[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
US subs to get drones soon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: blackwing-drone-5-ed.jpg (31 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
blackwing-drone-5-ed.jpg
31 KB, 700x394
>http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/19/the-navy-is-arming-its-submarines-with-blackwing-spy-drones/

>The Navy recently announced its plans to deploy an armada of stealthy spy drones from AeroVironment aboard its submarines and UUVs. Specifically, the Navy is going with the small-form "Blackwing" UAV, a four-pound flyer with a 20 inch wingspan that collapses down to fit into a 3-inch diameter launch tube. It will use its array of electro-optical and infrared sensors as well as its anti-spoofing GPS capability to act as the submersible's remote eyes and ears.

Neat. I wonder what it's range and capabilities are.
>>
>>30008214
How do we get them back after deployment? Are they recoverable? Or is it $40 million down the tube everytime a sub captain wants to take a look around up top?
>>
>>30008214
That's gay.

We need mini sub drones that launch from the torpedo tubes that then launch their own little mini drones from tiny ICBM like missile tubes
>>
File: 1405915760613.jpg (259 KB, 1504x1680) Image search: [Google]
1405915760613.jpg
259 KB, 1504x1680
>>30008294

I figure they're probably disposable and "cheap" with off the shelf hardware for the most part when they inevitably wash up on China's fancy new airstrips they're building in the SCS.
>>
>>30008315
Why not make them double as missiles?
>>
>>30008312
Underrated.
>>
Can't imagine that'd be very useful
You'd have to surface or near surface to launch and communicate
Unless you use a floating wire antenna, but not only are those usually ELF, but you have to be reasonably shallow for them as well

A submarine on the surface is a dead submarine
>>
<<Scinfaxi launching carrier jets!>>
>>
>>30008445

Because they already have missiles?

>>30008482

They're probably filling some very niche role. How they're guided/communicate isn't known so we don't really know how they're planning to be used. My guess is somewhere in the South China Sea.
>>
File: I400-3.jpg (85 KB, 1200x709) Image search: [Google]
I400-3.jpg
85 KB, 1200x709
>>30008214
I-400-class submarine in 21st century!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-400-class_submarine

They were submarine aircraft carriers able to carry three Aichi M6A Seiran aircraft underwater to their destinations.
>>
>>30008482
Use Li-Fi with a buoy relay, maybe?
>>
>>30008598
That would be one awesome platform type for STOVL aircraft like the F-35B and V-22.
>>
>>30008214
already have them. They are called tomahawk cruise missiles.

Not being a dick, just informing for most who dont know:

Most modern missiles have two way datalinks, ability to maneuver, ability to abort, sensors, etc.

they are drones. just very purpose built drones. A cruise missile can linger though, and has a turbojet engine (usually), making it in effect, a proper "drone" as the public would recognize one.

Shit, you can even get video observation from some models.
>>
>>30009131

This new one is probably much cheaper than a tomahawk and is purpose built for observation and loiter.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.