[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the earliest examples of magazine pull tabs being a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
File: clip_pull.jpg (48 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
clip_pull.jpg
48 KB, 620x465
What are the earliest examples of magazine pull tabs being a thing? Was it done in Desert Storm? Vietnam? Did dues do it with carbines in WW2?

What is the oldest picture we have of one?
>>
File: 001-1[1].jpg (137 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
001-1[1].jpg
137 KB, 1024x768
>>29998590
That is doing it wrong.

you tie a loop of hollow 550 cord and put it under the mag floor plate.
>>
>>29998607
It's just a google picture of the concept. And it's been done a million different ways, so whatever, it ain't in a TRADOC manual.
>>
File: 1451866055900.jpg (48 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1451866055900.jpg
48 KB, 700x500
>>29998590
>>29998607
none of this shit works. It rivals the old pog's tale of strapping a spare mag onto the butt of your stock.

Nothing but tacticool pogshit
>>
>>29998630
>t. Dead guy who ran out of ammo
>>
>>29998630
Hmmm never thought of that

>there is never enough ammo
>>
>>29998630
mag pouch slings are just convenient. when you have to carry a rifle with at all times when deployed and at least magazine of ammo, but are not allowed to have the magazine in the weapon normally.
>>
>>29998630
That had to do with fucktarded Unit SOP's.
Even grunts had to do this shit way back when dependent on brigade because some pog fucknut shot his toe off when it was supposed to be mag loaded on empty chamber
>>
File: me and swartz.jpg (303 KB, 1173x794) Image search: [Google]
me and swartz.jpg
303 KB, 1173x794
>>29998590
We were taught to use 550 cord and 100 mph tape for that. I served during the cold war back in the 80s.
>>
>>29998590
Does grabbing the magazine itself and pulling down just not work anymore?
>>
>>29999163

Amateur. Only a low speed high drag POG would be so churlish as to allow a filthy magazine body to touch their hands.
>>
>>29999163
Sometimes they are hard to get out of pouches, especially old shit like the ALICE pouches where the mags were jammed in and the pouch was tall. Some people like tabs, some don't use 'em, but it's common.

>>29999054
I like your posts. Wish you had more modern OC of mementos or whatever you've got.
>>
>>29999163
It's okay to be an inexperienced dumb fuck. Don't fault yourself. We all need to be trained and have to start somewhere. The pull cords are there for quick retrieval from your ammo pouch.
>>
>>29999163
it means nothing while in the gun, its all about yanking it from a pouch.
>>
>>29999191
This.

>>29999054
This.

My father was in the 75th Rangers in the 80s, the reason for adding a loop is because sometimes its a bitch to get them out of double alice mag pouches.
>>
File: 241989.jpg (347 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
241989.jpg
347 KB, 880x660
>>29999163
It's supposed to be for pulling the mags out of pouches, not getting them out of the gun.

They're useless with modern tactical gear, but I found 100mph tape + paracord pulls to be quite useful back in the day when I had my mags in old-school surplus multi-mag pouches, which swallow most of the mag and don't give you much room to grab onto them.
>>
File: DSC05045_3_mag_5.5.6.jpg (433 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
DSC05045_3_mag_5.5.6.jpg
433 KB, 2048x2048
>>29999223
why did that configuration fall out of use anyways?
seems like 3 magsstacked like is way more compact than 3 mags set up like this.

im aware those magpouches kinda suck to use but theres got to be a reason theres no modern equivalent. you could redesign that so it wasnt a pain in the ass
>>
>>29998590
in ancient china they used to duct tape rope to their swords to be able to draw faster
>>
>>29999300
David used a quick draw on his rock while battling the goliath.
>>
>>29999285
>The magazines are facing forward and the pouch has a rigid liner, so the pouch doesn't get any flatter when you start pulling them out.
>Pouch sticks out hella far. It's kind ok on a belt, but sucks for any kind of chest mounting.
>Buckle is a pain.

Basically, slimmer and less rigid pouches are better on vests or chest rigs, and when everybody went that direction the ALICE fell out of favor. Soldiers that still use belts want to keep the light, so they only get a few mags on them and the slimness of a pouch is desirable.

The closest to a modern ALICE pouch is a SAW ammo pouch. Big, has a buckle- and people *do* sometimes use them for rifle mags. Most people like to spread out mags thinly though.
>>
>>29999223
In combat, I was geeked to finally use the grenade slots on my ammo pouches. Major disappointment. They fit like a fat chick in ballerina tights. We stowed them on our LBE straps.
>>
>>29999285
With the advent of MOLLE and PALS, having flat shingles across a broad portion of one's vest is not going to take up as much relative real estate, while also preventing the pouches from getting caught on as much shit.
>>
File: crappy drawing.jpg (32 KB, 599x679) Image search: [Google]
crappy drawing.jpg
32 KB, 599x679
>>29999375
well yeah all of those are flaws of alice but why isnt their a modern pouch set up like this?
if you made it out of the same cordura as the modern ones it would be flexible enough and you could use the same string setup for retention
>>
File: image.png (442 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
442 KB, 1136x640
>>29999542
Behold the SAW pouch. It exists. Some people use it.

Most people don't do this because look, even in your picture the mags are still facing outwards. People like their mags to lay flat, and once you start getting fatter than two mags, you stick out a lot.
>>
>>29999643
so its still a viable enough concept that people do do it. ok.
>even in your picture the mags are still facing outwards
well yeah thats the whole point. the question isnt is there a modern alice. its why did they stop doing that config?
seems like the main complaint is sticking out but you could just move the pouches to the sides instead of on your belly.
though i guess that area could be already taken up by other gear.
probably has something to do with the widespread adoption of body armor.
>>
>>29999948
People like to get flat to the ground and not have large protrusions sticking out of their fronts. Gear on your front is the most accessible by either arm, so it's the best place to put combat equipment you need to get to in a hurry. Excessively bulky equipment on your sides will obstruct your pistol draw or access to belt mounted mag pouches.
>>
>>30000029
Plus, most conventional soldiers aren't issued and don't wear a belt/firstline (this is changing, but more people don't use them than people who do). So everything goes on the vest.

Sticking an ALICE sized ammo pouch on the side of your vest so that you can go prone would suck balls in pretty much every way in regard to both just moving around and with actually getting the mags. Sticking the pouch on your front sucks for prone, which is why most people don't do it. 99% of the people using SAW pouches have SAW ammo in them.

But there's always the guy who does his shit diffferently, so meh.
>>
>>30000029
how many mags are you carrying if youve got mags on a vest/plate carrier and on your belt?
im not criticizing you or advocating that that config is better. just trying to fully understand why its bad.

from what im hearing seems like theres a viable untapped market for civilians who arent wearing body armor but want to carry a large amount of mags.
maybe in a bandolier or satchel config.
>>
>>30000173
>how many mags are you carrying if youve got mags on a vest/plate carrier and on your belt?

As a military shooty dijibooty, I carried a standard of 6 rifle mags on my vest. Normal in the belt was none, but I could up it to 4 mags in a reserve buttpack for a longer mission if I felt they might be needed.

>from what im hearing seems like theres a viable untapped market for civilians who arent wearing body armor but want to carry a large amount of mags.
>maybe in a bandolier or satchel config.

I, I just don't see it. Civilians into tacticool shit want to be able to have as much comfort and flexibility as soldiers. Look at the emerging popularity of the TAPS vest. 7 mags across your chest in ultra low profile ("low profile" meaning snaggage, not 007 Grey Man shit).

Civilians into three gun and shit want speed and not a ton of mags.
>>
File: A1LVKhjQ3VL._UX522_.jpg (42 KB, 522x392) Image search: [Google]
A1LVKhjQ3VL._UX522_.jpg
42 KB, 522x392
>>30000232
youve got 7 mags it the saw pouch too
taps looks neat
well theres tacticool and their practical as in i just need 6-7 mags with me dont need anything else just the mags
though at that point there's no reason to go for that config vs those 3 or 6 molle bandoliers
>>
>>30000173
Do you have 3 ar mags lying around? Stack them then lay down on top of it. Then repeat with just one magazine
>>
They have been doing it forever. There are examples in the Springfield museum where GIs duct tapes paracord to Garand clips in WW2.
>>
>>29999179
kekle'd
>>29999212
Oh, fuck, why'd that never click till now.

I always saw them and imagined some guy diving under the mag with his one index finger and yanking it out by the tab.
>>
>>29998590
Wait wouldnt using tabs actually be worse?

>pulling on a small tab vs pulling on entire mag

Lol I bet u guise use your slide stop on your handguns instead of pulling back the slide when reloading
>>
>>30002273
depends on the pouch.with
>>29999223
>>29999643
not much mag is exposed
>>
>>30002273
>believing in the gross motor skills meme
>>
>>30002356
>disputing science

Get out of here you damn noguns
>>
>>30002404
>thinking you can't hit the slide stop but somehow you're going to be able to press the trigger correctly or hit the mag release

sorry bud this is "science" that has already been disproven by the past 1.5 decades of combat
>>
>>30002440
Thank you for your service
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.