>30009151
Is there something I missed or is this just rampant fuddlore? To my knowledge, guns that previously did not require cuck buttons (Like the m14, mini-14, ruger 10/22, etc) are not being banned.
>>
>>30009370
Any rifle with a detachable magazine (that isn't a pistol because dc heller) is to be banned and grandfathered rifles have to be registered.
There is no rimfire exemption.
>>
Buy an AR just don't be a faggot about it. Build it like it's meant to kill people not take effeminate pictures by a stream with
>>
>>30008951
It will function fine on flat, pleasant range conditions. The action is just proven unreliable in adverse environments.

Sure maybe you will never find yourself in an environment like that and you might be just fine, but why take the chance? You are right that it could be reliable if you are dilligent and clean and lube the shit out of it any time it gets some dirt on it, but why not get the more accurate, more reliable, more ergonomic, more customizable, faster to reload and more capable rifle from the start?

It's fine to state that you like a rifle because you are edgy or trying hard to be different or if it's for purely aesthetic reasons, but don't try and ignore the facts. I'm that way about glocks, I fucking hate them. I think they're unergonomic shitballs and ugly and boring and unoriginal as fuck, but they are certainly reliable and they definitely launch bullets as intended.

>>30009100
In my opinion, AR is the best 5.56 platform available at the moment. That may change but right now it's ARs. If I wasn't going for an AR for a 5.56 rifle it would be some AK-type design like a Galil of some sort. Third place for me would be the HK roller locked design (HK33 and clones). To give you some other ideas. I would take all those before the Mini 14.
>>
File: 1462797506885.jpg (27 KB, 508x566) Image search: [Google]
1462797506885.jpg
27 KB, 508x566
>>30008951
>>
File: New California Republic.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
New California Republic.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30008761
I don't think you could go wrong with a Mini-14. Like others have said, it's a reliable rifle based off the M1A and in turn, the M1 Garand. It's got a good pedigree. Just avoid fine dust in the action though. Despite this, and assuming you have a similar outlook to >>30008951 , I would still suggest you go with the AR-15. They're generally cheaper, are reasonably reliable (keep that dust cover closed if you go /out/ ) and parts are everywhere. Even the magazines tend to be cheaper. If you really hate how the mall-ninja crowd ruins the AR-15 though, keep in mind that you can do a lot with them since there's so many different aftermarket parts out there. I'm pointing out the obvious, but not all of them are bad, and there's always something for every occasion.

Crossbow hunting included.
>>
File: Rifle_Ruger-Mini14.jpg (206 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Rifle_Ruger-Mini14.jpg
206 KB, 1024x768
Early 180 model. Great shooter if you aren't being attacked by barns.
>>
>>30009151
Everything but gay sex is soon to be banned in kukofornia.
>>
Mini-14s are fun but they don't stack up with ar15s, especially now that they're more expensive. They are just fine for most tasks you'll use them for so if you just arbitrarily like them more like I do there's not much actual reason to buy a rifle you like less.
>>
>>30009436
Really? Link?

I've only heard that it was for salt weapons. I should go by and see how many thousands of dollars the locas gun stores are selling AR's for right now.
>>
>>30013885
Look up the gunpocalypse thread. I for one think Brown won't sign it and/or it'll be eaten in appeals court.

Buying a bunch of ARs anyway because I made a killing off just one Mini-14 during sandy hook panic buying. Call me a scalper, but money is money.
>>
>>30013885
supposedly they are redefining assault weapon so any semi with a detachable is one
however nobody has details on the actual laws its just gunpocaliyps with short summaries
>>
>>30013917
>Call me a scalper
Nah. I can't grudge you. Whoever bought it could afford it and wanted it badly enough.
>>
>>30013946
He stacked 10 Benjamins on my shooting bench so...
Made even more money on ammo. I had like 3k rounds of steel cased .223 that sold for .75-1$ per. Bought a car and an M1 Garand with the money. Sold the Garand, bought an M14. Now I just got another Mini-14 because I missed the old one that much.
>>
>>30008761

Long ago I owned three.
They patterened. I'd not buy another.

Later, I worked for Ruger. I'd still be hesitant to buy a Mini 14. If they were to change the action to take AR-15 mags, that might change..

I'll leave it at that.
>>
File: KIMG0062.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0062.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
>>30008832
The one thing that amuses me is the rise of the "M1 action is unreliable" meme since around December of last year.

Before then, AR fags would grudgingly acknowledge that under normal conditions the M1 action rifles were generally more reliable under regular use.

A few extreme mud bath videos later, and AR fags fall all over themselves to tell you how unreliable M1 actually are.

Reliability has never been a problem with the Mini 14, with the exception of some sketchy aftermarket magazines.

The main problem with the Mini 14 prior to the 2005 retool was accuracy. They were made with a thin barrel that would heat up under sustained fire and go from cold barrel accuracy of 2 to 3 MOA to minute of pie plate.

Except for the specific target model, the Mini isn't a target rifle, but it does well enough for shooting Yotes or just plinking. I enjoy mine, even if it is an older pencil barrel model.
>>
>>30008761
The Mini 14 piques your interest. Not peeks.
>>
File: Ruger_Mini-14_black.jpg (8 KB, 590x178) Image search: [Google]
Ruger_Mini-14_black.jpg
8 KB, 590x178
>>30008761

Stainless Mini-14's run about $750 on the street new. Good used ones run just about the same price. Excellent basic bullet blasters that are very hard to break. Not much can seriously go wrong with them. If the world blows up it will be perfect.

Accuracy is fine especially in SHTF when you won't even want a scope on it.

Mags are special on them. Ruger mags are expensive but are 100% reliable. After market mags are no worse than after market AR mags and they can be very cheap. I like the 20 rnd mags since they are just the right size.

On slightly annoying thing about them is that Jim Sullivan made them eject brass about 20 yards. No FTE problems here!

If you want all kinds of octopus-like tacticool shit like lasers, lights, tripods, bayonets........ Then get an AR-15.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14
>>
>>30014283
I was gunna say it, but you beat me to it.
>>
It's an alright rifle if you live in a shit state. pencil barrels make for shit accuracy though. still would rather have an AR

My dad has a hardon for these things though. his favorite rifle of all time is a ranch rifle
>>
>>30010500
>The action is just proven unreliable in adverse environments
Thousands of GI's in WWII and Korea would disagree with you. Maybe they didn't intentionally throw their guns in a mudhole. I don't know. And you should probably tell all the Special Forces guys that choose a modernized M14 over the AR platform. I'm sure they're completely wrong.
>>
>>30010500
You literally just said you have no experience with them and now you're an expert on when it will or will not be reliable?

I've owned one for 11 years and have not had even a single issue. And I have gone through 1100 rounds of shitty steel case in one sitting with out cleaning, the only issue was two of the cases actually broke at the rim and I used a pocket knife to pop em out. If that shit is "flat even conditions" in your book you need help.

It has the m1 action which has been proven time and again to be extremely reliable (or was World War fucking 2 just a nice day at the range?). That's against one video of absolutely autistic conditions which you would have to intentionally replicate and won't EVER encounter in any realistic scenario.

Would I pay $750 for one? Fuck no. I got mine for treefiddy

Is it a tackdriver? No, the accu-strut helped but still no.

Do they hate certain mags? Yeah, ruger mags are $25 you cheapass.

In my experience its a fine gun. And that's actual experience that I actually have. Not some video made by a retard that can actually go fuck himself.
>>
File: KIMG0061.jpg (3 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0061.jpg
3 MB, 1836x3264
>>30014451
Try the Tapco Gen 2 mags. They actually work great in mine.
>>
>>30014451
The Tapco Gen 2 mags work great.
>>
>>30013222
Where did you get that wooden heat shield/upper? Looks really slick!
>>
>>30014249
I like mine as well and like yours it has the pencil barrel. After installing an accustrut I observed a marked improvement in accuracy. If you haven't already you should check em out.
>>
>>30008761
>>>30014451
I'll give em a look. Thanks
>>
>>30014451
I never said I was an expert. You made that up yourself. And:

>>30014451
>>30014389
Notice how I said "sure maybe you will never find yourself in an environment like that and you might be just fine, but why take the chance?" Maybe those "thousands of GIs in WWII and Korea" who apparently according to you never had any problems at all never a single malfunction or so much as a hiccup, ended up not getting too dirty. Is that so hard to understand? Just because something is unreliable when covered in mud doesn't make it unreliable when not covered in mud. Another example is the AK. Look at nutnfancy's video on youtube, he never gets covered in mud with his Mini and it runs great for him.

I said that my opinion is based on research, not experience. Don't imagine into something I never tried to be. This is my opinion. I never said I'm the authority. I do think OP should be informed about it as a potential issue that people have talked about though and he can feel free to believe it or try to find evidence to the contrary all he wants.
>>
>>30014577
Nice. I'll have to get my dad to check them out for his
>>
File: KIMG0012.jpg (4 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0012.jpg
4 MB, 3264x1836
>>30014789
I would, but it's a factory folder and has the sling swivel on the side of the gas block. The strut won't lock in on the side swivel gas block. On the up side, I have an original factory folder.
>>
>>30015167
I don't own an AR. My experience with the platform is from my time in the Army. I only know the M16A1 and A2 were finicky bastards that are a bitch to clean. We basically had to run them "dry" in Iraq or the Mojave, and even then the sand got in in a matter of days and fucked them up.

Maybe the newer M4s are better. I don't know. I do know I've got several thousand rounds through my Mini with one malfunction, and that was a broken case head from shitty reloaded ammo that took about 30 seconds to clear. Have you ever tried to get a broken case out of a hot M16 under stress? I have. The closed action means breaking down the rifle and God help you if you don't have a broken case extractor. Instead of a few seconds to clear the jam in the open action M1 Garand action, you're looking at minutes to get your rifle running

As long as we're talking about nightmare scenarios.
>>
>>30015167
If you don't have experience then your opinion is shit and invalid. Fuck off noguns faggot.
>>
File: 1252896814430.jpg (13 KB, 220x251) Image search: [Google]
1252896814430.jpg
13 KB, 220x251
Is there a place where I can get the stock like in anon's pic? >>30015339

I currently got the ranch rifle and would love to mod it out to have the folding stock body.
>>
>>30015714
I'm not noguns, I just don't have a Mini 14 because I don't like them. And I said I'm not an expert multiple times, the fact that you just now realized that is your fault for not being able to read.

>>30015565
Sure. Those are valid points. As I said before, just because it's unreliable with sand blown on it or covered in mud doesn't mean it's unreliable when it's clean. Also I wouldn't call that a malfunction really, that's ammo-related not the gun's fault. And I do agree, these are all nightmare scenarios and I have also been saying that since the beginning. If you never find yourself in those situations then the rifle will probably be fine.
>>
As an owner of both, the AR is more accurate and reliable. The Mini is cooler, more fun, more aesthetic, and girls love to shoot it.

AR is very, very practical. The Mini is very, very cool.
>>
>>30016274
>>30016328
>>30015167
>>30010500
>have m16a1
>powder is a little dirty
>causes major malfunctions in the middle of firefights, contributing to the death of GIs
>I-It's reliable, I s-swear! Ian-san and Karl the Kuck told me so!
>>
File: image.jpg (684 KB, 2543x682) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
684 KB, 2543x682
This thread
>>
>>30016656
stfu ARnigger
>>
>>30014546
Lol you have the exact model and build of ruger that was in GTA Vice City.
>>
File: 1461920398013.gif (333 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1461920398013.gif
333 KB, 150x150
>>30016703
ho lee phuc i never realized the kruger was actually a ruger mini14 time to massage my asshole
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 480x309) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 480x309
>>30016656
>>
>>30008761
AR is a better platform. Aftermarket support is no comparison. Mags are cheaper and plentiful. You can literally have 1 serialized AR lower and it can be whatever you want (pistol - sniper rifle and everything in between)
>>
>>30016656
yes how dare people talk about rifles on a /k/
>>
>>30008872
>have always been considered as such
>until...you watched one video

Well excuse me /k/omrade, but I'll take recorded evidence over testimony any day. SEEING someone experiencing a malfunction in a video is a million times more convincing than testimony alone.

Don't you know how the law works?
>>
>>30014249
Even factory 10 round magazines from ruger suck dick.

5 round is okay and the 20 round is okay, but the 10 rounders just suck.
>>
>>30014546
You play D&D bro?

I noticed your fantasy sculpture.
>>
>>30008761
Even a stock Ares SCR with it's pencil barrel knocks the shit out of a mini 14 in the accuracy department and it has the benefit of using AR mags.
>>
>>30016435
>not knowing the difference between the XM16, M16, and M16A1.

Stop getting your gun facts from max brooks you faggot
>>
>>30008761
>>30008761

overpriced shit. would consider buying one if i could get it for less than 200 bucks though, just as an inaccurate cheap blaster
>>
it's spelled piqued anon.
>>
>>30008761
As someone who owns both rifles, and got the mini 14 first, I would strongly suggest you get the AR, especially if you're thinking in a SHTF scenario.

It's just a better gun.

Get an AR, good Shotgun, A glock, and a Revolver.
>>
I wouldn't buy one unless you're in a commie state. I've had plenty of problems with mine. The trigger guard got bent of shape with a normal disassembly, mags don't feed well and they're also overpriced. My rear sight post shakes loose after a couple dozen rounds and loses zero. And the action gets really stiff if it get dusty.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.