[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Soda Can Bomb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: soda can bomb.jpg (55 KB, 1067x600) Image search: [Google]
soda can bomb.jpg
55 KB, 1067x600
Could something like this really have brought down the EgyptAir flight? What did it do, blow off part of the fuselage-tail section?
>>
>>30001165
Confined space, it could have, though I understand your skepticism
>>
>>30001165
Maybe but it was probably an achmed tier mechanic who didnt notice there was a fucking bolt loose or twenty considering it was going to cairo
>>
>>30001165
Asked my buddy who does this kinda assessment for a living.

Basically what happens is that the plane is carefully constructed to make air go around it (obviously). Basically any sudden depressurization (ie., a small hole) can cause a disturbance in the frame. When you are flying that fast the air itself is basically a concrete wall, and you want it to flow around you. When the plane lost structural integrity it literally tore itself apart because the air resistance was so huge. It's like jumping into the water from a bridge. Easy enough, just water right? Wrong. At terminal velocity it's basically rock. Buuttt if you have the right shape and components it can be done.

Tl;DR- the structure failed and the plane ripped apart due to high speed, easily possible if the bomb damaged the frame and caused a hole.
>>
>>30001227
Planes have had the skin of the passenger compartment torn off and still landed safely. Although most of the time everybody dies
>>
Depends on the explosive I guess.

I hear just grams of semtex can tear up the fuselage, and that's enough.

A whole can of semtex should be much more powerful
>>
>>30001227
>Basically what happens is that the plane is carefully constructed to make air go around it (obviously). Basically any sudden depressurization (ie., a small hole) can cause a disturbance in the frame. When you are flying that fast the air itself is basically a concrete wall, and you want it to flow around you. When the plane lost structural integrity it literally tore itself apart because the air resistance was so huge. It's like jumping into the water from a bridge. Easy enough, just water right? Wrong. At terminal velocity it's basically rock. Buuttt if you have the right shape and components it can be done.

I can buy this.

Well then this is a big fucking deal. These tiny little shit tier bombs- albeit made of high grade explosives- are now capable of bringing down anything in the air. Not hard to get on board. This is a game changer. At least until terrorists get bored with blowing up commercial airliners.
>>
>>30001252
Usually the cases you are referencing involve low altitude slow accidents though. When they get over a certain altitude they generally gun it for efficiency and speed.

>>30001289
This is something people have been concerned about for a while.

This is literally why you can only bring X ounces of fluid on a plane.

What is most distressing is that Egypt airlines had a second incident in a year. Their security is such a shit show that when Britain came for its people that Britain brought its own security iirc. That's HUMILIATING. It means that Egyptian security CANNOT be trusted to do a basic job, has members who are directly complicit, or are being paid off.

Basically incompetence, collusion, or bribery is what killed these people. Again.

Malaysia at least had no power of their incidents. This is another Egyptian fuckup that shows the tentacles of isis or whatever terrorist cells are spreading even as the war heats up.
>>
>>30001165
If something that small was able to bring down a plane it probably would have been because it damaged control lines or caused a fire.

>>30001227
This 737 had massive failure from fatigue while in flight and landed fine. Only fatality was the flight attendant who was standing in the aisle when the roof went. The is also United Flight 811 where a cargo door broke open ripping a massive hole in the starboard side. Only fatalities were those whose seats were knocked out of the plane near the hole.
>>
File: boom.jpg (82 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
boom.jpg
82 KB, 360x240
>>30002216
Forgot pic of 737
>>
>>30002216
>The flight attendant.
Isn't that the same thing from 1000 Ways To Die? Thought all the shit on there was fake.
>>
According to the official inquiry, the charge that brought down Pan Am 103 was only a pound of Semtex.

It's totally feasible that a soda can worth of explosives at maximum altitude could cause such severe structural damage that it crashes the plane.

A plane is essentially a giant pressure vessel. Imagine setting off a cherry bomb in a pressure cooker while it's on, and you get some idea of what happens.
>>
>>30002216
part of the reason why they lived was they were at a relatively low altitude and the pilot lost altitude quick to keep oxygen content enough to live off of.
over like 20k feet if you depressurize, you are fucked.
>>30002459
>only a pound of semtex
>"only"
thats a lot of fucking semtex in terms of fuck shit up power
>>
>>30002493
They were both above 20,000ft when it happened. Passengers get 10 minutes of oxygen air below 10,000 ft is easily breathable, I think the EgyptAir flight was at 37,000ft so the plane would have need to descend at a minimum of 2,700ft/min which should easily be possible and safe.
>>
>>30002245

Holy shit.
>>
>Could something like this really have brought down the EgyptAir flight? What did it do, blow off part of the fuselage-tail section?

>EgyptAir Flight 804: Airline official says debris not from plane

No
>>
>>30001227
>when you are flying that fast the air itself is like a concrete wall
Commercial airliners are pretty fucking slow m8. Like, maybe 350mph.

The rest of the assessment is correct. Unexpected/uncontrolled wind resistance can fuck something up even at low speeds. Happens all the time in car racing.
>>
>>30002459
>only a pound of Semtex
Not sure if you're aware of this but a pound of Semtex is about half the size of a cinder block. It's a LOT of fucking Semtex. It's the forerunner to C4 and has very similar weight per volume, and the standard block of C4 you see in all the movies and photos is only a quarter pound.
>>
>>30001526
This plane left Paris for Cairo though, so it's French security that failed.
>>
>>30002245

> Get a convertible, they said
>>
>>30003057
Well, the volume of a soda can is about 355 cm2.

Semtex has a density of about 1.5 g/cm2

So I'm getting that you can get just over a pound worth of Semtex in a soda can.

Presumably if you wanted to be clever, you could use HMX or some kind of thermobaric.
>>
File: 1435627410555.jpg (19 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1435627410555.jpg
19 KB, 413x395
>>30003168
>>
>>30003015
Commercial airliners fly at around 500kts TAS, give or take- or about 600mph or so
>>
>>30001165
Yes. Something like this could bring an airplane down.

Best place to use it would be in the rear lavitory. Pressed between the outer cabin wall and your body.

That would give the greatest chance of disabling or distroying the rudder and elevator and their controls.

An airplane sans tail is not in flight for long.
>>
>>30003187
If ypu got one on... It isnt hard to get 2.
>>
The explosive they are using is. TATP
(acetone peroxide)

It has an RE of .8 semtex is 1.35. TNT is 1.0

2 cans full would make a mess .
>>
>>30003153
Oh whoops, that's a major fuckup on my part then.

France is less and less safe, has been getting that way.

Paris is now like a third Muslim. I don't see these attacks going away...
>>
>>30003187
Except that's crazy overkill, a pound of Semtex is a lot of boom for a plane
>>
>>30004407
Uhh no they don't.

They may have a top speed that high but the dude before was correct. They fly at around 350 mph
>>
>>30003168

heh
>>
>>30002432
Dude. That whole show is dedicated to showing you shitty ways people have died. All of it is indeed possible.
>>
>>30003187
Just nitpicking here, but you used units for surface area, not volume. Or density.

But yeah, I did the math as well and got something like 1.13 pounds of semtex.

Having seen what a fucking firecracker can do to a person's hand, I have NO desire to be that close to a fucking pound of semtex.
>>
>>30010236
350 is pretty slow for a jet
>>
Absolutely.

Planes are not as strong as people believe. Passenger planes anyway.
>>
>>30001165
Very likely you could bring down a plane with a mercury thermometer if you know what you are doing. A blasting cap like that is more than enough.
>>
>>30001165

compression is the buzzword here

you can fit 3 kilograms of explosives in a soda can, i am not kidding you.
Depends of course on the type of explosive, yet it is very possible to craft a polymer-bonded explosive and blow a large enough hole into a jet that he crashes
>>
>>30001165
I say no. You can watch demolitions demos on youtube and such of people setting bigger charges on things like school buses, it doesn't nearly do as much damage as you think it would.
>>
>>30004711
The egyptair flight didn't crash, it straight up blew into pieces mid air.
>>
i heard of a case where a jihadist blew himself up and he was sitting in a window seat and he just flew out of the hole and everyone else was fine.
>>
>>30010424
If you're on the plane when it goes off, I'd honestly rather be right next to it than have to deal with a 400 mile an hour rendezvous with paradise.
>>
Smoke reported aboard aircraft before contact lost could be indicative of an electrical alarm, simple fuse or improvised chemical decay detonator.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.